Tinnitus Research Initiative (TRI) 2023 Conference

Discussion in 'Research News' started by Hazel, Jun 1, 2023.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Hazel Director Staff Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      one-sided hearing loss (of unknown origin)
      I will respond below to some of the questions and requests above. In the meantime, note that we changed the Irish dancing photo in my post above to a video, just for fun. Interesting anecdote, they had the music so loud at this event that many complained until they turned the music down — how ironic at a tinnitus conference :wideyed:
      The talk was interesting, though to my understanding only based on animal models so far. Are you sure there's a human trial going on?

EDIT: I checked and you're right. I even met Dr. Jinsheng Zhang at the conference and got his email! Interestingly, the results he presented at the conference were only regarding his studies on rats, see attached slide. I suppose that's because the human trial is still running. To my knowledge, Dr. Jinsheng Zhang and Prof. Shaowen Bao are not directly collaborating on this topic.

slide-zhang.jpg
      I really liked Arnaud's talk — and I like his research in general because he's such a versatile researcher and has looked at tinnitus from many angles. His talk was interesting because he provided an explanation for certain symptoms that I often hear people on this forum complain about and never understood, like ear fullness and other strange sensations in the ear. I attached one of his slides, but have emailed him to ask whether he could share his full slide deck.

slide-arnaud.jpg
      This session happened to coincide with my talk, which is why I was unable to attend. I do know Sarah Michiels — one of the speakers and a key researcher in this area — quite well. I can ask her these questions via email.
      A few thoughts on this:
      • There was definitely a lot of talk about cross-functional collaboration, and even a dedicated session about this, but not much action yet.

• Regarding asking researchers what they think about development x or y — I'm afraid I didn't have much time for that. (We hope to bring more of you guys to Vancouver next year so that we'll have more manpower to follow up on all the requests from this community!) I do know from experience though that most researchers only know what's going on in their particular niche.

• In addition to Ana Elgoyhen, there is a Brazilian couple that has for many years been testing existing FDA approved drugs for efficacy in treating tinnitus, you can find more about their work here.

• With regard to HCN2 and other potential drug candidates — e.g., the TNF alpha blocker discussed at the conference — these are just animal studies so far, which is basically the case for nearly all new drug candidates for tinnitus. We know that 90% of drug candidates do not survive the transition from animal to human models, and I wouldn't be surprised if the odds are even worse for tinnitus; not to mention that the process can take decades. None of this is meant to discount your comments about the need for pharmacology, which I agree with. I just mean to provide some context for those who tend to get their hopes up when hearing about animal studies.

• I agree that electrical stimulation to the inner ear is promising. In addition to Dr Djalilian — whom we interviewed for the Tinnitus Talk Podcast — Kelly Assouly (former TIN-ACT student now working for Cochlear) has done some work on this (although that's a bit different because it's specific to cochlear implants) and there is a German group working on something similar and the Mayo Clinic is doing a trial as well. So definitely an interesting and active field, but indeed not discussed at the conference at all. Kelly Assouly was however at the conference and she remains interested in this; she is trying to put together a business case for Cochlear to invest more (or more directly rather) in tinnitus treatments.
      There weren't many clinicians at the conference (although Dr. Golenhofen was there!) but I did mention specifically in my talk the need to do deeper analysis on clinical trial results to find out why certain treatments only work for certain groups of patients. It's a pet peeve of mine that they're presenting all these trial results at the conference, always with a note of "well, we had this group of responders and this other group of non-responders but we don't know why".
      That's exactly my view, and what I told these psychologists too. I am actually a firm believer in offering psychological counseling to anyone who wants it, whether for tinnitus or any other reason. Research priorities are however a whole different ballgame!
      I believe that is indeed what they were suggesting, though I still fail to see the link myself!
      It's a hard question. Indeed the last major TRI conference was in 2o19 in Taipei. I can't really say that we've progressed very much since then, in the sense of any major breakthroughs. There's definitely a lot of new work in many areas like neuromodulation, electrical and magnetic stimulation, animal models, and much more. But so far, it's all just pieces of the puzzle. I will say that hyperacusis is definitely getting a whole lot more attention now than a few years ago.

• Like Like x 5
      • Winner Winner x 5
      • Informative Informative x 1
    2. gameover

gameover Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise+sinus
      Just shows how medieval the science is when it comes to brain disorders. Maybe in 50-100 years they'll figure out something.

• Agree Agree x 4
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    3. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It's very disappointing indeed. No breakthrough seems to be coming in the next decade. Research is still in the early stages.

Think about cancer. They still can't beat most forms of it. Brain issues are much more complex... so sad.

There are too few tinnitus researchers and they don't have the funding to move forward.

• Hug Hug x 3
      • Agree Agree x 2
    4. Nick47

Nick47 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      @EDDTEKK, have we not recently had a breakthrough (Dr. Shore's device)? Plus, there are ongoing trials (TNF-a, Pimozide, SAGE-547) taking place.

• Agree Agree x 7
      • Friendly Friendly x 1
    5. EDDTEKK

EDDTEKK Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Oh, sorry. Yes, you are right. Dr. Shore's treatment might be a breakthrough! We need to see it in the real world.

I was referring to the attendees at the TRI 2023 conference.

• Like Like x 2
    6. Joeseph Stope
      Innocent

Joeseph Stope Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise? infection? negative stress? other?
      My take on the Tinnitus Research Initiative 2023 Conference's closing lectures

Where to begin? Well, short story long, I recall nearly twenty years back, at the University of Galway, they used to invite someone from out there in the world at large -- away from academia -- to give a talk in the evenings ca. 21:00.

My interest was awakened when I heard that Colm O'Gorman, quite a charismatic speaker and a survivor of child abuse, was going to speak on the panel about child-abuse, institutions, clergy etc. Big disappointment then when, pretty tired after the day's stint, waiting and waiting -- and he never showed up. The second speaker went on and on about the awful time he had and the abuse he received from clergymen and although he had all our sympathy, he just couldn't raise the spirit of either me or most of the audience. I was tired, I was cold, I was hungry and was waiting for him to wind up I could slip out unnoticed and go home. (The next speaker was a black lady). So when the speaker finished up I was 4th or 5th out the door (leading the stampede).

Well, once I was out the door, I realized... I just couldn't do this. Noblesse Oblige etc., and I went back in to the 3/4 empty auditorium to hear the black lady's speech dealing with her time growing up as a black child in an orphanage run by nuns. The moral of all this: Well if I ever get to heaven, it will be because I went back in those double-doors and took my place so that she would be talking to an audience of twenty one instead of twenty.
      And the lady was good. She kept it short, she went straight to the point and she connected to the audience.

It was somewhat similar at the Tinnitus Research Initiative conference. The organizers chose an auditorium which had sound-proofing on three sides, so although I could physically hear the sound of the lectures, the to and from of the questions at question-time was audible but muffled and hard to follow. The speakers dealt with an amazing range of topics -- kind of distant from the subject of tinnitus... such as the power of dance and the El Camino pilgrimage in Spain, the benefits of participating in a choir, the value of involving the tinnitus sufferers in with the community to make themselves visible and heard, CBT... and while I was sitting at the back like those members of the Muppet show... Waldorf & Stadler? I can see the value of it all and I got a good view of how the machinery of the Tinnitus Industry and how it's components actually work.

The dance, choir, and other lectures in this vein are so as to lift your spirits and help you get on with things (well, as we all know, there is no cure), and these are good for loadza things like obesity, depressions and such-like. Getting involved with the public, getting visible so as to put pressure on politicians to increase funding was also a valuable lecture.

This lady who gave a talk about Dementia raised the somewhat scary topic of the connection between dementia and hearing loss and perhaps it would be an idea to consider hearing aids. Whether there was a connection between dementia and tinnitus, she left open to the audience.

One big avalanche of diverse topics.

The first speaker, Berthold Langguth, a German speaker, gave a run-down on neural pathways and such-like, which was a bit above my head. But I consider that the researchers are the nuts and bolts of the matter. If they can locate "the loose screw" in the works that causes tinnitus and tighten it, then all of us can up sticks and get on with things.

Well, @Hazel, wittingly or unwittingly, adopted the same strategy as that black lady. It was late on a Friday afternoon, people were tired and wanted to get home, I noticed the Spanish dancer, Dr. Langguth, and many others were discreetly leaving the Auditorium and @Hazel was the last speaker on the bill. She got straight to the point, introduced the website, gave her experiences and took questions and that was that.

It was good to attend. I really hope that @Hazel didn't have to pay the (what was it, €400, €500?) for the entry to the main research lectures. I paid out €10.00 for the afternoon lectures and tea.

So yes, I would say that it was worthwhile. It's good that we show our presence somehow. If we were all to stay quiet, stay at home and suffer in silence, the men who write the checks for the research would ignore us completely.

• Winner Winner x 3
      • Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks for sharing your thoughts @Joeseph Stope! And it was such a pleasure meeting you! :)

A bit of context for the rest of you, the event Joeseph attended was the public event separate from and after the main conference. It was indeed a mix of experiences from other patient advocacy groups. The only pure research talk was by Prof. Langguth, summarising key points from the research conference. I recorded his talk and we’ll publish it shortly.

• Like Like x 2
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    8. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      I like this. If a big company like Cochlear get involved in extracochlear implants, then that would really speed things up!

• Agree Agree x 4
    9. Cernuto
      Spaced

Cernuto Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise Induced
      Thank you, Hazel! So glad you stood up to these gaslighters for us. The Jastreboff model is a crock, and CBT for tinnitus is another one that needs to die.

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Helpful Helpful x 1
    10. Nick47

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Viral/noise
      Thanks for you detailed replies @Hazel.

Yes, I am aware of translational science issues, however, with a caveat. Many of the animal studies have been done on rats. More recent work focuses on guinea pigs (GPs) as their hearing systems are very similar to humans. Susan Shore's team used GPs and the animal trial from Peter Naughton's team on HCN2 blockers also used the same animal model. They have or had a partnership with Merck, possibly for HCN2 blockers as a treatment for neuropathic pain originally.

Oh, slightly off topic, and regarding the tDCS trial run by Bas Labree, did they reveal any results? I know it was concluded over a year ago, but nothing has been published. It would have been overseen by Magdalena Sereda, who supervised Bas as a PhD student.

• Like Like x 2
    11. Watasha
      No Mood

Watasha Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      CBT for tinnitus is one of the few proven treatments for tinnitus distress. That said, I don't think we need to allocate anymore research dollars there, consistent with how most on Tinnitus Talk feels.

• Agree Agree x 7
    12. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I did attend that presentation and remember being underwhelmed -- not with the quality of the review per se, but the outcomes. I just don't remember any details, so I emailed Magdalena just now to ask if there's anything she can share.

On a related note, when I spoke to Magdalena at the conference she mentioned the possibility that all these transcranial treatments, magnetic or electrical, could have such varying outcomes across people simply due to the fact that people have differently shaped craniums! In other words, they might in some subjects just not be stimulating the exact brain regions they are targeting. A fascinating thought. She is trying to get funding for another systematic review to test this idea.

• Informative Informative x 3
      • Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    13. KoolKat
      Dreaming

KoolKat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headphone Noise induced ( BEING STUPID)
      Hey @Hazel, good work! You are a pioneer in the making.

With that said, what do you think about biomarkers? Isn't that something to be super excited for? I mean after all we, in the first time in mankind history, might finally be able to see our tinnitus :eek: Or does it even matter :dunno:

And, if Dr. Shore's device works really well, are you guys going to continue to go to these events? Or would you fall back until some other major breakthrough happens?

• Good Question Good Question x 2
    14. DaveFromChicago

DaveFromChicago Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      01/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Headcold/Flu
      When I have a tinnitus spike, CBT in its effectiveness is equivalent to expecting to put out a forest fire with a garden hose.

It's incredible how recent neurological / genetic studies have rendered Jastreboff's theories (which have not changed in 22 years) as obsolete as a B/W TV Set.

Did you know that overwhelming PTSD (which long term tinnitus can surely produce) can actually change the sufferer's genetic configuration such that a propensity for PTSD will be transferred to that person's children (this has been observed in the progeny of Holocaust survivors)?

Finally, Neuroscience has acknowledged that trauma will result in psychic scarring that is as permanent and irremediable as, for example, the lack of flexion in a knee from an accident resulting in crushed cartilage.

Trotting out all this "It's-your-fault-if-you-are not-suffused-with-positivity" rhetoric from Mr. Leigh so woefully ignores the huge research indicating that (like our bodies) what can happen to our minds so unfortunately limits its capacity for transformation.

• Agree Agree x 5
      • Like Like x 1
    15. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Hazel
      Dreaming

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      It's definitely interesting work! Having a reliable biomarker would also encourage the pharma industry to invest in tinnitus; one of the reasons they don't is because it's hard to reliably measure tinnitus at the moment. That said, we're not at the place yet where a single test could with any degree of accuracy assess whether someone has tinnitus or not and how bad it is.
      Good question. Well, first we would celebrate of course. Then we'd need to assess whether there is still need for services like ours. My guess is that even if it would work really well, it probably won't work for everyone. So in that case, we'll continue to follow the research :)

• Like Like x 4
      • Winner Winner x 2