• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Tinnitus Spike After MRI

quietatnight

Author
Jul 7, 2014
Rockford IL
Tinnitus Since
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic trauma / firecracker
I recently had an MRI a couple of days ago. I took precautions by wearing earplugs and gun earmuffs and then having the tech put rubber pads over the gun earmuffs and pillows. Despite this, I still experienced loud noise during the MRI, which involved six 4-minute scans with 3-minute pauses in between. Surprisingly, I had a spike in my condition that night, and it's still persisting. I had a similar MRI a month ago with the same protections and duration, and I was fine. I'm puzzled as to why I had a spike this time. Normally, my spikes go back to baseline after a few days, and I hope that will be the case this time too.

Has anyone else had similar experiences with getting an MRI? If so, did you also experience a spike, and did it go away after a few days? Please share your experiences. Thank you.

I understand that this is an old post, but I had a similar experience and I wanted to share it. Six months ago, I went for an MRI at a different center than where I had my previous three MRIs. I brought my own earplugs and the MRI of my neck lasted about 15 minutes. Immediately after the MRI, I noticed a significant increase in my tinnitus to the point where it became intrusive. I've had tinnitus since 2007 with minor issues, but nothing like this. It's been over three weeks since the MRI, and so far, there has been no change.

I now have trouble sleeping, which was not an issue before the MRI. My tinnitus was perfectly habituated, and I rarely even thought about it. Now it's constantly on my mind. Like the original poster, I feel that the MRI was unnecessary, and I'm struggling to forgive myself for potentially making my life more difficult for no reason. I'm still holding onto hope for a miracle, and I've read about some people returning to their baseline after several months. However, my hope diminishes with each passing day. I've decided that I will never go for another MRI unless it's a matter of life and death.

If anyone has recovered from similar symptoms after an extended period following an MRI, I would really appreciate hearing from you. Any hope at this point would be welcome.

I will never ever go for another MRI unless it is a matter of life and death.
I'm sorry to hear this.

People with tinnitus are taking a huge risk getting an MRI.

Don't expect any empathy or understanding from doctors when you explain that your tinnitus is a matter of life and death, so you must refuse any future MRIs.

I still suffer from the after-effects a year later. I experienced reactive tinnitus, dysacusis, and electrical zaps down the ear. It was the worst year of my life, bar nothing. As you said, I will never get another MRI unless it is a matter of life and death. I complained to the radiology department, and they initially denied that it could've been the MRI - it felt like gaslighting at its worst. I hope you don't end up in the same place as me, and I'm sure you won't. It took me a year to have some 'better' days and return to a normal sleep pattern.

There should be a sticky at the top of this forum to warn about MRI and microsuction, as they come up time and time again.

Thanks for sharing. I also now experience reactive tinnitus. I remember experiencing it years ago when my tinnitus was just a fraction of what it is now. The reactivity did resolve with time so I'm hoping for the same.

I cannot believe how just a few minutes in that tube even with ear plugs can cause so much long term misery.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now