Tinnitus Spike and New Tone from IHOP — Is This Permanent?

pinklights98

Author
Jul 4, 2019
Tinnitus Since
08/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Loud Noise Exposure
Tinnitus is so debilitating.

This morning I went to IHOP with some friends for the first time in six months. I was having a great time and the sound level was quite pleasant—I didn't find the sound level uncomfortable in any way. But, as a precaution less than halfway through I put in some musician's earplugs. I was there for a little less than an hour.

Edit: afterwards I went to a makeup store (Ulta) and didn't wear earplugs. I didn't really think to because it was empty but perhaps I should've.

I now have an awful spike (new tone) in my left ear. The fact that it's a new tone scares me so much, it's extremely high pitched. Could this be new damage? I'm really scared and feeling kind of hopeless.

Tinnitus really is so debilitating. You never know what's going to make it worse. Everything always feels like too much.

I am so so so sorry you are dealing with this! Just because it's a new tone though doesn't make it permanent necessarily. I had my noise trauma with a fire alarm a month ago and for a good period of that time I had several new alarm sounding tones which have decreased and changed back to a more "normal" ring after some time. Going back to work has ruined the progress I made on my hyperacusis pretty much but the worst of the ringing-the new tones- have gone down considerably.

It's impossible to avoid noise it seems. Please try and stay calm and positive as you possibly can, and take care of yourself. I know it's so hard, and you don't deserve this.

I'm having a spike and new tone from a trash compactor incident. As @Striveon asked has your spike and new tone subsided?
Yes this new tone subsided, don't stress about the trash compactor incident it is not enough to cause damage.

I got an acoustic trauma from a car alarm that gave me new tones and whole lot of other stuff back in June 2019 but that is a lot louder and a lot more "alarming"(lol).

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now