Tinnitus Spike from Watching Sports on Big-Screen Television with Soundbar

Discussion in 'Support' started by Meinstei, Sep 9, 2024.

1. Meinstei

Meinstei Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Does anyone else find that their tinnitus spikes when watching certain TV shows? Has anyone found any TV settings that help reduce it?

For me, when I watch sports on my big-screen TV, after about an hour, my tinnitus spikes significantly in volume.

I've tried adjusting the settings on my soundbar, even turning it off, but it doesn’t seem to make a difference. It’s particularly bad when I’m watching hockey or football.

What’s strange is that I can watch other TV shows without any major spikes, but sports always seem to trigger it.

Other things that trigger my tinnitus spikes include running water (like when I turn on a faucet or fill a bathtub), lawnmowers or leaf blowers outside, and other odd background noises. My guess is that it might be the crowd noise or something specific about sports that causes the spike.

Even if I turn off the TV sound, it doesn't help. Once the spike starts, it sticks around for hours, which is frustrating, especially when I’m trying to go to sleep after the game. And we all know how great it is to lay in bed with that constant "EEEEEEEEeeeeeeeeeeeee" sound!

I’ve had tinnitus on and off my whole life. It used to come and go, but for the past few years, it’s become much more constant and persistent. Now, it's always there. It’s a very high-frequency sound—like a constant “Eeeeeee” at the upper end of my hearing range. If you’re around my age, it’s similar to the sound that old electronic devices, like TVs with tubes, used to make—an almost inaudible, high-pitched frequency.

I’ve tried matching it using apps, but it’s tough to get an exact match. The closest I got was around 7000 Hz using the "TinnitusPlay" app on my iPhone.

With football and hockey season just starting, I wish I could watch without triggering my tinnitus.

Has anyone else experienced something similar? Any suggestions that have helped?

Thanks,
      Michael

2. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Hi Michael,

Although your profile states that the cause of your tinnitus is unknown, there is often an underlying reason. From your post, I suspect your tinnitus may be noise-induced, which is one of the most common causes. Since you've asked for help, my advice is to lower the volume of your TV when watching sports. If your TV is connected to an amplifier that powers surround sound speakers and a subwoofer, I recommend not using them. To avoid temptation, it would be a good idea to disconnect all external speakers for now, including the soundbar, to give your auditory system time to heal. Stick to listening through the built-in speakers of your television.

The spikes you’re experiencing when using your surround sound system suggest that your auditory system is under stress. You need to stop this to avoid the risk of worsening your tinnitus.

I also recommend getting a referral to see an ENT doctor so tests can be conducted on your auditory system. Additionally, it would be beneficial to consult an audiologist who specializes in tinnitus and hyperacusis management. Please click the link below to read my thread, "New to Tinnitus, What to Do?" and explore my other posts, including "Will My Tinnitus Get Worse?"

Finally, I advise you not to listen to audio through headphones, earbuds, headsets, AirPods, noise-cancelling devices, or bone-conduction headphones, even at low volumes.

I hope you start feeling better soon.

All the best,
      Michael

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum