Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Lol I did the same thing. Found some gel in the bathroom which is for muscle pain or something like it. Just rubbed in my shoulder and neck with that stuff. Slept 2 days in a row now without the masking stuff. Took a break last week from work because of my shoulder. Worked for 2 days now and today during work I noticed the left shoulder starting to hurt again. If I use it too much it starts to hurt, which also has an influence on my neck muscles.. More like a chain reaction.. Usage of shoulder >shoulder pops alot>shoulder starts to hurt>muscles around it start to hurt>neck muscles start to tighten up>T gets louder. That's how I kind off experience it as of now.. And on the right side I still got this muscle tightness below my ear and the spasms.

Gtg back for the mri results tomorrow morning. Will let you know afterwards.

Hopefully that stuff you bought on ebay will work for you. Still doubting if i should get one of those shoulder correctors. But there are so many variations available. I need to find something which stops my shoulder from popping.

Anyways, doing pretty fine now.. If it would stay like this I wouldn't mind it that much.

Lol I did the same thing. Found some gel in the bathroom which is for muscle pain or something like it. Just rubbed in my shoulder and neck with that stuff. Slept 2 days in a row now without the masking stuff. Took a break last week from work because of my shoulder. Worked for 2 days now and today during work I noticed the left shoulder starting to hurt again. If I use it too much it starts to hurt, which also has an influence on my neck muscles.. More like a chain reaction.. Usage of shoulder >shoulder pops alot>shoulder starts to hurt>muscles around it start to hurt>neck muscles start to tighten up>T gets louder. That's how I kind off experience it as of now.. And on the right side I still got this muscle tightness below my ear and the spasms.

Gtg back for the mri results tomorrow morning. Will let you know afterwards.

Hopefully that stuff you bought on ebay will work for you. Still doubting if i should get one of those shoulder correctors. But there are so many variations available. I need to find something which stops my shoulder from popping.

Anyways, doing pretty fine now.. If it would stay like this I wouldn't mind it that much.

Im happy to hear that you seem to be doing fine!! :)

I feel it the same way, about the chain reaction.. Its like muscles are trying to compensate or something..

How was your ENT visit btw?

Hi,

My ENT visit was a complete disaster. My mom went a long and she also said that my ENT is just the worse doctor shes has ever seen, and she works at the hospital.;p

He was acting so arrogant and when I asked him his opinion about the neck movements and the change of the sound. He remained silent and said, "Im not going to argue with you". While I was just asking a question.
The MRI came out pretty fine, apart from a blood vessel which is close to the hearing nerve, or something like that. But he said that couldnt cause it, because according to him everyone has that. Like I said, that piece of sh*t can walk to hell as he doesnt know anything about tinnitus. Im not going to rely on his expertise, doubt if he even has any apart from grabbing my money. Everyone also has got the same muscles groups, but not every person is the same , so why does the radiologist point out the blood vessel and then he says it cannot be the cause....He gave me 2 options, either he send me through to a neurologist or i could do TRT. But I told him thats definitly the last option, as the neck issues still arise. So im going to see a neurologist by the end of august. Not going to spend anymore time wasting words on that cocky piece of junk. Its not that im dissapointed about the MRI itself, maybe im reliefed about the result, but he way he treated me was just horrible. Going to submit a complaint at the hospital.

Oh ye and I got the MRI results on a hardcopy. Just had a look at it, but its chinese for me.

Hi,

My ENT visit was a complete disaster. My mom went a long and she also said that my ENT is just the worse doctor shes has ever seen, and she works at the hospital.;p

He was acting so arrogant and when I asked him his opinion about the neck movements and the change of the sound. He remained silent and said, "Im not going to argue with you". While I was just asking a question.
The MRI came out pretty fine, apart from a blood vessel which is close to the hearing nerve, or something like that. But he said that couldnt cause it, because according to him everyone has that. Like I said, that piece of sh*t can walk to hell as he doesnt know anything about tinnitus. Im not going to rely on his expertise, doubt if he even has any apart from grabbing my money. Everyone also has got the same muscles groups, but not every person is the same , so why does the radiologist point out the blood vessel and then he says it cannot be the cause....He gave me 2 options, either he send me through to a neurologist or i could do TRT. But I told him thats definitly the last option, as the neck issues still arise. So im going to see a neurologist by the end of august. Not going to spend anymore time wasting words on that cocky piece of junk. Its not that im dissapointed about the MRI itself, maybe im reliefed about the result, but he way he treated me was just horrible. Going to submit a complaint at the hospital.

Oh ye and I got the MRI results on a hardcopy. Just had a look at it, but its chinese for me.

Same old story.. The ENTs Ive seen has been a complete disaster as well.. I dont see the reason for any doctor being arrogant.. Its fine that they dont know much about something or that they are unable to treat it, but really, the arrogance Ive seen among a few doctors that doesnt know anything about your condition is just.. Yeah.. I just dont get it, but people are different.. I tend to back away if I meet those kind of people.

I hope the neurologist is able to point something out.

And its a good thing that your MRI came out pretty much fine though.. :) I probably have the same blood vessel close to my left ear as well, but I think its only responsible to the occasional pulsatile T Im experiencing.. No big deal actually :)

Im more worried about my SCM, as it seems to be very under developed in my left side. At the right side I can grab the clavicular head of it, and its pretty massive compared to the left side. I think I will have to carefully gain some more volume and strength to it.. Also some length I would guess..

@Mr. Cartman

I get what you mean. My T pulsuates as well. Especially when laying down in bed. The blood vessel was near the right ear. Which is the ear in which I sometimes hear ''crickets''. The crickets sound appears when I think its the SCM muscle starts to contract and spasm below the right ear. I always thought that sound is due to the spasms. And might even be related to the blood vessel which is near the nerve. Anyways just bought me some new gel to cool down my muscles and improve the blood circulation. Because I was using some sort of rheumatism gel before which I just found in the bathroom. I can feel the cooling part already doing its job lol. Oh ye and I also tried on one of those belts. I must say it felt pretty good. However I didnt buy it yet.

@Sjtof, @Mr. Cartman,@ @Jay M

I understand your frustration with your ENT and even more so with your T. Most ENT's just don't have any answers to tinnitus problems. I had a quiet day yesterday, even when driving a noisy tractor. My T, which is usually noise reactive, wasn't yesterday for some reason. I did fall asleep the previous night in a recliner, so maybe that has something to do with it. Anyway, today I woke up with loud hissing again and not sure how to shut it off.

I will try the meds Gabapentin+ Clonazepam, as that combo sometimes makes my T go away. It could be working on the auditory cortex area of the brain producing the noise, and/or some of the neck nerves possibly. I just want the noise to go away like everyone else. It can be quite baffling! I will try sleeping in a recliner again to see if that makes a difference, otherwise back to the drawing board.:( Btw, I am glad your MRI turned out OK @Sjtof, one less worry, although I'm sure you want to find out the cause of your T and was disappointed in that regard.

@Sjtof

I bought that cooling gel as well.. Think im going to test it out some more :)

@just1morething

Do you sleep in a special position while sleeping in the recliner?

I noticed something weird today, when I woke up, my head was in a little ackward position, and what I noticed is that when I lifted my shoulder slightly, my hearing improved dramatically and my T went away dramatically, but only when I found a sweet spot. If I elevated my shoulder more, it would go back to what it was, same happened if I moved my shoulder down..

Also, when I was massaging the clavicular head of my SCM pretty far down (it could have been the scalene muscle as well), at the collar bone area, the fullness sensation went away for a while, and my T changed to a solid tone for a couple of minutes.

That being said, the entire left part of my neck/shoulder area is very stiff and less flexible than my right. The muscles there seems to be a lot less developed as well..
And it also happens that the left side is where it all started.

I just cant see how this is not related to the muscles around the neck/shoulder/head area..

Please let me know how the Gabapentin and Clonazepam works out.. :)

@Mr. Cartman
Do you sleep in a special position while sleeping in the recliner?

No, not really. I just fell asleep waiting for one of are cats to come in. I don't normally sleep in a recliner.

Also, do you have a very tender spot between your shoulder blades at the area of C5/C6?
Tender meaning painful? I don't think so.

Please let me know how the Gabapentin and Clonazepam works out.. :)

I will let you know.:) I've been experimenting with many meds.

@just1morething

I was just thinking that maybe your neck was bent in a special position compared to sleeping in your bed etc..
Or at least something was different regarding the recliner position compared to the position you have while sleeping in your bed.

Yeah, a painful spot between your shoulder blades if you press on it with your finger.
In my case I believe its located at the C5 area.. Just curious if you have or have had that as well and if it somehow could be related.. :)

@Mr. Cartman

Yeah, that is a possibility on my neck bent in a certain position. Btw, have you had any consistent results lessening your T by doing some of your various muscle stretches or massages? Sorry, I forget the names of all the muscles...there's so many.

@Mr. Cartman

Yeah, that is a possibility on my neck bent in a certain position. Btw, have you had any consistent results lessening your T by doing some of your various muscle stretches or massages? Sorry, I forget the name of all the muscles...there's so many.

Yeah, it is definitely helping.. Today, I can only hear my T if Im really listening for it.. But In my case, it seems like a lot of the muscles on the left side is affected. They are tight and not in a very good shape.

Also, it seems like my brain's control center somehow has managed to memorize that my muscles should tense up all the time. Everytime I stop and feel if my muscles are tensed up, its just insane.. I then conciously relax them, but as soon as I dont pay attention they are tensing up all together..

Its probably a little like a child that is learning to walk.. It will try and try and fail, until it suddenly is capable of walking its first steps.. The brain then memorizes it all, and eventually we are able to walk without paying attention to what muscles we are using.. It just happens naturally because the brain is now programmed how to do all those complex muscle movements without even thinking about it..

I feel that the same thing has happened to me, during very stressful moments, the muscles has somehow got programmed to tense up because thats what I have done in the past. And my guess is that it came to a boiling point where the muscles had been tensed up for too long and suddenly started to fail to some degree. Im not sure how it exactly works, but I think if that happens, then other muscles will start compansating for those and make it even worse in the long run and affecting even more. Kind of a domino effect..

I have no idea though, but I feel that breaking this pattern is one step in the right direction.

Also retraining some of the muscles, adding volume and strength, together with lenghtening a few of them with stretches seems to help. But this has been going on for years, so I believe that theres no quick fix.

I believe that solid working muscles could help the spine and neck as well.

What I have found out so far is that theres something just not right regarding my SCM, mostly the clavicular head of it.
Also my sclalene muscles seems to be ridiculous tensed.

If I bent my head forward, chin facing my breast bone and moved my head to the left and right, I felt that when I moved my head to the left there was something preventing me from doing that movement. After doing it a few times, it has loosened up and Im now able to move my head entirely to the left as well.

When I stretch the clavicular head of my SCM (head tilted to the right and lifting my chin), I can feel all sorts of weird movements in my temple bone area.. I believe this is because of nerves being irritated, as from what I have read, some of the fibres of the SCM can also be a part of the vagus nerve, and the spinal accessory nerve could also be trapped in that muscle. Not sure if that is the case with me, but theres definitely something wrong in that area..

It also seems like the SCM and masseter is very much related to eachother.

My pectoralis muscles have next to no flexibility, but my right ones have.

I do believe that all this could play a very important role for the entire picture so to speak..

But what I try to focus on, is that it has improved.. Maybe it would without those stretches as well, but I think that it cant be a bad thing to add some flexibility to the muscles again, because all this tension I have experienced is just frightening in my openion :)

I also read that even breathing with your chest will activate the SCM, pectoralis and a host of other muscles connected to your first ribs and in the end cause strain to them. Ive been doing that a lot too.

Btw I forgot to say. It wasnt really just a blood vessel.

It was called a neurovascular conflict in the labyrint of the right ear.
It's the ear which gives me sound distortions from time to time... While typing I'm listening to a white noise sound and the right ear is changing the static sound into a completely different sound.

Hmm....

Btw I forgot to say. It wasnt really just a blood vessel.

It was called a neurovascular conflict in the labyrint of the right ear.
It's the ear which gives me sound distortions from time to time... While typing I'm listening to a white noise sound and the right ear is changing the static sound into a completely different sound.

Hmm....

I believe its related to a conflict between a blood vessel and a nerve, if for example a blood vessel is looping a nerve or make any compression to the nerve otherwise..

But did they think it was related to your current symptoms?

Microvascular decompression (MVD) seems to be successful at treating this kind of conflicts, as they separate the blood vessel from the nerve..

It would be interesting if your neurologist could provide some information regarding what nerve it was and its purpose.

It might not be related as well though..

What a great post (as usual)!! :)

Im kind of baffled though.. Because what you write matches 100% with what I have.. Also the lump on my clavicular head of the SCM.. I actually have two of them, one small and one pretty big.. You can _almost_ see it..
If I stand in front of a mirror and flexes my SCM, I can see that the clavicular head on the left side that got those lumps are slightly under developed as well, compared to my right one that is somehow bigger and more developed. And its the left ear thats been worst..
If I press the biggest lump my T changes pretty quick.. It also happens somewhat if I press the smaller one.
And it all started on the left side.

It could be that something is pushing the clavicular head in a wrong position indeed, and thats what makes it look smaller in my case.. I dont know.. I also have that spot you are talking about far back on my platysma.. That being said, I feel that I have spots everywhere.. Even around my temple bone.. I just dont know what to make of all this.. Its like all my muscles are failing at some degree.. Some being worse than others.. I do believe that theres something central playing a big part in all this, and that it kind of got a domino effect on the muscles.

Yeah wow it amazes me too how similar our conditions seem to be. I have this difference between my clavicular heads too, the worst side has a noticably smaller and shorter one too. On the other side the muscle is disturbingly tense though, so don't know what to make of that. (I was needled in the upper SCM a few hours ago though so that might explain some of the difference.)
And yeah i'm convinced that something is triggering all those muscles to tense up too.
It simply seems impossible to me that i do or have done something wrong to each of all those muscles (the jaw, several in the neck, shoulders, and around the ear). But i have no clue what would do that, except a dislocated muscle that plays an import role like the SCM.

Also the chronic dry cough and sore throat you are talking about, I also had that for probably a year before all this started.. Together with a chronic stuffy nose, especially when I went to bed.. So I had to use nasal spray quite ofen.. But I also found that chronic dry cough to be pretty annoying as well.. And my family suspected it was allergy, even though all tests came back negative. Both blood tests and skin tests..

When I developed this cough, I was in a very good shape as well.. I was working out 5 - 6 days a week (had been doing this for about 10+ years), and symptoms started to appear.. I also had some slight nausea during that time.. So it could very well be related as we both have had it.. I also heard a guy here complaining about tinnitus for no apparent reason, and he had suffered from a chronic stuffy nose for very long before the onset..

I think that if the SCM is tight and tense, it will make a pull on the Auricularis posterior, and that in turn will make a direct pull on the auricularis superior, and probably the anterior as well, and probably more muscles will follow that pattern.. But I cant see how my SCM can cause this much damage alone.. I did a lot of xrays of my back and neck, and they are all fine.. No worn or torn disks as they could see..

Its also very interesting that you got the pulsatile T doing those stretches, as I got them as well.. And the slap feeling is inndeed a muscle inside the middle ear that starts to do something. Also I made myself a belt and strapped it around my shoulders and behind my back preventing me from pulling my shoulders forward.. Ive been using it all day, and earlier today I experienced something funny.. My E-tube on the right side opened permanently.. It was open all the time.. If I held for my nose and blew, there was no resistance, air was flowing freely and my hearing was somewhat dulled at that ear, but it closed up again after a while..

For me it seems like all the muscles in my face are tensed.. And it suddenly became very bad after I made a sudden neck movement (turning my head to the left very sudden). That set off the fullness in my ears too, but I had pain around my auricularis superior long before that.. It literally feels like the muscles in my middle ear are tensed as well.. Like very bad..
And I suspect that its the muscles inside the middle ear that is producing the T and all other weird symptoms regarding the ear. I just dont see how muscles are able to tense up so badly and not releasing the tension.. Its like there are nerves firing motoric impulses and telling them to tense up.. Also the nerves are sending random pain signals..

I have read that the arm and leg tingling is very common in whiplash, and a friend of mind got a minor whiplash and told the same story, but it all went away in a day or two.. He did have a whiplash some years before from a front to front car accident, and he told me that his neck hurt really bad for like a year or so..

But for us, it seems like something has been building up, and a sudden movement/strain made it all reach a boiling point..

Im just not sure if the SCM is able to cause all this.. But I did strain my SCM with that sudden neck movement, and the fullness came along a few hours or a day later..

But what should we do? Im considering a MRI of my neck, maybe contrast.

Also, what boggles me, when the chiro adjusted my neck, first time I got a very warm feeling in my left clavicular head of the SCM (bad side). Second time I got a cool feeling, and throbbing headaches.. When I think about it, it was actually the entire clavicular head that had some kind of a reaction.. Maybe there are some vital nerves located around that area? Like a part of the trigeminal nerve or facial nerve.. I havent looked it up, but I think at least that the trigeminal nerve has a small branch slightly down the neck..

I will put some anti-inflammatoric gel on my SCM. But something is absolutely not right in that area..

I also remember that I got this T in my left ear in the past.. Only very temporarily, and I only got it when I was walking or working outside during winter and cold weather.. And it always went away when I came inside.. So I didnt pay much attention to it..

But yeah.. Our stories are pretty much identical.. I believe its been going on for a very long time.. I also experience somewhat of minor muscle spasms in my neck from time to time.. Its like my body is trying to snap a muscle or a nerve into place.. Kinda hard to describe.. Maybe the muscle is lacking blood supply.. But theres something going on there..

It tingles in my nose now and then as well.. And it almost makes me sneeze.. This cant be good ^^

I have to admit that I didnt care much about pain and such in the past, but after I had this sudden neck movement its been crazy..

That cough/stuffy nose and such is remarkable, it seems unlogical to me, but i have often heard it can be caused my muscle dysfunction/tension in the neck, so it is probably related, i notice that since not long after my T started, and i'm suspecting when i started to take care of my neck and started those physio treatments, the cough, globus feeling, and the stuffy nose( with help from nose sprays) have been 99% gone since then. the cough and globus feeling disappeared completely. So either i had an undiagnosed ETD for over a year, or it's related to muscle tension.

It is weird what happened to your eustachian tube staying open though, i wouldn't know how muscle tension could cause that. Especially coming from the SCM.

I haven't had a scan of my neck or such yet, i have an MRI scheduled next week of my ear, and i hope they will include the whole facial are and neck too if possible. But i have no clue on how this tension can build up over and over again after it's being released, except for something that's dislocated. Bad posture alone can hardly be enough. Or so it seems.

I hope the MRI next week will provide me some answers, because if everythin seems to be in place like in your case, im as clueless as you, maybe they missed something.

The T you got when being outside when it's cold is interesting though. It looks like that would be vascular or such, your veins constricting when being exposed to a lot of cold, that might cause that T, but i wouldn't see how that would be in play now. Although my T's intensity does coincide a lot with blood flow factors, like i'm suspecting that why my T is very loud when lying down for a while, it might have something to do with blood flow in certain areas. But i can't imagine that causing a continuous T, i mean there would be a lot of irregular moments the T would be gone i imagine, when suddenly standing up for example (loss of blood flow to head).7

I'm thinking the whiplash in my case might have weakened certain spots in my neck, aggravating the pre-existing condition causing this T etc... to a point where i began to notice, or the condition came up afterwards, because my neck is certainly a weak spot since that whiplash. I should definitely get my neck scanned actually, i feel like that might give some clues.

@chronicburn

The spot you are talking about located next to the SCM under the ear, if I press it, it feels like the blood supply is shutting off or something.. And I can feel a lot of what I would call discomfort.. It also triggers some weird tooth ache in my upper jaw if I press it for a little while.. And my T changes from a more constant noise to something that could remind of an electrical buzz.. The moment I release, I get some kind of a vacum feeling there for a few secs.. Either caused by blood flow or nerves fire I would guess..

Hmm..

Yeah that i have too, it feels like i'm pushing on a vein indirectly, limiting blood flow indeed, and when i release i have that vacuum feeling too, but it seems to originate in my ear. I looked up swiftly and the trigeminal nerve does pass not far from there, a bit more to the center of the face, it would explain those jaw feelings, but the sensations in the ear, i'm not sure about that.

I'm starting to get convinced blood flow is also in the play here. Did you ever get your blood flow in the fascial and neck area checked out? A doctor suggested this to me, although the T resulting from flow problems should be somewhat of a whooshing, which i often have, influenced by movements and when standing up suddenly etcc. But certainly not all the time.

Yeah wow it amazes me too how similar our conditions seem to be. I have this difference between my clavicular heads too, the worst side has a noticably smaller and shorter one too. On the other side the muscle is disturbingly tense though, so don't know what to make of that. (I was needled in the upper SCM a few hours ago though so that might explain some of the difference.)
And yeah i'm convinced that something is triggering all those muscles to tense up too.
It simply seems impossible to me that i do or have done something wrong to each of all those muscles (the jaw, several in the neck, shoulders, and around the ear). But i have no clue what would do that, except a dislocated muscle that plays an import role like the SCM.

That cough/stuffy nose and such is remarkable, it seems unlogical to me, but i have often heard it can be caused my muscle dysfunction/tension in the neck, so it is probably related, i notice that since not long after my T started, and i'm suspecting when i started to take care of my neck and started those physio treatments, the cough, globus feeling, and the stuffy nose( with help from nose sprays) have been 99% gone since then. the cough and globus feeling disappeared completely. So either i had an undiagnosed ETD for over a year, or it's related to muscle tension.

It is weird what happened to your eustachian tube staying open though, i wouldn't know how muscle tension could cause that. Especially coming from the SCM.

I haven't had a scan of my neck or such yet, i have an MRI scheduled next week of my ear, and i hope they will include the whole facial are and neck too if possible. But i have no clue on how this tension can build up over and over again after it's being released, except for something that's dislocated. Bad posture alone can hardly be enough. Or so it seems.

I hope the MRI next week will provide me some answers, because if everythin seems to be in place like in your case, im as clueless as you, maybe they missed something.

The T you got when being outside when it's cold is interesting though. It looks like that would be vascular or such, your veins constricting when being exposed to a lot of cold, that might cause that T, but i wouldn't see how that would be in play now. Although my T's intensity does coincide a lot with blood flow factors, like i'm suspecting that why my T is very loud when lying down for a while, it might have something to do with blood flow in certain areas. But i can't imagine that causing a continuous T, i mean there would be a lot of irregular moments the T would be gone i imagine, when suddenly standing up for example (loss of blood flow to head).7

I'm thinking the whiplash in my case might have weakened certain spots in my neck, aggravating the pre-existing condition causing this T etc... to a point where i began to notice, or the condition came up afterwards, because my neck is certainly a weak spot since that whiplash. I should definitely get my neck scanned actually, i feel like that might give some clues.

Yeah that i have too, it feels like i'm pushing on a vein indirectly, limiting blood flow indeed, and when i release i have that vacuum feeling too, but it seems to originate in my ear. I looked up swiftly and the trigeminal nerve does pass not far from there, a bit more to the center of the face, it would explain those jaw feelings, but the sensations in the ear, i'm not sure about that.

I'm starting to get convinced blood flow is also in the play here. Did you ever get your blood flow in the fascial and neck area checked out? A doctor suggested this to me, although the T resulting from flow problems should be somewhat of a whooshing, which i often have, influenced by movements and when standing up suddenly etcc. But certainly not all the time.

It might very well be due to blood flow as well.. And as you say, its hard to believe that bad posture alone can cause all those muscles to tense up..

Regarding the eustachian tube, I have read that there are four muscles associated with the function of the eustachian tube:

Levator veli palatini (innervated by the vagus nerve)
Salpingopharyngeus (innervated by the vagus nerve)
Tensor tympani (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V)
Tensor veli palatini (innervated by the mandibular nerve of CN V)

It could be that one or more nerves are somehow sending motoric impulses to the muscles, making them tighten up.
I actually dont believe that the brain is doing it, but rather faulty signals from the nerve(s) itself.

If I remember correct, both the facial nerve and the trigeminal nerve can send mixed signals, both motoric and sensory, and that could expain both the pain and the motoric impulses. But then again, I would guess that the nerves are dependend on sufficient blood flow to work properly.

I think it could be possible to track down all the motoric and sensory impulses to figure out what nerves are being affected, as they are responsible for specific motoric and sensory signals sent to the brain. Then it would be interesting to figure out where they receive their blood supply, and make a map of it all. It could be that a slightly blocked artery or a vein could cause some kind of failure to one or more nerves.

You do have a point though, about measuring the blood flow around the neck/face area.
I actually think I will have that done, just in case.

Also, contrast MRI of my neck and suboccipital area. At least that could provide some answers.

I also read that electrical stimulation of the facial nerve right below the ear did trigger a lot of motoric impulses around the face.

Have you ever looked up what happens to a nerve it has insufficient blood supply? I havent yet, just curious if you have any idea :)

When I stretched my scalene muscles, I had my head tilted down, chin touching the breast bone and turned my head to the right. That went smooth, but when I turned my head to the left it felt like something was dislocated in the lower part of my neck. I dont know what it was, but after doing this stretch a few times, it felt like something went into place.. But when I do it now, I still get some weird sensations going on.. Not sure what it is, but theres something going on in that area.. Kind of behind the clavicular head of my SCM.

Also, the spot you are talking about just below the ear.. It feels like something is just not right there as well..

I think both of us should have a MRI of our necks, because something does not feel right in that area..

Ye i told the radiolgists to take a mri of the neck as well. But it wasn't possible at the time. When I told my ENT that i found it stupid that they didn't Scan the neck while I told him about my neck issues.... Well you can probably guess the answer....

Hopefully the neurologist wants to listen to my story for once without interrupting and finally doing some research.

Anyways you guys are doing so much research, why not write it down and make a document of it. So you can discuss the findings with a specialist. Because maybe you found something nobody was ever aware off... You'll never know;)

Ye i told the radiolgists to take a mri of the neck as well. But it wasn't possible at the time. When I told my ENT that i found it stupid that they didn't Scan the neck while I told him about my neck issues.... Well you can probably guess the answer....

Hopefully the neurologist wants to listen to my story for once without interrupting and finally doing some research.

Anyways you guys are doing so much research, why not write it down and make a document of it. So you can discuss the findings with a specialist. Because maybe you found something nobody was ever aware off... You'll never know;)

Yeah, maybe you can have another MRI done of your neck.. I think it could have been a good idea though.. Just in case :)

I hope that your neurologist will be able to point something out :)

Hope you are doing alright :)

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Street Spirit
@applewine

I was reading a book named Tinnitus: Theory and Management

While reading chapter 8; The Neurophysiological Model of Tinnitus I came across a few interesting cases of tinnitus which maybe a few of you might find interesting.

( Source: http://books.google.no/books?id=BqEq9Re3L5UC )

Case 7:

A 29-year-old woman with normal audiometry had slightly distressing right ear tinnitus for 7 months, which had resolved approximately 2 months prior to her visit to our tinnitus clinic On physical examination, she had increased muscle tension and tenderness in her right SCM muscle compared with the left. At the time of somatic testing, she was hearing a slight constant ringing of both ears (1 of 10), which was much fainter than her prior right ear tinnitus. With somatic testing, each time that her right SCM muscle was forcefully contracted, she reported hearing right ear tinnitus identical to her prior distressing tinnitus (Table 9-7). The right ear tinnitus did not persist after somatic testing. In some of our clinical cases, a well-described event occurred that precipitated the tinnitus. Many of these people had normal audiograms as well. We refer such cases as examples of somatic tinnitus syndrome.

Case 8:

A 52-year-old woman underwent a right interscalene block to have manipulation of her frozen shoulder performed. With the injection, anesthesia of the shoulder did not occur; rather, she developed anesthesia of her right ear, right postauricular region and slightly right side of the face, with a dull ache in the same distribution. There was no facial weakness or dizziness. The numbness resolved within 14 hours. But immediately on injection of the local anesthetic (15 mL of 1.5% mepivacaine), she developed right ear tinnitus..

Case 11:

A 6-year-old girl fell off her bicycle, fracturing the left mandibular ramus and dislocating the left TMJ. Within 4 months, the fracture and dislocation healed without surgery, but she had some persistent discomfort in the left preauricular and infra-auricular regions. She never complained of tinnitus or hearing loss after the accident, but 2 years later, she failed a routine school hearing test and did poorly on some subsequent audiograms because of the left ear. Otoacoustic emissions were normal. Temporal bone computed tomographic scans and contrast MRIs were normal. Once it was realized that she had left ear tinnitus, she was taught the difference between her tinnitus and the audiometer tones. Subsequent audiograms have been normal. Her left ear tinnitus was described as a buzzing like a dial tone. She had noticed that her tinnitus became quieter with tilting her head to the left and louder when tilting to the right. When examined 3 years after the accident, she had full range of motion of her neck, but her left SCM muscle was rope-like in consistancy and tender.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What I find interesting, is that they found muscle modulation to the jaw/neck area would induce tinnitus in both individuals with tinnitus and without tinnitus for the most part.

Thats also what I have experienced before. When yawning I would hear a hiss (that now seems to be stuck).
When I did situps, I would hear this hiss when my SCM was working at its hardest to keep my head from falling backwards.

The SCM and muscles of mastication seems to be very much related.
They also point out trapezius in this book.

They believe that the tinnitus induced by neck/jaw/head movements could be related to one or both of the following:

Golgi tendon organ that senses muscle tension
Muscle spindle that senses muscle length

---------------------------------------------------------

In the past, I read about eye floaters which I did experience for a while, and I came across some information linking some eye floaters to a network of collagen and hyaluronic acid. ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Floater ).

----

Golgi tendon organ anatomy ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golgi_tendon_organ )

The body of the organ is made up of strands of collagen that are connected at one end to the muscle fibers and at the other merge into the tendon proper.

----

For me it seems like collagen could play an important role for both eye floaters and the golgi tendon organ as well.

---

If the golgi tendon organs are sending false signals to the brain, maybe it could be possible that the brain would send motoric signals back to those muscles telling them to tighten up.

Like when I have stretched my SCM or masseter in the past, I would get a hiss which seems to be pretty normal. Now, when I have that hiss all the time, I would guess that somehow, the same mechanism is sending the same signals all the time. Like my SCM or masseter is constantly stretched when its not, and then the brain is trying to kind of correct it by tightening up that muscle.

It seems like muscles around the neck and jaw are very much capable of producing T and pain on its own.

---

Some other interesting stuff that might not be related regarding Fibromyalgia ( http://rheumatology.oxfordjournals.org/content/43/1/27.full ):

Results. The FM patients had lower hydroxyproline and lower total concentration of the major amino acids of collagen than the controls. No significant difference was seen in the concentration of the major amino acids of myosin or of total protein. Electron microscopy showed no significant differences between FM patients and controls although atrophied muscle fibrils occurred in FM patients only, but frequencies were not significantly different.

Conclusion. Fibromyalgia patients had a significantly lower amount of intramuscular collagen. This may lower the threshold for muscle micro-injury and thereby result in non-specific signs of muscle pathology.

---

You forgot to include me @Mr. Cartman;) Btw, I got my nasty noise to calm down yesterday by taking Mysoline + Klonopin. I know it's probably working more on the brain than the muscles.

Mr. Cartman said:

I was reading a book named Tinnitus: Theory and Management.
I thought you wrote that book Mr. Cartman!:p Just kidding of course!:)

You forgot to include me @Mr. Cartman;) Btw, I got my nasty noise to calm down yesterday by taking Mysoline + Klonopin. I know it's probably working more on the brain than the muscles.

Hehe, sorry. I just dont know how much people enjoy to be alerted in all my posts :p

Thats great news btw.. Maybe it actually is doing something..

Do you remember any special event that set your T off? Like a rapid neck movement etc?
Or did it just came out of the blue? Also did you experience some weird symptoms before the onset of T that you can remember?

I'm not sure on that, but I do have some neck issues. I am scheduled for a cervical MRI in August. My last one was Jan. 2012.

I'm not sure on that, but I do have some neck issues. I am scheduled for a cervical MRI in August. My last one was Jan. 2012.

Yeah, seems like neck issues are a common factor amoung us..

Im going to have a cervical MRI as well, but Im also going to ask for contrast, as it seems like contrast is able to improve the visibility of internal body structures of MRI. I have to discuss this with my doctor.

@Mr. Cartman
@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Street Spirit

Neck MRI is unlikely to be scle to show any injury or dysfunction that we have. What we have is likely microscopic causing dysfunction.

My neurologist gave me a prescription for a neck MRI though and I'll get it.

It won't be contrast and I won't take that stuff until I know more. There are horror stories if some people with bad kidneys or something suffering extreme body damage from MRI contrast dye because they don 't clear it from their system. It is like a drug.

I've actually read all the case reports just posted above, so I found them at some point and recognize them.

I'm going to try NUCCA upper cervical and see a TMJ doctor called dr. Stack in Virginia, but I'm not convinced I need dental treatment even if they think so. I may benefit from a more optimal byte, but who is to say what that is with so much disagreement and also that is more more permanant than doing NUCCA, even wearing a repositioning device, which I did for almost 3 months from another tmj doctor. My jaw hasn't gone backwRd all the way after stopping it.

I've been on the tmj forum on the healthboards forum.

I have lots of tmj and neck involvement, but I can open my jaw wide and it never hurts or tires from chewing, though the back of my neck can hurt from chewing. My temple muscles hurt and so can my masseter muscles. If I press where it hurts I get a hissing sound that lasts for a whole after removing pressure.

I had orthodontics using invisalign. After that around that time the shaky vision, neck pain started. For a while my bite felt weird too.

I am almost certain the hissing sound in my left ear is caused by a muscle spasm, but how to correct it is another matter. It is too loud to be caused by noise exposure. I recently had trigger point therapy to my neck & facial muscles and the noise went away for a day. I believe it is caused by the description below:

In certain cases, tinnitus may be a result of spasm of a tiny muscle (called the stapedius) in the middle ear. This spasm may cause a slight vibration which is heard within the ear as a ringing, buzzing or hissing sound. In addition, dysfunction of other muscles, such as the tensor veli palati, may prevent the Eustachian tube an air passage connecting the middle ear to the throat) from functioning normally, causing fullness and pressure behind the ear drum.

Forward head posture as mentioned by @Sound Wave could be contributing factor also to the muscle spasms.

If I can't find a suitable TMJ doctor here, I will fly out to see Dr. Ira M. Klemons in South Amboy, NJ.
I had enough of this B.S. !!!

http://www.headaches.com/tinnitus.htm
@Mr. Cartman
@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Street Spirit

Neck MRI is unlikely to be scle to show any injury or dysfunction that we have. What we have is likely microscopic causing dysfunction.

My neurologist gave me a prescription for a neck MRI though and I'll get it.

It won't be contrast and I won't take that stuff until I know more. There are horror stories if some people with bad kidneys or something suffering extreme body damage from MRI contrast dye because they don 't clear it from their system. It is like a drug.

I've actually read all the case reports just posted above, so I found them at some point and recognize them.

I'm going to try NUCCA upper cervical and see a TMJ doctor called dr. Stack in Virginia, but I'm not convinced I need dental treatment even if they think so. I may benefit from a more optimal byte, but who is to say what that is with so much disagreement and also that is more more permanant than doing NUCCA, even wearing a repositioning device, which I did for almost 3 months from another tmj doctor. My jaw hasn't gone backwRd all the way after stopping it.

I've been on the tmj forum on the healthboards forum.

I have lots of tmj and neck involvement, but I can open my jaw wide and it never hurts or tires from chewing, though the back of my neck can hurt from chewing. My temple muscles hurt and so can my masseter muscles. If I press where it hurts I get a hissing sound that lasts for a whole after removing pressure.

I had orthodontics using invisalign. After that around that time the shaky vision, neck pain started. For a while my bite felt weird too.

Some good points you have there..

Im going to think twice about the contrast! :)

Dr. Klemons in NJ and Dr. Stack in Virginia are like brothers. I've met Dr. Stack in person and talked to Dr. Klemons on the phone. I think they are both very close to retiring near 80 years old. The only thing is Dr. Stack will recommend surgery from another old doctor near retirement called Dr. Gregory (I think). This is a minor surgery to keep the disc in place, but dr . Klemons thinks that is the only thing Dr. Stack does too much of. In general surgery is to be avoided, even minor surgery. The treatments these doctors give are also pennant in phase 2 and possibly pennant at some point in phase 1 trial according to warming out there, even if the TMJ doctors say it is not. I don't know, but from personal experience I tried the device and my bite has not gone back weeks after taking it out after wearing it 24/7 for almost 3 months including eating.

I'm in Virginia and I don't know what visits to New Jersey would bring me, but I could maybe see. A tmj doctor in California said that Stack was the best on the east coast. This is the CA doctor:

These doctors have a lot of far out theories about tmj dysfunction causing a lot of neurological diseases, which makes trusting them harder.

Hi all this seems the best thread at the moment to post this question on but does anyone out there suffer from the slight shakes /trembling, in the hands in particular,? as I do and for some reason more so in my right hand and can wake up in the morning with the sensation and although not always visible I can feel it but most of the time see the shaking

I can only put this down I think to my anxious brain not at all happy with this alien noise in my head, I have this feeling on and off but mostly on since the onset of the T in late November and weirdly I find it can get worse in the evening. I think I will go to my GP soon and see what he says but does anyone else get this and if you do have you been able to conquer it at all by the way I am on 20mg of Amitryptyline at night and I have been on this only for about 2 months so I cant put it down entirely to a reaction of that but I will in the next few weeks wean myself of them just to see if it helps

Let me know Guys and Girls

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now