Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Now that I think about it, Somatic T might be a result of BL Syndrome.

I would think so too.. Its funny though, that I can eliminate my T by doing heavy physical work involving my neck.

Going to work out my neck a bit in the coming time to see if it could have some influence..

That stretching makes my neck/T go crazy lol.

I did the "pour water out of ear" stretch. All of a sudden I had is high pitched beep in my ears for a few secs. The chicken sound stretch even made some tv sounds sound like that noise for a few minutes. Kinda weird though. And now I'm feeling some stinging pains in 2 of my fingers. Think I'll just leave the stretching for a while and discuss it with my chiro before I mess up things. It's just weird how the sound is changing throughout the whole day. When I was laying in bad it almost seemed to b gone. The other moment when watching TV, i can hear it through the tv. It seems that the less sound I hear, the lower the T is. But this also changes from time to time.

Got a tensed feeling in my muscles for the whole day. Keep feeling this tingling in my ears. It hurts especially where the SCM is attached to the skull just below my ear.

Just found this article about the SCM.

http://www.natural-solutions-for-muscle-pain.com/sternocleidomastoid-muscle.html

As a matter while quickly reading over the text I read that it can cause an itchy feeling deep in the ear canal. Also the stinging pains in the ear. And the Overstretching can be caused by weight lifting... Which is when I first experienced my T.... Also the triggerpoint spot which is marked red on the picture behind the ear is where I experience a triggerpoint as well.

Anyways imo we should make a thread in which we combine all the information we already got and if we find something new we can add it to the first post. So we got a clear overview.

@Mr. Cartman That is very interesting what you posted about barre-lieou syndrome. I can relate to all symptoms except 2, thanks for sharing! It would indeed make sense for somatic T, and the stinging pains!
Now if i read it correctly neck stretching should help with that syndrome, and using sympathicomimetics would also offer some temporary relief? I have some pseudo ephedrine still from my ETD problem, in that case i could most likely test if that gives any relief now, as it acts as a vasoconstrictor, and if it does it's another pointer.
Aside from that my T has been quite low all day now, it had it's ups and downs, but generally a huge improvement in contrast to the last days, in the right ear the T has also been gone every now and then for some moments :) , some weird pressure is still present in my ears, my neck is also hurting a lot less today, if this keeps up that stretching, sleeping position and the myofascial treatment is really doing something :).

@Sjtof Interesting article as well, i've been having those "sinus headaches" for years, that itchy feeling seems related too. I've had temp spikes as well when stretching, but they always subside, the line between stretching and over stretching is thin though indeed.
I've noticed that when i grap and stretch the most upper part of my SCM, it itches in my ear canal somewhere and it is directly related too how hard i'm massaging the SCM.
It is weird how the T fluctuates so much indeed and changes pitch, but it's positive, one day it might be so impulsive that it decides to disappear. :) (the T that is)
There's quite a lot of good information in this thread already, might indeed be a good thing to create an overview :).

@chronicburn

Alrity I will start creating an overview later on tonight perhaps.

@Jay M

That is exactly what happend to me. Doing bench presses at home.. Anyone want to buy that fitness equipment? :D

Anyways last nite, T was kinda low, slept without masking, as for some reason masking sometimes increases the sound and lowers down when I turn it off... I was laying in bed, doing nothing. I decided to gently press my left SCM while laying still. I noticed from top to the bottom, that muscle increases the sound when I press on it. Besides that while I gently pressed it, few seconds after I got a spike while just laying still... Says enough if you ask me.

I posted a link above from a Success Story on TT. The person claimed to have a pure tone T for about 4 months and suspected neck issues. It ultimately ended with that person doing some neck exercises and resuming regular light fitness activities and began hearing a reduction within a week and more soon thereafter. Not sure if he had hearing loss or if it was somatic T but it seems related to this thread.

On another note...

I can change or increase the sound of my somatic T by: pressing behind the ears, turn my head, extend my jaw, bend over and as soon as I lay my head down. One strange thing is if I walk or run, my Somatic T will go up and down in volume with each step. Does this happen with any one else?

Also my Somatic T has a slight pulsation to it. Not the whooshing sound I read about OR all the time but for durations of activity. ...Any body else?

If this is all neck, nerve and muscle related then one would think with proper time, posture changes and exercises this type of T will resolve in some degree.

@Mr. Cartman That is very interesting what you posted about barre-lieou syndrome. I can relate to all symptoms except 2, thanks for sharing! It would indeed make sense for somatic T, and the stinging pains!
Now if i read it correctly neck stretching should help with that syndrome, and using sympathicomimetics would also offer some temporary relief? I have some pseudo ephedrine still from my ETD problem, in that case i could most likely test if that gives any relief now, as it acts as a vasoconstrictor, and if it does it's another pointer.
Aside from that my T has been quite low all day now, it had it's ups and downs, but generally a huge improvement in contrast to the last days, in the right ear the T has also been gone every now and then for some moments :) , some weird pressure is still present in my ears, my neck is also hurting a lot less today, if this keeps up that stretching, sleeping position and the myofascial treatment is really doing something :).

@Sjtof Interesting article as well, i've been having those "sinus headaches" for years, that itchy feeling seems related too. I've had temp spikes as well when stretching, but they always subside, the line between stretching and over stretching is thin though indeed.
I've noticed that when i grap and stretch the most upper part of my SCM, it itches in my ear canal somewhere and it is directly related too how hard i'm massaging the SCM.
It is weird how the T fluctuates so much indeed and changes pitch, but it's positive, one day it might be so impulsive that it decides to disappear. :) (the T that is)
There's quite a lot of good information in this thread already, might indeed be a good thing to create an overview :).

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of those symptoms myself.. :) I think stretching is a very good thing.. I started one more exercise, which seems to really impact something. I lay in my bed with my back down, and the back of my head on a pillow, then I slowly pull my head up and then down again. I do this as many times as Im able to do it, until my neck fails to lift up my head. Then I take a break and repeat it a few times.

When I think back, I have always had my head bent forward, and my suboccipital muscles have almost taken the entire load of keeping my head in position. With this exercise I retrain the muscles at the front of my neck/throat which is probably under-developed.

@Jay M
@Sjtof

I posted a link above from a Success Story on TT. The person claimed to have a pure tone T for about 4 months and suspected neck issues. It ultimately ended with that person doing some neck exercises and resuming regular light fitness activities and began hearing a reduction within a week and more soon thereafter. Not sure if he had hearing loss or if it was somatic T but it seems related to this thread.

On another note...

I can change or increase the sound of my somatic T by: pressing behind the ears, turn my head, extend my jaw, bend over and as soon as I lay my head down. One strange thing is if I walk or run, my Somatic T will go up and down in volume with each step. Does this happen with any one else?

Also my Somatic T has a slight pulsation to it. Not the whooshing sound I read about OR all the time but for durations of activity. ...Any body else?

If this is all neck, nerve and muscle related then one would think with proper time, posture changes and exercises this type of T will resolve in some degree.

Yes, I can relate to that so much. Sometimes (ive written it before too) my T seems to pulsate to my heartbeats, but that happens only occasionally. And when I walk I have noticed that my T is reacting, to every single step I take :)

I also added a new exercises that seems to do something, I alerted you in the post to chronicburn regarding it :)

@chronicburn
@Jay M
@Sjtof

Also, I had an appointment with my doc today, and my doc will most likely refer me to a hospital where they are able to measure how my nerves are firing around my neck area. I believe they measure it by inserting needles into the nerves, and then they are able to read the signals that are being sent.

But I will only take part in this if it doesnt resolve, and I want to wait a year or two before taking part in this procedure.
If I do, I will also have the opportunity to have botox injected into the problematic area to block out some of the signals.

At least, it seems that we have multiple options, but I still believe its very possible to take care of this with some major posture adjustments, and the correct neck exercises.

My T has been low, right now its not bothering me at all.. And its the first day I havent had terrible headaches during a long car drive.

Yeah, I can relate to a lot of those symptoms myself.. :) I think stretching is a very good thing.. I started one more exercise, which seems to really impact something. I lay in my bed with my back down, and the back of my head on a pillow, then I slowly pull my head up and then down again. I do this as many times as Im able to do it, until my neck fails to lift up my head. Then I take a break and repeat it a few times.

When I think back, I have always had my head bent forward, and my suboccipital muscles have almost taken the entire load of keeping my head in position. With this exercise I retrain the muscles at the front of my neck/throat which is probably under-developed.

That is indeed some good thinking, thanks a lot for sharing all your thoughts. :) The forward head posture thing is something i also have always had, and until now is the most difficult part of my posture to correct, i have a slight feeling that my neck has formed itself in that way, by doing that too much when i was still growing up... I don't know if that's possible, but it feels that way. I'm gonna do that exercise too, next to neck stretching, sub occipital stretching, posture correction, and shoulder and jaw "relaxation" (a bit like the exercise you described with the 2 pillows beneath your shoulders).
I hope that should be enough to tackle the T after a while. In combination with those myofascial treatments, which i will surely continue. :)

Aside from that today is the third day in a row that my T is generally quite low :), it has it's spikes and fluctuations like always, mainly after my physio treatment yesterday, which is a good thing actually i suppose. But the average level has subsided quite a bit, it is at the level of the slight hiss i always had when yawning and moving my neck and stretching etc... I even can't hear it most of the time when walking :). Once i sit down it's a bit louder though. I have the feeling that i can "blame" those myofascial dry needling treatments for this, the timeline sort of fits for now in combination with the stretches, i have several treatments planned in the near future, if this success continues, i would surely recommend it. :) My only doubt is, that in the case of Barré-Lieou syndrome the relief would only be temporary, but only time can tell.
Also, a lot of the trigger points in my right neck and jaw area (5 points in total which we're very painful), seem to be improving, they aren't fixed (yet), but most certainly improving.
Another weird thing i noticed, but this is only happening last 2 weeks and not every time but quite often, if i plug my ears with one finger in each ear and push with a considerable pressure, the T goes down in volume considerably for the duration of the pressure. This doesn't happen when plugging my ears any other way. I wonder if this is due to the same mechanism @MT09 described in his Succes story, when he puts his head in a bucket full of water.
Also i noticed i often have a silent pulsatile T, i notice this when being stressed or just having done a lot of physical activity, i'm convinced it relates to by heart beating faster than usual at those moments, as it is always twice as fast as my heartbeat. Don't know if it's related to all this, 90% of the time it's too silent to hear without plugging my ears, so it could've been existent for all my life for all i know. When that happens my usual somatic T tends to pick up a bit of the very rapid pulsation too though, a bit like @Jay M described i think.

Also interesting that Electromyogram (i suppose?), that your doc wants to refer you to. Didn't know that it was possible to inject botox into nerves in the neck etc..., i can imagine this is not without risks though. So it might indeed be a last resort sort of.
I too do believe, with the proper stretching and posture and lifestyle, this might resolve on it's own, the T and the stinging pains etc... are just way too reactive to stretching and other movements for that. :)

@Mr. Cartman
@chronicburn
@Sjtof
I hope you don't consider this off topic but all things considered since we seem to have similar T symptoms especially when it comes to Somatic T (ST). I want to believe ST and other random non traditional T sounds might be symptoms of what we do and put into our bodies. I came across another thread talking about toothpaste for sensitive teeth containing an ingredient called Potassium Nitrate (PN). Some claimed it's side effects include causing or aggravating someones T. Really!? I was hoping mine (Crest Pro-Health) contained PN but it did not, instead it contains another kind of ingredient for oral hypersensitivity called Stannous Flouride (SF). It's not recommended to use for more than 4 weeks unless otherwise instructed too. Other than that I could not find anything in regards to SF and T. But my first instinct is if anything can desensitize teeth then it's possible it can cause other (nerve desensitizing) problems too. I know it's a ridiculous question but I'm curious to know what kind of toothpaste everyone is using?

@Mr. Cartman
@chronicburn
@Sjtof
I hope you don't consider this off topic but all things considered since we seem to have similar T symptoms especially when it comes to Somatic T (ST). I want to believe ST and other random non traditional T sounds might be symptoms of what we do and put into our bodies. I came across another thread talking about toothpaste for sensitive teeth containing an ingredient called Potassium Nitrate (PN). Some claimed it's side effects include causing or aggravating someones T. Really!? I was hoping mine (Crest Pro-Health) contained PN but it did not, instead it contains another kind of ingredient for oral hypersensitivity called Stannous Flouride (SF). It's not recommended to use for more than 4 weeks unless otherwise instructed too. Other than that I could not find anything in regards to SF and T. But my first instinct is if anything can desensitize teeth then it's possible it can cause other (nerve desensitizing) problems too. I know it's a ridiculous question but I'm curious to know what kind of toothpaste everyone is using?

Thats interesting! Im using Solidox, not sure if its an international brand, but Ill check the ingredients list.

That is indeed some good thinking, thanks a lot for sharing all your thoughts. :) The forward head posture thing is something i also have always had, and until now is the most difficult part of my posture to correct, i have a slight feeling that my neck has formed itself in that way, by doing that too much when i was still growing up... I don't know if that's possible, but it feels that way. I'm gonna do that exercise too, next to neck stretching, sub occipital stretching, posture correction, and shoulder and jaw "relaxation" (a bit like the exercise you described with the 2 pillows beneath your shoulders).
I hope that should be enough to tackle the T after a while. In combination with those myofascial treatments, which i will surely continue. :)

Aside from that today is the third day in a row that my T is generally quite low :), it has it's spikes and fluctuations like always, mainly after my physio treatment yesterday, which is a good thing actually i suppose. But the average level has subsided quite a bit, it is at the level of the slight hiss i always had when yawning and moving my neck and stretching etc... I even can't hear it most of the time when walking :). Once i sit down it's a bit louder though. I have the feeling that i can "blame" those myofascial dry needling treatments for this, the timeline sort of fits for now in combination with the stretches, i have several treatments planned in the near future, if this success continues, i would surely recommend it. :) My only doubt is, that in the case of Barré-Lieou syndrome the relief would only be temporary, but only time can tell.
Also, a lot of the trigger points in my right neck and jaw area (5 points in total which we're very painful), seem to be improving, they aren't fixed (yet), but most certainly improving.
Another weird thing i noticed, but this is only happening last 2 weeks and not every time but quite often, if i plug my ears with one finger in each ear and push with a considerable pressure, the T goes down in volume considerably for the duration of the pressure. This doesn't happen when plugging my ears any other way. I wonder if this is due to the same mechanism @MT09 described in his Succes story, when he puts his head in a bucket full of water.
Also i noticed i often have a silent pulsatile T, i notice this when being stressed or just having done a lot of physical activity, i'm convinced it relates to by heart beating faster than usual at those moments, as it is always twice as fast as my heartbeat. Don't know if it's related to all this, 90% of the time it's too silent to hear without plugging my ears, so it could've been existent for all my life for all i know. When that happens my usual somatic T tends to pick up a bit of the very rapid pulsation too though, a bit like @Jay M described i think.

Also interesting that Electromyogram (i suppose?), that your doc wants to refer you to. Didn't know that it was possible to inject botox into nerves in the neck etc..., i can imagine this is not without risks though. So it might indeed be a last resort sort of.
I too do believe, with the proper stretching and posture and lifestyle, this might resolve on it's own, the T and the stinging pains etc... are just way too reactive to stretching and other movements for that. :)

Sounds like your T could be calming down! Mine is also very low at the moment, and like yours, it flares up when Im stressed out or driving my car. And I never know what to expect when waking up.
I think that whatever is causing your T, the same mechanism is causing mine.

@Sound Wave
@just1morething
@Street Spirit
@Sen
@Sjtof

I experienced some really weird stuff today. I remember Street Spirit was experiencing some kind of TN symptoms, and so did matt if I remember correctly. And when thinking about it, I believe both the trigeminal nerve and the auditory nerves are entering the brain in about the same place, and they have a lot of muscles that are related to the jaw around them.

Then I started to stretch my jaw muscles very hard, because they were very tensed. I opened up my mouth pretty wide and kept that position for a while, then I moved my lower jaw to the left and held that position, and then to the right likewise. I also pulled my lower jaw kind of outwards and inwards. I did that for about 30 minutes. That seemed to release a lot of tension. My head felt light afterwards.

And then I realized that when I held my mouth wide open, and massaging my tempel bone, it was insane painful, but only when my mouth was wide open. I kept playing around and after a while I found a spot right above the ear lobe, I would say about 1 cm above my earlobe, (if you kinda slide your figer from your earlobe and slightly upwards, theres one muscle that kinda pops out. At least it pops a bit out in my case. And when I hit this spot with my finger with my mouth wide open, it was so painful that I almost fainted. It also triggered some kind of a puke reflex.

Maybe this is another weak spot.

And another thing I was kinda thinking, is why we yawn. Maybe it is a mechanism to stretch the muscles around the throat and jaw to prevent them from becoming too tense so they are unable to irritate any nerves?

I have no idea though, just thought I would share it :)

Im going to start massaging those muscles as well. Maybe it can at least help a littlebit :)

Hi,

I got different toothpaste every once in a while. I just can't imagine it can increase T, but you never know.

Anyways my T seems to be going up and down. When I wake up it feels very low, but as soon as I start doing something it increases. When I'm in bed I notice it is pulsating from time to time. Still got pain in my neck and especially behind my jaw/below my ears and this burning /tingling feeling in my ears and jaw.

Went to chiro today. He did some adjustments, i noticed he wasn't able to crack the left side of my neck without to much force. He didn't want to push it too far so he left it. Did some triggerpoints massages. But I got out there in like 10 minutes. Anyways, I asked him about the SCM and what we found. He said it could all be possible, but the thing is, he has this way of working that he want a to rule out other options first. He wants to wait for the results of my MRI are before he gives me a diagnosis. So I got to go back friday, for another treatment, dunno why though because my MRI is on Sunday lol. But I'll just do like he said. As it is a centrum with multiple chiros I don't think he's after my money :p. Besides that i asked him if he had experience the symptoms before and he said he got quite some patients with the same symptoms. Dunno if he managed to help them, but at least he's familiar with it.

Gtg to my dentist Thursday to measure the first part of my bite I'm getting. Just to see whether this can improve things. Next week the other part will be created.

T is kinda loud now, might be due to the treatment, but for some reason it doesn't bother me that much when I'm in complete silence. It's just that damn feeling I experience and neck pain which keep reminding me of my T. Ok it might bother me a bit, but it doesn't freak me out that much as before, or maybe not at all.

Oh and ye I started stretching again, but I always think I'm doing it wrong or I'm expecting too much of it. Chiro showed me few exercises for the scm, but I noticed that bending my head forwards reduces the T a bit, but only temporary. Also rubbing on a spot just above my ear has a great influence on the sound whenever pushing or rubbing it.

Thinking of buying Schuessler salts 1 and 3. Just to see if it can improve things a little.

Anyways good nite. Will keep you updated and perhaps whenever I'm bored I might make that thread I spoke about earlier

That toothpaste and potassium nitrate scare is not true at all. Just ignore stuff like this.
Leaving no stone unturned. The mouth is the first part of the digestive tract and teeth and gums have plenty of nerves. Theres countless posts and threads that talk about dental work and T. Toothpaste is chemicals. My point is if someone changed something recently in the past 6 months or so such as a type of toothpaste it could easily be over looked as harmful.

Tinnitus upon wakening could be:

quoteL.gif
Hi, what you experience is common. The theory i have been told is that your brain, even as you
sleep is monitoring your hearing. It cannot make sense of the sounds (vibrations) because the hair cells are no longer functioning properly. This results in the high pitched ringing that you hear upon awakening. You are a bit fortunate because yours calms down - for some it does not. I keep a day-timer and record the level of T and what may or may not affect it. I spend less than a minute on this as you do not want to dwell on it. At the end of the week, review it - it gives you something positive to do..
quoteR.gif

I wake up with loud hissing everyday. I would like to think it is muscular caused also, but it may be inner ear hair cell damage.:( I know nobody wants to hear that (literally), but it could be a fact.

Tinnitus upon wakening could be:

quoteL.gif
Hi, what you experience is common. The theory i have been told is that your brain, even as you sleep is monitoring your hearing. It cannot make sense of the sounds (vibrations) because the hair cells are no longer functioning properly. This results in the high pitched ringing that you hear upon awakening. You are a bit fortunate because yours calms down - for some it does not. I keep a day-timer and record the level of T and what may or may not affect it. I spend less than a minute on this as you do not want to dwell on it. At the end of the week, review it - it gives you something positive to do..
quoteR.gif

I wake up with loud hissing everyday. I would like to think it is muscular caused also, but it may be inner ear hair cell damage.:( I know nobody wants to hear that (literally), but it could be a fact.

Sleep on your back. I wake up every morning with a low rustle/hiss. Even when i got a loud ringing when going to bed. One time I slept sideways at my gf place. I woke up with severe neckpain and a sharp pitched sound. Sleeping position has definitely influence in my case. Maybe the same counts for you.

Just give it a try. As long as you don't experienced loud exposure to noise when it all started, there is always hope that it may be somatic.

Oh ye and don't take a pillow which is too thick, plus perhaps support your shoulders with putting a pillow under each shoulder.

Also, I have looked into Barré-Lieou syndrome and had no luck with prolotherapy injections and they were all cash, as insurance doesn't cover them. Sorry to sound so negative, just telling the truth. Once in awhile my T disappears altogether, so that is strange too.

Sleep on your back. I wake up every morning with a low rustle/hiss. Even when i got a loud ringing when going to bed. One time I slept sideways at my gf place. I woke up with severe neckpain and a sharp pitched sound. Sleeping position has definitely influence in my case. Maybe the same counts for you.

Just give it a try. As long as you don't experienced loud exposure to noise when it all started, there is always hope that it may be somatic.

Oh ye and don't take a pillow which is too thick, plus perhaps support your shoulders with putting a pillow under each shoulder.
Reading you guys blog, since I have the same problem, plus other problems dizziness..

I will try sleeping on my back, although I have more sleep apneas that way. Sometimes my hissing is more pronounced in one ear when I sleep on my side, so you could be on to something there. I ordered a quite expensive neck traction device, so I am not totally giving up on the neck muscle caused T yet.

I have had a lot of noise exposure, especially with a loud shrill sound of a used grain vacuvator, so my condition could be somewhat different than the rest of yours.

I will try sleeping on my back, although I have more sleep apneas that way. Sometimes my hissing is more pronounced in one ear when I sleep on my side, so you could be on to something there. I ordered a quite expensive neck traction device, so I am not totally giving up on the neck muscle caused T yet.

I have had a lot of noise exposure, especially with a loud shrill sound of a used grain vacuvator, so my condition could be somewhat different than the rest of you.
Hang in there! hoping it all works for you..let me know..also have the same problems.

I want to share something with you guys.

@just1morething
@chronicburn
@Sound Wave
@Jay M

In my latest post I was telling about a very bad pain I had while massaging a spot just above my earlobe.

I did continue to play around with this muscle, and instead of massaging it, I kinda started to pull it down and inwards to my skull, and added a slight stretch to it. When I did this, I was experiencing massive pain. It wasnt just located at the spot where I was pushing. I suddenly for dizzy and I had the sensation of wanting to vomit, and a very warm feeling started to appear on my chest. It was so terrible hurtful that I almost fainted.

I kept doing this pull, starting gently, and pulling harder and harder so it wouldnt hurt that bad. I used my thumbs and I held the muscles on each side in a kind of a stretched position for a few minutes. This muscle is called the Auricularis anterior muscle, in my case it kinda pops out a bit so its easy to locate. After doing this several times. My T went crazy for a while. And guess what, after about 30 minutes, my T started to act as my previously temporarily T's right before they faded away. It got lout and kind of synchronized. Then I got this feeling of a slap on my ear, and the T travelled upwards in frequency until it faded out. And eactly at that moment every single symptom I was experiencing regarding fullness in the ear, headaches, it all went away in a split second.

I now experienced silence without a lot of weird stuff going on, and I had a hard time to believe what was happening. I went upstairs and sat down for a while trying to figure out what just happened. And Im very familiar with my T, so it was not that I didnt notice it. It was gone, and so was everything else regarding weird pain. This has never happened before, and I dont believe this was a coincidence.

Also, when I pulled this muscle, my symptoms kinda started to reverse just before the T faded.

What I have noticed is that some pain seems pop out of the blue when Im kind of monitoring my T.
And then I realized that when I was listening for my T, this muscle was moving. I kinda tilted my ear slightly.
If im correct, this muscle and one more makes us able to wiggle our ears, or at least some are able to do this. And in the past, a few times my ear has literally moved by spasms, and I think its because of those muscles.

Another thing I have in mind though, is that when I had those temporarily T's in the past, just before it faded I had this weird movement along the exact same spot where this muscle is located.
Kind of above my earlobe and at my temple bone. It could be something to this.

This is just a theory I was thinking about:

If this muscle is not working properly, and is too tense, maybe it could make a pull on your ear, and then affecting the middle ear, like the SCM muscle according to a previous post. For me it seems like this muscle is also somehow in a connection with the muscles around your eye balls, at least from a diagram I was looking at.
It seems like if I hear a loud sound, I automatically contract this muscle. And especially if I try to avoid a sound. If I drive my car I also use this muscle a lot. Especially when Im stressed out.

When I move my neck to the sides, I stretch the Articularis superior. If I open my jaw, it seems like the Auricularis anterior and the Articularis superior is affected. And when thinking back, when I was yawning, I had this T while my mouth was wide open. Now it seems to be somehow stuck almost all the time. Maybe this muscle got so tensed, that it makes a pull on the ear at about the same force as when I yawned before.

Im going to try out some more stuff regarding those muscles and see what happens.
Especially stretch them by pulling my ear backwards and down with my thumb.

------------------------------------
Auricularis anterior
Articularis superior

I want to share something with you guys.

@just1morething
@chronicburn
@Sound Wave
@Jay M

In my latest post I was telling about a very bad pain I had while massaging a spot just above my earlobe.

I did continue to play around with this muscle, and instead of massaging it, I kinda started to pull it down and inwards to my skull, and added a slight stretch to it. When I did this, I was experiencing massive pain. It wasnt just located at the spot where I was pushing. I suddenly for dizzy and I had the sensation of wanting to vomit, and a very warm feeling started to appear on my chest. It was so terrible hurtful that I almost fainted.

I kept doing this pull, starting gently, and pulling harder and harder so it wouldnt hurt that bad. I used my thumbs and I held the muscles on each side in a kind of a stretched position for a few minutes. This muscle is called the Auricularis anterior muscle, in my case it kinda pops out a bit so its easy to locate. After doing this several times. My T went crazy for a while. And guess what, after about 30 minutes, my T started to act as my previously temporarily T's right before they faded away. It got lout and kind of synchronized. Then I got this feeling of a slap on my ear, and the T travelled upwards in frequency until it faded out. And eactly at that moment every single symptom I was experiencing regarding fullness in the ear, headaches, it all went away in a split second.

I now experienced silence without a lot of weird stuff going on, and I had a hard time to believe what was happening. I went upstairs and sat down for a while trying to figure out what just happened. And Im very familiar with my T, so it was not that I didnt notice it. It was gone, and so was everything else regarding weird pain. This has never happened before, and I dont believe this was a coincidence.

Also, when I pulled this muscle, my symptoms kinda started to reverse just before the T faded.

What I have noticed is that some pain seems pop out of the blue when Im kind of monitoring my T.
And then I realized that when I was listening for my T, this muscle was moving. I kinda tilted my ear slightly.
If im correct, this muscle and one more makes us able to wiggle our ears, or at least some are able to do this. And in the past, a few times my ear has literally moved by spasms, and I think its because of those muscles.

Another thing I have in mind though, is that when I had those temporarily T's in the past, just before it faded I had this weird movement along the exact same spot where this muscle is located.
Kind of above my earlobe and at my temple bone. It could be something to this.

This is just a theory I was thinking about:

If this muscle is not working properly, and is too tense, maybe it could make a pull on your ear, and then affecting the middle ear, like the SCM muscle according to a previous post. For me it seems like this muscle is also somehow in a connection with the muscles around your eye balls, at least from a diagram I was looking at.
It seems like if I hear a loud sound, I automatically contract this muscle. And especially if I try to avoid a sound. If I drive my car I also use this muscle a lot. Especially when Im stressed out.

When I move my neck to the sides, I stretch the Articularis superior. If I open my jaw, it seems like the Auricularis anterior and the Articularis superior is affected. And when thinking back, when I was yawning, I had this T while my mouth was wide open. Now it seems to be somehow stuck almost all the time. Maybe this muscle got so tensed, that it makes a pull on the ear at about the same force as when I yawned before.

Im going to try out some more stuff regarding those muscles and see what happens.
Especially stretch them by pulling my ear backwards and down with my thumb.

Auricularis anterior
Articularis superior

Very interesting. I told you before that I got this spot above my ears which kind of hurts when I press it but is also able to influence the sound, even lower it down or change the intensity. The spot feels kind off like a bruise. I think it is called the Auricularis superior.

633892449035758098.jpg

However I'm not really sure if it the muscle or the bone which hurts. But ye I got some more triggerpoints. Also in my shoulder it hurts really bad.
I remember rubbish that Auricularis superior when I had headaches around that spot. When I did that i first thought it lowered the sound, but then it came back in a painfull way.

Anyways everything feels messed up. Even watching TV is painful without proper support of my neck.

The thing you said about listening to the sound. I noticed that now and then when I really start to listen carefully and stay still, my muscles below my ear start to get tensed. The Auricularis post on the picture above. But it may also be the scm so not sure about that.

Very interesting. I told you before that I got this spot above my ears which kind of hurts when I press it but is also able to influence the sound, even lower it down or change the intensity. The spot feels kind off like a bruise. I think it is called the Auricularis superior.

633892449035758098.jpg

However I'm not really sure if it the muscle or the bone which hurts. But ye I got some more triggerpoints. Also in my shoulder it hurts really bad.
I remember rubbish that Auricularis superior when I had headaches around that spot. When I did that i first thought it lowered the sound, but then it came back in a painfull way.

Anyways everything feels messed up. Even watching TV is painful without proper support of my neck.

The thing you said about listening to the sound. I noticed that now and then when I really start to listen carefully and stay still, my muscles below my ear start to get tensed. The Auricularis post on the picture above. But it may also be the scm so not sure about that.

I have the same thing. I do believe that the SCM also is able to cause T, and if the SCM is tensed, maybe that in turn can tense the auricularis superior and the auricularis anterior. The spot you are telling about, I have it too, and another just above my earlobe. Its the most hurtful spot I have ever come around. In fact im not stretching it much, because it hurts so bad that my T kinda becomes a none-issue.

It might also explain why Im able to influence my T moving my neck, clenching my teeth or rolling my eyes, as when I move my eyes, I can feel that the auricularis anterior is being slightly stretched, same happens if I clench my teeth and move my neck.

Im kinda starting to believe that it boils down to three muscles.

auricularis superior
auricularis anterior
sternocleidomastoid muscle

I think we are onto something here. I also believe that we somehow have to find a way to release the tension. It could even be inflamed. I wouldnt be surprised because of the pain when working those muscles. Its insane.

@Sjtof

And yes, you are totally right. It was just above auricularis superior I had those stinging headaches as well!!

I think I have built up so much tension in my body that it has reached a boiling point.

You could try a muscle relaxer such as Robaxin or Flexeril.

Yeah, Im going to ask for a prescription on monday :) Will probably have to use them for a good while. Also stop straining my eyes, ears, neck and grinding teeth.. Seems to be a very bad combination.. I do have diazepam though.. Ill probably start using them today.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now