Tinnitus, TMJ, Headaches, Neck Pain, Facial Pain, etc. — Possible Treatment

Yeah, diazepam is a muscle relaxer also. I have that on hand too and was going to pick up generic Robaxin in a hour or so.

I have the same thing. I do believe that the SCM also is able to cause T, and if the SCM is tensed, maybe that in turn can tense the auricularis superior and the auricularis anterior. The spot you are telling about, I have it too, and another just above my earlobe. Its the most hurtful spot I have ever come around. In fact im not stretching it much, because it hurts so bad that my T kinda becomes a none-issue.

It might also explain why Im able to influence my T moving my neck, clenching my teeth or rolling my eyes, as when I move my eyes, I can feel that the auricularis anterior is being slightly stretched, same happens if I clench my teeth and move my neck.

Im kinda starting to believe that it boils down to three muscles.

auricularis superior
auricularis anterior
sternocleidomastoid muscle

I think we are onto something here. I also believe that we somehow have to find a way to release the tension. It could even be inflamed. I wouldnt be surprised because of the pain when working those muscles. Its insane.

Now that is very interesting what you've posted about the auricular is muscles, i'm also convinced that the SCM is stressing the auricular is muscles, often when i would massage/stretch the SCM, whatever feeling (tingling, pain etc..) is caused in the SCM, 99%of the time radiates to the auricular is superior and posterior region (the posterior muscle is also painful in my case, and noticeably more tense on my right (worst T side). Very funny, and also there is a connection between my jaw, muscles, and the auricular is anterior, whenever i massage those it a sort of tingling and pulling sensation radiates in my anterior muscle, sometimes spasms do happen too.(also during myofascial treatment, which i had again today, always makes me notice that those needles cause stinging and tingling in certain muscles adjacent to the treated one).
And also i want to mention the stinging headaches i had while doing sit-ups etc... also were above the superior muscle.
Muscles_of_the_Neck.jpg

Also the levator and splenius muscle have quite painful trigger points in my case, radiating to the trapezium (upper shoulder muscle). I think it is indeed related to the SCM as main culprit, and it somehow tenses the adjacent muscles, resulting in pain etc..., and in the case of the auricular muscles T... It does seem very plausible in my uneducated opinion, and is also a good explanation why all this massaging of the SCM and jaw radiates funny feelings to those adjacent muscles and the ear . thank you for sharing. :). I will most certainly bring this up the next time i see my physio too, hear what she thinks of it.

Nice that you found another sweet spot that triggers your T and all or disappears it altogether. :) I will increase the duration of the muscle stretching and will stretch the jaw muscle a lot, which has the most hurtful TP in my case, in the upper part, directly next to the auricularis anterior. i've always left this one sort of alone, because it triggers a very unpleasant feeling in my ear, and spasms that muscle sometimes, pulling my ear to my jaw a bit. I'm gonna go a bit further with that muscle now, a mere soft touch of that muscle does heighten my T already. But i get the impression that i should stretch more when it hurts instead of leaving it alone, then i might be able to trigger the T to go away, i'm gonna try it out too.
This is very promising! I keep evaluating our symptoms, and they can all be perfectly explained by a certain muscle movement/tenseness, also i keep realizing there are way too much TP's which have been developing for years with minor aches, and i always just thought it was normal, but because it very gradually got worse, i never stood still and thought it could be abnormal tensity of muscles, until the pains and the temp T's started and i couldn't help but notice of course.

I'm interested in how muscle relaxants will work out for this! Please keep me updated :).
Diazepam lowers my T a bit too, but only until the downer effect wears out, after that my muscles tense up again(i suppose, as they hurt more when touched), T has a short-lived increase, and goes back to normal, so it's not a long term solution (for me at least)

Aside from that i'm glad to mention that my neck and jaw hurts like sh*t because of physio treatment on both sides today, my T in the left ear has gone after spiking for a few hours, my right T is going wacky again, the same as last time, hopefully more improvement in the horizon :). As my T has definitely calmed down a bit the last week in general. I'm not an medically educated man, but just like you and the others here, i'm very convinced we've found (al least a certain part) of the cause of our problems. :)

Now that is very interesting what you've posted about the auricular is muscles, i'm also convinced that the SCM is stressing the auricular is muscles, often when i would massage/stretch the SCM, whatever feeling (tingling, pain etc..) is caused in the SCM, 99%of the time radiates to the auricular is superior and posterior region (the posterior muscle is also painful in my case, and noticeably more tense on my right (worst T side). Very funny, and also there is a connection between my jaw, muscles, and the auricular is anterior, whenever i massage those it a sort of tingling and pulling sensation radiates in my anterior muscle, sometimes spasms do happen too.(also during myofascial treatment, which i had again today, always makes me notice that those needles cause stinging and tingling in certain muscles adjacent to the treated one).
And also i want to mention the stinging headaches i had while doing sit-ups etc... also were above the superior muscle.
Muscles_of_the_Neck.jpg

Also the levator and splenius muscle have quite painful trigger points in my case, radiating to the trapezium (upper shoulder muscle). I think it is indeed related to the SCM as main culprit, and it somehow tenses the adjacent muscles, resulting in pain etc..., and in the case of the auricular muscles T... It does seem very plausible in my uneducated opinion, and is also a good explanation why all this massaging of the SCM and jaw radiates funny feelings to those adjacent muscles and the ear . thank you for sharing. :). I will most certainly bring this up the next time i see my physio too, hear what she thinks of it.

Nice that you found another sweet spot that triggers your T and all or disappears it altogether. :) I will increase the duration of the muscle stretching and will stretch the jaw muscle a lot, which has the most hurtful TP in my case, in the upper part, directly next to the auricularis anterior. i've always left this one sort of alone, because it triggers a very unpleasant feeling in my ear, and spasms that muscle sometimes, pulling my ear to my jaw a bit. I'm gonna go a bit further with that muscle now, a mere soft touch of that muscle does heighten my T already. But i get the impression that i should stretch more when it hurts instead of leaving it alone, then i might be able to trigger the T to go away, i'm gonna try it out too.
This is very promising! I keep evaluating our symptoms, and they can all be perfectly explained by a certain muscle movement/tenseness, also i keep realizing there are way too much TP's which have been developing for years with minor aches, and i always just thought it was normal, but because it very gradually got worse, i never stood still and thought it could be abnormal tensity of muscles, until the pains and the temp T's started and i couldn't help but notice of course.

I'm interested in how muscle relaxants will work out for this! Please keep me updated :).
Diazepam lowers my T a bit too, but only until the downer effect wears out, after that my muscles tense up again(i suppose, as they hurt more when touched), T has a short-lived increase, and goes back to normal, so it's not a long term solution (for me at least)

Aside from that i'm glad to mention that my neck and jaw hurts like sh*t because of physio treatment on both sides today, my T in the left ear has gone after spiking for a few hours, my right T is going wacky again, the same as last time, hopefully more improvement in the horizon :). As my T has definitely calmed down a bit the last week in general. I'm not an medically educated man, but just like you and the others here, i'm very convinced we've found (al least a certain part) of the cause of our problems. :)

Thanks for pointing out levator scapulae and splenius cervicis, as those seems to be related as well. When I pull them, it affects my T as well. And its interesting that your treatments seems to have some kind of effect.

I believe that those muscles together makes a perfect pull on the ear making the mechanics in the middle ear to transfer sound waves perfectly to the inner ear. And if one muscle is too tense, another muscle is trying to make up for the excess pull from that muscle and has to stretch more, and then it becomes a vicious cycle until one of them or several eventually fails and the middle ear no longer has the correct pull from the muscles and the malleus, incus and stapes will not be able to work correctly as they are no longer aligned the way they should. Maybe this is what happens when we have those fleeting (intermittent) T's? Its simply the muscles that are fine tuning the alignment of the malleus, incus and stapes in the middle ear? Maybe the eardrum as well to some extent.

Anyways, that would kind of make sense to me, and it would make sense why we hear sounds when stretching those muscles, like when we yawn. With or without somatic T. It makes a pull on the ear.

I would guess that the same applies to noise (as long as its not anything related to the inner ear), as I have noticed it before that I strain my muscles if ive been around loud noise. Then if your muscles are already off, I would think that more strain could eventually result in some kind of failure,
just the same way as if we were doing situps, driving a car, doing bench press or whatever that is straining those muscles.

Maybe it could explain why anxiety also seems to play a part as well as stress, as it could be that when being anxious or stressed out, you tense your muscles way too much and it might result in the same kind of somatic T.

May also be the reason why Im experiencing those spasms, as the muscles are trying to make the correct pull, but they have been working too hard for a too long time, and the surrounding muscles are too tensed, and they eventually fail at doing their job.

Another thing I have noticed is that everything that I find relaxing will bring the T and everything else down.
I really believe it all comes down to muscles working together.

Im just thinking loud and I could be completely wrong, but maybe something to keep in mind though.

Just a little list of muscles we have found to be related so far:
-----------------------------------------
Levator scapulae
Splenius cervicis
Auricularis anterior
Articularis superior
Sternocleidomastoid
-----------------------------------------

@Sjtof
@just1morething

Good stuff! I have experiences around the auricularis posterior area, i.e. behind the ear. It could also be the end of the SCM. That area has been tender from the beginning of my T and only in the T side of the head. If I press and strecth that area, the pain seems to radiate somewhere inside the ear. I haven't had the courage to really play with that area... yet. :)

My PT has also massaged the auricularis superior area, where she notices differences in tenstion again in the T side of the head. That hurts like hell. After those treatments sometimes the T spikes for a while and a couple of times the tone has maybe changed a bit.

I may need to start massaging the AP area again and the end of SCM...

Sounds quite convincing. Not sure if the mechanism you mention ia completely right, but it has to do with some of those muscles for sure.

I mean I told you that when I stretch the side where my T is highest in a particular way, that i get that chicken sound. Also yesterday I did some stretching on that side. I always get this sensational feeling through my jaw. It is tingling a little or something like that. But my T went crazy.

Btw I notice some weird shit. When I did the chicken sound stretch. I noticed that when I watch the tv afterwards. Some of the tv sounds where transformed into that sound, but when i close the particular ear, the sound was gone. Kinda weird. That is also what i experience when masking the sound.

The more I turn the volume up, the harder the T will come. And as soon as in turn the volume down again, the either is really low or it transformed into some kind of tone which was in the masking sound.

Therefor I'm wondering if my MRI will show something.

Also my T is just not a constant tone. The way it changes throughout the day I just insane.

Anyways came across this success story.

http://m.ehealthforum.com/health/pulsatile-tinnitus-t271043.html

I Gtg back to my chiro tomorrow. Just not sure what to tell him, because i got the idea that as of now he's treating me like a regular patient untill I got my mri results...

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Sound Wave

Another thing though, is that there are three nerves that are entering the skull at the same site, just behind the ear.
Im also thinking that if those muscles are really tensed, having spasms or are inflamed, maybe they then are able to slightly irritate the nerves as well.

The nerves that are entering the skull behind the ear is

Vestibular nerve, which could cause dizziness, nausea etc. (when I pull my Auricularis anterior, for me this triggers dizziness and a nausea attack).
Facial nerve, which I think could cause facial pain.
Auditory nerve.

I havent digged too deep into this, but it seems logical to me that those nerves could also be irritated if the muscles are not able to perform their task the way they should.

And the sensation of somone slapping my ear before my T has faded, I think thats the muscles that is spontaneously starting to work the way they should and they fail when the tension again builds up, or some of the muscles are too weak to keep this pull.

Sounds quite convincing. Not sure if the mechanism you mention ia completely right, but it has to do with some of those muscles for sure.

I mean I told you that when I stretch the side where my T is highest in a particular way, that i get that chicken sound. Also yesterday I did some stretching on that side. I always get this sensational feeling through my jaw. It is tingling a little or something like that. But my T went crazy.

Btw I notice some weird shit. When I did the chicken sound stretch. I noticed that when I watch the tv afterwards. Some of the tv sounds where transformed into that sound, but when i close the particular ear, the sound was gone. Kinda weird. That is also what i experience when masking the sound.

The more I turn the volume up, the harder the T will come. And as soon as in turn the volume down again, the either is really low or it transformed into some kind of tone which was in the masking sound.

Therefor I'm wondering if my MRI will show something.

Also my T is just not a constant tone. The way it changes throughout the day I just insane.

Anyways came across this success story.

http://m.ehealthforum.com/health/pulsatile-tinnitus-t271043.html

I Gtg back to my chiro tomorrow. Just not sure what to tell him, because i got the idea that as of now he's treating me like a regular patient untill I got my mri results...

I know exactly what you mean.. I have experienced the same thing.

I guess I can somehow relate to this chicken sound stretch if I stretch my neck sideways to the right :)

My MRI came out fine.

We should combine our experiences and findings and somehow design a treatment protocol / experiment with a help of a trigger point massage therapist. Then those with somatic T could print out a paper from here and hand it over to their massage therapist to try. Not an easy task. Any takers? :)

We should combine our experiences and findings and somehow design a treatment protocol / experiment with a help of a trigger point massage therapist. Then those with somatic T could print out a paper from here and hand it over to their massage therapist to try. Not an easy task. Any takers? :)

Im thinking the same..

We should make a muscle diagram, including nerves that could be affected as well (as I have been painfully aware of).

When I sat in the bath tub today, and when the water was flowing, I was stretching my SCM, and that stretch did indeed trigger a reactive T which for me seems to be related to the tapping of the bones in the middle ear. I guess its something simular to what Sjtof refers to as the chicken sound stretch, as I can somehow relate to that.

Im now trying to find the best ways to release the tension in the affected muscles, and for all I know, the tension built up there could have caused a minor inflammation as well.

One excellent simple tool to relax muscles and the body is a spike mat. I highly recommend this. Costs about ~5€ at least here in Finland. Remember also the mind - it has great power over muscles and relaxation. Meditation, mindfulness, breathing etc...

neck shoulder 500 pxl.jpg

One excellent simple tool to relax muscles and the body is a spike mat. I highly recommend this. Costs about ~5€ at least here in Finland. Remember also the mind - it has great power over muscles and relaxation. Meditation, mindfulness, breathing etc...

View attachment 2078

Yeah.. That is so true.. Im kinda thinking about buying one now.. I have used the spike mat my sister have in the past, and it feels so relaxing!

I just wanted to chime in and say great posts - a lot of good info being shared as we try to figure this out!

Also, I imagine none of us have tried using an inversion table? Inversion tables are meant for relieving back pain - but because it also serves to stretch out your spine in the process, I am considering buying one to see that has any positive affect on my neck tension - which I believe to be related to my tinnitus. According to the Mayo clinic, people with glaucoma, high blood pressure or heart disease should not try inversion therapy (and, of course, they mention nothing about tinnitus, btw). More information here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...expert-answers/inversion-therapy/faq-20057951

Reviews on amazon.com for inversion tables are also quite positive for people with lower back pain. Even though I don't have back pain I think it might be worth a shot, since I constantly feel the need to stretch out my neck and this sounds like a great way to do it. At any rate, still researching this myself. I'll write back again if I end up trying it out.

I just wanted to chime in and say great posts - a lot of good info being shared as we try to figure this out!

Also, I imagine none of us have tried using an inversion table? Inversion tables are meant for relieving back pain - but because it also serves to stretch out your spine in the process, I am considering buying one to see that has any positive affect on my neck tension - which I believe to be related to my tinnitus. According to the Mayo clinic, people with glaucoma, high blood pressure or heart disease should not try inversion therapy (and, of course, they mention nothing about tinnitus, btw). More information here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-...expert-answers/inversion-therapy/faq-20057951

Reviews on amazon.com for inversion tables are also quite positive for people with lower back pain. Even though I don't have back pain I think it might be worth a shot, since I constantly feel the need to stretch out my neck and this sounds like a great way to do it. At any rate, still researching this myself. I'll write back again if I end up trying it out.
I've been using my inversion table through out this ordeal. I can not tell if it has been beneficial for my T but my lower back is doing fine. It does rush blood to your head. It helps stretch the neck and back muscles but not sure about shoulder and head muscles talked about in this thread.

I just bought me some schussler salts number 1 and 3. Which are according to the manual provided the ones used for tinnitus.

They are homeopathic but who gives a shit. Just gonna try it. Bach remedies worked for me as well when I had to deal with OCD and anxiety attacks.

Just went to the dentist for my splint. It will be done next week.

Got a little less neck pain today..it seems like that is so related to my T. Got this spot in my left shoulder which feels a bit not sore, dunno the word for it. But when i press it it hurts like shit. I got this feeling all the way up to wear my scm is attached to the skull and above my ear..

Oh ye and when laying in my dentists' chair I noticed eye spasms for quite some time. As everything is close to each other it might have an influence as wel, because i can slightly change the pitch when moving my eyes.

Anyways it seems that more and more people are starting to follow this thread :p. Great job guys. I'll keep u updated about those salts. I don't expect to much of it but you'll never know.

Ps: If I won't respond anymore then they were no good for me :D

I just bought me some schussler salts number 1 and 3. Which are according to the manual provided the ones used for tinnitus.

They are homeopathic but who gives a shit. Just gonna try it. Bach remedies worked for me as well when I had to deal with OCD and anxiety attacks.

Just went to the dentist for my splint. It will be done next week.

Got a little less neck pain today..it seems like that is so related to my T. Got this spot in my left shoulder which feels a bit not sore, dunno the word for it. But when i press it it hurts like shit. I got this feeling all the way up to wear my scm is attached to the skull and above my ear..

Oh ye and when laying in my dentists' chair I noticed eye spasms for quite some time. As everything is close to each other it might have an influence as wel, because i can slightly change the pitch when moving my eyes.

Anyways it seems that more and more people are starting to follow this thread :p. Great job guys. I'll keep u updated about those salts. I don't expect to much of it but you'll never know.

Ps: If I won't respond anymore then they were no good for me :D

Hehe, I know what you mean.. Ive got the exact same thing.. It seems like the platsyma muscle also benefits from some stretching in my case. I pull my thumbs kind of under my jaw bone and upwards, there are some really tender spots there.
Also, I started to tilt my head a little to the side, and then literally grabbing the SCM and pulling it around with my thumb and index finger. But the SCM is really a muscle I have to keep working hard.

Nice to hear that your neck pain is a little less! Also kind of interesting with the salts. Im open to anything though.. It might work too.. Who knows..

Ive had the best day I can remember from the onset of all this. I had 1/4 diazepam before sleep, I was stretching like crazy yesterday, and boy did my T scream.. But now its at an all time low.. Hasnt bothered me.. Hope it continues like this.. :)

I think I will continue with the diazepam for a while, because it seems to be very effective against muscle tension during sleep. Especially regarding to grinding teeth.

Yo guys,

Just one question. Does your T like literally change from 1 minute to the other? Because I read stuff about people who got fluctuations, but that's mostly form day till day or so or when doing certain activities.

But in my case, when laying down in bed or whatever. The sound can literally change from 1 minute till the other. The volume and even the sound itself.. Like when i move something or stretch /press something it may change again...

Also I sometimes got these, "poofs" sounds, like something snaps and let's down some air. Not sure how to describe it, but ye. It's just vague stuff. Maybe I should try ginkgo biloba for my blood circulation. As I got a blood pressure device. Normally I had like 60/140ish, but after my T it seems to be 80/140ish. I frequently test it. It's either the device which is stuck or it may seriously be a cause...

Do some of you experience the same thing?

Cheers.

Yo guys,

Just one question. Does your T like literally change from 1 minute to the other? Because I read stuff about people who got fluctuations, but that's mostly form day till day or so or when doing certain activities.

But in my case, when laying down in bed or whatever. The sound can literally change from 1 minute till the other. The volume and even the sound itself.. Like when i move something or stretch /press something it may change again...

Also I sometimes got these, "poofs" sounds, like something snaps and let's down some air. Not sure how to describe it, but ye. It's just vague stuff. Maybe I should try ginkgo biloba for my blood circulation. As I got a blood pressure device. Normally I had like 60/140ish, but after my T it seems to be 80/140ish. I frequently test it. It's either the device which is stuck or it may seriously be a cause...

Cheers.

Yes, mine does that as well.. I also believe that the "poof" sound you are talking about is the one Im refering too as well, but it kinda feels like someone slapping my ear, and the fullness and all that goes away for a while.
This poof sound also travels upwards in frequency..

It could be that something is opening up as well as you say.. Maybe some muscles are pulling something..

Could be that the blood circulation is affecting it as well, maybe the SCM or any of the other muscles we have pointed out is causing some kind of poor bloow flow by adding pressure to something.. When I grab and pull my SCM I can feel that something is happening behind my ear.

But yes, I think we have the exact same thing.

I added some arrows to a muscle diagram of the spots im pulling and deep tissue massaging which I have found to help.

The diagram itself is copyright Encylopedia Britannica. Hopefully they wont mind about using their diagram for this purpose :)

diagram.png

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Sound Wave
@Jay M

Another interesting case I came across. It doesnt relate to T but a few other symptoms we may experience.

-----------------------

Sternocleidomastoid syndrome: a case study

( Source: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1769463/ )

Abstract

This article presents a case study of a patient diagnosed with dysfunction of the sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscle, a condition which can result in head and face pain, nausea, dizziness, coryza, and lacrimation. In this particular case, the SCM muscle had developed tightness and weakness with presence of multiple trigger points within both heads. A combination of passive and active treatments were utilized to successfully treat this condition.

Introduction

The sternocleidomastoid (SCM) muscle has a complex multidirectional pattern of movement. It is composed of clavicular (short head) and sternal (long head) divisions. Both divisions of the muscle attach to the head of the mastoid process and along the superior nucheal line.1 The sternal division attaches below the sternum and the deeper clavicular branch attaches posteriorly and laterally onto the clavicle. Acting unilaterally, the SCM causes ipsilateral-lateral flexion, contralateral rotation, and lifts the chin superiorly. Acting bilaterally, it causes both flexion of the lower cervical spine and extension of the upper cervical spine.2

The SCM may develop myofascial trigger points in both heads.3 Trigger points are typically taut bands of muscle fibers and are "ropy" and sensitive to pressure when compressed. They can create a local twitch response or "jump sign", which is due to involuntary contraction of muscle fibers.3 Trigger points usually occur longitudinally along the length of the muscle and are more common in postural axial muscles. The referred pain is often described as deep and dull. Compressing the trigger point will commonly elicit a consistent referral pain pattern.4 Trigger points can be classified as active or latent, with the former causing constant pain and the latter "silent" until aggravated.

The clavicular division of SCM trigger points can produce pain over the forehead and around the ipsilateral eye, over the cheek, the tip of the chin, sternoclavicular joint and deep in the throat upon swallowing. The clavicular division3 of SCM has also been documented to play an important role in the sense of equilibrium.3 The sternal trigger points can cause pain over the ipsilateral and bilateral forehead, inside and behind the ear.3 The sternal head trigger points may further produce autonomic disturbances, such as excessive lacrimation, conjunctivitis, rhinitis, blurred vision, coryza and ipsilateral eyelid droops – most likely due to spasm of the orbicularis oculi muscle.3–6

History

A 37-year-old, right handed mother of two preschool-aged children presented with complaints of posterior and lateral neck pain, occasional facial numbness, and tingling sensation over her left cheek, forehead, tip of her chin and left ear. These facial sensations were often accompanied by a sensation of dizziness, throat pain upon swallowing, jerking of left eyelid, and excessive lacrimation on the same side. She described these symptoms as intermittent, lasting from minutes to a few hours at a time, with a frequency of three to twelve episodes per week. There was no previous history of such symptoms, nor any other muscular or skeletal conditions. The patient appeared to be within healthy weight parameters, and had experienced no recent, unusual weight gain or loss. She had had no history of accident or blunt force impact that could be linked with the onset of symptoms.

The patient stated that her symptoms began more than three months before, during a time when her youngest child was ill and she spent long periods carrying him with her left arm while performing tasks with her right. She also often slept with her toddler in her arms. She reported that her symptoms had been gradually worsening during the course of the previous two months. The patient initially consulted her family physician in order to rule out possible pathological or systemic causes. A series of blood and urine tests were performed which reportedly all proved to be within normal limits. She was then referred to a neurologist. An MRI of her brain and cervical spine was performed and the results were also unremarkable. She was then referred to a dizziness clinic for evaluation and no specific cause for her dizziness was discovered. The patient sought chiropractic care in our office at that point, since no traditional, allopathic treatments had been offered to her.

Examination

Postural evaluation demonstrated decreased cervical lordosis, anterior head carriage, and bilateral protracted and rounded shoulders. Cervical ranges of motion indicated reduced flexion, with right and left rotation decreased by 20%. While other ranges of motion were within normal ranges, all such tests resulted in some degree of discomfort. Neurological evaluation of both upper and lower extremities was unremarkable. Deep tendon reflexes were 2+ and symmetric. Sensory response to pin prick and gentle touch tests was unremarkable. Muscle strength tests were 5/5 and symmetric throughout.

Evaluation of the cervical spine revealed moderate myofascial pain in the para-vertebral musculature. Deep tissue palpation of the upper trapezius muscle bilaterally indicated presence of multiple trigger points, which referred pain to the sub-occipital area when provoked. Palpation of the left SCM muscle also indicated the presence of myofascial trigger points, which created a significant proportion of the patient's facial pain when provoked. Palpation of left pectoralis- and levator scapular muscles also revealed the presence of trigger points.

Evaluation of the patient's respiration demonstrated a faulty breathing pattern, involving over-utilization of the scalene and SCM muscles.7 Motion palpation end range provocative testing revealed the presence of painful inter-segmental joint dysfunction at right C0–C1, left C2–C3, C5–C6 and T4 levels.8 A cervical Davis series was requested by the patient's physician. The cervical x-rays demonstrated moderate degenerative changes at C5–C6 levels. No hyper-mobility was detected at any level, and the x-rays were otherwise unremarkable.

Head and neck flexion coordination tests revealed chin juts, meaning an altered neck flexion pattern – possibly due to weak neck flexors and overactive sub-occipitals and SCM.9–11 Sit-to-stand test was performed, with the patient showing a faulty movement pattern by leading the move with her chin. This test is crucial in distinguishing an over active SCM verses an SCM with trigger points. This test can assist in determining if the injury is recent verses long established faulty patterns. It can also allow the practitioner to observe the SCM muscle in a dynamic setting rather than simply testing for trigger points.12

Muscle strength- and length tests of the pectoralis, levator scapula, upper trapezious, SCM, and suboccipitals demonstrated muscle hypertonicity. SCM muscle length test resulted in partial facial numbness.

Stepping test was performed to assess the functional integrity of tonic neck muscle reflexes which can have an impact on the function of the entire locomotor system.8 This test is conducted by standing the patient with eyes closed and arms outstretched, horizontal to the floor and parallel to each other. The patient is instructed to step alternately as if marching, alternately raising the knees to 45 degrees. Typically after 50 steps the patient should have rotated no more than 30 degrees. This particular patient, however, was rotated by 130 degrees. One leg standing test was also performed. The patient was able to stand on one foot an average of 20 seconds with eyes open and 5 seconds with her eyes closed. Normal results for someone her age would be a minimum of 30 seconds with eyes open and 21 seconds with eyes closed.13,14

Treatment

The result of the examination showed that the patient had developed multiple cervical and thoracic subluxations, poor proprioceptive sense of balance and altered neck flexion due to tightness in the SCM-, upper trapezius-, levator scapula- and pectoralis muscles, as well as weakness in deep neck flexors, lower and middle trapezius-, and serratus anterior muscles. The goals of treatment were to stretch and relax the tight muscles, strengthen the weak muscles, restore the motion of restricted spinal segments, and re-educate the sensory motor system through proprioceptive exercises. These multiple goals were pursued through a program of successive passive and active treatments.

Passive care (3x / week for 2 weeks)

The patient received passive care three times per week for the first two weeks. The treatment included diversified manipulative therapy of the affected joints; trigger point therapy (ischemic compression) of SCM and upper trapezius muscles; passive stretch of SCM, pectoralis, scalenes, suboccipitals, and upper trapezius muscles; and post isometric relaxation (PIR) of the SCM muscle.15,16

The SCM stretch was an essential part of the each treatment, with the patient placed in a supine position with her shoulders at the edge of the table, her head held at the base of occiput, rotated away from the affected side, laterally flexed toward the affected side, extended at the lower cervical and flexed at the upper cervical (chin tuck with neck extension). This stretch was held from five to forty-five seconds, dependant on patient tolerance. PIR was accomplished by instructing the patient to actively raise her head slightly when it was rotated. This effort was resisted by the practitioner to allow for an isometric muscle contraction. The SCM muscle was then stretched in the same fashion as before.10

Postural advice was provided during the course of passive care to prevent further aggravation of the region. The patient was instructed on exercises to carry out at home three to five times a day. These involved standing with her buttocks and shoulder blades gently against a wall, then slowly retracting her head backward until her skull touched the wall. This position would be maintained for thirty seconds. The goal of this exercise is to make the patient aware of their posture and over time to develop better postural habits.

Phase I Rehabilitation (3x / week for 4 weeks)

The second phase of treatment started in week three with the addition of a rehabilitation component to the passive care described above. This phase was performed at a frequency of three times per week, and lasted for four weeks. The patient was re-evaluated once every two weeks so appropriate modifications to the exercises could be implemented.

Initially the patient was trained on proper self stretch of the upper trapezius-, pectoralis major and minor-, sub-occipitals, levator scapula- and SCM muscles. She was then instructed on a number of exercises designed to facilitate the lower-, middle trapezious and deep neck flexors. The muscle facilitation was accomplished through specific exercises, such as the following:

Wall angels (shoulders abducted, elbows flexed, gradually brought back to sides, while retracting scapula)
Bruegger exercise (sit at the edge of chair, anterior pelvic tilt, chin tuck, hands turned outward, thumbs up pointing upward and behind shoulders, fingers wide apart)
Chin tucks
Dead bug (supine, knees and hips bent, spine in neutral position, maintain abdominal bracing as arms and legs are moved back and forth)
Quadruped (on hands and knees, spine in neutral position, abdominal bracing, head neutral position, arms and legs raised)
Upper back cat (on hands and knees, chin tuck, move buttocks toward ceiling).7,10

Proprioceptive exercises play an important role in retraining primary stabilizers of the spine and reprogramming subcortical connections to improve balance.14 Both rocker and wobble boards were used for proprioceptive training with eyes open for the first week and eyes closed for the second and third week.14 Isometric neck exercises were conducted during the first week using a medium size ball against the wall to strengthen weak neck flexors, extensors, rotators and in lateral bending. During week three the ball was replaced with surgical tubing which would allow full neck ranges of motion with resistance.11

Phase II Rehabilitation (3x / week for 8 weeks)

In this stage the passive treatments such as manipulation and trigger point therapy were performed only when indicated. Previous exercise programs were continued with increased intensity and free weights were introduced to continue to strengthen the lower and middle traps. This was accomplished using the Zinovieff technique for one arm rows, seated rows, shoulder shrugs, shoulder press and upright row and latismus dorsi pull downs. The Zinovieff technique is a good beginner protocol, made of three sets of ten repetitions with one minute interval rests in between, three times per week.11 The first set is at 10 repetitions maximum (RM), second set 75% of 10 RM and the third set at 50% of 10 RM.

The patient was also trained on proper breathing techniques. Diaphragm breathing inhibits the involvement of overactive accessory breathing muscles and keeps their activity to a minimum during rest.8 Accessory breathing muscles are designed to assist breathing only during exertion to further expand the ribs but should remain primarily silent at rest.8

Once the second phase of rehabilitation was completed, the patient reported experiencing relief from over 80% of her original symptoms. It was clear that the patient's physical and emotional challenges as a mother of two young children could be expected to continue to test her physical limits. Therefore, the importance of a continued self directed exercise program, coupled with occasional supportive care at our office (so as to prevent deterioration of her physical condition to a critical level once again) was discussed. The patient was open to the idea, and appeared determined to follow through with her exercises and an occasional visit to our office to monitor her progress.

Discussion

This patient was diagnosed with sternocleidomastoid syndrome. Her condition was accompanied by the presence of other hypertonic and weak muscles in the upper quadrant. She also showed cervical and thoracic facet dysfunction, faulty breathing patterns, poor proprioception and biomechanically flawed posture. Her symptoms extended beyond just an SCM trigger point, and included established faulty movement patterns in the cervical and thoracic regions. As a result, the decision was made to include an active component in her treatment in addition to passive care. The active treatment was designed to restore normal biomechanical movement pattern of the upper quadrant in order to reduce postural strain. The patient's over all treatment included a total of 44 passive and active treatments. This number does not reflect a "cookie cutter" formula for all patients with SCM syndrome, but rather, corresponds to the specific needs and preferences of this patient.

Once the patient was taught all the necessary exercises, she was given the option to continue with some of the exercises at home in order to reduce the number of office visits. However, she chose to follow through with the rehabilitation component at our centre in order to remain motivated.

Short term results of chiropractic rehabilitation in this particular case were very favorable, although long-term outcome is not known at this time. Further research is required to evaluate long term outcome for patients who have received treatment with an active and passive approach to treatment, verses passive only treatment, to gain further insight to management of SCM syndrome.

Conclusion

The fact that such an array of symptoms as facial pain, lacrimation, dizziness, blurred vision and eyelid jerking could be generated from an activated trigger point was not a diagnostic possibility entertained by any of the practitioners who previously examined the patient. This case demonstrates the pivotal role chiropractors can play in multi-disciplinary settings, working along with other heath practitioners and sometimes, perhaps, offering not only a different but also constructive point of view. The chiropractic approach, combined with appropriate rehabilitation tools and techniques, can prove a highly valuable asset in early diagnosis and correct treatment of such conditions.

@chronicburn
@Sjtof
@Sound Wave

Another thing though, is that there are three nerves that are entering the skull at the same site, just behind the ear.
Im also thinking that if those muscles are really tensed, having spasms or are inflamed, maybe they then are able to slightly irritate the nerves as well.

The nerves that are entering the skull behind the ear is

Vestibular nerve, which could cause dizziness, nausea etc. (when I pull my Auricularis anterior, for me this triggers dizziness and a nausea attack).
Facial nerve, which I think could cause facial pain.
Auditory nerve.

I havent digged too deep into this, but it seems logical to me that those nerves could also be irritated if the muscles are not able to perform their task the way they should.

And the sensation of somone slapping my ear before my T has faded, I think thats the muscles that is spontaneously starting to work the way they should and they fail when the tension again builds up, or some of the muscles are too weak to keep this pull.

That could very well be possible imo, i too feel like those nerves are irritated, by muscle tensity hence the reactiveness. Yesterday i was trying out some auricularis and top of the SCM stretches, and i got very nauseated very fast by doing it 30seconds was enough, i stopped doing that stretch because i was gonna puke otherwise, the auricularis posterior and the SCM seems to be responsible for that in my case, i've had mild episodes of nausea and dizziness before when stretching, also during sub-occipital stretches sometimes. but i figured it was from holding my breath, or tensing some other muscles, whatever, might have been wrong about that, i even blamed it on the heart arritmias i have every once in a while, but maybe it's the other way around.
I find it very interesting though that by manipulating my SCM, i can trigger pain and small contractions in the Auricularis superior and posterior, and nausea. The anterior seems to correspond with my jaw muscle, i can radiate weird feelings between those 2muscles.

Also it is interesting what you said a few posts ago about your muscles contracting after/during loud noise exposure, the Hyperacusis but not hyperacusis feeling. I have this too very often, it seems to get better now, but a few weeks ago it was terrible, i don't know if i experience it in the same way as you, but i would often notice indeed that the muscles around my ears would contract when hearing a loud sound, and for a few minutes after that, it doesn't hurt and the residual feeling doesn't last long.(that's why i'm convinced it's not H), but i feel every muscle in a few cm range of my ear contracting that way, i'm sure you know what i mean, some kind of pulling/pressure sensation. It might be a normal self-protection from our body, that is doing it's job way too good, because all muscles seem to be tenser than normal in that area. Sometimes it also seems to trigger the mild pulsatile T that occurs when my heart rate is elevated too. Must be that stress/anxiety causes some muscles to be tense/ contracting in the middle ear i suppose.

Glad to hear your doing fine man! You're most likely on the right path, and by that most likely we all are in this thread :). And the T does indeed go crazy and scream for a few hours, before calming down to a little bit lower than before intensive stretching, i have the same every time i come from physio, seems like you're your own physio. :)

I found diazepam to relax my muscles too, but my body can't stand the effect of downers somehow, it triggers massive anxiety, makes no sense but i've always had this and is purely psychological i think. so sadly not a solution for me.

At last nice to see the platysma muscle being mentioned here, very often in the latest months i would experience a pulling feeling in the area where the platysma muscle is linked to the lower jaw bone. as if that muscle is pulling my jaw downwards, accompanied with some tingling and an itchiness afterwards. Somehow i thought this muscle would never be related, and frankly i had no idea the platysma muscle existed, but you never know it might be related to the other symptoms. Or it is just a muscle being tensed and contracting because of another one(probably the SCM again).

The volume of my T unfortunately isn't calming down anymore, the pitch is though, the last 2days i've been able to make it morph from high CRT pitch to white noise somewhat by stretching pulling random neck/facial muscles which feel the most tense at that moment. Which is needless to say a lot less irritating to hear.
I'm convinced though that with lots of stretching it might improve more.

Also thanks a lot for the overview image of what you're stretching, very helpful!
The SCM article is also interesting, it might be related in the sense that somehow our auditory nerve manages to be involved also. I don't know how, but i feel like were part of a specific subset of people that experience T as a symptom, because the auditory nerve gets irritated too, or the brain just misinterpretates the signals. (hence the slight hiss we've always had during certain jaw movements etc... It's just a thought.

Yo guys,

Cheers.

Yeah i have that too also, looking to the right or to the left, sound changes, basically every movement involving facial and neck muscles does something, the sound itself changes too, but i haven't found why, it always happens during physical activities, but i haven't found a muscle that's the culprit though.
I can also trigger and make temp fleeting T disappear by doing certain neck movements.

Also to my BP happened the same, literally, from 140/60 to 140/80, but i'm suspecting it's just anxiety/stress, which i do subconsciously have about the T and etcetera.

Hi,

Just came back from chiro. Told him that I was not sure what to expect. This time I asked him if he indeed managed to help people with these symptoms. As a matter of fact he did. So that's promising. I keep having this annoying feeling behind my right ear today. The spot where I had muscle spasms as wel a few time. It also made me feel nausea a few times at work today. Plus I got this tingling / burning feeling through my jaw which seems to come from that spot.

My chiro just did some triggerpoint massages. Both my shoulders and the spots behind my ear hurt like shit.

When he pressed those muscles behind my ear I could feel it going all the way to the top above my ear. And could feel it going through my ear.

Unfortunately there's some music on there so I couldn't here if it tempered the noise.

Anyways that spot is seriously one of my triggerpoints and I think it might b even the cause of the sound. But I got to have some faith in my chiro I guess.

Got to go back in a week and a half, because then I got the mri results.

The sound is kind off annoying again . Kind of like the sound you describe @chronicburn.

But like I said it just changes constantly.

In the end we will solve this shit I'm sure about it ;).

Btw @chronicburn. You mention hat your underpressure has changed. If you were anxious the other one should be higher instead.. But for me I also noticed this major increase in underpressure. Even when I'm not anxious that is the case. Kinda weird though.

That could very well be possible imo, i too feel like those nerves are irritated, by muscle tensity hence the reactiveness. Yesterday i was trying out some auricularis and top of the SCM stretches, and i got very nauseated very fast by doing it 30seconds was enough, i stopped doing that stretch because i was gonna puke otherwise, the auricularis posterior and the SCM seems to be responsible for that in my case, i've had mild episodes of nausea and dizziness before when stretching, also during sub-occipital stretches sometimes. but i figured it was from holding my breath, or tensing some other muscles, whatever, might have been wrong about that, i even blamed it on the heart arritmias i have every once in a while, but maybe it's the other way around.
I find it very interesting though that by manipulating my SCM, i can trigger pain and small contractions in the Auricularis superior and posterior, and nausea. The anterior seems to correspond with my jaw muscle, i can radiate weird feelings between those 2muscles.

Also it is interesting what you said a few posts ago about your muscles contracting after/during loud noise exposure, the Hyperacusis but not hyperacusis feeling. I have this too very often, it seems to get better now, but a few weeks ago it was terrible, i don't know if i experience it in the same way as you, but i would often notice indeed that the muscles around my ears would contract when hearing a loud sound, and for a few minutes after that, it doesn't hurt and the residual feeling doesn't last long.(that's why i'm convinced it's not H), but i feel every muscle in a few cm range of my ear contracting that way, i'm sure you know what i mean, some kind of pulling/pressure sensation. It might be a normal self-protection from our body, that is doing it's job way too good, because all muscles seem to be tenser than normal in that area. Sometimes it also seems to trigger the mild pulsatile T that occurs when my heart rate is elevated too. Must be that stress/anxiety causes some muscles to be tense/ contracting in the middle ear i suppose.

Glad to hear your doing fine man! You're most likely on the right path, and by that most likely we all are in this thread :). And the T does indeed go crazy and scream for a few hours, before calming down to a little bit lower than before intensive stretching, i have the same every time i come from physio, seems like you're your own physio. :)

I found diazepam to relax my muscles too, but my body can't stand the effect of downers somehow, it triggers massive anxiety, makes no sense but i've always had this and is purely psychological i think. so sadly not a solution for me.

At last nice to see the platysma muscle being mentioned here, very often in the latest months i would experience a pulling feeling in the area where the platysma muscle is linked to the lower jaw bone. as if that muscle is pulling my jaw downwards, accompanied with some tingling and an itchiness afterwards. Somehow i thought this muscle would never be related, and frankly i had no idea the platysma muscle existed, but you never know it might be related to the other symptoms. Or it is just a muscle being tensed and contracting because of another one(probably the SCM again).

The volume of my T unfortunately isn't calming down anymore, the pitch is though, the last 2days i've been able to make it morph from high CRT pitch to white noise somewhat by stretching pulling random neck/facial muscles which feel the most tense at that moment. Which is needless to say a lot less irritating to hear.
I'm convinced though that with lots of stretching it might improve more.

Also thanks a lot for the overview image of what you're stretching, very helpful!
The SCM article is also interesting, it might be related in the sense that somehow our auditory nerve manages to be involved also. I don't know how, but i feel like were part of a specific subset of people that experience T as a symptom, because the auditory nerve gets irritated too, or the brain just misinterpretates the signals. (hence the slight hiss we've always had during certain jaw movements etc... It's just a thought.

Yeah i have that too also, looking to the right or to the left, sound changes, basically every movement involving facial and neck muscles does something, the sound itself changes too, but i haven't found why, it always happens during physical activities, but i haven't found a muscle that's the culprit though.
I can also trigger and make temp fleeting T disappear by doing certain neck movements.

Also to my BP happened the same, literally, from 140/60 to 140/80, but i'm suspecting it's just anxiety/stress, which i do subconsciously have about the T and etcetera.

Thanks for such an informative post man! :)

I can relate to the sound experience you are describing. I think it is a natural defence mechanism indeed.. I know that the tensor tympani muscle has its purpose as a defence mechanism, as it contratcts the eardrum to minimize the vibrations being sent through the middle ear. However, I also think that the auricularis muscles also are doing their thing here.

It could be that the big troubles started with the SCM from the beginning, and when the SCM got tense, the auricularis superior got a pull from it as they are directly connected, affecting the entire network of muscles. And then add teeth grinding on top of that which in turns adds even more tension to the auricularis anterior and posterior. Then you will have muscles pulling all around your ear, and finally they might fail.

I might ask my doc about my blood pressure recordings as I cant remember it right now.

I also want to add something really funny I noticed yesterday.

I have two tender spots in the back of my head, exactly where the SCM seems to be attached to the skull. When I press it, I have some weird feeling radiating a little around at the back of my head.
And about a year ago, I developed two small patches of eczema in the back of my head that doesnt seem to go away.
What I do find kind of funny and interesting is that those two patches are located exactly where the SCM is attached to the skull.... Now that seems very odd.

It also seems like the same machanism that is behind all this (which I umtimately think is the SCM), but has affected a host of other muscles as well during the time, is also affecting my heart beats, as in heart arrhythmias.

I also notice that when I stretch all those muscles, I sometimes get spasms in my groin.

The Platysma muscle seems to overlap the SCM as well, so if the platysma is tense, it seems like it could make a pull on the SCM, and also the other way around.

Sometimes, just sometimes when I tilt my head and add some pressure with my fingers on the right spot, my T goes completely away.

I think that the hiss from like yawning is pretty common.. And I think it is because when you yawn, you make a pull on the auricularis network of muscles, and it will result in a tiny change to the alignment of the malleus, incus and stapes.
But since we are able to trigger a nausea attack and dizziness by pulling the auricularis muscles, it could be that this hiss is originating from a pull at the auditory nerve, as the vestibular nerve is also located at about the same spot. Just a though as I would guess that dizziness and nausea could be related to the vestibular nerve.

@Sjtof
@chronicburn
@Jay M

Also, I just found out that my new neighbour is a retired physio. I talked to him about the issues I was experiencing, and he told me he had seen it many times before. He even took the time to have a look at my neck and gave me a few stretches I should do at home, and he said that I was welcome to come by if I needed some help. He also said that in all cases he had seen, it went away when the muscles had released its tension, IF it was because of muscle tension. It was in fact this man that pointed out my Platysma to be very tense. Also my SCM and auricularis muscles. It has to be something to it.

He had especially seen vision problems, nerve pain, nausea, diziness and tinnitus being the cause of tension to those muscles.
In fact he asked me if I had any vision problems, and I told him no. Then he was kind of surprised that I didnt, but when thinking back, Ive had eye floaters, sometimes blurred vision and also red spots on my eye now and then. I forgot to tell him though, but I will next time I talk to him.

@Sjtof
@chronicburn
@Jay M

Also, I just found out that my new neighbour is a retired physio. I talked to him about the issues I was experiencing, and he told me he had seen it many times before. He even took the time to have a look at my neck and gave me a few stretches I should do at home, and he said that I was welcome to come by if I needed some help. He also said that in all cases he had seen, it went away when the muscles had released its tension, IF it was because of muscle tension. It was in fact this man that pointed out my Platysma to be very tense. Also my SCM and auricularis muscles. It has to be something to it.

He had especially seen vision problems, nerve pain, nausea, diziness and tinnitus being the cause of tension to those muscles.
In fact he asked me if I had any vision problems, and I told him no. Then he was kind of surprised that I didnt, but when thinking back, Ive had eye floaters, sometimes blurred vision and also red spots on my eye now and then. I forgot to tell him though, but I will next time I talk to him.

Did he say how long this kind of tension can last causing the tinnitus symptoms?

Did he say how long this kind of tension can last causing the tinnitus symptoms?

I got the impression that if it was treated and it was related to tension, it should go away within a few weeks to a couple of months..
Untreated, I would guess it could stick around for a while...

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now