Traveling... Difference in Air Pressure etc.

Mario martz

Author
Feb 12, 2016
Tinnitus Since
02/2016
Hey guys, so right now I have a business trip.

I wish I could really avoid it but I can't, so they gave me the option to go by bus lol.

I'm going to capital city (Mexico City).

I have heard it has a different air pressure / change in altitude

Do you think this could cause a worsening of tinnitus?

Also... wondering if a bus (a greyhound type of bus) would cause damage.

There have been much discussion on the subject of air travel after T. If no other people respond to this thread, you can search TT threads about this subject. Generally speaking, many people, including me, have been able to travel and enjoy the world after some time especially after the are habituated to T. For barotrauma protection, you may want to buy some earplanes, which are special ear plugs designed for air travel to balance out pressure changes. You can also bring noise cancellation headphone, or even just foam plugs. Bring some nasal spray just in case your nose and/or sinuses are plugged which can prevent the Eustachian tube from balancing the air pressure properly.

I have taken long intercontinental and transpacific flights myself, to Asia, to Europe, to Hawaii and across the North American continent. Many people have done the same. Here is Aaron and his success story showing the places across the globe he has visited since the T. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/who-said-our-life-is-all-about-tinnitus-i-share-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

There have been much discussion on the subject of air travel after T. If no other people respond to this thread, you can search TT threads about this subject. Generally speaking, many people, including me, have been able to travel and enjoy the world after some time especially after the are habituated to T. For barotrauma protection, you may want to buy some earplanes, which are special ear plugs designed for air travel to balance out pressure changes. You can also bring noise cancellation headphone, or even just foam plugs. Bring some nasal spray just in case your nose and/or sinuses are plugged which can prevent the Eustachian tube from balancing the air pressure properly.

I have taken long intercontinental and transpacific flights myself, to Asia, to Europe, to Hawaii and across the North American continent. Many people have done the same. Here is Aaron and his success story showing the places across the globe he has visited since the T. Take good care. God bless.

https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/who-said-our-life-is-all-about-tinnitus-i-share-with-you-some-pictures-i-took-after.3268/

Thank you Billie! always helping.
well actually im going by bus, im a little habituated to tinnitus now but still dont feel comfortable about flying.

the city where im going is in a higher altitude
so i was wondering if that could make things worse D:

No

No

Don't be crazy, these things are innocent!

Will a leaf dropping from the tree cause a worsening?

Im gonna take things with humor and that would be the best for us haha
and also im gonna trust your wisdom since you have been having tinnitus since 1990

gotyoubynuts, this is my month no 6 with this thing, and since a lot of things make it worse
i dont wanna end up doing something that i consider safe and then have it worse.

i havent travel by bus in a long long long time i dont know if they are noisy or not.
the only buses i know are the local ones and they are nosy as f#ck, at least where i live, they are...

mexico city is in another level of altitude
usually in places like that, some people experience headaches, blood preasure goes up, dizziness etc.
and since a freaking glass of coke make tinnitus worse...well....

I've flown six times this year. I live at about 700 ft above sea level. I've been to Salt Lake City, about 4400 ft above sea level, and I've been at sea level in LA and NYC. I haven't noticed any differences in the tinnitus relative to flying or changes in elevation. I also rode between cities on a charter bus once, which is not unlike a Greyhound bus. It was a little quieter than a city bus. If you sit in the front, away from the engine, it may be quieter.

I don't think it is documented that a bus ride can damage the hearing of a normal person. But if you have T that some called 'reactive tinnitus' which they say noise will aggravate it, then perhaps you should take ear plugs with you and best is noise cancellation headphones. Since your ears are a bit unstable still, it is prudent to protect from the bus noise especially the ride is a long one. Try to focus your attention on outside scenery of the ride instead of zooming in on T and getting anxious that it will get worse. Doing so will just increase your anxiety level and aggravate T.

I have been on a plane three times since the onset! You will be fine! You might have a little spike which I noticed sometimes after i got off plane but it's nothing like big and usually goes away within a couple hours. Last month I went up north and it was normal! No spike or anything

@Mario martz as you say 'enjoy the ride' but please do try the plane another time, I'm sure you would be fine. I fly across the Atlantic fron London to the U.S. about three times a year without problem. Off to NJ/NYC in a few weeks and I can't wait. DF has quite a pollution problem doesn't it? This would be a far greater worry for me as I have allergies/asthma which in turn effects my T. We all have to do what we think is best for ourself, there are no set rules for T, it's a law unto itself. Enjoy your trip.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now