• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Turmeric with Curcumin Seems to Be Helping

@alanisnotadj, I've tried Curcumin. It seems to enhance my mood but nothing else...

I saw you had good success with Gabapentin. You still use it to success? Wondering if it would help my noise-induced sound reactive tinnitus and ear drum spasms ;-/

You have to make sure the curcuminoids listed on the bottle are 98%. I bought one with black pepper, it only had 25% curcuminoids...
I'm using this one that's apparently 65x better than the 98% one.

https://nootropicsdepot.com/longvida-curcumin-capsules/

Not sure how legit or not it is but Nootropics Depot are the best supplement store in the market, in my mind. They also have another version of Curcumin that is white so it avoids that staining. Could be useful for people who want to mega dose it since staining is the worst side effect.

Scientific Studies Reveal the Best Curcumin Product

If you just buy Curcumin powder, only containing Curcumin, wouldn't that be better? I understand you have to take it with oil as well, besides black pepper, for better absorption.

If you just buy Curcumin powder, only containing Curcumin, wouldn't that be better? I understand you have to take it with oil as well, besides black pepper, for better absorption.
The optimised versions apparently have higher bioavailability compared to plain Curcumin.

Any experience with Curcumin while on a SSRI? I take Luvox and I wonder if the effects of Curcumin on serotonin could be dangerous in my case.

Looks like you need to take Turmeric with fats and black pepper. Some Curcumin/Turmeric supplements already contain Piperine from black pepper but maybe the fats is the missing piece. Perhaps having the Turmeric in cooking is also better than supplements.

From BBC "Trust Me I'm A Doctor":

Why would cooking with turmeric be different from taking it as a supplement?

It is thought that cooking with Turmeric has an impact on how much Curcumin from it our bodies are able to absorb. Curcumin is lipophilic, which means it binds to fats, and so when we cook with oils the Curcumin binds to the oil and is more easily absorbed by our guts. Black pepper – more specifically, a compound of black pepper called Piperine – might do the same thing, helping to smuggle even more of the Curcumin into our bodies. Hence cooking with Turmeric, black pepper and oils together might be a better combination.

I think i tried Turmeric-Curcumin-BioPerine a few years ago when my neck was really stiff and had bad range of motion. It did nothing for my tinnitus.

Now my neck is better, less stiff and range of motion is better so I'm going to try this supplement again.

Anyone think the Turmeric-Curcumin-BioPerine would work better with a better neck as I mentioned above?

I saw you had good success with Gabapentin. You still use it to success?
I use Gabapentin w/ OTC Benadryl regularly for a sleep aid. I have taken that combination for some years. It never did anything for my tinnitus, but of course everyone is going to be different. Doctors love to prescribe Gabapentin because it plays well w/ lots of other medications and it's not an opioid. But I was reading recently that Gabapentin is not recommended for long term use. It's actually all over the internet, so I need to stop taking it for now and see if just the Benadryl and maybe Chamomile tea w/ Lavender will suffice. This is one of the 1st things I saw on the web:

"Gabapentin is known to cause respiratory depression, particularly when combined with other central nervous system depressants. Long-term use can cause physiologic dependence and withdrawal syndrome on cessation, characterized by diaphoresis, anxiety, confusion and, rarely, seizures."​

and this:

"Gabapentin may cause vision changes, clumsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness, drowsiness, sleepiness, or trouble with thinking."​

I try to never take it in the daytime, and if I do, I stay off my eBike. It can definitely make me a little woozy, and slows my reaction time down. Not good when mixing it up w/ 2 ton cars and trucks!

I use Gabapentin w/ OTC Benadryl regularly for a sleep aid. I have taken that combination for some years. It never did anything for my tinnitus, but of course everyone is going to be different. Doctors love to prescribe Gabapentin because it plays well w/ lots of other medications and it's not an opioid. But I was reading recently that Gabapentin is not recommended for long term use. It's actually all over the internet, so I need to stop taking it for now and see if just the Benadryl and maybe Chamomile tea w/ Lavender will suffice. This is one of the 1st things I saw on the web:

"Gabapentin is known to cause respiratory depression, particularly when combined with other central nervous system depressants. Long-term use can cause physiologic dependence and withdrawal syndrome on cessation, characterized by diaphoresis, anxiety, confusion and, rarely, seizures."​

and this:

"Gabapentin may cause vision changes, clumsiness, unsteadiness, dizziness, drowsiness, sleepiness, or trouble with thinking."​

I try to never take it in the daytime, and if I do, I stay off my eBike. It can definitely make me a little woozy, and slows my reaction time down. Not good when mixing it up w/ 2 ton cars and trucks!
@momus, you can read lots of rubbish on the internet that's not written by medical professionals.

maybe Chamomile tea w/ Lavender will suffice.
Other natural sleep supplements that might help are, lemon balm, melatonin, apigenin (just a concentrated chamomile extract), coriander, l-theanine, valerian root, taurine, ashwagandha and magnesium.

I've been using Thorne's Curcumin supplement for a month, along with NOW Foods Boswellia extract and I feel like I can now say that it has definitely helped my tinnitus. It's not a miracle and the change wasn't super drastic but it has made its overall character softer and easier to deal with. I noticed it within a few days of starting. It's not permanent and fluctuates but overall I've had many more mild days than before. It hasn't done anything for my ear fullness, which was what I was hoping for. Overall I'm going to continue with it and hope it improves more over time.

It's not a miracle and the change wasn't super drastic but it has made its overall character softer and easier to deal with.
Hi @Ngo13 -- Thanks for sharing your modest improvements. They mirror quite closely the improvements I'm having with small doses of Methylene Blue, which I started about 3 weeks ago.

I've been using Thorne's Curcumin supplement for a month, along with NOW Foods Boswellia extract and I feel like I can now say that it has definitely helped my tinnitus. It's not a miracle and the change wasn't super drastic but it has made its overall character softer and easier to deal with. I noticed it within a few days of starting. It's not permanent and fluctuates but overall I've had many more mild days than before. It hasn't done anything for my ear fullness, which was what I was hoping for. Overall I'm going to continue with it and hope it improves more over time.
Hi @Ngo13,

I'm not sure if it was coincidental at the time, but the week after starting Boswellia extract (the same brand as yours), I also noticed small improvements to my hyperacusis out of the blue. I became slightly more tolerant to sensitive sounds. I can't say for certain whether the Boswellia extract was a key factor into this random improvement, but it kinda did felt like it at the time. Maybe it kickstarted a recovery path, but it's really hard for me to say these things with absolute certainty.

Anyways, glad to hear you're experiencing more mild tinnitus days lately.

About the Thorne's Curcumin supplement, how many milligrams are you taking? Looking to try Curcumin/Turmeric again. Experiencing some knee joint pain lately.

Hi @Ngo13 -- Thanks for sharing your modest improvements. They mirror quite closely the improvements I'm having with small doses of Methylene Blue, which I started about 3 weeks ago.
How does Methylene Blue work? I wonder if it could provide further reduction for me.
Hi @Ngo13,

About the Thorne's Curcumin supplement, how many milligrams are you taking? Looking to try Curcumin/Turmeric again. Experiencing some knee joint pain lately.
I take 1000 mg/day - it is two 500 mg pills. I found that taking one in the morning and one at night helped the most. I take it with my fish oil supplement as it is better absorbed with fats, or a meal. I was attempting to replicate a clinical trial I had read about where they used a combination of Curcumin and Boswellia.

I'm looking at this Curcumin/Boswellia study. Does anyone know the company that is supplying the supplements?

I wouldn't look to replicate a study by ordering unregulated products from here, there and everywhere. Big brands don't mean good quality, they just mean good advertising!

You should also replicate the dosage if you can.

I'm looking at this Curcumin/Boswellia study. Does anyone know the company that is supplying the supplements?

I wouldn't look to replicate a study by ordering unregulated products from here, there and everywhere. Big brands don't mean good quality, they just mean good advertising!

You should also replicate the dosage if you can.
Do you mean this study?

Effect of Highly Bioavailable Curcumin on Subjective Tinnitus

If so, they use this product by SmartCeuticals (mentioned in the study text):

Boscumin

Do you mean this study?

Effect of Highly Bioavailable Curcumin on Subjective Tinnitus

If so, they use this product by SmartCeuticals (mentioned in the study text):

Boscumin
Yep, that's the one. I saw the "Both the active compound and the placebo will be provided by Smartceuticals."

But I went to the website and couldn't find the product. All I found were warnings that most supplements are full of stuff they should not contain and potentially dangerous blah blah blah.

Yep, that's the one. I saw the "Both the active compound and the placebo will be provided by Smartceuticals."

But I went to the website and couldn't find the product. All I found were warnings that most supplements are full of stuff they should not contain and potentially dangerous blah blah blah.
It can be bought on Boscumin.com.

can be bought on Boscumin.com.
Thanks pal. I will only buy from the manufacturer that supplied for the study. Reason being a lot of supplement companies do not provide what they claim. Well known and 'reputable' ones are not always the exception to the rule. Well known companies just advertise better!

Thanks pal. I will only buy from the manufacturer that supplied for the study. Reason being a lot of supplement companies do not provide what they claim. Well known and 'reputable' ones are not always the exception to the rule. Well known companies just advertise better!
That is the manufacturer I believe: Smartceuticals.

Did you ever end up purchasing & trying SmartCeuticals' Boscumin supplement? If so, did you notice any effects, positive or otherwise?

Did you ever end up purchasing & trying SmartCeuticals' Boscumin supplement? If so, did you notice any effects, positive or otherwise?
I did not. In general, all supplements only make you poorer. I will wait for the study results before taking it.

When I take a Magnesium + Curcumin complex with Ashwagandha, I notice a reduction in my tinnitus.

Attachments

• 20230729_122948.jpg
    20230729_122948.jpg
    2.9 MB · Views: 70

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now