• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Two Years In with Hyperacusis — Progressively Gotten Worse, Not Sure What to Do

They did. It was more or less ok, a bit of pain with some beeps... My hyperacusis was at 50 dB in most frequencies, pretty bad.
Are you concerned about the loudness tolerance test causing an aggravation of the hyperacusis and tinnitus?

I have only had one audiologist want to do a loudness tolerance test. After she put the device in one ear and started the test, I told her that we would have to stop. I can tolerate the basic hearing test.

How are your word recognition scores?

Are you concerned about the loudness tolerance test causing an aggravation of the hyperacusis and tinnitus?
No.
How are your word recognition scores?
It's been a year since I had that test. They used to be 100% or very close. Now I think they should be lower. This can be done with or without background noise, with static, with noise in one ear, with headphones, speakers. You will get different results depending on how the test is done.

How do people in here assess setbacks? Does everyone here equal pain to a setback, or is there something that I may be overlooking?

I don't have constant noxacusis, but I do get shooting tingling sensation on right side of face, as well as teeth/Eustachian tube, burning/hot ear, once a day I get that stabbing on the ear drum feeling, and also some weird pain on the right side of my tongue. Reactive tinnitus (two tones now) in right ear. All of this seems localized to the right side.

Looking for guidance from people that currently have it, are chronic, or success stories. I know most will say "protect, protect, protect" but loudness hyperacusis comes back because of this and tinnitus becomes even more reactive afterwards for a short period.

It's been a year since I had that test. They used to be 100% or very close. Now I think they should be lower. This can be done with or without background noise, with static, with noise in one ear, with headphones, speakers. You will get different results depending on how the test is done.
Have hearing aids ever been suggested for your hearing loss? An ENT suggested them to me today based on my noise induced hearing loss (which is still mild in both ears and moderate at certain frequencies in one ear). I obviously have concerns about amplifying sounds when I already hear sounds as too loud. She seemed to be thinking about hearing aids for tinnitus instead of hyperacusis. I know of a few people with hyperacusis who seemed to have benefited from hearing aids.

She also told me that I should rarely protect with earplugs/earmuffs because it would result in some form of recruitment.

Have hearing aids ever been suggested for your hearing loss? An ENT suggested them to me today based on my noise induced hearing loss (which is still mild in both ears and moderate at certain frequencies in one ear). I obviously have concerns about amplifying sounds when I already hear sounds as too loud. She seemed to be thinking about hearing aids for tinnitus instead of hyperacusis. I know of a few people with hyperacusis who seemed to have benefited from hearing aids.
I asked about hearing aids to my ENT and they were not recommended due to hyperacusis. My ENT said that hearing aids are recommended for people with more hearing loss than me.
She also told me that I should rarely protect with earplugs/earmuffs because it would result in some form of recruitment.
That's really bad advice, in my opinion...

I asked about hearing aids to my ENT and they were not recommended due to hyperacusis. My ENT said that hearing aids are recommended for people with more hearing loss than me.

That's really bad advice, in my opinion...
I thought that you had experienced significant hearing loss, and that this resulted in your hyperacusis being offset to an extent. I think that hearing aids are effective for people with mild to moderate hearing loss. Apparently, people with severe hearing loss may not benefit from them. Mine is mild with a moderate dip in one ear (my bad ear) at a certain frequency.

Has any ENT discussed the issue of wearing protection with you? The ENT yesterday did say that I should wear protection if I am going to be exposed to louder sounds above a certain decibel amount. She was just objecting to wearing plugs or earmuffs for common, everyday sounds (running water in a shower or sink, etc.).

I thought that you had experienced significant hearing loss, and that this resulted in your hyperacusis being offset to an extent. I think that hearing aids are effective for people with mild to moderate hearing loss. Apparently, people with severe hearing loss may not benefit from them. Mine is mild with a moderate dip in one ear (my bad ear) at a certain frequency.
Hearing loss becomes an issue when understanding other in certain circumstances like background noise is sometimes a problem. So classifications do not really matter, whether it is mild or moderate. Those are just cathegories ENTs use, but they look at the pure tone audiogram mainly, rather than the speech recognition test.

There are also cases where the pure tone audiogram is very good and speech recognition is significantly worse, and with noise even worse...

So hearing aids were not recommended due to hyperacusis / recruitment, this is, the lack of tolerance to sounds above a certain decibel level, a sound level that everyone encounters when walking around traffic at any city.

As for hearing protection, the opinion is almost unanimous on NOT wearing it for stuff as running water, but wearing it when loud sounds are around or possible. The last bit means in fact wearing protection pretty much everywhere outside home, at least in an urban area.

Has any ENT discussed the issue of wearing protection with you? The ENT yesterday did say that I should wear protection if I am going to be exposed to louder sounds above a certain decibel amount. She was just objecting to wearing plugs or earmuffs for common, everyday sounds (running water in a shower or sink, etc.).
Regarding hearing loss I wanted to add that sometimes there is "distortion" or some frequencies (high sounds, for instance.. or low sounds) seem dimmed and others "enhanced"... and my current stage is that there is a very weird feeling of like sound hitting a "wall", this is, a "deaf" sound. The sound is not distorted anymore, there is no roundness to it, or deepness to the sound, there is just no sound.

It is like sound hits my eardrums but the information is somehow lost and my brain is a lot slower than before at processing it. So I miss bits of information... I know what people are talking about but I miss a lot of words and therefore the nuances and details in a conversation. It's very weird. This is recent for me.

Regarding hearing loss I wanted to add that sometimes there is "distortion" or some frequencies (high sounds, for instance.. or low sounds) seem dimmed and others "enhanced"... and my current stage is that there is a very weird feeling of like sound hitting a "wall", this is, a "deaf" sound. The sound is not distorted anymore, there is no roundness to it, or deepness to the sound, there is just no sound.

It is like sound hits my eardrums but the information is somehow lost and my brain is a lot slower than before at processing it. So I miss bits of information... I know what people are talking about but I miss a lot of words and therefore the nuances and details in a conversation. It's very weird. This is recent for me.
In relation to wearing hearing protection in loud urban environments, are you referencing sirens, planes overhead, etc.? I walk in the early evening when it is quiet. I was wearing some cotton in my ears because it dampened the sound somewhat but not too much like foam earplugs that cause me to hear each footstep as loud due to the occlusion effect.

My recent ENT definitely thinks that I should eat them for concerts, sporting events, fireworks displays, etc. but like a lot of folks, she does not want me to wear them around normal, everyday sounds. This would probably include driving around town, going to the store, etc. I tried to explain to her how loud a golf club can be hitting the ball, but she did not seem to think that I should wear them for that activity. She was saying that any sounds below 95 dB would not necessitate protection.

My recent ENT definitely thinks that I should eat them for concerts, sporting events, fireworks displays,
No one with hyperacusis should go to those events. There is a high risk of getting worse.

The problem with "normal everyday sounds" is those include car horns, power tools and all sorts of unexpected very loud noises. Those brief noises can make hyperacusis and tinnitus permanently worse, even brief exposures to them... damaged ears do not function as well, or cope with loud sound as well as normal ears. Most ENTs do not know something as basic as that...

My recent ENT definitely thinks that I should eat them for concerts, sporting events, fireworks displays, etc. but like a lot of folks, she does not want me to wear them around normal, everyday sounds.
In general, I would agree to this if you have sound sensitivity such as loudness hyperacusis.

However, consider using protection when driving on highway and so forth, and long drives, and also if you go to really busy avenues and streets with a lot of people, cars, etc.

But, you need to feel what works for you. Only YOU would know best. You need to listen to your inner self as there are no 100% certain answers to this.

I would opt for molded musician plugs with filters.

I get audiometric tests (routine ENT visits) at least 3 times per year.
@Juan, curious about your thoughts on why such frequent audiometric tests? Do the results give you any actionable paths forward? Or more because you are just interested in knowing, and being able to track any changes over time?

In general, I would agree to this if you have sound sensitivity such as loudness hyperacusis.

However, consider using protection when driving on highway and so forth, and long drives, and also if you go to really busy avenues and streets with a lot of people, cars, etc.

But, you need to feel what works for you. Only YOU would know best. You need to listen to your inner self as there are no 100% certain answers to this.

I would opt for molded musician plugs with filters.
Hey @MindOverMatter, I want to ask you. I went out for a really long drive (2 and a half hours), to go hiking. I had a really good time listening to the sounds of nature and all that other good stuff, but after I got back home, I found my tinnitus to be elevated in volume and the reactivity became more noticeable. I was wearing ear protection in the car too.

Have you experienced anything similar from traveling long durations by car? Did you ever find that your tinnitus elevated in volume after long car rides? I'm not really concerned as I'm confident this is going to be temporary, but I was wondering if you had similar experiences? It was the most sound exposure I've ever taken since onset. I was very fatigued by the end of the trip.

Hey @MindOverMatter, I want to ask you. I went out for a really long drive (2 and a half hours), to go hiking. I had a really good time listening to the sounds of nature and all that other good stuff, but after I got back home, I found my tinnitus to be elevated in volume and the reactivity became more noticeable. I was wearing ear protection in the car too.

Have you experienced anything similar from traveling long durations by car? Did you ever find that your tinnitus elevated in volume after long car rides? I'm not really concerned as I'm confident this is going to be temporary, but I was wondering if you had similar experiences? It was the most sound exposure I've ever taken since onset. I was very fatigued by the end of the trip.
Hey Z,

If I can quickly chime in... Just saw your post that immediately reminded me of a passage in Neil Bauman's Hypersensitive to Sound eBook.

He does a chapter on "reactive tinnitus". I actually corresponded with him about my own reactive tinnitus when I was trying to work out whether reactive tinnitus is a third condition all by itself or a 'symptomatic intersect between tinnitus and hyperacusis'. FWIW I'm in the latter camp.

Anyhow, you may find this passage interesting...

Screenshot 2022-05-16 at 09.09.24.jpg

@Juan, curious about your thoughts on why such frequent audiometric tests? Do the results give you any actionable paths forward? Or more because you are just interested in knowing, and being able to track any changes over time?
I just want to know how my hearing evolves and changes, and whether there are changes in word recognition scores.

I realise these tests won't provide a basis for any treatment or solution to this problem...

Yes, many, many times.

It usually always winds up after a long ride. But then again I know its temporary as these are tolerable sound levels. I don't dwell too much about it. We do get more fatigued indeed given our reactiveness and sensitivity to sound.

Great quote/finding from @UKBloke btw! I could not agree more to it.

Hey Z,

If I can quickly chime in... Just saw your post that immediately reminded me of a passage in Neil Bauman's Hypersensitive to Sound eBook.

He does a chapter on "reactive tinnitus". I actually corresponded with him about my own reactive tinnitus when I was trying to work out whether reactive tinnitus is a third condition all by itself or a 'symptomatic intersect between tinnitus and hyperacusis'. FWIW I'm in the latter camp.

Anyhow, you may find this passage interesting...

View attachment 50244
Wow, thank you for sharing this. This exactly describes my experience in the last 24 hours.

I adopted the same mindset like this Richard fellow when I came home. I kept busy at home and did my best not to get fixated by it. The following morning after a good night sleep, my tinnitus returned back to previous levels. This "reset" phenomenon is real thing. I recalled you've had similar experiences like this as well. And I definitely agree with you on reactive tinnitus being an intersect between tinnitus and hyperacusis. Always a pleasure to talk with you, UK.
Yes, many, many times.
It usually always winds up after a long ride.But then again I know its temporary as these are tolerable sound levels. I don't dwell too much about it. We do get more fatigued indeed given our reactiveness and sensitivity to sound.

Great quote/finding from @UKBloke btw! I could not agree more to it.
Awesome. I'm finally starting to get a better handle on this condition myself. In the beginning, a tinnitus increase would leave me panic stricken, but this time around, I've had solid stretches where my mind doesn't evoke a negative emotional reaction as much. And if I do have a negative reaction, it doesn't last very long. Happen recently with a thunderstrike recently.

Knowing and believing that this will be temporary makes it a lot of easier to carry on with the day.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now