Two Years of ETD — Finally Got My Left Ear to Open with a Little Trick

Discussion in 'Success Stories' started by martinberryhorse, Aug 25, 2021.

1. martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      This is a minor success but I want to share it because I have seen absolutely no improvement anywhere else, except once two months after onset.

For the last two years I have been told by countless ENTs to do the Valsalva, but each time my left ear would refuse to open no matter how hard I tried. I began to worry I would injure myself doing this as I've seen cases on here where that has happened to people.

However I found a little trick that finally got my ear to open after two years. If anyone else has been having this issue it may help but keep in mind there are risks with the Valsalva.

The trick is this:

Yawn before you do the Valsalva, and as you close the mouth at the end of the yawn, "catch" the yawn by holding your nose shut and gently using the pressure of the "caught" yawn to do the Valsalva.

For me I know I'm at the right moment when I feel the Eustachian tubes crackle open a little bit, or try to near the end of the yawn.

Don't force it too hard, just let the yawn do the work but sometimes I have to give it a little push. It still takes much less effort than the way I was unsuccessfully doing it before.

For me this works especially well after or during rigorous exercise.

No effect on my tinnitus yet, but my left ear isn't making popping sounds randomly throughout the day almost at all anymore which it used to do 5-10 times a day. Ears are still crackling with every swallow.

Still it feels really good to finally have something work even a little bit after 800 days of nothing changing.

Thanks for reading.

• Good Question Good Question x 2
      • Informative Informative x 2
      • Like Like x 1
      • Useful Useful x 1
    2. G H
      Curious

G H Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      Any recommended YouTube videos for this technique?

• Like Like x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      martinberryhorse

martinberryhorse Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Aug 5, 2019
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      One hard cough
      I couldn't find any that specifically uses the combination of yawning and Valsalva, but there are a lot about the Valsalva.

I might make a video myself, I will post it here if I do.

• Like Like x 2
    4. Maria Francesca

Maria Francesca Member Podcast Patron Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      drug-induced peripheral neuropathy
      Some additional tricks from my side, to limit the risk of a too forceful Valsava:

- before doing it, put a balsamic oil (I use Rinostil, an Italian one) into each nostril and by inclining the head on each side let it run over the ET opening, it will lubricate it and facilitate a smooth air ingress
      - instead of closing the nose, use an Otovent Ballon, it will assure there will not be excessive pressure

With the oil the ears will be also stopping crackling for a while.

• Like Like x 1
    5. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Otovent?

6. Maria Francesca

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      • Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    7. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      Thanks! :)

By the way, I also spend time near Barcelona, after summer season of course. The city is incredibly noisy so I seldom go there but Sitges is very nice.

• Like Like x 1
    8. Maria Francesca

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I also like Sitges, the modernist centre and the spectacular villas on the seaside. Last time I was there was before the pandemic...

• Hug Hug x 1
    9. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      It is a very nice place, and quiet off season. Rooftops are very nice too; there are a bunch of restaurants and places to have a drink at hotels rooftops...

How do you manage to live in Barcelona having hearing issues?

10. Maria Francesca

Tinnitus Since:
      05/20
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      You are right, I have to manage it.

I live in an apartment with windows facing an internal quiet garden ;)

I avoid busy streets as possible and go to parks and beach to have a walk.

Where do you live?

• Hug Hug x 1
    11. Juan

Juan Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      08/2014
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Several causes
      That's a good choice in a noisy city.
      I am spending part of the year in Castelldefels, near the beach. It's as quiet as it gets around Barcelona, I think... maybe Sitges is even quieter off season, and more scenic, but there is the toll and driving is more complicated.

I have been living in coastal towns for more than a decade in several parts of Spain.