• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Vibrating Bass Sound Is Causing Me to Have a Breakdown

Hi all

I don't know if anyone has ever had a sound like this which has started up and is continuous. It literally feels like a vibrating bass speaker in my ear. I have had a multitude of tinnitus sounds going on for years and years which I have dealt with but this vibrating sound is making me truly crack. I won't go on for much longer.

This feels like the end and there is no one here who understands the sound it seems.

I'm not going to last much longer and when I say that I mean it.
You didn't even respond to my replies to you in the other thread you created about this low bass sound. No one understands you? Really?

@Brett_angel I had researched vibrating bass before and mention was made to nerve synapse terminals, not hair cells.
Magnesium and antioxidant foods were recommended.

@Brett_angel
I know what low drone tinnitus is like as have it also with a high his sound also and it can be tough going.
I have hearing aids with maskers and also just maskers to give me a break .
It was 2am and was still awake so took some tabs to help me get some sleep .
I will try post something that you might like ..
love glynis

@Brett_angel
I have a 4 hour utube video I like to play sometimes but it was done by a friend and can not upload it from my fb page.
If you would like me send it to you please pm me your email.

love glynis

Which replies are they? Sorry I had to create a new one.
It may be (not certain) your middle ear muscles (tensor tympani in particular). Mine can cramp up and I get a very low bass sound too because of it. I lose low end hearing in the affected ear, but it comes back once the muscle relaxes.
It sounds like a party down the street, or tumble dryer in another part of the house or even a turbo prop plane in the distance. It used to be very disconcerting and annoying but I ignore it now and look forward to when it will go into remission - maybe hours or even days or more. Its been a year and it keeps coming back, but I'm getting more periods of remission. As I'm typing this it's throbbing away and there are other sounds going on too. It's a result of acoustic shock disorder, that started with hyperacusis.

You should go to a good audioligist and see what they think. See how your low frequency hearing is.

@Gman I had gotten a bass vibration before so I researched it and I just researched it again. All articles and research studies say that a bass vibration is caused by nerve endings - synapse terminals of the auditory nerve. This can be caused by anything that will cause tinnitus.

Nerve treatment include antioxidants, magnesium, folic acid, B6, B12, potassium, alpha lipoic acid with NAC. I have taken all these for my facial nerve damage. I found that magnesium and B12 helps a little temporary. I would like to take more alpha lipoic acid, but NAC spikes me bad.

@Gman I had gotten a bass vibration before so I researched it and I just researched it again. All articles and research studies say that a bass vibration is caused by nerve endings - synapse terminals of the auditory nerve. This can be caused by anything that will cause tinnitus.

Nerve treatment include antioxidants, magnesium, folic acid, B6, B12, potassium, alpha lipoic acid with NAC. I have taken all these for my facial nerve damage. I found that magnesium and B12 helps a little temporary. I would like to take more alpha lipoic acid, but NAC spikes me bad.
Mine is caused by the tensor tympani as part of ASD/TTTS. When starts to cramp up, the low end stuff and some more mid freq sound start happening. Cramping means sound can't travel through to the cochlear properly, the lower freqs are most affected. My trigeminal nerves on my face also become very sensitive. Touching my face, around the ear intensifies it momentarily. In fact, massaging my face and neck can sometimes help it to release, but sometimes it stays jammed until it randomly relaxes.
I do take many of those supplements here and there, but can't say any have helped - not even mag. It's just a waiting game.
It took me a long time to work it out, before which it used to upset me. Now I just ride it out.

I have taken all these for my facial nerve damage

Wait, facial nerve damage?

I have bass like tinnitus and severe ear myoclonus, I know those muscles are innervated by facial nerve, but... I had some jaw nerve damage (paralyzis) before... Can that cause permanent dysfunction? I mean, can't the nerve pathways fully regain their previous state, do they somehow misfire? Just like with tinnitus, brain plasticity/nerve regeneration gone wrong??

@Jemina I have about 20 links on this, but every other word has 12 letters. They are very complicated reads. Here's the bottom line in simple language. Most jaw nerves will heal. The facial nerve will rarely heal, but often the facial nerve is only in trauma from something else. This something else could be one or more of 500 different things. I don't think that any of this has to do with your conditions.

@Greg Sacramento

If only my jaw nerves were affected, would it be possible that once they are fully healed, and if I can get my patulous eustachian tubes fixed, my ear myoclonus would be cured?

I have noticed that the ear muscles are worse after eating... And talking...

@Jemina If your PET will work normal and close, then yes you will become free of your pressure around the ear drum and any vibration sounds such as hearing your voice, heartbeat and breathing. We had one of the best therapy programs for this because we had the highest rate of PET in the USA. We had an area just for this.
Two things to do that are both bad for your health, but they remarkably work. Gain some weight. Reduce physical activity.

@Greg Sacramento

I have quite bad GI motility disorders (C.diff infection and aggressive Vancomysin treatment a few years ago messed up my GI tract - and possibly ears!! - for good), so gaining weight is very difficult (I'm slightly underweight and my muscles are very weak)... :(

I will call the hospital where I worked and get their treatment plan that includes safe ways to put on temporary weight. I know that one was a special gluten free yogurt. I will get back to you later today.

Thanks for all your comments. I have decided to leave the site. I have had tinnitus for many years and this recent continual booming bass low frequency noise is just too challenging for me to be honest. I dont know where that leaves me. I just know that all i can offer is pessimism and i cant give anything back to anyone. Anything anyone tells me here cant help me or tell me something i don't already know. I wish you all the best. Thank you

@Jemina Besides weight loss and less exercise they mentioned that breathing thru the nose was important.
Vitamin A - liver - egg yolks - fermented cod liver oil - spinach

I was disappointed, but I'm often disappointed with care providers.

@Greg Sacramento

Nose breathing feels uncomfortable, makes me a bit dizzy. I'm aware of my breathing all the time because of this condition, I can hear every breath and feel the air moving up the eustachian tubes :(

How does vitamin A help?

They said that steroids could make PET worse.

Oh no!! Before I got tinnitus, I had been using nasal steroids for several months, and my ears had started to hurt and my I heard my breath and heartbeat unusually louder in my ears.. I even took Prednisone, and antihistamines. Soon after that I got ear myoclonus... I have worsened my condition.. and maybe even caused my T... :(

@Brett_angel I am so sorry you are struggling with this. Try to stay calm and relax...give it sometime and it will settle. Did you go see a doctor? Are you taking any medications at the moment? Do you have any kind of support at home??? Try taking hot baths at night and chamomille tea.
Once.

I don't know if anyone has ever had a sound like this which has started up and is continuous. It literally feels like a vibrating bass speaker in my ear. I have had a multitude of tinnitus sounds going on for years and years which I have dealt with but this vibrating sound is making me truly crack. I won't go on for much longer.

This feels like the end and there is no one here who understands the sound it seems.

I'm not going to last much longer and when I say that I mean it.
I know exactly how you feel and what you're going through. The sound I hear is like a washing machine vibrating against a wall. I have a constant cicada-like noise in my ear with no break. The vibrating bass sound started this year, in 2024.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now