• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

VNG (Videonystagmography) Test Anyone? Did It Affect Your Tinnitus?

Lynnette

Author
Benefactor
Nov 25, 2013
Tinnitus Since
Aug 2013
Has anyone had a VNG (videonystagmography) due to dizziness and their tinnitus? If so, did it affect your tinnitus in any way? I know there's a part of the test where they put cold and warm air into the ear canals, which concerns me because of my tinnitus. I'd like to find out if my dizziness is related to an inner ear issue or a neurological cause, but I'm scared to take the test.

Well, my chiropractor has a VNG machine, and he did conduct a VNG test on me, without any adverse effects.

But I'd be interested to hear from others who have had this test performed in a doctor' office. Was it performed by a neurologist? What did he do?

Thanks!

Well, my chiropractor has a VNG machine, and he did conduct a VNG test on me, without any adverse effects.

But I'd be interested to hear from others who have had this test performed in a doctor' office. Was it performed by a neurologist? What did he do?

Thanks!
Hopefully, more people will share their experiences here. I'm nervous about this test and how it might affect my tinnitus—anything going into my ears right now freaks me out! The test will be performed by my ENT.

Do you ever experience clogged ears? I've noticed that during periods of high stress and anxiety, my ears tend to feel clogged, and I have to pop them by yawning, similar to what happens when you're on an airplane.

@Lynnette,

Don't worry about the fullness-in-the-ears-feeling. It's a common occurrence among tinnitus sufferers. I had it for about 2 1/2 years, and then it finally just went away, on its own.

It used to drive me crazy, and I would try everything to get my ears to pop. Nothing worked, and it finally went away. I believe it has to do with an imbalance in the Eustachian tubes. When your body habituates to the tinnitus, balance is restored and the pressure feeling stops.

No, not formally. But my chiropractor did work on my balance/dizziness issues. He is a chiropractic neurologist (a chiropractor who is trained on brain functions), and he worked with me on improving my balance. I haven't had any problems with balance for about 6 months now, so it must have worked! He used various eye and hand exercises, in my particular case, to get the correct portion of the brain to "fire" properly.

I'll have to look for one of those in my area. So how long after the onset of T did you have balance and dizziness issues? It all started with me at the same time...dizziness, ear popping crackling, followed by T 5 days later. Severity of the dizziness waxes and wanes but it's always there in the background. It's very frustrating to feel this way all the time. I'm not sure if it has to do with my anxiety or my ears.

I have had a VNG and caloric test with a rotating chair test, total test time of 2 hours to check for vestibular damage. Scheduled for VEMP test tomorrow with a neuro audiologist hoping to identify the cause of T which is only in my left ear and is pulsatile. I have had angiogram of brain to check for vascular cause which was negative so diagnosis of vestibular neuronitis was given but most people with VN do not have T. Hoping it's not Menieres. The caloric test can make you dizzy but the diagnosis is based on the response of nystagmus in the eyes during the ear irrigation. A neuro otologist is the best doctor to diagnose dizziness and possible vestibular damage.

Have had the VNG test several times, as I have had vestibular issues in the past, and one of those time was right after I was diagnosed with tinnitus. They always have been done by an ENT. The post-tinnitus one showed the same results as previous tests; I have some central nervous wiring that makes me vestibularly challenged but no serious issues.

The VNG test is no big deal. It may make you a little woozy briefly but the effect wont last long. If you are worried, set up someone to drive you home.

If you are having ongoing dizziness, I would ask the ENT about vestibular therapy. I know it has worked for many people, including my mother. They basically do some repositioning, like the chiropractor did for Karen, and give you exercises to do on your own.

Yes, Lady Di, that's pretty much the same thing my chiropractor did for me. And it did take time, but eventually it worked. I am not experiencing any major balance issues at this time. I'm glad it worked for your mother, too.

Lynette, if you decide to have this done, please let us know what the outcome was. It might work for you, as well!
And, to answer your question -- yes, my balance issues started at the same time my tinnitus and pulsatile tinnitus ramped up.

Thanks for all the comments. I have an appointment at the end of the month for a VNG and a rotating chair test (just the thought of that makes me dizzy!). I'm not sure what they'll do with the results—if it's an ear issue or a neurological issue, wouldn't both diagnoses lead to vestibular therapy anyway? Is the VNG even worth it, or should I skip straight to the therapy?

My psychiatrist says my dizziness is related to anxiety, but I just don't buy it. I've been experiencing dizziness since my tinnitus started, and it happens even in completely non-stressful or anxiety-free situations. I feel like doctors are too quick to blame everything on anxiety or depression these days!

Thanks for all the comments. I have an appointment at the end of the month for a VNG and a rotating chair test (just the thought of that makes me dizzy!). I'm not sure what they'll do with the results—if it's an ear issue or a neurological issue, wouldn't both diagnoses lead to vestibular therapy anyway? Is the VNG even worth it, or should I skip straight to the therapy?

My psychiatrist says my dizziness is related to anxiety, but I just don't buy it. I've been experiencing dizziness since my tinnitus started, and it happens even in completely non-stressful or anxiety-free situations. I feel like doctors are too quick to blame everything on anxiety or depression these days!
Hi Lynette,

Is your dizziness more like feeling unsteady or imbalanced, or is it more like vertigo, where everything around you seems to be spinning? I went to my doctor on Tuesday and was diagnosed with suspected Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, which could be the cause of my constant dizziness. Could this be something you have as well?

Hi Lynette,

Is your dizziness more like feeling unsteady or imbalanced, or is it more like vertigo, where everything around you seems to be spinning? I went to my doctor on Tuesday and was diagnosed with suspected Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, which could be the cause of my constant dizziness. Could this be something you have as well?
The dizziness I experience feels more like an unsteady imbalance, as if I'm on a ship, and I often find myself veering to the left. I also have a constant dizzy, cloudy feeling in my head, all the time—24/7. What is your doctor having you do for the Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?

The dizziness I experience feels more like an unsteady imbalance, as if I'm on a ship, and I often find myself veering to the left. I also have a constant dizzy, cloudy feeling in my head, all the time—24/7. What is your doctor having you do for the Eustachian Tube Dysfunction?
We're twins, Lynnette—that's exactly how I feel too. My doctor highly suspects that my Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is caused by allergies. I'm taking Claritin 10 mg once a day, and so far, I've noticed a lot of mucus draining down the back of my throat.

Yesterday was a relatively good day in terms of dizziness—I hardly felt it at all. But today is a different story. The thing is, I have really bad anxiety, especially when it comes to health issues, and I've struggled with it for many years. Any health-related concern turns me into a total mess. One doctor even told me that my anxiety and fear are far worse than what I'm actually experiencing health-wise, which is something I'm embarrassed about, and it only adds to my anxiety.

I'm seeing an audiologist on January 17th. I have ringing in my head, but it seems more pronounced in my left ear.

We're twins, Lynnette—that's exactly how I feel too. My doctor highly suspects that my Eustachian Tube Dysfunction is caused by allergies. I'm taking Claritin 10 mg once a day, and so far, I've noticed a lot of mucus draining down the back of my throat.

Yesterday was a relatively good day in terms of dizziness—I hardly felt it at all. But today is a different story. The thing is, I have really bad anxiety, especially when it comes to health issues, and I've struggled with it for many years. Any health-related concern turns me into a total mess. One doctor even told me that my anxiety and fear are far worse than what I'm actually experiencing health-wise, which is something I'm embarrassed about, and it only adds to my anxiety.

I'm seeing an audiologist on January 17th. I have ringing in my head, but it seems more pronounced in my left ear.
Yes, some days are a little better than others. I've been keeping a journal since September to look for patterns, but there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. I also have severe anxiety, and most doctors dismiss my concerns quickly, attributing the dizziness and lightheadedness to anxiety. I can understand that explanation when I'm in stores, certain situations, or when I start obsessing about my health (which is a huge issue for me), but this low-level dizziness is constant, even when I'm at home or doing something that doesn't provoke anxiety.

I started Lexapro about 2.5 months ago for depression, but the dizziness has remained constant, so I can't blame it on the medication. I often experience pain in my right ear, and although I had an MRI of my brain and ears, everything came back normal. I've also seen an audiologist, who found a slight high-frequency hearing loss in both ears, but I never noticed it myself. My tinnitus seems to originate in my brain, but it's more pronounced in my right ear.

Let me know how the Claritin works for you. How long have you been experiencing dizziness? Did it start around the same time as your tinnitus? Mine did—the dizziness started, and the tinnitus followed about a week later.

Let me know how the Claritin works for you. How long have you been experiencing dizziness? Did it start around the same time as your tinnitus? Mine did—the dizziness started, and the tinnitus followed about a week later.
All of this started for me last month, in early December. I began having sharp, stabbing pains in my right ear, so I got it checked out, but everything was normal. Both ears were fine—no redness, nothing unusual. The pain continued off and on for the next two weeks. I went back to get checked again, but everything was still normal. The doctor had me plug my ears tightly and placed a tuning fork on my head to see if I could hear it in one or both ears, and I was able to hear it fine in both.

A few days after Christmas, I started feeling dizzy and unsteady, and I developed a high-pitched ringing or hissing in my left ear. I'm not sure which came first—the ringing or the dizziness. I can't even say for certain if the ringing is new; it might have been there all along. I also have a very low static sound in my head, heard in both ears, but I always assumed that was normal. If I had to guess, I'd say the dizziness came first, followed by the ringing.

I went back to get my ears checked a few days ago, as I mentioned earlier. Looking back at my notes, I've noticed that when I take 0.5 mg of Lorazepam (Ativan) at bedtime, I sleep better that night, and the next day, my dizziness is very mild or completely gone. This relief lasts until around the 24-hour mark from when I took the Lorazepam. For example, if I take it at 11 pm on Tuesday, I'm good until 11 pm on Wednesday. This pattern is consistent in my notes. I still have the ringing, but I haven't tracked whether it's softer or louder.

Here's what I conclude from this:
  1. Lorazepam 0.5 mg seems to last in my system for about 24 hours.
  2. It helps with my dizziness, possibly masking it.
  3. My anxiety might be making my dizziness worse.
  4. I'm still not entirely sure what's going on!
I've been on many antidepressants, including Lexapro, Celexa, Zoloft (which made me manic), Paxil, and Luvox. They all caused too many side effects and made me feel worse. I suffer from mild depression, significant panic/anxiety, and OCD, particularly around my health, as you can tell.

My health-related OCD only became noticeable in the past couple of years, and I find it so difficult to manage.

@ajg, I'm just checking in to see how things are going with your dizziness. Are you still taking Lorazepam nightly?

I have a VNG scheduled in two weeks and hope it will help narrow down the cause of my dizziness, though I'm not sure how specific the results will be.

I completely understand the struggle with health anxiety—it's always something with me, too!

@ajg, I'm just checking in to see how things are going with your dizziness. Are you still taking Lorazepam nightly?

I have a VNG scheduled in two weeks and hope it will help narrow down the cause of my dizziness, though I'm not sure how specific the results will be.

I completely understand the struggle with health anxiety—it's always something with me, too!
My dizziness is gone for now. I'm still taking Claritin every day, and I take Lorazepam maybe once a week—sometimes less, sometimes more, depending on my anxiety level. The 0.5 mg dose of Lorazepam lasts a long time for me, so I try not to take it too often.

I don't sleep well at all; I struggle with insomnia. When I take Lorazepam at bedtime and still don't sleep well, I end up feeling groggy the entire next day. My tinnitus hasn't changed, and I often experience spikes. The loudness remains the same as well.

I posted a few weeks ago about my audiologist visit. She said my hearing is almost perfect, comparable to that of a child. She also agreed with my GP that I have Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, which is why I'm taking Claritin daily to help with the dizziness. I was also checked for tumors, and thankfully, there were none.

Stay away from ECOG, Caloric, Acoustic Reflex, and VEMP tests. They permanently worsened my tinnitus and hyperacusis.

I had the VNG test done and got through it just fine. It caused vertigo for a minute or two, and eye movements were recorded with special goggles during the vertigo episode.

Love, Glynis x

I had the VNG test done and got through it just fine. It caused vertigo for a minute or two, and eye movements were recorded with special goggles during the vertigo episode.

Love, Glynis x
Did you have the VEMP test? It also checks for vestibular issues.

Did you have the VEMP test? It also checks for vestibular issues.
I'm not sure if I had the VEMP test; I did one where I wore glasses, and a red light moved across a wall a few times.

Sorry for the delayed reply. I just needed some time to myself, especially with Mother's Day coming up this weekend. I lost my mom nine months ago, and it's been tough.

Love, Glynis x

I had a VNG test yesterday and was concerned it might worsen my tinnitus. I wanted to share my experience for anyone who might find themselves in the same situation. The part I was most worried about was when they put warm and cold water in your ears, as the leaflet mentioned it could generate loud noise.

Overall, I can say that the test did not affect my tinnitus, and it honestly wasn't that loud or uncomfortable. It's a bit like an ear irrigation but with less pressure. They put warm and cold water in each ear for about 30 seconds, so a total of four times.

I hope this helps anyone who's concerned about the procedure!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now