Warning for People with Noxacusis: For the Love of God, Protect Your Ears!

Discussion in 'Support' started by Brian Newman, Oct 11, 2021.

1. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brian Newman

Brian Newman Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      I might eventually try those CGRP drugs people keep telling me about. I can modulate a couple of my tinnitus tones with my jaw but the other 6 ones I can’t. It doesn’t affect my ear pain though. There’s definitely some horrible damaged nerves in my left ear, the thing just doesn’t want to heal.

• Hug Hug x 1
    2. May86

May86 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Untreated ear infection
      Have you also tried Lutein supplements? Somewhere I heard someone try those or anything else equivalent to Lutein such as eggs.

The days of fighting to find the right dr for my middle ear infection has finally come to an end. I eventually ended up having an anxiety attack last October from a middle ear infection and then the following week, after about 2-3 weeks searching for a doctor to give me antibiotic ear drops, fell out of work due to my fever breaking, which meant my eardrum ruptured.

I found a place that made me earplugs, but I think they cause more damage than protect my ears. So, I'm trying to find earplugs that protect more than 25 dB. They're a clear silicone. I'm considering Loop ones. I don't think I can continue going to the gym and have taken time off work to find a good earplug, but even if earmuffs would be the best option, I can't necessarily work with earmuffs on at my current job. So, trying to find something better as soon as possible.

I'm sorry you've still not have had your breakthrough with your ear concerns. It's so frustrating when you've tried everything under the sun to heal and protect your ears. And people be like, well, why didn't you try and take care of yourself better. It's like, Dude! I tried. The healthcare system is a joke, at least the hospital in my area is for sure. I don't feel like I would've lost my job if the healthcare workers would've been more vigilant in truly helping me get better. I think I found a healthcare facility with a few other healthcare issues to address, fix and heal. But my ear is just as important and I miss sleep.

I hope one day you truly get the breakthrough you deserve. Thank you for being a part of this community. I'll be rooting for you!

3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Thanks. I hope you start feeling better too. This is not fun at all. Try Mack’s Ultra Comfort earplugs, the skin colored ones, they protect way more than Loop earplugs. It depends how bad you are but Loop is OK if you’re a mild case and just need a slight filter. The Mack’s Ultra Comfort earplugs are really good, and when I was wearing them around, nobody knew I was wearing them.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
    4. Travis Henry
      Cynical

Travis Henry Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      1 Moderna Vac, Noise and stress I guess, its killing me
      Damage is damage to ears. We should be told to always protect, all throughout our lives. Thank you for preaching the truth, @Brian Newman.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    5. RunningMan
      Stressed

RunningMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      HiFrq ~2000, Increased 2022, LoFrq ~2020
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise - clubs, stereos, cycles, headphones, engines,etc
      I bought some Mack's earplugs a few months ago but didn't see "Ultra Comfort." I got some "Ultra Soft." I think they will be ok, but they are shorter than the Flenst Quiet Time foam earplugs I have been using for quite a while, so I have to be careful not to push them in too far as they are not as easy to get a hold of to remove as the longer Flents earplugs were. They are both rated -33 dB NRR. The Mack's might be better for biking or breezy weather since it's less likely to be sticking out and catching the wind. I used them for that just two days ago.

• Agree Agree x 1
    6. ZFire
      Pacman

ZFire Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame Advocate

Tinnitus Since:
      2012 (mild) & 04/2021 (severe)
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ototoxicity (2012) Unknown-likely noise induce (2021)
      I use Mack’s Ultra Slim Fits. 31 dB NRR. I really like them. Unfortunately, when it comes to foam earplugs, I can’t tolerate them for more than an hour without experiencing excruciating ear pain. The Slim Fits extend my comfort period before the pain kicks in, though. So that’s a plus

If the earplugs are too deeply inserted, I usually use a pair of tweezers to remove them slowly. Pull your earlobe down and gently grab the base of the foam earplug with the tweezers. I like to pinch the tweezers as I insert them inside my ear canal for better control and safer entry. You could try this if you push them in too far next time.

• Helpful Helpful x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    7. AverageJoe12

AverageJoe12 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2023
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Night club in Feb ‘23, MRI in Feb '24, drummer since age 15
      Have you tried Honeywell's Howard Leight Laser Lite® Earplugs? I find them to be good along with Macks.

• Useful Useful x 1
    8. beefling

beefling Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2021
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise exposure most likely
      @Brian Newman, I haven't seen you post in a while, so I'm checking in to see how you're doing, my guy. I hope you're still fighting the good fight. Hang tough.

• Like Like x 2
    9. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      Brian Newman

Tinnitus Since:
      12/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Shooting/loud noise
      Hey, same as usual, hanging in there, I’m still around. I don’t go to forums much; I keep distracted by Xbox all day.

• Like Like x 4
    10. tiniturk
      No Mood

tiniturk Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      11/2022
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Good to hear, man :) What have you been playing?

11. Zigs

Zigs Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Ear infection
      Have you had any improvements at all? Or any learnings you could share? You’re one of the most knowledgeable people here about ear pain!