Water in the Middle Ear After Neti Pot; Louder Tinnitus

The doctor looked into my ear with his little hammer and said there was fluid there, the ear drum was bulging a little and it was a little red in there.

So now I hope the T goes down again when the fluid drains. Been chewing gum for hours now.

Although all logic this time says it will go away, I can't help but being really anxious and just wanting to lock my self in the bathroom and get in the tub with the water tap on, which I usually do to "escape" while playing chess on my phone. But I'm invited to parties today and tomorrow (popular yeeey), and I really want to meet people, but at the same time, I get so scared in a weird lonely way when I'm at parties and start worring about my ears.

To calm down in this setting I usually open the taptatalk app and read the am101 thread or something, to calm down.

Erlend,

You are going to be fine.. I was in your position not too long ago and sometimes all night googling makes things worse. What helped me it getting a behind the ear amplifier from Amazon for like $80.00. It takes the edge off and adds sound to dull the ringing intensity. Stress makes it worse.. I was at a point that if it did not resolve in 7 weeks that I would have tubes in my ears. On week 6 it opened up.. Enjoy life and know this condition is temporary.. Like I said, it is a marathon, ears take a long time to recover.

@Amelia
Hi Amelia,
my name is Marta and I am writing in behalf of my sister who used netipot to clean her nasal canal and ended up with a loud tinnitus inside her ear.
It's been more that a week and hasn't gone away and her head is about to explode.
She went to the doctor and he said that nothing could be done and that it could stay forever.
I wanted to ask you if you still have yours, o if you have done something special to end it.
She is very desperate and doesn't know what to do as she has some other health issues bothering and that has been just too much for her.
Thanks in advance for your answer!
Marta.

Hi im in the middle of the worse flare up which all started with congestion and was getting a bit better and washed out my sinuses and now my T is through the roof ! When it 1st started if i popped my ears it squeaked , but was using nasal spray from doctor and it was getting ok ish but today after using a neti pot its through the roof !!! Please tell me this will die down , thanks

@AlisonS ..I haven't used the Neti Pot but I have used the NeilMed rinse which is what Amelia had used. Anyway, there's a "Warning" that comes with the NeilMed instructions that states: "DO NOT USE IF NASAL PASSAGE IS COMPLETELY BLOCKED OR IF YOU HAVE AN EAR INFECTION OR BLOCKED EARS."

You stated that the flare up all started with congestion. Perhaps the instructions for using a Neti Pot rinse are the same and you shouldn't do the rinse under those circumstances. It might be a good idea to read the "Warning" section again.

Being that this just happened today, I think that it will most likely subside.

Hi

Well in still in a spike I know its mostly me worrying about it , can spikes last this long ? Cant believe 7 weeks ago my T was un noticeable now its like this x

I used a neti pot yeasterday with a saline solition to clear my sinuses, hoping that the T would lower. This usually helps. But yesterday I blew to hard and got wanter up into my left middle ear. If i try to pinch my nose i just hurts akd seems like I push the water back into the ear, but nothing comed out.

Tge tinnitus is now much louder on the left ear and I'm really scared.

My sinuses feel really stuffy, maybe when I get rid of this "cold", the eustachian tube will widen and the water come out?

What should I do?
Don't use Netipot. It can cause T.

A standard Neti pot has no pressure, the water just "tinkles" out and into the nose, unlikely you can do harm with it.
I also used the Neilmed Squeeze bottle (respective made one myself), this is different since the water is pressured and can then enter the ET and likely the inner ear.

And YES, I got T. in my left year from exactly this and I have it for three years now. BECAUSE of a sinus rinse where I got water in my ears.

A standard Neti pot has no pressure, the water just "tinkles" out and into the nose, unlikely you can do harm with it.
I also used the Neilmed Squeeze bottle (respective made one myself), this is different since the water is pressured and can then enter the ET and likely the inner ear.

And YES, I got T. in my left year from exactly this and I have it for three years now. BECAUSE of a sinus rinse where I got water in my ears.

I got T from sudden hearing loss. I've had bad sinusitis and tried netipot to alleviate it and to see if it would address my allergies somewhat. It Immediately spiked my T. I hope it's temporary. I guess my left nostril was clogged because the water mainly ran down that same nostril. I read some of the other experiences of netipot users getting T but figured it wouldn't affect me because i don't think i have ETD. It is super loud now. I hope it subsides. It's been 16 months and i had begun habituating reasonably well. It is maddening how poorly designed our hearing system is and how sensitive it is to minor insults. Thank you everyone else for sharing. I wanted to try something different to relieve my sickness and allergies after refusing decongestant and nasal steroids for years!!! This nasal flush sounded absurd to me. I think it's dangerous for T sufferers.

@Amelia

Dear Amelia. I also have mild tinnitus in my right ear from using a Netipot incorrectly. Water went into my eustachian tube from tilting my head. There is only a small amount of water confirmed by the ENT. I have tried the Otovent balloon for three months and the ear popper machine and yawning/cracking of jaw and ear massages but still some water remains. What would be the best solution forward?

The ENT prescribed me Fluticasone which is the last resort that as I know the side effects can be glaucoma and immune dysfunction. I doubt Beconase Hay fever nasal spray (beclometasone dipropionate) will do the trick. Is my only option to get temporary ear grommets? Jumping to conclusions but what if the ear grommets don't work which I've heard sometimes are ineffective as well as nasal sprays so then what would I be left to do? I really don't want to to take decongestants.

Thank so much.

@jamessd

James,

I hope you're doing well. I saw your post and wanted to reach out and see how you're doing. I used a Sinus Rinse several days ago and have had ringing in my ears ever since. It's a non issue when there is any external sound but silence is terrible.

Has your problem persisted? You seem to be the only one still active on this thread. Thanks again for any insight. All the best to you.

Lindsay

What should I do?
You may want to consider the following testimonial from THIS SITE -- Note: Citronella Oil is cheap.

"I folded a handkerchief into a 1 and a half inches width and poured a few drops of Citronella Essential Oil on it. I laid down on my bed and placed the handkerchief over my nose in contact with the oil. I breathed in and out through the handkerchief for half an hour. I felt the sting of the Citronella fumes in my sinuses, so I controlled my inhaling to prevent too much pain. But other than that there was no harm experienced by me by inhaling this oil.

Anyway, after half hour of such inhalation, I experienced a discharge of watery mucus from my nostrils like having a cold. I sensed something good about it. I cleared my nose. After that my tinnitus of 2 years was gone for good! Imagine after despairing for so long and searching here and there on the Internet for a cure, I bumped into one myself. And this happened like 10 months ago and the tinnitus has never returned. I am completely cured.

@ljhoward

Hi lindsey, No, I haven't had any improvement. It's a case whereby I have to live with it or get grommets inserted. There are risks with grommets also.

It's strange because I have a very small amount of water trapped in there. When I used the Otovent balloon and EarPopper machine some of the water drained but there is still some left. I have no idea where the small amount of water is trapped and why it wont drain. Maybe Eustachian tube dysfunction?

@Amelia @jamessd @Martha

I too used a NeilMed about 7 weeks ago and got intense amount of pressure in my ears and they felt full followed by tinnitus.

It still feels like there is water in there because my ears pop pretty easily.

I'm pretty sad and feel like I just have to surrender to the new normal.

Maybe there is a case we can make against NeilMed? This is pretty messed up.

How is flying with this? Concerned about potential air pressure.

The doctor looked into my ear with his little hammer and said there was fluid there, the ear drum was bulging a little and it was a little red in there.

So now I hope the T goes down again when the fluid drains. Been chewing gum for hours now.

Although all logic this time says it will go away, I can't help but being really anxious and just wanting to lock my self in the bathroom and get in the tub with the water tap on, which I usually do to "escape" while playing chess on my phone. But I'm invited to parties today and tomorrow (popular yeeey), and I really want to meet people, but at the same time, I get so scared in a weird lonely way when I'm at parties and start worring about my ears.

To calm down in this setting I usually open the taptatalk app and read the am101 thread or something, to calm down.

An old swimmer's method for removing water from your ears is a few drops of isopropyl alcohol. It drains all the liquid out of your ear immediately. Maybe this would help you?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now