What’s The Longest Time Habituation Can Take?

Poseidon65

Author
Benefactor
Mar 11, 2020
Tinnitus Since
1/2020
Cause of Tinnitus
A loud live music show
Hi folks,

I've read about people habituating to tinnitus over different time frames. 1 year, 1.5 years, 2 years, etc.

Is there some upper limit past which, if I haven't habituated by then, then I'm very unlikely to ever habituate? Like if it's been 5 years and I'm nowhere near habituated by then, is there little hope of habituating from there on out?

Maybe a related question, what's the longest period you've ever heard it taking for someone to habituate?

Nature seems to act slowly with some people, but most habituate within a year or two. There is a general guide, which makes no mention of time frames, for the stages of it. You are probably in stage two. Eighteen months seems to be about average, to start not noticing it most of the time. Other factors could come into play, and everybody is different.

Here's the info about the four stages, from the ATA. Many people never make it to total habituation, but this matters little, as it's more of a slight annoyance at times than an actual problem.

stages-of-habituation-tinnitus.png

I'm relatively new to this terminology as I developed reactive tinnitus, hyperacusis & some lower sound tolerance last November.

However, I have read anecdotal claims that people have habituated after 5 years. There was a TRT or Neuromonics study (I can't recall off top of my head at the moment) which claimed a certain group of people who hadn't habituated after a number of years because they didn't try TRT or any similar type of treatment actually did habituate after going through their program. I would assume the worse one's tinnitus is, the longer it would take to habituate, if ever.

But then again in 5 years from now there may be a very good treatment for tinnitus. One can only hope.

Maybe a related question, what's the longest period you've ever heard it taking for someone to habituate?
Depends on severity of tinnitus and / or hyperacusis.

I am not sure if we can talk about habituation or about changes in hearing, which would be different...

Nature seems to act slowly with some people, but most habituate within a year or two. There is a general guide, which makes no mention of time frames, for the stages of it. You are probably in stage two. Eighteen months seems to be about average, to start not noticing it most of the time. Other factors could come into play, and everybody is different.

Here's the info about the four stages, from the ATA. Many people never make it to total habituation, but this matters little, as it's more of a slight annoyance at times than an actual problem.

View attachment 45384
What if you're using BTE sound generators for most of the day to mask the sounds and then taking Benzos, or ADs or other sleep aids at night to sleep? Does this delay or prevent habituation? Maybe those 4 stages are specific for people who have tinnitus but don't require any of the above treatments to get through the day.

And also, in my case I have reactive tinnitus plus some form of hyperacusis and low/mild sound tolerance. I've had this now since November 2020 and started sound treatment, BTE pink noise, since January 2021. And when I take them off at night or during the day nothing seems different from the onset of it except my reaction to it is more tolerated from using them during the day & taking medications to help me sleep. Otherwise it's still far too loud to get any sleep without the use of medications & other natural sleep aids.

I don't however use sound at night. I can only tolerate about 6-8 hours of the sound generators during the day.

What if you're using BTE sound generators for most of the day to mask the sounds and then taking Benzos, or ADs or other sleep aids at night to sleep? Does this delay or prevent habituation? Maybe those 4 stages are specific for people who have tinnitus but don't require any of the above treatments to get through the day.

And also, in my case I have reactive tinnitus plus some form of hyperacusis and low/mild sound tolerance. I've had this now since November 2020 and started sound treatment, BTE pink noise, since January 2021. And when I take them off at night or during the day nothing seems different from the onset of it except my reaction to it is more tolerated from using them during the day & taking medications to help me sleep. Otherwise it's still far too loud to get any sleep without the use of medications & other natural sleep aids.

I don't however use sound at night. I can only tolerate about 6-8 hours of the sound generators during the day.
I thought SSRIs delay habituation?

I can only speak from my own experience. The first year was hell for me, with all kinds of problems and I had a very difficult time coming off benzos, which I took a few times a week, for a few months. The odds are that you will habituate. There have been many cases just as bad as yours, or worse, and most all eventually felt better and no longer post here. The brain learns to block it, for the vast majority of people.

I thought SSRIs delay habituation?
I know Dr. Pawel Jastreboff is on a YouTube video saying benzos prevent habituation, at least with his experience with TRT.

However, I don't believe he has proven this with any scientific evidence, just his clinical 'experience,' or so he says.

Not sure about SSRIs. I question his hypothesis because how does he know it's the benzos that are to blame and not the severity of the tinnitus these individuals have? How can he differentiate that? It would be impossible.

So it works in his favor to dismiss the serious cases by blaming it on benzos or other things he lists such as going through a lawsuit, or whatever else he blamed for those that didn't have success with TRT. It's really a blaming the victim mentality.

When I first got tinnitus it took me well over a year to habituate. The first permanent spike I got it took about 1-2 months. The second permanent spike, about 2-3 weeks. You see where I'm going with this. Each time it's gotten easier for me and I've been less freaked out about the changes to my tinnitus.

I have significant reactive tinnitus and hyperacusis. At times my tinnitus is quite loud because it is reactive to environmental noise. It's been 2 1/2 years now. I'm not sure what real habituation is, but I can say that I deal with it better now than before. In certain situations I can go for long periods, 1-2 hours, where I really don't pay much attention to it. It's always there of course, but it doesn't make me upset like it did before. Mine is quite loud, so I expect it will still be a few years before I can go an entire day without it bothering me.

Habituation to the point where I don't really hear it anymore? Uh... very doubtful. I'm just looking for that place where it doesn't have a constant negative impact on my daily living. Hoping that 1-2 hours becomes 6-8 hours.

It is my personal opinion that there is no upper limit. You could be doing the wrong things for years that prevent you from habituating. Once you start doing the right things you may achieve habituation. I think you can learn a lot about the right things to do, by reading the habituation success stories.

Also from the stories I have read on this forum, I suspect that how much the tinnitus affects you emotionally is a big factor in slowing down habituation. I have read stories of people that started with a loud tinnitus but were not so much emotionally impacted and they quickly habituated.

Eighteen months seems to be about average, to start not noticing it most of the time.
As far as you know, after what time can a person usually gradually start ignoring the noise?

What time at the earliest or the latest?

I have suffered from tinnitus for six months and still struggle with trouble sleeping, anxiety attacks, feelings of depression, and the inability to go to work. I would say that I'm not fully in the second stage of habituation yet, where I can block out the noise for some time. However, I do notice that there are more days where the noise bothers me less or seems quieter.

After reading your post, I feel hopeful that there's a good chance my brain will eventually learn to block out the noise too. Even if it doesn't happen right away or within the first year, it might happen a little later.

As far as you know, after what time can a person usually gradually start ignoring the noise?

What time at the earliest or the latest?

I have suffered from tinnitus for six months and still struggle with trouble sleeping, anxiety attacks, feelings of depression, and the inability to go to work. I would say that I'm not fully in the second stage of habituation yet, where I can block out the noise for some time. However, I do notice that there are more days where the noise bothers me less or seems quieter.

After reading your post, I feel hopeful that there's a good chance my brain will eventually learn to block out the noise too Even if it doesn't happen right away or within the first year, it might happen a little later.
It's tough to establish a general timeline for tinnitus symptoms since everyone is different. Two-thirds of people who develop tinnitus do not experience significant problems, even in the beginning. For those with tinnitus distress who seek psychological and sound therapy, it is usually recommended to wait six months.

For some, the primitive part of the brain interprets the sounds as a threat, even though we "know" they are not. This can lead to anxiety and depression. These feelings cannot be resolved by logic alone, but certain methods can help us cope and make progress.

Over time, the days when the noise bothers you less will increase until eventually, the problem is resolved. You have every reason to be hopeful, as 95% of people with tinnitus distress habituate and go on to lead normal lives. In the meantime, I would recommend exploring ways to respond to, rather than react to, tinnitus. This can shorten the habituation process and provide much-needed relief.

It's tough to establish a general timeline for tinnitus symptoms since everyone is different. Two-thirds of people who develop tinnitus do not experience significant problems, even in the beginning. For those with tinnitus distress who seek psychological and sound therapy, it is usually recommended to wait six months.

For some, the primitive part of the brain interprets the sounds as a threat, even though we "know" they are not. This can lead to anxiety and depression. These feelings cannot be resolved by logic alone, but certain methods can help us cope and make progress.

Over time, the days when the noise bothers you less will increase until. Eventually, the problem is resolved. You have every reason to be hopeful, as 95% of people with tinnitus distress habituate and go on to lead normal lives. In the meantime, I would recommend exploring ways to respond to, rather than react to, tinnitus. This can shorten the habituation process and provide much-needed relief.
Thank you for your response, the information provided, and your words of encouragement! How I wish I belonged to the two-thirds group of people who don't experience tinnitus distress from the start. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me, so all that remains is the path of habituation.

I know people with tinnitus who suffered little or not at all from the beginning, as well as those who struggled in the first few months or even the first two years but eventually achieved widespread habituation. I hope this will apply to me one day as well, even though I'm still suffering a lot from it at the moment and am very concerned about the topic of tinnitus.

You're right—it would be much better to respond to the tinnitus thoughtfully rather than react emotionally to it in order to shorten the habituation process. However, that's very difficult for me at the moment, and most of the time, I struggle to do it.

Thank you for your response, the information provided, and your words of encouragement! How I wish I belonged to the two-thirds group of people who don't experience tinnitus distress from the start. Unfortunately, that's not the case for me, so all that remains is the path of habituation.

I know people with tinnitus who suffered little or not at all from the beginning, as well as those who struggled in the first few months or even the first two years but eventually achieved widespread habituation. I hope this will apply to me one day as well, even though I'm still suffering a lot from it at the moment and am very concerned about the topic of tinnitus.

You're right—it would be much better to respond to the tinnitus thoughtfully rather than react emotionally to it to shorten the habituation process. However, that's very difficult for me at the moment, and most of the time, I struggle to do it.
The "Back to Silence" video is worth checking out; it was one of the ways I used to help habituate successfully.

Back to Silence

Comments often suggest that you get tinnitus, get used to it, and eventually habituate. This might be true for mild to moderate cases. However, it can also go in the opposite direction, as it has for me. I was habituated from the beginning, with my tinnitus starting about 25 years ago. It was mild at first, and I wasn't bothered by it for many years as it gradually worsened.

As my tinnitus slowly worsened over the years to a more moderate level, I became less habituated. It became more noticeable in quiet settings, especially when trying to sleep (it was no longer masked by a fan). It would also capture my attention more during activities like watching TV. However, when it suddenly became severe in February 2022, I became completely dishabituated. Now, over 2 1/2 years later, it hasn't improved because the tinnitus intensity has only worsened, despite protecting myself from loud exposure. So, it's crucial to protect your hearing before your tinnitus becomes severe.

Some medications that are supposed to help can actually set you back and leave you in a worse condition than you started. For example, two months on SSRIs a year ago left me with over eight months of stomach discomfort and pain, which was sometimes debilitating and added to my anxiety. I'm still suffering from that. There are also nightmare stories on here about benzodiazepines and other antidepressants like Mirtazapine, which can sometimes make tinnitus worse. It's best to avoid these medications if you can manage without them.

The "Back to Silence" video is worth checking out; it was one of the ways I used to help habituate successfully.

Back to Silence
Thank you so much @Luman for your support! If I understand the method correctly, the key is not to always measure the loudness of my tinnitus, but to describe my reaction to it and allow all feelings about it, including negative ones?

If you don't mind me asking another question: You suffered a lot from your tinnitus during the first year, but then managed to habituate in the second year? So, is it worth persevering, even though it's difficult? I'm in a very dark place right now.

Comments often suggest that you get tinnitus, get used to it, and eventually habituate. This might be true for mild to moderate cases. However, it can also go in the opposite direction, as it has for me. I was habituated from the beginning, with my tinnitus starting about 25 years ago. It was mild at first, and I wasn't bothered by it for many years as it gradually worsened.

As my tinnitus slowly worsened over the years to a more moderate level, I became less habituated. It became more noticeable in quiet settings, especially when trying to sleep (it was no longer masked by a fan). It would also capture my attention more during activities like watching TV. However, when it suddenly became severe in February 2022, I became completely dishabituated. Now, over 2 1/2 years later, it hasn't improved because the tinnitus intensity has only worsened, despite protecting myself from loud exposure. So, it's crucial to protect your hearing before your tinnitus becomes severe.

Some medications that are supposed to help can actually set you back and leave you in a worse condition than you started. For example, two months on SSRIs a year ago left me with over eight months of stomach discomfort and pain, which was sometimes debilitating and added to my anxiety. I'm still suffering from that. There are also nightmare stories on here about benzodiazepines and other antidepressants like Mirtazapine, which can sometimes make tinnitus worse. It's best to avoid these medications if you can manage without them.
Thank you for your response, even though the unpleasant developments you described scare me even more. Despite everything, I hope you'll feel better soon and that maybe you'll be able to habituate again.

The issue with medication is also challenging. I take a small dose of mirtazapine to help me sleep, but sometimes I feel so bad that the doctors suggest increasing the dose or trying different antidepressants. Then, I read here that it's best to avoid them because they can make tinnitus worse. What should I do in that situation? Who should I listen to?

Thank you so much @Luman for your support! If I understand the method correctly, the key is not to always measure the loudness of my tinnitus, but to describe my reaction to it and allow all feelings about it, including negative ones?

If you don't mind me asking another question: You suffered a lot from your tinnitus during the first year, but then managed to habituate in the second year? So, is it worth persevering, even though it's difficult? I'm in a very dark place right now.
Yes, the idea is to describe your reaction to yourself without analyzing or measuring anything.

There is no choice but to persevere, nor is there any doubt that you'll feel better as habituation takes over.

I went to a doctor of psychology who has tinnitus and works with tinnitus patients by using Cognitive Behavior Therapy. You can find books on the general subject of CBT in a public library. I also went to an ENT ear/brain surgeon who got tinnitus. He tried everything to cure tinnitus, yet nothing worked but time and habituation.

You'll be fine. It's annoying as hell for a while, but it gets easier little by little. I was 80% better after a year, and what discomfort remained was very manageable, and this eventually disappeared.

Yes, the idea is to describe your reaction to yourself without analyzing or measuring anything.

There is no choice but to persevere, nor is there any doubt that you'll feel better as habituation takes over.

I went to a doctor of psychology who has tinnitus and works with tinnitus patients by using Cognitive Behavior Therapy. You can find books on the general subject of CBT in a public library. I also went to an ENT ear/brain surgeon who got tinnitus. He tried everything to cure tinnitus, yet nothing worked but time and habituation.

You'll be fine. It's annoying as hell for a while, but it gets easier little by little. I was 80% better after a year, and what discomfort remained was very manageable, and this eventually disappeared.
Yes, but the question is, when will habituation finally start to truly take over? I can't say I haven't made any progress over the past six months, but the ringing in my ears still bothers me most of the time, making me feel depressed and anxious.

However, as I've often read, habituation isn't linear or always moving forward. Sometimes it's three steps forward and two steps back, and occasionally even three steps back.

Still, thank you very much for the answers and information you've provided—it's really encouraging and lifts my spirits a bit.

Yes, but the question is, when will habituation finally start to truly take over? I can't say I haven't made any progress over the past six months, but the ringing in my ears still bothers me most of the time, making me feel depressed and anxious.

However, as I've often read, habituation isn't linear or always moving forward. Sometimes it's three steps forward and two steps back, and occasionally even three steps back.

Still, thank you very much for the answers and information you've provided—it's really encouraging and lifts my spirits a bit.
I think that there's a slight misunderstanding about this. Habituation and progress for tinnitus distress do not usually start until after, not during, the first six months of tinnitus. It takes time, but it will happen.

You are doing very well psychologically because you are willing to ask questions and allow for the possibility that your situation will likely improve. I know that the chances are very high you will feel better and eventually recover because I was in the same boat some years ago. Back then, I would have gone to the ends of the earth and entered into permanent debt if there was a scientific cure available. Today, I do not even think about cures for myself, as the condition is not even bothersome enough to care about.

I think that there's a slight misunderstanding about this. Habituation and progress for tinnitus distress do not usually start until after, not during, the first six months of tinnitus. It takes time, but it will happen.
Wow, that gives my confidence another huge boost! If things usually only start to get better after the first six months, then I can hopefully expect improvements step by step over the next few weeks or months. And as you can see from the "hopefully," I always have doubts because I'm still feeling so bad. But as you say, it takes time, and it will happen!

Regarding seeking help, I can also say that I am in contact with a German tinnitus counselor (and former tinnitus sufferer) as well as a counselor from the Tinnitus Association Victoria—they are really great there, too. However, in my darkest hours, I occasionally "have to" reach out to other (former) tinnitus sufferers on Tinnitus Talk to ask questions. As I mentioned, I'm really grateful for your expertise, advice, and encouragement!

Comments often suggest that you get tinnitus, get used to it, and eventually habituate. This might be true for mild to moderate cases. However, it can also go in the opposite direction, as it has for me.
I am very sorry for your situation, and I do empathize with you. However, I need to mention that every time I read your comments, they are ALWAYS negative. Each time, it makes me feel more anxious, to the point where I even tried to block your profile to avoid seeing them, but I couldn't figure out how.

Again, this is nothing personal, and I genuinely hope you feel better soon, or that the Shore device brings you relief as soon as it becomes available. However, please consider rethinking the constant negativity in your comments. Many people here are looking for support and encouragement.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way.

Hello @Luman and @Furetto,

I have a specific question about helpful measures for habituation, which both of you have already achieved, even though @Furetto, unfortunately, experienced a setback. However, I know from your thread, "From Tinnitus Success Story to Square One After Playing Drums," that you're hopeful and on the right track.

I also read that very quiet white noise is enough to mask your tinnitus. It's similar for me—extremely quiet, cricket-like noises are enough to completely mask the ringing in my ears. According to sound therapy principles, though, you shouldn't completely cover up your tinnitus in order to promote habituation.

For me, after trying for a long time, it either works completely or not at all. Without masking, I often quickly become irritated by the noise in my ears. The masking helps me calm my mind, but does habituation still take place under these conditions?

What experiences have you had in this regard? What advice would you give me regarding sound enrichment or masking?

I have a similar story to yours. My tinnitus is now severe. Habituation is not a simple process for some of us, especially for those whose tinnitus has worsened over the years for various reasons.

I am very sorry for your situation, and I do empathize with you. However, I need to mention that every time I read your comments, they are ALWAYS negative. Each time, it makes me feel more anxious, to the point where I even tried to block your profile to avoid seeing them, but I couldn't figure out how.

Again, this is nothing personal, and I genuinely hope you feel better soon, or that the Shore device brings you relief as soon as it becomes available. However, please consider rethinking the constant negativity in your comments. Many people here are looking for support and encouragement.

I hope you don't take this the wrong way.
I feel the same way as you.

For me, after trying for a long time, it either works completely or not at all. Without masking, I often quickly become irritated by the noise in my ears. The masking helps me calm my mind, but does habituation still take place under these conditions?

What experiences have you had in this regard? What advice would you give me regarding sound enrichment or masking?
Hello, I'm not sure either, and I have the same questions as you. I think it's best to use sound masking only when we're really bothered by the tinnitus, and keep the volume very low. I assume your tinnitus is mild to moderate, like mine?

The first time I had tinnitus, I think it was a bit less intrusive than it is now. I do remember a few instances when I could hear it over traffic and the radio in the car or over the TV at home, but I don't have a clear memory of how it was or how it eventually faded. It's strange, honestly—how could I forget something like that?

Apparently, the process is so slow and gradual that you don't even notice it. Then one day, you realize, "Wait, I don't hear it anymore… but I also don't care." If I look back at my old posts, I know it started around New Year's. I had it for two months, then it disappeared. It came back in July, and I remember talking about it in November with my then-girlfriend. After that, I don't recall suffering from it anymore. Strange.

I'm surprised you call that negative just because I shared the actual facts of my experience of long-term tinnitus along with advising protecting hearing and avoiding medication if you can get by without it. There are many far more alarming posts on here and people in worse condition than I am. I don't call them negative for being so unfortunate.
I also read that very quiet white noise is enough to mask your tinnitus. It's similar for me—extremely quiet, cricket-like noises are enough to completely mask the ringing in my ears. According to sound therapy principles, though, you shouldn't completely cover up your tinnitus in order to promote habituation.
This is a good sign if you can mask your tinnitus with very quiet white noise. That doesn't begin to mask my tinnitus. So this tells me you have a better chance to habituate. There is no magic 6 months formula or time period. It can happen in months, years, or never. But with mild tinnitus, the odds are in your favor.
I have a similar story to yours. My tinnitus is now severe. Habituation is not a simple process for some of us, especially for those whose tinnitus has worsened over the years for various reasons.
Thanks for sharing. Maybe there will be something to help us in a few years.

This is a good sign if you can mask your tinnitus with very quiet white noise. That doesn't begin to mask my tinnitus. So this tells me you have a better chance to habituate.
Thank you for your reply; I think this is good news for @Furetto and me!
There is no magic 6 months formula or time period. It can happen in months, years, or never.
That's not so good or encouraging. The information from @Luman that you are probably referring to...
...gave me so much hope and encouragement! If I'm being honest, hardly any success story has lifted my spirits like @Luman's.
Hello, I'm not sure either, and I have the same questions as you. I think it's best to use sound masking only when we're really bothered by the tinnitus, and keep the volume very low. I assume your tinnitus is mild to moderate, like mine?
Thank you for your reply, @Furetto. I don't know how loud the ringing in your ears is, and it's probably difficult or impossible to compare. I would say that my tinnitus is comparatively quiet but very high-pitched. But on bad days (and I still have a lot of them), it is very intrusive and extremely annoying, and I can hear it over everything, in conversations, sitting outside, listening to music, watching TV—on bad days, I can only drown it out or mask it with artificial noises.

But I feel similar to you: I want to wean myself off masking because avoidance perpetuates the fear of the ringing in the ear and the meaning one attaches to it. But sometimes, on particularly bad days, I can't do that. Otherwise, I'll go crazy, and then I'll mask the noise as long as I need to!

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now