What a Bummer

Discussion in 'Support' started by fishbone, Oct 6, 2017.

1. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      Hi folks,

I decided to go to a networking event tonight and it started really good. I had my db meter and it was not loud, then we started doing group exercises and had to talk louder because the host was using a microphone and his level was at 93-96 db.

I knew right away , that I had to leave and could not continue with the workshop. It really bummed me out that I couldn't stay, but my ears are priority number one for me. I push the limits with my tinnitus and ears ring super loud 24 7, but I could not sit in a seat and listen to 95 dbs pounding my ears...

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 1
    2. Philippe79

Philippe79 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I’m like this now.. If I’m around any loud noise (anything that appears to be 85db or over) and I haven’t got my ear plugs, I start to panic. I’ve got to get away. People don’t understand it at all and think I’m a freak. What a life.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      I was at an educational conference. I barely could hear what was being said, wearing ear plugs would have not helped me in that environment. I never wear plugs, unless i am a concert or a sporting event...

I really wanted to stay, but at 96 db, it was too loud and people were shouting louder and my tinnitus was being affected. I don't give a hoot what someone thinks about me, when I am the one that has the ear issue and NOT them.

I made a post called "stand your ground". it's quite informative :)

4. Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      I wouldn’t go anywhere that noisy without earplugs. But I’m only talking about myself personally, there is no right and wrong as it is down to the individual and I wouldn’t try and say otherwise. I know you can over protect your ears (which I was doing in the early stages) but in 96db’s of noise, I don’t believe you are overprotecting. Everyone has different attitudes towards it. Anyway, 96db is apparently as loud as a drill and can cause hearing damage in 15mins!! Each to there own.

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. AUTHOR
      AUTHOR
      fishbone
      Shitfaced

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      100% agreed. If I knew that environment was going to be 90+ db, i would have had ear plugs, but i figured it was an educational setting, and it was not going to be that loud. 96 db is serious and protection must be applied at all times..

6. Philippe79

Tinnitus Since:
      June / 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      H.F.H.L.
      Obviously, we only started doing this (wearing earplugs) once we got tinnitus! I found out the hard way. For some reason the fear of hearing loss on it’s own never bothered me too much, I wasn’t too familiar with tinnitus and the link between the two. I blame it on lack of education! Now I try and educate other people, though a little too much at times. It should be common sense!

• Agree Agree x 1
    7. valeri

valeri Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2011
      My husband and daughter went to a wedding last weekend and while years ago something like this would have plunged me into deep depression now I learnt to accept that my ears are number one priority too!

It sure bothers me that my life has changed in many ways but I no longer have problem saying no to anything that could potentially make me worse.

• Agree Agree x 1