What About Tinnitus Scares You?

I've had tinnitus quite bad for 4 months now. I could accept it being present during the day time, it's like living in a world with speakers everywhere playing an annoying tune, not pleasant but liveable.
The two big fears I have are:

1. Not sleeping. And trust me, this is a volume issue. I can get drunk to the point I'm relaxed but the volume still stops me sleeping. Without proper sleep everything is a struggle.

2. Uncertainty over whether it's going to get worse. A month ago it definitely got worse and did not improve again.

I've had tinnitus quite bad for 4 months now. I could accept it being present during the day time, it's like living in a world with speakers everywhere playing an annoying tune, not pleasant but liveable.
The two big fears I have are:

1. Not sleeping. And trust me, this is a volume issue. I can get drunk to the point I'm relaxed but the volume still stops me sleeping. Without proper sleep everything is a struggle.

2. Uncertainty over whether it's going to get worse. A month ago it definitely got worse and did not improve again.

Same here, we have about the same onset date too, but sometimes I wish I could just forget about it during the day. It sets me on edge (especially considering how it happened) and makes it harder to think.

Some days I think it's annoying but livable, others it's torture every waking moment.

My BIGGEST fear of T AND H is basically, I will one day snap and say f it and kill myself. I mean I think that's everyones? maybe not.. But it's mine.

could even be less one shot and done and slow by drugs or alcohol.. Like who knows..this life is for the birds! At least their hair cells regenerate!

I hate to say this but you probably need to quit making music

This is what scares me. I'm a singer, chairman of a musical society. I don't want to give up but have already had to make serious changes.
I don't want to be told it's Menieres either. That, apparently, could stop me driving and I need to drive for work.

Having said that a diagnosis would calm the fears. If I know what it is, I can face it and work with it.

My biggest fears concerning T:
- progessive worsening through 'normal' sound exposure: traffic and city noise etc.
- developing severe h after a new trauma
- social isolation because of T, not finding an understanding partner
- meds, had a very bad spike after amoxillin, which supposedly is non ototoxic

Sorry, you are stuck with my picture, I am older (66) not technically intelligent. For me I didn't have a clue what tinnitus until I was 50. It was summer and I thought, "that's odd, the heat just came on." It was not until I put my hands over my ears that I realized the sound was coming from my own ears. For the musician that shared - I only discovered what it was when an older gentleman, who was a musician, told me he had tinnitus. By the way he is still playing music. He got a hearing aid. He seemed amused that his tinnitus played two different notes in his ears. For me it is just hissing so loud it gives me headaches (I guess I am not as positive as him.) It is aggravating and sometimes painful. I worry about my age and what is to come. I hope I don't go crazy or get alzthimers like my mother and grandmother and that this made be the start of it. I hate getting aggravated, my job depends on me being even tempered with others. T is very annoying and right now it is so loud I can hardly type this.

I would like to know if I'm on the same page as most people here with tinnitus....Or if maybe I have a different way of processing all of this.

Please let me know your thoughts
My fear is developing more T. pitches - especially anything that would be in a much lower Hz range. Being a musician, I think it would make it very hard to continue to play music with a constant pitch being heard that lies within the frequency range of what I am playing. With my current T. pitch of around 8kHz, it's not a big deal since virtually everything I play falls within a much lower range - excluding, of course, harmonic partials that fall around or above my T. pitch. My audiologist tells me I don't hear much above 8k anyway!

Anyway, to offer some encouragement, I came across this...there are some big-time musicians among this group who have continued to make music.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_people_with_tinnitus

Tinnitus causes me fear /anxiety in these areas:

Not being able to sleep so that I can not function or be able to work and support my family.
As I get older and lose hearing it will continue ot worsen.
Fear of loud noises and going to unknown situations.

And it just makes me on edge, not being able to relax.

My no.1 fear is it getting worse because I don't want to suffer more than I do.
But me getting slightly better dealing with my variable T and more consistent H is...acceptance, letting go and I will be OK.

Lots of things. Not being able too go to slightly loud places. My daughter is only 7, will I be able to go too her wedding in the future or hear the voice of my grand kid/s in time if my hearing gets worse.
No more holidays, can't go too the cinema, music sounds shit, the fun literally taken away from life.
I hate my cars. Hate myself really.

#thatfuckingalarm

Guys, i empathize for all your fears and worries. I'm feeling many of the things you feel as well but i had to learn the hard way that what you can't affect at the present, aren't worth wasting energy on at the moment. I also now that we are all unique and T affects us in different ways even we try to find common advice to solve our fears.

Every dream, hope and achivement aren't wasted just because you have T, adjust to the situation to not make your T worse and you can live a "normal" life or something that are in that way. I say that that has a regular very high T sounds in my head everyday. I have my dark moments with T as you but its just human to fall and then to rise again. But when you feel low it's hard to realize in that moment but i can be done!

#Onemomentatatime

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now