• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

What Can You Do or Take to Relieve Ear Pain Caused by Hyperacusis?

Yesterday was amazing - the tinnitus was audible but not super intrusive and I basically had free reign to do whatever I wanted without being limited by noise.

Today is horrible - I got woken up by my tinnitus which was screaming. I had to take meds to knock myself out again, and now despite taking Xanax and Kava it's still quite annoying, enough to hear over anything in my house. It effectively dictates how much work I can do and how productive I can be.
Very happy for you that you got one good day at least, but I am confused. Are you more bothered by your tinnitus than your hyperacusis?

Very happy for you that you got one good day at least, but I am confused. Are you more bothered by your tinnitus than your hyperacusis?
I'm bothered by the overlapping areas - reactivity and distortion which are said to be symptoms of hyperacusis, but manifest as torturous augmentations to tinnitus make my life much harder than it needs to be. For example driving in a car will send my tinnitus volume to an unbelievable level, and it's hard to mask when sounds either boost my tinnitus or are inherently distorted. I have mild pain hyperacusis where I occasionally get burning and other weird feelings in my ears, but that is not my biggest issue.

I can't even list all them, as I had loads of them, but the worst were severe anxiety, depression, pressure and pain in the chest, muscle pains all over, headaches, a constant sense of complete doom, feeling like I was going insane, trouble concentrating, light sensitivity, increased hyperacusis, and so on...
How long have you been on benzos?
What has your withdrawal symptoms been like? My tinnitus got super fucking loud, like fire alarm loud for a week and a half after I stopped taking my benzos.
How long have you been taking benzos @Ava Lugo? Which one?

But to be fair, that man was on every drug under the sun.
Daniel...

I miss him very much. We had long phone calls back then.
He did try anything to get better.

Unfortunately I think that it was Trobalt that damaged him. He took too much too abruptly.

@PatrickG got severe visual snow from it too. I wonder how he is doing. Very nice guy too.

All this @#$ suffering! Bloody hell!

When you were on them?
My hyperacusis started a few days after I got on benzos. I don't think they had anything to do with it. I think they helped, but to be honest I took 3 other meds, alongside benzo's: 2 antidepressants and an antipsychotic, so I can't say for sure if it were the benzo's alone that helped.

But ever since getting off the benzos, my hyperacusis has been getting progressively worse over time.

Just to update. I've been on Keppra about 5 months. I can't really remember having any ear pain recently, whereas before I had some ear canal burning, though this was rare. I have some light sensitivity/blurriness in my vision, but I'm not sure this is from the medication or not. I might cycle off in the future to see if it makes any difference. I started to withdraw from two drugs simultaneously last week which was a bad idea, so my tinnitus spiked.

Overall I'd say pain seemed to have diminished to very little on Keppra, but let's see if I lower my dose whether anything happens, as it could have done that on its own.

I am in month 10 of severe reactive tinnitus and mild hyperacusis.

Just to update. I've been on Keppra about 5 months. I can't really remember having any ear pain recently, whereas before I had some ear canal burning, though this was rare. I have some light sensitivity/blurriness in my vision, but I'm not sure this is from the medication or not. I might cycle off in the future to see if it makes any difference. I started to withdraw from two drugs simultaneously last week which was a bad idea, so my tinnitus spiked.

Overall I'd say pain seemed to have diminished to very little on Keppra, but let's see if I lower my dose whether anything happens, as it could have done that on its own.

I am in month 10 of severe reactive tinnitus and mild hyperacusis.
Hi @GBB. I understand your frustrations completely. I developed reactive tinnitus and increased hyperacusis after a noise incident 8 weeks ago and my left ear now burns like hell and feels full, hearing dips and anxiety sky high. It's tough not having any respite from the noise. I agree, travelling in the car exasperates it. Mine sounds like a siren noise too. Without sounding like a Debbie Downer, it's shit that nothing can truly alleviate it. It's a tough one x

FWIW, I take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam at night. I am slowly tapering down after taking them for a little more than a year. 0.5 mg is a very small dose and I also take 2.5 mg of Zolpidem which is also a very small dose. I am taking Gabapentin while I am reducing the dosages.

FWIW, I take 0.5 mg of Clonazepam at night. I am slowly tapering down after taking them for a little more than a year. 0.5 mg is a very small dose and I also take 2.5 mg of Zolpidem which is also a very small dose. I am taking Gabapentin while I am reducing the dosages.
Did Clonazepam help your hyperacusis and tinnitus while on it?

Did Clonazepam help your hyperacusis and tinnitus while on it?
I only take it at night so it is hard to tell. If I take a slightly larger dose, I can feel it the next day and I seem less bothered by it. I believe that there is a physician who advocates for a combination of Gabapentin and Clonazepam. The hyperacusis is the condition that causes more issues for me.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now