What Is the Mechanism of the Influence of Stress on Hearing?

IvanRus

Author
Jul 2, 2017
Tinnitus Since
04/2017
Cause of Tinnitus
ototoxicity
How does stress affect tinnitus? More precisely, how can it affect negatively on hearing?

This is a fact, no one argues with this? I'm interested in the mechanism of damage to the ear under stress. Free radicals, active oxygen species, excitotoxicity, vessels? ...

Nowhere did I find any scientific information. Also, in this case, to some extent should help NAC and other antioxidants?

How does stress affect tinnitus? More precisely, how can it affect negatively on hearing?

This is a fact, no one argues with this? I'm interested in the mechanism of damage to the ear under stress. Free radicals, active oxygen species, excitotoxicity, vessels? ...

Nowhere did I find any scientific information. Also, in this case, to some extent should help NAC and other antioxidants?
Stress and tinnitus - from bedside to bench and back

From the "Stress and tinnitus" paragraph:
  • First, stress may potentially activate the local HPA axis in the inner ear. The consequences of local overdrive in the HPA system in cochlea are so far unknown.
  • Second, stress-activated HPA corticosterone release may affect mineralcorticoid receptor function in cochlea and possibly influence the concentration of potassium secreted by stria vascularis, resulting in tinnitus.
  • Third, stress-induced activation of HPA axis and corticosteroid release could provoke pre- or post-synaptic neuronal plasticity of the auditory system ((Figure55).

Stress and tinnitus - from bedside to bench and back

From the "Stress and tinnitus" paragraph:
  • First, stress may potentially activate the local HPA axis in the inner ear. The consequences of local overdrive in the HPA system in cochlea are so far unknown.
  • Second, stress-activated HPA corticosterone release may affect mineralcorticoid receptor function in cochlea and possibly influence the concentration of potassium secreted by stria vascularis, resulting in tinnitus.
  • Third, stress-induced activation of HPA axis and corticosteroid release could provoke pre- or post-synaptic neuronal plasticity of the auditory system ((Figure55).
I see, thank you.

Ie if I observe a spike on the background of stress, and some decrease in hearing at one frequency in one ear (in my opinion), then it is not necessary or even harmful to take corticosteroids (prednisolone, etc.)?

What do you advise, antioxidants?

Anyone an answer on that question? Also what is considered stress? Is it a temporary fear/axiety/nervousness of half a day, or is it heavy stress for months?

I wonder, because I am currently a bit stressed and already feel some tension at my ears. Wonder what that is.

I think I'm under stress right now, and I'm blaming some eye drops I've been prescribed. However, I feel my tinnitus is so way off the scale stress isn't helping.

So in other words stress can make tinnitus permanently worse?

Interesting question. I'm wondering the same.

From own experience stress doesn't make t worse, the sound is just as loud but it seems to be louder because i'm faster annoyed while under stress. Stress changes your perception of things.

T is very subjective, you can't measure it. So it's heavily influenced by our own perception.

More precisely: What is stress?
Btw., - for decades, "stress" was regarded as the trigger for stomach ulcers. Now it is Helicobacter pylori...;)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now