• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

What Is This Ear Pain? Hyperacusis or Ear Infection?

@serendipity1996 I do wonder the same here... Initially I recovered from my first onset of H while unemployed last year, so I could rest for a long time at home for about 6 months.
Back then I would get burning pain just from listening to anything mildly loud, but that feeling and the immediate cause and effect went away and I felt like I was 100% recovered late Summer last year...

However some months ago I started a job with a daily loud commute for 2 hours 5 times a week. Subway, sirens etc. Since then I suffered this setback in which reactions seem delayed or at least developed into something chronic, as 2 days rest during the weekend probably isn't enough to recover from. I have been wearing muffs only for the loud parts of the commute for about 3 months now.

I've read up about "Cental Sensitization" and wonder how it could apply to H sufferers, explaining the long-term pain some still experience.

@serendipity1996 I do wonder the same here... Initially I recovered from my first onset of H while unemployed last year, so I could rest for a long time at home for about 6 months.
Back then I would get burning pain just from listening to anything mildly loud, but that feeling and the immediate cause and effect went away and I felt like I was 100% recovered late Summer last year...

However some months ago I started a job with a daily loud commute for 2 hours 5 times a week. Subway, sirens etc. Since then I suffered this setback in which reactions seem delayed or at least developed into something chronic, as 2 days rest during the weekend probably isn't enough to recover from. I have been wearing muffs only for the loud parts of the commute for about 3 months now.

I've read up about "Cental Sensitization" and wonder how it could apply to H sufferers, explaining the long-term pain some still experience.
Yeah, that's an interesting hypothesis particularly if hyperacusis turns out to be related to nerve damage/sensitisation in the inner-ear. I also wonder whether part of the pain could be related to TTTS or muscular dysfunction? It's frustrating how unpredictable this condition is - having had hyperacusis before, I'm not sure whether that means this is just a prolonged spike that will eventually subside or my ears have reached a state of intractable deterioration... which scares me and I try not to think about it too much lmao.

I still don't know why I experience this pain. Earwax, infection and such problems are ruled out.

If the pain is random/not directly caused by sound, what would that suggest? I listened to my speakers for 20 minutes at around 50 db. A few hours later I have pain in my left ear. The last time I had it in that ear was 3 weeks ago when I used the speakers last. Is it psychological?

Any suggestions? Is this TTTS? I get the "yawning muscle" spasms that are painless. Can TTTS cause sharp pain as a delayed reaction?

I don't experience loudness hyperacusis

I still don't know why I experience this pain. Earwax, infection and such problems are ruled out.

If the pain is random/not directly caused by sound, what would that suggest? I listened to my speakers for 20 minutes at around 50 db. A few hours later I have pain in my left ear. The last time I had it in that ear was 3 weeks ago when I used the speakers last. Is it psychological?

Any suggestions? Is this TTTS? I get the "yawning muscle" spasms that are painless. Can TTTS cause sharp pain as a delayed reaction?

I don't experience loudness hyperacusis
I saw a video of someone's conversation with an audiologist on Facebook, and the audiologist mentioned that the Trigeminal Nerve is closely linked with the function of the Tensor Tympani muscle. Not sure how true this is, but perhaps could explain the pain?

I saw a video of someone's conversation with an audiologist on Facebook, and the audiologist mentioned that the Trigeminal Nerve is closely linked with the function of the Tensor Tympani muscle. Not sure how true this is, but perhaps could explain the pain?
That's what biomedical scientist seem to be saying for some cases of noise induced pain.

@Contrast I blocked you a while back because I wanted to take suicide off my mind, and I haven't found a way to unblock you. Anybody but Contrast reading this could quote him maybe?

That's what biomedical scientist seem to be saying for some cases of noise induced pain.
Yeah the video mentioned that the TN controls the Tensor Tympani and also the Eustachian tube which is why some people have that feeling of "fullness" in their ear.

But she said the TN isn't influenced by noise, but rather by "negative conditioning" and our sympathetic nervous system. Which doesn't really explain why people experience fullness from the get go, before they even know what hyperacusis is (no conditioning involved).

But would perhaps explain why TTTS appears a few months into having tinnitus & hyperacusis for some. Loud noise triggers either the TN or something else that influences the TN, which in turn sets off the tensor tympani muscle and causes those spasms/burning sensations in various branches of the TN.

In my situation, it would make sense if the ear pain was psychological/stress related. Listening to music is partly re-living the trauma of tinnitus onset again with a lot of fear of further damage involved

The last 4-5 days I've been practicing qi gong for several hours every day. Among many other things, these movement are meant to relax and mobilize the neck, shoulders and upper back.

My ear pain has pretty much disappeared, AND during these days I've been listening to music for hours on end quite loud without problems so maybe the actual sound of music wasn't the culprit after all, maybe it was either stress/muscular or psychological?

It's only been a few days though. We'll see what happens. I'm feeling hopeful at least.

In my situation, it would make sense if the ear pain was psychological/stress related. Listening to music is partly re-living the trauma of tinnitus onset again with a lot of fear of further damage involved

The last 4-5 days I've been practicing qi gong for several hours every day. Among many other things, these movement are meant to relax and mobilize the neck, shoulders and upper back.

My ear pain has pretty much disappeared, AND during these days I've been listening to music for hours on end quite loud without problems so maybe the actual sound of music wasn't the culprit after all, maybe it was either stress/muscular or psychological?

It's only been a few days though. We'll see what happens. I'm feeling hopeful at least.
Interesting - I've observed a similar phenomenon. My hyperacusis setback was initially worsened by laptop speakers - 3 months later and am 90% back to normal except laptop speakers *still* trigger my TTTS/hyperacusis symptoms. After 15-20 mins I get forehead tingling, numbness, ear 'tightness' - it's not even 'painful' just distinctly uncomfortable. Something about low-quality tinny laptop speakers just absolutely does me in - the sound feels almost 'scratchy'. In my day to day life now, I am barely experiencing any TTTS/hyperacusis symptoms but my laptop speakers continue to trigger it. It's honestly bizarre and I wonder if there's some psychological element intertwined with it? Like because that was what originally worsened my setback I've become particularly sensitive to sound emitted by those speakers.

Are you using a video from YouTube for the exercises? Could you provide a link? I fancy having a go.

Are you using a video from YouTube for the exercises? Could you provide a link? I fancy having a go.

I've been using some videos as a reference/inspiration and once I learn the movements somewhat I explore them on my own and add things. I have years of experience in similar fields and many of the movements are similar to things I have done before. There's probably many great videos out there, but here's the two I used:

I found this very comprehensive, for me it was clear what I was supposed to focus on mentally. It could feel pretty "out there" if you're new to these kinds of traditions.
He has many videos I haven't checked out yet, including shorter versions of this practice. This one seems like a condensed version of the movements which I think are beneficial for the neck/shoulders

This is in Swedish, but the movements speak for themselves. I know for a fact that this person knows what she's doing
This is mostly what I've been doing with variations, less focus on the leg excercises

I've been using some videos as a reference/inspiration and once I learn the movements somewhat I explore them on my own and add things. I have years of experience in similar fields and many of the movements are similar to things I have done before. There's probably many great videos out there, but here's the two I used:
Thank you. I will give them a look tomorrow. Not sure I could do it for several hours a day though, so i will start slow and build up.

@all to gain Do you lift weights?
I used to, and quite seriously. But I gave up 2 years ago before I got tinnitus. Hopefully you are not going to say I should start lifting weights, as I am glad to see the back of them:LOL: I want to get more flexible (mobile) and less tense, so I presume what you are doing will help with that.

I was never very good at sticking to static stretching as I found it quite boring, and it is very hard work. I would prefer something with movement involved.

OK, fair enough.

You've got me intrigued now:LOL:

Well, I used to be very active my whole life until my joints started breaking down five years ago. Since then it's been a struggle to keep doing any activities whatsoever, and I've given up one after another.

My only hope for the future is to be able to walk/hike and do easy movements like qi gong. Right now, not even this is possible. It's beyond depressing but I guess I don't expect anything else at this point

I don't care about maintaining muscle anymore. It's 10+ years of hard work I'm ready to let go of, since tinnitus and chronic pain has taught me that nothing lasts anyway. I would rather take the chance of less pain/tension/imbalance in the neck and upper back area than lifting weights.

If I think about where I want to be in 10 years, I don't need to be strong. I want to be able to walk and move freely without daily pain. I want my tinnitus to improve. That's what matters.

Make no mistake, if I could train with kettlebells etc I would do it right now. I did not have any problems with my joints until I stopped lifting as much and started running/practicing yoga instead.

Well, I used to be very active my whole life until my joints started breaking down five years ago. Since then it's been a struggle to keep doing any activities whatsoever, and I've given up one after another.

My only hope for the future is to be able to walk/hike and do easy movements like qi gong. Right now, not even this is possible. It's beyond depressing but I guess I don't expect anything else at this point

I don't care about maintaining muscle anymore. It's 10+ years of hard work I'm ready to let go of, since tinnitus and chronic pain has taught me that nothing lasts anyway. I would rather take the chance of less pain/tension/imbalance in the neck and upper back area than lifting weights.

If I think about where I want to be in 10 years, I don't need to be strong. I want to be able to walk and move freely without daily pain. I want my tinnitus to improve. That's what matters.

Make no mistake, if I could train with kettlebells etc I would do it right now. I did not have any problems with my joints until I stopped lifting as much and started running/practicing yoga instead.
Not being able to walk and move without pain sucks. I really hope you find something that works for you.

Since I stopped lifting I feel like my body has disintegrated too, but it may be partly to do with age. Like you, I don't need to be strong (in fact I never needed to be as strong as I was), and instead just want to be healthy. I could, if I wanted, still lift weights, but I have lost all interest. I have some kettlebells at home, but I am repulsed by them.

Today I am going to try to start doing some deep stomach breathing. I have little motivation to do anything, except walk, so will only start the exercises in the videos you posted when I feel a little different.

To anyone finding this thread in the future by searching, as I have done many times with old threads on this forum:

My ear pain is now gone. I'm 90 percent sure it was caused by problems with my neck muscles.

I stopped doing certain movements that caused neck pain and strain and added an almost daily qi gong-routine instead.

If I sit with bad posture in front of the computer a whole day, the pain can return in a milder form. Clear cause and effect.

An ENT said it was muscular, and to his credit he was right. Perhaps they can know some things after all. Then again, he recommended SSRIs and wanted to irrigate my ears so maybe not...

Was the pain related to my tinnitus or not? I have no idea. I don't even know if my tinnitus is really noise induced, or if it's all caused by neck problems, or both.

Anyway, it's amazing that this problem improved. I did not think it would. I can listen to music again without fearing that it was the cause of my ear pain

Take care everyone

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now