When Can I Accept That It Might Be Getting Better?

Marie79

Author
Feb 7, 2016
USA
Tinnitus Since
2/1/16
Cause of Tinnitus
Ear infection
For several days now I have noticed it being MUCH quieter. I thought I was just habituating but from what I've been told, with habituation..when you look for it and listen for it..it's there.

I am literally sitting in my quiet bedroom right now no background noise and MAYBE ever so lightly I can hear it.

4 months in..You think it could be going away?

For several days now I have noticed it being MUCH quieter. I thought I was just habituating but from what I've been told, with habituation..when you look for it and listen for it..it's there.

I am literally sitting in my quiet bedroom right now no background noise and MAYBE ever so lightly I can hear it.

Do you understand how insulting your worries are to ACTUAL tinnitus sufferers??!!

You need to thank a higher power and stop obsessing! Will you?

Do you understand how insulting your worries are to ACTUAL tinnitus sufferers??!!

Aussie, you are a great poster and have always good insights.
i dont wanna sound rude or anything.
i know you can interpret this post as an insult.
but we are here to support each other.
some people have it worst than others, thats for sure.
but everyone has a different life story, way before t.
some people cant take not even a little, and react different to life challenges.
the doctors, and even our family sometimes dont support us, and dont give a damn about our situation.
lets support each other! :)

Marie, the key to habituation is not paying attention to the sound.
as the days go by, you will have no reaction to it, so the sound will turn like...
for example the clothing you are wearing now, you have it on you, but you dont longer feel it right?
thats exactly what happends when you habituate to tinnitus :)

I HAVE suffered with this and might be getting better. I don't know anyone here who wouldn't be kind of obsessing if their T was going away. It wasn't like this in the beginning and wasn't for a long time.

Marie, the key to habituation is not paying attention to the sound.
as the days go by, you will have no reaction to it, so the sound will turn like...
for example the clothing you are wearing now, you have it on you, but you dont longer feel it right?
thats exactly what happends when you habituate to tinnitus :)
So it's really getting better then? Because if I am completely paying attention it seems like it is almost no longer there anymore. This has just been in the past week. Hopefully it will continue

So it's really getting better then? Because if I am completely paying attention it seems like it is almost no longer there anymore. This has just been in the past week. Hopefully it will continue

Ideally the day will come where you realize you haven't thought about your tinnitus in days, weeks or maybe even months. Right now you're probably still a bit too hyper-aware of it, but hang in there, eventually you should reach a place of indifference to it.

Can I ask if you have measurable hearing loss as well? If so, do you mind if I ask what your audiogram looks like?

If your t is going away, that sounds great.

Can I ask if you have measurable hearing loss as well? If so, do you mind if I ask what your audiogram looks like?

If your t is going away, that sounds great.
no hearing loss. supposedly I got T from an outer ear infection. I mean I KNOW it started when I had that infection but I'm not sure if I really believe it never became an inner ear infection. I don't know. I wonder if I had this all along and me freaking out made my super hyper aware to it.

Marie, I think that taking a break from this forum for a time being might be useful for you. The more you sit around here, the more you will be reminded of it. Trust me, I have come and left TT a few times depending on how TT affects me. Now I hold no specific emotions to TT, I am here to help and support others and see how others are doing.
I hope it goes away for you. But you need to stop obsessing with if or when it might and if or when you are habituated. We can't answer it for you and I think you need to find some inner peace, usually it helps to not sit around on a tinnitus forum. Don't get me wrong, we like to have you here but sometimes it stands in your way and your best interest.
And I also understand Aussie's frustration, my T has only become worse since my onset so it feels a little irritating that you are obsessing with a very light sound and in fact that it has become better. But we fight our own struggles and I have seen yours on the forum so I know that you have felt bad about it. T is very subjective so someone that have quieter T might suffer more than someone with moderate or severe T.

Hang in there.

I don't see why it couldn't just go away. In fact, if you got it from an infection it probably will go away. Ears take a long time to heal. The fact that you are listening to it means you're not habituated. I'm not faulting you for that. I think everyone would just rather have this go away than habituate to it. I say good for you:). I think it's nice to hear about it going away for someone. Gives me hope:)

Marie, I think that taking a break from this forum for a time being might be useful for you. The more you sit around here, the more you will be reminded of it. Trust me, I have come and left TT a few times depending on how TT affects me. Now I hold no specific emotions to TT, I am here to help and support others and see how others are doing.
I hope it goes away for you. But you need to stop obsessing with if or when it might and if or when you are habituated. We can't answer it for you and I think you need to find some inner peace, usually it helps to not sit around on a tinnitus forum. Don't get me wrong, we like to have you here but sometimes it stands in your way and your best interest.
I think people are thinking it has been this way all along and it has not. Up until last week it was loud all night long and almost nothing masked it.

@Marie79 Sounds more like you have an anxiety / hypochondriac problem. If you have to sit down and really consentrate to hear it. What is the problem? Just don't sit down and listen for it...

@Marie79 Sounds more like you have an anxiety / hypochondriac problem. If you have to sit down and really consentrate to hear it. What is the problem? Just don't sit down and listen for it...
This is a recent development and I was wondering if it was habituation. It was not the case before a few days ago.

I guess I don't know if it is going away, but it sure sounds like it and that is really great. I feel like my tinnitus has gone down in the last 2 years, but I think my brain has just learned to listen around it mainly. That is different from noticing a sudden decrease. Maybe your ears have finally healed from your infection. Do you feel like you could live comfortably with the sound you have now?

@Marie79

I can understand this causing anxiety for you Marie.

Please ignore anyone who says that you should be grateful because their T is louder, more intrusive and so on, than yours. Applying that logic means that none of us should be worrying about our T because there are other, worse things, that we could have - so we should shut up and be grateful. Absolute rubbish.

If you're feeling anxious and you want to ask something or just shout about it... then don't let any comments like those stop you.

My T goes away - completely - but in the past I've worried about it even when sitting in silence and it's normal to wonder whether it's going away or whether you are habituating - because it must be hard to tell.

Really hope it's disappearing for you.

Click

Marie...

Ditto click's sentiments .. and similar posters in this thread ..

Do your best to focus on your reactions only as per the back to silence thread..

Consider tai ch..yoga..meditation..stay distracted
.maybe consider taking up a new interest..to give your brain something else to think of....☺

Feel free to come here anytime for support.

You can do this!

Marie79,
Gotta say I am envious, but very happy for you! Just keep your mind busy with other things and you will be fine.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now