Why Is Tinnitus Not More Common? Loud Bars, Concerts, Restaurants...

Economics/wealth is what improves the welfare and the health of the people. It is the cause, and welfare the health are the effect.
That's not always the case... think about all the jobs that are carried out in dangerous circumstances or where the OSHA rules apply, in terms of noise and other hazards. In those cases, working more or being sort of "forced by life circumstances" to work under those conditions is not an advantage of economic "progress".

Maybe the world should consider, within the new worries about climate change, if we need everything that is produced, or we need to buy so much stuff as consumers...

I just looked up type D personality...fits me perfectly lmao. Yeah, it's interesting a friend of mine has had T since he was 8 from a noise trauma (cap gun fired next to his ear) and regularly uses headphones, goes to nightclubs, festivals, and DJs with no problems. He's one of the most chilled people I know (although I managed to successfully nag him into using earplugs for clubbing haha). It's just anecdotal ofc but it definitely makes you wonder...perhaps with a more anxious disposition our nervous systems are somehow more vulnerable and therefore prone to damage, who knows. I don't have a scientific background though so can only speculate.
I am 100% sure it has a say what personality type a person regarding tinnitus behaviour. My best friend's husband is like your friend. He's 40 and has had tinnitus since a very young age i.e. for many years. He is a musician (in private, doesn't do shows) and goes to loud places/concerts all the time without ear plugs...... .no worsening in his tinnitus so far. One can wonder why that is and then I think of what a chilled guy he is...... he is the complete opposite of me: he doesn't worry or ruminate or have the slightest bit of an anxious personality and that I think, prevents his tinnitus from getting worse...... or at least so far it has...... who knows how it will be for him when he's 60 or 70.

I personally think it is idiotic of him not to wear hearing protection, but it's worked for him for many years.

think about all the jobs that are carried out in dangerous circumstances or where the OSHA rules apply
As the country gets wealthier, fewer jobs get carried out in dangerous circumstances. Also nobody has a gun to their head to carry out those jobs. If someone agrees to do such a job, it means that they figure that as a result of the money they will get for the job, they would be worse off if they don't do this job.
being sort of "forced by life circumstances" to work under those conditions is not an advantage of economic "progress".
The above would be true only if all/most of the jobs in the economy were carried under dangerous circumstances. This is no longer the case. Most jobs are safe, so nobody is "Forced" to do the dangerous jobs.
within the new worries about climate change,
LOL
if we need everything that is produced
When "the world" (you mean the authorities/central planners) is making decisions, then of course a lot of the stuff that the people need Doesn't get produced and a lot of what gets produced is wasted as nobody needs/wants it. When the firms get to make those decisions, for obvious reasons that kind of waste is minimized.

The above would be true only if all/most of the jobs in the economy were carried under dangerous circumstances. This is no longer the case. Most jobs are safe, so nobody is "Forced" to do the dangerous jobs.
Do you really think so? Construction? Steelworks? And the more glamorous... aviation?

Actually even working at a call centre is an ears killer... so I guess society has to reflect about the intensity with which we are working nowadays, because it does not make sense at all.

Do you really think so? Construction? Steelworks? And the more glamorous... aviation?
Are you saying the people who decide to go into those trades and professions have no idea how dangerous it is going to be? They know what they are getting into and have preferences regarding risk that make them comfortable about trading off the higher probability of an accident for a higher pay.
intensity with which we are working nowadays
It is the lowest intensity in human history, and lowest intensity on Earth (compared to the intensity in the developing countries). Nobody is forced to work (unfortunately(!), as this means that the unemployed end up exploiting those of us who work), or forced to work in a particular field.

I think lots of people have mild tinnitus. I know people in real life who have mild tinnitus but I don't know anyone who has severe tinnitus.

Not enough is known about tinnitus to fully answer your question.

People have different ears, hearing thresholds and researchers claim our brains play a significant factor so it's not just our ears and hearing - I dunno about that. I might agree with generic DNA differences being a factor though.
I agree with this. My tinnitus was always a fleeting tinnitus (I would get it every once in a while and would go away after a few seconds) for years... I was told this was normal. It wasn't after my concussion that my tinnitus reappeared and became constant. I definitely believe there is a connection between the brain and the appearance of tinnitus.

I also agree that many people do have it but they aren't bothered by it. My dad has it in his left ear (suffered a stroke and sadly lost his hearing in that ear), my boyfriend has it very mildly in his right ear as well. A lot of my friends told me they hear it only at night. Yet they continue to live their lives normally (go to concerts, clubs, wear earphones at really loud volume), in the meanwhile I can't do any of those things anymore. I guess everyone is different.

I agree with this. My tinnitus was always a fleeting tinnitus (I would get it every once in a while and would go away after a few seconds) for years... I was told this was normal. It wasn't after my concussion that my tinnitus reappeared and became constant. I definitely believe there is a connection between the brain and the appearance of tinnitus.

I also agree that many people do have it but they aren't bothered by it. My dad has it in his left ear (suffered a stroke and sadly lost his hearing in that ear), my boyfriend has it very mildly in his right ear as well. A lot of my friends told me they hear it only at night. Yet they continue to live their lives normally (go to concerts, clubs, wear earphones at really loud volume), in the meanwhile I can't do any of those things anymore. I guess everyone is different.
I had mild tinnitus almost a year ago but I think it went away. But, then, in February of last year, I had an acoustic trauma and noticed moderate to severe tinnitus for the first time. It fluctuated wildly the first two months. It would occasionally go to practically a hiss. I had periods in which it became mild and I wouldn't pay attention to it unless I listened for it. These fluctuations would last from a few seconds to a couple of hours. It even calmed down at night sometimes and it was easier to try to sleep. I could use an app if I wanted.

This all changed in mid April. I can only suspect it was a loud noise in a grocery store. It was from an overhead speaker. I don't know what else it could have been. I just know that my fluctuations became rare and lasted only minutes maximum and the volume seemed worse.

I had hope that I still might have improvement before then. Now, I have none.

Are you saying the people who decide to go into those trades and professions have no idea how dangerous it is going to be? They know what they are getting into and have preferences regarding risk that make them comfortable about trading off the higher probability of an accident for a higher pay.
Do you really think a young flight attendant thinks, for instance, about hearing damage, or about the long term impact on health derived from climbing and descending 4 times per day on a plane?

Do you really think a young flight attendant thinks, for instance, about hearing damage, or about the long term impact on health derived from climbing and descending 4 times per day on a plane?
First of all, if she doesn't, it is only right that she experience the consequences of that (whatever they are, and in this case there are likely none, see below). You can ignore reality, but you won't be able to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Second of all, that industry is regulated, and if a significant number of workers were to show significant symptoms, at the very least the employer would be warning all of the applicants about the dangers, and of course likely they would be issuing hearing protection and doing other things to mitigate the risks.

My right ear is screaming today over shower levels, so maybe this will be a distraction.

Unless you are under an oppressive regime, or a prisoner, you have a choice what work you do.
If you work in a zoo....lions may attack, a waitress...people can be a-holes....a stock broker...the IRS is looking at you.
;-)

Aviation is not covered under OSHA in the US, yet it is one of the highest regulated industries there is. Hearing protection is provided, and there are mandated areas requiring protection, like on the tarmac. Pilots and flight attendants aren't directly told the noise levels, but it is obvious, like many jobs. You do a job once, and you know it is loud....you can quit, or continue.

The FAA is not concerned about noise, hearing loss, or tinnitus, as long as pilot or flight attendant can do their duties. The FAA is not concerned about radiation exposure at high altitudes either.
No regime, or government will protect you.

Traveling on airplanes for over 30 years did not give me tinnitus. Some airplanes are louder than others, around 80-85db constantly. This can result in tinnitus, but usually it is long term hearing damage. People have to be proactive and protect our ears in the modern and loud world, and take some personal responsibility.

If you look out the window and see an 8 foot fan ...yeah, it might be loud. A chain saw....yes, probably loud. Likewise, a concert venue with speakers stacked to the ceiling has a high statistical probability of being loud and causing damage. Sky diving, or skiing can be dangerous. We all make mistakes and sometimes it just takes once.

Untrained people should never do the valsalva, I have no idea where people even heard of doing it. It is safe, but only if you slowly and carefully increase the pressure to your ears. Using afrin is much safer to unclog ears.

First of all, if she doesn't, it is only right that she experience the consequences of that (whatever they are, and in this case there are likely none, see below). You can ignore reality, but you won't be able to ignore the consequences of ignoring reality. Second of all, that industry is regulated, and if a significant number of workers were to show significant symptoms, at the very least the employer would be warning all of the applicants about the dangers, and of course likely they would be issuing hearing protection and doing other things to mitigate the risks.
Are you serious? Hearing protection is not provided even in concerts...

Aviation is not covered under OSHA in the US, yet it is one of the highest regulated industries there is. Hearing protection is provided, and there are mandated areas requiring protection, like on the tarmac. Pilots and flight attendants aren't directly told the noise levels, but it is obvious, like many jobs. You do a job once, and you know it is loud....you can quit, or continue.
That's an interesting debate, taking into account that aviation is one of the most regulated industries and also a powerful lobby.

I know a few pilots and all of them have hearing loss. Some of them use earplugs, but they still have to be able to listen to all the instructions on the radio... so kind of a Catch-22 situation. Their job gave them hearing loss and if hearing loss progresses they can lose their job...

Hearing protection is not provided even in concerts...
That's because most people are ok after concerts, and also most people don't go to concerts 5 days a week, 50 weeks per year.

Companies insist that construction workers wear helmets on their heads, and of course this is just one example of the countless safety precautions that firms require their workers to take, when the workers have to work in environments where there is some risk of injury.

Only 1-2% of the adult population say it has a negative effect on ordinary life. I guess all of here belong to those %.
I think that the percentage is correct, about 2% having very intrusive tinnitus. It no longer has a high degree of negative effect on my life, after a couple of years.

What's your point? Who is stopping those musicians from wearing hearing protection?
Hearing protection is not enough. In the famous case of that orchestra musician in London, who was awarded compensation for hearing damage during his job, the sound exceeded 120 decibels. Plugs are not enough to protect someone from a repetitive exposure to those decibels.

Hearing protection is not enough. In the famous case of that orchestra musician in London, who was awarded compensation for hearing damage during his job, the sound exceeded 120 decibels. Plugs are not enough to protect someone from a repetitive exposure to those decibels.
I guess the above means that the problem has now been solved in the UK, as the employers have a convincing incentive to make sure to keep the sound safe.

Only 1-2% of the adult population say it has a negative effect on ordinary life. I guess all of here belong to those %.
The figure of severe tinnitus sufferers is 7.0-7.2%; and although this isn't a great article (I have better stats that are filling brochures) 20.2% of the population rate it as a moderate problem.

That's just way too many people—2 million literally helplessly tortured, and 6,625,600 that have a significant impact on sleep/work/quality of life. We need a cure.

Do you wear ear protection when you go jogging?
Two changes I have had to introduce due to hyperacusis. Firstly to change my jogging route so there is less traffic that is going past me. Doing less distance but going faster. Secondly wearing earplugs it's not too bad with customised earplugs. With Silicone earplugs I can feel the occlusion effect.

Two changes I have had to introduce due to hyperacusis. Firstly to change my jogging route so there is less traffic that is going past me. Doing less distance but going faster. Secondly wearing earplugs it's not too bad with customised earplugs. With Silicone earplugs I can feel the occlusion effect.
Is the occlusion effect actually harmful or just uncomfortable?

Is the occlusion effect actually harmful or just uncomfortable?

Just uncomfortable as the sound is distorted everything you put your foot on the floor. Though I imagine ultimately it could cause harm. Customised earplugs do not really get that. The worst part is the traffic which seems much louder than normal.

I've been thinking about getting custom earplugs too.

I've been thinking about getting custom earplugs too.

Yes its worth it as they stick in your ear but I find they do not block sound as much as other ear plugs. The problem with other earplugs they intend to move around and sometimes you do not notice they are only half in. I use ACS customise earplugs not entirely sure they fit that well. Perhaps I was expecting a really snug fit.

As ear damage is a cumulative thing, you can just assume that those people attending are just in the damage accumulation phase, and sometime 10-20 years out, BAM!

The other thing is something like 20% of the adult population has Tinnitus. But no one talks about it. And to add to that, one time there was a person in a group I was in who said they had tinnitus, and we went around the table and 8 of 10 people had or had it, with 7 saying it is active. Knew these people for years and we never knew.
20% just seems SO low considering all the loud activities that most people partake in.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now