Why Shouldn’t You Go to Concerts and Loud Places Anymore with Protection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Dankmemes

Dankmemes Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      I don’t go to concerts and most really loud places anyways but why are people saying you shouldn’t?

With protection the decibels are lowered to more than enough of an acceptable level.

My earplugs have a noise reduction of 32 decibels so theoretically I could go to a concert with them on and stay there all day if it went that long.

If the concert stayed around 110 decibels it would be reduced to 78 the entire time.

Heck if you were really that scared you could go double protection and get another 5 decibels or twice as quiet.

With protection you can go pretty much anywhere I would think unless the sound is ridiculous like going to see a jet take off from 20 feet away.

What is the reasoning behind some people saying you shouldn’t do these things with protection?

• Like Like x 1
    2. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      Some people can go to a louder event with hearing protection and their tinnitus doesn't get worse and for others the same event would make their tinnitus spike temporarily or permanently. Hearing protection can give you a false sense of protection but like I said there are also many people who still go out and don't seem to have any problems with it. Hyperacusis can also play a role in how your tinnitus reacts to sounds. I wished it was as easy as just having to wear hearing protection.

• Agree Agree x 5
    3. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Bone conduction is the main issue, but the other thing is yes you can go to a concert with protection and yes you will be fine with 33NNR but your tinnitus will spike for a few days afterwards. Keep doing that and eventually it might not be a spike and eventually your tinnitus wont fade. If your fine with that then no problem if its worth it too you. Many professional musicians have tinnitus and carry on with protection.

• Agree Agree x 3
    4. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      If you cope with your tinnitus and the emotional side of it like anxiety,depression and sleep then you might feel you could be fine with noise reduction plugs and thats great .
      If your near the speakers then sound can travel through your mastoid bone.
      If the concert is in the open air that could be a better option if you were in the quietest part.
      Also if alcohol is taken or drugs then you might forget pop in your plugs .
      Being sensible if you go is the key!
      love glynis

5. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Dankmemes, I think it is a personal choice. Sometimes based on fear.

6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
    7. newbieT

newbieT Member

Tinnitus Since:
      4/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Keep in mijd the 32dB reduction is not across the board. It will typically reduce more at high frequency and less at lower frequency.

For example most of the volume at a concert or club is in the bass whuch is around 20-100hz range. A 32bB earplug will much lower dB attenuation at this range

8. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      It may be a case of survival of the fittest. These musicians who are able to carry on may simply be more resistant and resilient to sound exposure. While the people with weaker ears could never make it as a musician. Or they are on a ton of drugs and booze and will suffer for it all later on.

• Like Like x 1
    9. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I disagree. Why would these people be somehow superhuman? Why would tons of drugs and booze mask it? Only a few of them are completely smashed 24/7 these days, most of them probably don't live this stereo typical lifestyle. I would suggest its more to do with the fact that they love what they do so much its hard to give it up and 2, wearing custom moulded ear plugs prevents any further damage and they live with a temporary spike for the sake of their career and doing what they love.

• Like Like x 1
    10. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      I wouldn't enjoy a concert with ear-tampons plugging up my ears and muffling the music. When I went to concerts, it was to have a good time. If I can't have a good time, what's the point? My concert days are over.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    11. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Silicone plugs dont muffle the music, it sounds much better infact, and makes the whole experience much more pleasant.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    12. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      Ok, but if I was in Metallica my ears would be destroyed. I've had permanent spikes from sound levels that would not harm a normal person.

If it were really as simple as wearing custom earplugs, why have many people here had to end their music careers? Because of temporary spikes?

13. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      The drummer from Metallica has Tinnitus. Also the second guitarist too.

14. Autumnly
      Wishful

Autumnly Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced
      That’s not true for everyone. Not saying that you can't go out anymore once you develop tinnitus but some people have to be more careful than others.

• Like Like x 1
    15. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I agree. It’s hard to explain but I feel as if I can hear more clearly with earplugs. They cut away much of the loud background buzz.

• Agree Agree x 1
    16. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      Its because all the high end basically just mashes together to create senseless noise without plugs. With earplugs you hear each instrument separately.

• Like Like x 1
    17. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I have quite a bit of hearing loss, too, so at first I thought I was crazy when silicone plugs made environments more clear. I prefer them so much more than foam plugs.

18. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I feel a lot safer with foam plugs, and they dont sound as bad as i thought they would. Silicone ones are way better but id need custom moulded ones to risk going to a loud music event with them.

19. Tinker Bell

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      I recently attended a wedding reception. I switched between my silicone plugs to see if the foam plugs did a better job. There was no difference. If anything, I felt like the musician plugs did a better job.

I really think it’s a personal preference that depends on both ear canal size and structure as well as the type of plugs. Mine have three flanges, I tried a two level one once and felt like they did nothing.

• Like Like x 1
    20. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It is ok to be fearful of something that can give you debilitating T for a lifetime.

• Agree Agree x 3
    21. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      It is not true that wearing hearing protection at a club or concert, means that one is safe and their tinnitus will not get worse. If external sound is loud enough, it will pass through the skull/head and be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction. The best earplugs or moulded types, cannot prevent this from happening. A person with "noise induced" tinnitus needs to be especially careful when attending these venues.

Michael

Last edited: Jul 15, 2018
      • Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    22. Contrast
      No Mood

Contrast Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      late 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      noise injury
      if you notice loud noises smear together that's a classic example of hidden hearing loss.

For me when music gets loud high frequencies become difficult to hear, but on a mid volume I can hear them better.
      It shows hearing loss is more complex then just turning the volume on a tv up or down.

• Useful Useful x 1
    23. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      I will be going my sons Graduation on Wednesday and although sound does not spike my tinnitus I will be taking my plugs along to pop in as I can remember when my eldest son Graduated there was a lot loud clapping through the two hour ceremony.
      I carn't wait to see him in his cap and gown,Just wish my parent's were alive to see our other son Graduate.
      love glynis

• Like Like x 4
    24. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      I went to a ceremony on Wednesday and it wasn't too bad but the worst bit was the clapping. A guy to the left of me made this really deep "thud" sound when he clapped, I was thinking why can't you just clap like a normal person the whole time. Fortunately the person on my right( t ear) was clapping normally which was fine. I did plug my t ear sometimes with my finger because i forgot my plugs.

Enjoy it!

• Like Like x 3
      • Hug Hug x 1
    25. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      This might be where im going wrong. Mine only have two flanges and yeah kinda seems like they are doing naff all. I might have to upgrade. They are alpine 'musicians' ones and i have the top level gold insert in them. I was quite shocked really when i got them but i figured well they are supposed to let things still sound 'normal'. Ok for healthy ears to just stay safe or for a restaurant or wandering the streets.

• Like Like x 1
    26. Mario martz
      Creative

Mario martz Member

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Last year I went to see SZA at big noisy venue, poppy at a small super noisy venue, and Azealia Banks (was almost front row), used my ear foam plugs and took a few breaks... and nothing happened... its been almost a year.

Like I said, it depends... every tinnitus is different.

• Like Like x 2
    27. Sebastians

Sebastians Member

Tinnitus Since:
      10/2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Guitars, loud girls and guns
      James Hetfield has T after a lifetime of playing loud metal, explosions on stage and shooting guns (there used to be an interview with Howard Stern on youtube where he talks about his T issues). Seems to deal with it rather well.

28. Starthrower
      Wtf

Starthrower Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      January 2002
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Dental Surgery
      @Bill Bauer I agree but I would use the word "caution" rather than fear. Fear adds to our already OCD tendencies when we get severe tinnitus.

In my first year I feared every single sound or vibration. I needed to learn in my own time that all sound sound not be feared. By personal choice I haven't been to a movie theater or indoor concert. I know that my well-being - tinnitus wise - limits myself to some activities. So after a while I found what I could do without making my tinnitus worsen.

• Agree Agree x 4
    29. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      This is one of the most sensible posts I’ve read in ages and perfectly sums up my feelings and opinions towards T. No one should be living in fear because of T; it’s something I’ve been adamant about for a long time.

There’s one common thread between people who do well and that’s their ability to adapt, accept their situation, and move forward with their lives without living in constant fear.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    30. SugarMagnolia
      Jaded

SugarMagnolia Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Does no one worry about getting impacted ear wax from having plugged ears? Or bacterial infections from inserting plugs with less than clean fingers?

• Agree Agree x 1