Why Shouldn’t You Go to Concerts and Loud Places Anymore with Protection?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Dankmemes, Jul 14, 2018.

1. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      You can use ead drops to stop it building up, i use sodium bicarb a few times a month for example.

• Like Like x 1
    2. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      It sums up my feelings and opinions too.
      Doesn't matter what label (fear vs. caution) you use. The important thing is to be "street smart" and to evaluate everything around you at all times to ensure that nothing poses any potential dangers as far as your T is concerned.
      The bolded text above shows that by "people who do well" you actually mean "people who end up with permanent loud T."
      You could carry a bottle of hand sanitizer with you...

• Agree Agree x 2
    3. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      See, now when you say it like that it sounds really paranoid and obsessive to me; and in my experience, obsessive behaviour can fuel tinnitus symptoms. We are all different, however, so we must find our own way. I just don’t think people should be constantly monitoring for ‘potential dangers’. I believe living like this keeps you on edge, and in the long run, is likely to make your nerves bad. I’d say living in fear and using caution are very different things. One is unhealthy and the other is sensible.

We’ve mostly all got permanently loud T here, Bill. People who do well don’t usually sign up to forums in the first place, but of the ones that do, acceptance is an extremely important step in moving forwards. Living in tinnitus’ shadow is not acceptance in my opinion, and in fact, I’d say the hardest part is grieving the loss of silence. It takes a long time to come to terms with for many people but gets a lot easier with the passing of time.

• Agree Agree x 1
    4. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What are your feelings regarding the advice to be "street smart" (i.e., paying attention to one's surroundings, evaluating everything in terms of how dangerous it might be, and acting accordingly) in general?
      I am not sure whether an adult is capable of experiencing actual fear (unless one has a phobia = a psychological condition).

• Agree Agree x 1
    5. Silvio Sabo
      Pooptoast

Silvio Sabo Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2006
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise - I think
      Well I could have agreed with you on this 4 years ago. You see I've had tinnitus since May of 2006 and the first couple of years I was extremely cautious and used protection when ever I felt there was a chance that there could be loud sounds. This meant me using custom made earplugs at work, using heavy foam earplugs the extremely few times I went out to a pub or similar (after all I was 22 when I got this thing and couldn't as well isolate my self).

After a few years though I started using protections less and less. And by that I mean I didn't use earplugs at work anymore (I worked extra as a bus driver at the time while studying at a University). I still wouldn't dream of going out without plugs though. And between 2009-2015 I pretty much never used earplugs at all. I didn't go to clubs or concerts or anything like that so I even stopped bringing plugs with me. I actually didn't even have a set of plugs in my pocket for years.

My tinnitus was stable for all this time with a few milder spikes that never lasted more than a day. But to be honest I probably wouldn't even know because I didn't even think about my tinnitus for years. I was "cured". I didn't hear it unless I listened for it. If tinnitus came up in a conversation I would listen for it and go "yep there it is" and then it would go back to the oblivion.

Then in January 2015 I had a major spike that became permanent. After that my tinnitus is not as stable anymore. Recently I went to a wedding reception and even though I wore SNR:35db earplugs the whole time I am having a pretty bad spike at the moment that has been lasting a good couple of weeks that I'm praying is not going to become permanent. This would never have happened only a few years ago!

So what I'm trying to say is that it's not as clear cut as you might think. Your tinnitus might be stable for now but there can come a time, like it seems to have for me, where something that shouldn't be harmful according to all of the sound level charts just for some reason is. I am going to have to come to terms with the fact that I can never ever go to a loud venue again, even with the heaviest protection, and that is sadly the fact for many others. It's not unreasonable fear. It's simply common sense.

• Helpful Helpful x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    6. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      Thank you for sharing your story, @Silvio Sabo . I was planning to wait 2-5 years and then to relax my precautions as far as T is concerned. Now I see that it isn't a good idea to do that.

7. john paul
      English

john paul Member

Tinnitus Since:
      11/11/17
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      acoustic trauma
      I went to a gig a few weeks ago, it will be the last time i will ever go to one and i only went because i love the band so much i just couldn't miss out. I knew what i was in for so it was worth a few days of increased T for me. My Tinnitus is not that severe anyway and i never had H or anything. I wore orange foam plugs and they did a great job and i mean a great job. I knew the sound levels i was experiencing were not harmful but within 5 minutes of being there my T became more awake. I could have run out of there thinking my ears are getting damaged but i didn't because i knew that there was no way in hell they were getting damaged.

It stayed at the same level for the rest of the night and to me it proves that T is hard wired into your central nervous system and just being around loud sounds, will awaken the beast. Its almost like it will feed off noise no matter what you do. My tinnitus has been improving for months now and basically it made it go back a few months and then within 4 days it had reversed again and is now continuing to improve. In order for me to recover in a way that i would like i must stay away from any noise for years to come. I do kinda hope and believe if i do it will reduce into something i dont notice or go away. If this happens i will know that it is never gone, only sleeping and waiting. I will therefore continue to live as though i have Tinnitus and stay away from loud stuff forever but hopefully i wont be suffering which will be good enough for me.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
    8. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I hear you bro. My story seems similar.. I got mild tinnitus from a heavy metal concert as a teenager. I freaked out big time and went to extremes to protect my ears from sound. This lasted a couple of years. Then I slowly came out of it and began doing normal stuff again. I rarely thought if it and never carried ear protection anywhere. 20 years passed ...

Then I had a few acoustic traumas that, apparently, pushed my auditory system over the edge. I'd get big spikes from all kinds of "normal" sounds and stresses. My ears became seriously reactive, with bouts of hyperacusis. Two years later they remain this way and so my life has been ... restricted.

But that's just me. I've always had issues with stress and anxiety, too. That undoubtedly plays a part in it.

I hope that your spike does go down soon, my friend. It's definitely possible. From experience, I'd advise you to reduce stress and avoid too much noise for awhile while your ears recover.

• Like Like x 1
      • Hug Hug x 1
    9. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      What happened (if you don't mind me asking)?

10. TuneOut

TuneOut Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Worsened 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Concert
      I was in a car accident with air bag deployment, about 4 years ago. Some time after went to a loud movie without earplugs. Then I attended some small orchestras, also without protection. I believe these were all precursors. Like your wall analogy.

The final insult was two years ago, when I took this old truck out for the day. It had a loud engine and very poor air sealing. Alot of noise, and major stress when I got lost. Right after that was when everything changed.

• Hug Hug x 3
    11. fishbone
      Shitfaced

fishbone Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      loud noise and very bad sickness
      The ears can take abuse but eventually, they will give in. I hope you are protecting your ears now. Don't blame yourself for the past. I did the same things and now live with a loud/intrusive multi-tones tinnitus, that I treat as my friend. It's the profound hearing loss, that I don't like. I simply ask others to repeat themselves and there is no harm there :)

• Hug Hug x 2
    12. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      I see alot about Metallica in this thread,my bf got tickets to go in Feb.but I'm afraid to go.I have molded custom earplugs and muffs .but afraid of it going through my mastoid bone since my ears will be protected...I'm gonna have to tell him I cant go and hes gonna be upset cause he thought he was doing something to surprise me..

13. Flamingo1

Flamingo1 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      4-15-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic trauma
      Don't worry, I'm pretty sure he's got plenty of friends who would jump at the chance to go to a Metallica concert! If you're not a fan, it's not worth the risk IMO.

14. MuffinMan
      Alienated

MuffinMan Member

Tinnitus Since:
      29/8/2018
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      unknown, started the moment I woke up from a nightmare.
      This one of the social issues that T causes, not being able to go with SO to concerts, movie theaters and parties may be a big issue to some, unless the SO is the bookwork calm type of person.

15. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      That may be true for some people with tinnitus but not for everyone. Personally I have attended a few concerts without issues and cinemas. I don’t go often these days and if I do I make sure I'm near the back.

16. jeannie
      Stressed

jeannie Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise-induced, Ear Infection, Medication... Who knows?
      How are we to protect that area other than not going anywhere?most people dont even know this.maybe that's how alot of us got tinnitus is through the bones in back of our head??

17. coffee_girl
      Innocent

coffee_girl Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      All my life, but got worse 2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced / Concert
      People act like good advice is some kind of gospel, you need to apply a little common sense and do some self evaluations. Nobody's T is gonna be the same way, don't just look at the people who got worse over the years and automatically think it applies to yourself. Even if it does, so what, do what you can to protect your ears and if the worst happens then it was meant to be anyway...no amount of worry will change the outcome.

• Agree Agree x 1
    18. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      I'm going to a concert tonight. DO NOT STOP DOING THE THINGS YOU LOVE. I go to LOTS of shows, and my tinnitus has not gotten worse AT ALL.

Custom earplugs are everything.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Optimistic Optimistic x 1
    19. gav01

gav01 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I always thought this but with all my years of wearing earplugs I never knew the real decibel reduction with earplugs until I read this a few dasy a go.

How does NRR change decibels of exposure?
      When hearing protection is worn, your level of exposure to noise is based on the NRR rating of the protection device being used. Keep in mind, however, that while the NRR is measured in decibels, the hearing protector being used does not reduce the surrounding decibel level by the exact number of decibels associated with that protector’s NRR. For example, if you are at a rock concert where the level of noise exposure is 100 dB and you are wearing earplugs with an NRR 33dB, your level of exposure would not be reduced to 67 dB. Instead, to determine the actual amount of decibel deduction applied (when decibels are measured dBA which is the most common), you take the NRR number (in dB), subtract seven, and then divide by two. Given the previous example, your noise reduction equation would look like the following: (33-7)/2 = 13. This means that if you are at a rock concert with a level of noise exposure at 100 dB and you are wearing a hearing protector with an NRR 33 dB, your new level of noise exposure is 87 dB. If you are wearing a product with an NRR of 27 it would deduct 10 decibels (27-7/2=10).

*To maximize noise reduction, hearing protectors must be worn properly.

How does wearing dual hearing protectors change NRR?
      When hearing protectors are worn in combination (i.e. earplugs AND earmuffs), rather than adding the two NRR numbers together, you simply add five more decibels of protection to the device with the higher NRR. For example, using 3M™ E-A-R™ Classic Earplugs (NRR 29) with 3M™ Peltor™ H7 Deluxe Earmuffs (NRR 27) would provide a Noise Reduction Rating of approximately 34 decibels.

• Informative Informative x 1
    20. Sash
      Doubtful

Sash Member

Tinnitus Since:
      07/01/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      cleaning out wax
      Such a difficult one. I agree you should enjoy life with limitations though I also agree too much bashing on the ears most likely to have adverse long term affects. I have just curtailed going out and only go if there is something exciting happening as I love dancing. I am more likely to go out to larger venues where the music dissipates and doesn't bounce off the walls like with smaller nightclubs I stay at the back (away from my friends as they like to be at the front) and wear custom earplugs.

I don't drink but always forget to take breaks. Breaks are really important. I went to tomorrowland music festival in July and that was the most loudest event over three days (wearing custom earplugs). I didn't get a spike but two weeks later mowing the lawn without earplugs I did get a spike which looks like permanent one (maybe my ears weakened from the relentless sound two weeks earlier who knows) Its not a risk free strategy I am following but better than nothing. Also some types of sound maybe worse for the ears especially Rock.

21. Sam Bridge

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Why is rock worse @Sash