will.i.am Suffers from Tinnitus? How Can He Be in Loud Environments?

Discussion in 'Support' started by leledany, Jun 4, 2017.

1. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      He does not personally set the volume at his concerts. He is not personally blasting people's ears. That would be the responsibility of the concert venue. If you would like to be angry with someone, it would be better directed toward the venue locations.

2. Tinker Bell

Tinker Bell Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      02/2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      SSHL from virus
      Hmmmm, according to a previous poster you must not have had the right kind of tinnitus.

Joking aside, as someone with loud, intrusive tinnitus that cannot be masked -- I'd like to say thank you for posting a hopeful message.

• Agree Agree x 1
    3. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      But he has a certain power, something to help people with or without T. If I was in his position I would pump all my money im research or the least thing you can do is preventing others from getting it.

4. Candy

Candy Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      06/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unidentified
      He said in an interview it goes eeee and has to have the tv on to fall asleep...
      When people talk about sleep disruption as their main complaint I often think they have milder t.

Who knows...I certainly couldn't sit through those loud songs in The Voice where he's a judge, hopefully he does protect...I can't even go to a bar...knowing what screaming awaits the next day.

5. Michael Leigh

Michael Leigh Member Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      I fully agree with you @BobDigi My point is this: There is a limit to habituation and how much one can stand the intrusiveness of tinnitus. If the condition is loud enough (something I don't wish for again) it is seriously mentally debilitating. Many people have done things when their tinnitus has been so severe that they wouldn't contemplate if they weren't in such a distressed state. One of our forum members at this moment is in a hospital because it's so distressing.

Michael

6. Ed209

Ed209 Member Podcast Patron Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      The problem with forums where people are suffering, is that people just love to turn on each other. This often happens no matter what the condition is. It's like some inherent human problem. We all signed up here so we're obviously suffering for one reason or another, or we wouldn't be here. This 'competition' to be the biggest sufferer is getting ridiculous now. Tinnitus comes in varying severities, but the fact of the matter is this: if someone is suffering, then they are suffering!!

I can tell you for sure that there are different intensities because I have experienced different levels over 16 years or so. For me personally, tinnitus took on a whole new life 2 years ago when it became very intrusive, but I would never dimish the suffering of anyone else if their T is crushing their spirit. The subjective nature of the condition means we'll never truly understand how bad or how easy other people have it. We can NEVER hear what they have to put up with in their heads, so why bother comparing. Also, people have VERY different coping mechanisms which make a big difference.

If you want to compare, just compare the impact it has on peoples lives instead, like medical professionals do.

Ps: ironically, as I was writing this will.I.am was performing on the TV.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    7. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      That is my point @Ed209 Tinnitus is a very common condition that most people habituate to in time. However, there are many people that have the belief which is wrong, that anyone can cope with tinnitus and it's not distressing because there's isn't. I vehemently believe. If tinnitus is loud and intrusive enough, it is comparable to any acute medical condition because of what it is able to do to a person's state of mind.

8. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      I agree, my state of mind two years ago was terrifying. I never want to feel like that ever again, and I know all to well how catastrophic it can be. Tinnitus can be pure evil, make no mistake about it, but you have to admit that this forum often turns into an argument over pretty much anything sometimes. Either some one takes something out of context, or it just descends into unhelpful nonsense.

• Agree Agree x 1
    9. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      lol @Ed209 what would life be like if we didn't have a bit of drama. Nothing like a good ole punch-up to get everyone involved. Just thankful I'm typing on a keyboard as I'm too old now for fisticuffs..:)

• Funny Funny x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    10. Applejuice

Applejuice Member

Tinnitus Since:
      20-3-2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Unknown
      So the real question is, why is will.i.am not actively trying to bring T to the crowd in a way other than loud music?

Wouldn't anyone, if you'd switch positions with him, try to teach partygoers about T?

11. Sam Bridge

Sam Bridge Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music/gigs probably
      Its not like will i am is the only musician with tinnitus, there are loads who have said they have tinnitus and are still active..

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    12. MidnightOilAudio
      Ape-like

MidnightOilAudio Member

Tinnitus Since:
      03/2015
      90% of this forum is people arguing about who's T is worse, what qualifies as "debilitating" or not, etc. Whenever someone posts something remotely positive about someone whos managed to lead a normal life despite T, it is a given that within the first 10 posts someone will chime in with "His T must not be that bad!". It gets old.

I personally know a very famous music producer who has extreme T and can't hear past 5kHz (we all got tested in the studio one day). He is a happy, happy man despite his T. Would he rather not have it? Probably. Did it take him a long time to adjust? Yes. But is it possible to have loud T and still be happy? YES. And this statement will NOT undermine the search for a cure, because either way, there is a boatload of money waiting for whichever team cracks the T code first and figures out how to silence it, and THAT is what motivates pharma companies.

• Agree Agree x 4
    13. racerfish
      No Mood

racerfish Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise / T worsened with antiobiotics
      What's disabling for one person might not be disabling for another. It's all in how each individual reacts to it. For all we know, Will might have screeching T and hearing loss but his love for music and performance may override all that.

• Agree Agree x 2
    14. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      With respect. Only a person that has never experienced "loud intrusive tinnitus" to the point where is unbearable would say a person with screeching tinnitus, I assume you mean 24/7 can withstand that. Believe me, under these sort of circumstances people have commited suicide. I don't like using that word when talking about tinnitus, but it seems, this is the only way I can make people understand. It doesn't matter who the person is, if this condition is severe enough it will make them want to do things to themselves that otherwise they wouldn't contemplate if the condition wasn't so severe. If you don't believe this just type: tinnitus and suicide into any search engine and see the results. I am not saying a person cannot cope with "loud tinnitus" I'm saying there is a limit, a threshold that each individual can tolerate the same as any medical condition.

Michael

• Agree Agree x 2
      • Good Question Good Question x 1
    15. BobDigi
      Kick ass

BobDigi Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud noise
      I know . And I'm not trivialising the impact it can have. I went through a great deal of depression when I first got T. I just didn't want everyone with loud T, reading the thread and concluding there's definitely no hope.
      I just wanted to add a little balance and make aware some people, even with very loud T can habituated. But I understand it's a unique battle for everyone.

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    16. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Otosclerosis then volume then viral infection
      How long did it take you to reach that point @BobDigi? And what was the secret to your achievement?

17. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      Acceptance and keeping busy. You can't succumb by excessively worrying about it, and/or monitoring it incessantly. Although, this is the hard part. As you transition you'll start to pay less and less attention to the noises in your head, until you reach a realisation that it no longer bothers you. Or at least it will bother you a lot less. You must first address any anxiety and depression, and for me personally, I found exercise and a good diet to be a very powerful ally. Keep your mind occupied by taking up new hobbies, and keep in touch with all your friends. Do not isolate yourself, and look after your ears. Get some ear plugs and use them in noisy situations.

With all this said, the next main ingredient is time.

• Winner Winner x 2
      • Like Like x 1
    18. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      There is no real secret to coping and habituating to tinnitus @Fabrikat but fully agree with @Ed209 advice to you and suggest that you try and follow it. However, tinnitus is caused by many things the most common is exposure to loud noise. I see that your tinnitus was caused by Otsosclerosis. As you know this is usually the abnormal bone growth of the stapes, in the middle ear that can cause hearing loss, tinnitus and other problems in the ear. I will assume you're under the care of an ENT doctor, and think this is the best person to help you and probably refer you to Audiology for tinnitus management, to help with any hearing loss if it is present.

Your situation isn't as straightforward as someone whose tinnitus was caused by "loud noise" exposure, so feel the additional help and support from a Hearing Therapist or Audiologist will benefit you. I have written an article titled: Tinnitus, A Personal View, which covers treatment and coping methods for tinnitus, that you mind find helpful. Please click on the link below.

All the best
      Michael
      https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/tinnitus-a-personal-view.18668/

19. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Thanks @Ed209 and @Michael Leigh. I am a tinnitus veteran for over 45 years now. Indeed, it started off with otosclerosis in childhood, upped a notch after an AC/DC show at my local town hall in '74. Twenty years later, seriously worsened at a pub gig with a guy shouting to be heard over band volume, directly into my right ear. This took a chunk of hearing as well. Two months later, after believing my life was effectively over, I was damaged but habituated.

But the knock out punch came with a viral infection in both ears twenty years after that. Inflamed and scarred cranial nerves have delivered a tinnitus volume and hearing loss beyond anything 'mere' sound could produce. This has been my unfortunate experience anyway.

A year along down this latest road, I would say there indeed is a point when habituation as we all know it, is likely not possible, but rather a kind of gritty, hour by hour, day by day tolerance, that becomes one's new way of living.

So I'm always intrigued when people declare they've become habituated to very loud tinnitus. Indeed I do want to know their secret.

• Like Like x 3
      • Agree Agree x 1
    20. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      A great post @Fabrikat I'm sorry to hear of what you're going through but pleased to hear that you're a tinnitus veteran, as it puts you in a good place to be able to deal with whatever comes your way emotionally. Experience does help with tinnitus. It took me 4 years to habituate for the 2nd time with my tinnitus and two of the years was having TRT. It helped but wasn't as successful as the 1st time. Even with your vast experience with this condition, if you're able to get some tinnitus counselling with a trained Hearing Therapist or Audiologist in tinnitus management and the treatment for it I believe it would be beneficial. As you probably know, some of these health professional were either born with tinnitus or acquired it at some time in their life. So, usually they do have some experience with tinnitus and can empathize and understand how tinnitus can affect a person.

Wishing you all the best
      Michael

21. Fabrikat

Fabrikat Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      @Michael Leigh, you are fortunate to have a tinnitus sympathetic and hip pocket friendly NHS.

22. Tom Cnyc

Tom Cnyc Member

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2016
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Warehouse event after years of enjoying music.
      Don't listen to one person in particular's fear mongering.

I have experienced intrusive tinnitus. I have it intermittently. I've had H. I have experienced an electric storm in my head that kept me from sleeping for 4 months.

I played electric guitar with a band this weekend. My tinnitus DID NOT CHANGE.

Downplaying what musicians deal with is INSANE. Read interviews with Andy Timmons. Paul Gilbert. Pete Townshend. Jody Wisternoff. Optical. They have suffered HEAVILY.

When music is your life you press on.

I'd really like to know who this guy is "counseling" b/c he's doing them a great disservice.

Also - saying its "GOOD" he has this is a horrible thing to say and you should be ashamed of yourself.

Lastly, I'm willing to bet the Black Eyed Peas have caused little to no tinnitus also. They do stadium shows where almost ZERO of the audience is subject to anything above 100db. They're union shows where sound levels ARE controlled by contract. And lastly, nobody who actually likes music enough to be frequent concert attenders gives a shit about the black eyed peas.

• Like Like x 1
    23. Michael Leigh

Tinnitus Since:
      04/1996
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Noise induced
      Indeed@Fabrikat. I count myself fortunate that I've had very good care under the NHS for 21 years for my tinnitus. However, this hasn't been for everyone with tinnitus in the UK. The NHS has it's problems but I would say the care is good for tinnitus compared with people from other parts of the world, which is unfortunate for them.
      Michael

24. Ed209

Tinnitus Since:
      07/2015
      You're a true vet, so you already have a wealth of knowledge on this. You have lived through some difficult times, and often this empowerment (through experience) helps heal new wounds more efficiently. There's no mistaking the difficulty of the task at hand, however, but I believe you can still pull through. I can totally feel your pain, and can only imagine your incredible suffering. I would consider my T loud (it's intrusive and hard to mask) but I have no idea how this loudness compares to what other members experience, and I won't insult you by trying. It's obvious you have it bad and it's a lot to overcome, but I believe you can. I have witnessed suffering in hospitals, and via close friends, that has shown me first hand the immense fighting power of the human spirit. We are capable of overcoming the most unspeakable torment, but it takes love, support and a lot time and work. Also, never underestimate the power of the brains plasticity; never say never.

I sincerely wish you well, and never give up hope. Just hope for a better day, and maybe, you'll find what you're looking for.

• Like Like x 1
      • Agree Agree x 1
      • Winner Winner x 1
    25. glynis
      Feminine

glynis Member Benefactor Ambassador Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Meniere's Disease
      Tinnitus causes trying times for me as both ears just blast away but it comes with other problems also.
      For members reading this,mine is due to Menieres Disease .
      We each have our own tolerance level to what we can cope with as even mild tinnitus can cause someone problems .
      I try to stay positive as its the only way but hard times are a battle.

I know we all have our own stories to tell and the care we have had good or bad by doctors and hospitals ,ENT and Audiology and then left to our own devices to cope .
      This is where we all play a big part on here.
      To get support and give support and reach out the anyone really in a dark place emotionally and with their sound also.
      We also have a private Facebook Tinnitus Hub group and information on Twitter too.
      So well done Tinnitus Talk and Tinnitus Hub for giving everyone a lovely place to come.
      Love glynis

• Like Like x 2
      • Agree Agree x 1
    26. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      >”Support group”
      >Dictating what qualifies as intrusive T
      >Shutting people down who don’t meet the criteria for intrusive T
      >Shaming musicians who have T for coping and doing their jobs / pursuing their passions anyway
      >”Support group”

27. Bill Bauer
      No Mood

Bill Bauer Member Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      February, 2017
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Acoustic Trauma
      If someone has diabetes and also happens to be a competitive cake eating champion (and continues participating in cake eating contests), would it be a good idea to do an intervention and to point out to the person that perhaps it is a good idea to become passionate about something else?
      To quote Dave Barry

28. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      Obviously you’ve never experienced true passion in that manner. Being passionate about cake is not the same thing as being passionate about music. You can’t just flip a switch and decide “oh well, time to find a new passion” when this is what you’ve dedicated your life to.

I think this kind of passion should be commended. I don’t recommend the average person with T do this, but for some, having to give up the thing that keeps you going is a fate worse than T (yes, they do exist).

• Agree Agree x 1
      • Funny Funny x 1
    29. crd3

crd3 Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Loud music / allergies
      Looks like he found a way to cope. He’s already further along than most people on this site. Get a move on it, guys.

30. Christophe_85
      Alone

Christophe_85 Member Benefactor

Tinnitus Since:
      November 2015
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      Not sure...
      It would be really too loud for me !!!

I don't know how he can do it !

Apparently he doesn't have H !