2 Months Later, My Tinnitus Is Nearly Gone

Hello friends, I am back with another update.

It's been over 6 months with tinnitus and I have "habituated" to it. My onset was May 27th, 2022.

It no longer bothers me daily and I have since met so many others in my life that share our condition. I have temporary spikes that can be deafening and sometimes scary, but those are like normal.

Preface: do not tell me not to go to concerts, thanks.

Anyways, I have been able to return to the live music scene and I couldn't be happier. I wear foam earplugs, stay sober to remain calm and in control, and it works FOR ME. Everyone's experience with this awful condition is subjective. What has worked for me will not work for everyone and if I am being honest I didn't actually try and "cure" my tinnitus. I just tried my best to live a normal life (with the exception of always keeping ear protection with me at all times).

I write this post for those just starting out with this condition. Depression is real with this condition, but there is HOPE. What helped me get over my depression was talk therapy and some SNRIs. Never be afraid to self-advocate and get professional/medical help!

And if I could offer one piece of advice, it is mindfulness. Practice it daily. Learn to highlight the positives in your life. Don't dwell on the past or think to the future. Live in the moment with an attitude of gratitude! That is easier said then done and it took me 6 months to get here, but if I can make it so can others.

Peace and Love,
Camp
Any updates? I also got tinnitus from a concert I went to two months ago. Ironically, I wore foam earplugs. For 11 days before I got to see an ENT, I had ringing at a 5-7 level. When I saw my ENT, I did the hearing tests, which came back normal for someone my age (54). When he looked inside my ears, he said I had a lot of earwax buildup and used some instrument that felt like it went inside my brain. He pulled out large chunks of wax that looked like pieces of tootsie roll. I immediately felt some relief. He told me not to wear the foam earplugs because they completely block the ear canals and act as a vacuum, which impacted my earwax buildup into my ear drums. By the time I left the office, my ringing had reduced by 50%, by that night it had gone from a 7 to about a 3. These days it lingers at about a 1 or 2.

Do you still have spikes? I get spikes that last a day or two. I went to a restaurant last week, and didn't think I needed earplugs, but the place was all brick and tile and was very echoey. All the conversation got loud and gave me an all-day spike the next day. I have also gotten a few spikes for reasons I can't figure out.

Mostly though, outside the spikes, I do not notice much of my ringing.

I just wanted to share my story and see how you were doing since our stories are similar. Man, I miss live music, but that's out until I find the right earplugs.

When I saw my ENT, I did the hearing tests, which came back normal for someone my age (54). When he looked inside my ears, he said I had a lot of earwax buildup and used some instrument that felt like it went inside my brain. He pulled out large chunks of wax that looked like pieces of tootsie roll. I immediately felt some relief. He told me not to wear the foam earplugs because they completely block the ear canals and act as a vacuum, which impacted my earwax buildup into my ear drums. By the time I left the office, my ringing had reduced by 50%, by that night it had gone from a 7 to about a 3. These days it lingers at about a 1 or 2.
Did your ENT remove earwax before or after your hearing test?

Any updates?
Yea I am totally good, living a regular life these days. I saw a Phish concert in Saratoga Springs this past Saturday. I was inside the pavilion. I wore my custom molded earplugs for 90% of the show and I am doing well.

My tinnitus is akin to normal background noise that does not bother me 98% of the time. I do not experience spikes that last longer than a couple seconds at a time. I have not needed to put earplugs in at a restaurant or semi-packed bar for months. Cars honking next to me do not cause me to freak out or any loud noises for that matter unless its persistent.

I have been to more shows than I can count since habituating to my tinnitus. It is a subjective condition. Mindfulness helped me a ton. I am a natural optimist (mostly).

Thanks for asking!

Yea I am totally good, living a regular life these days. I saw a Phish concert in Saratoga Springs this past Saturday. I was inside the pavilion. I wore my custom molded earplugs for 90% of the show and I am doing well.

My tinnitus is akin to normal background noise that does not bother me 98% of the time. I do not experience spikes that last longer than a couple seconds at a time. I have not needed to put earplugs in at a restaurant or semi-packed bar for months. Cars honking next to me do not cause me to freak out or any loud noises for that matter unless its persistent.

I have been to more shows than I can count since habituating to my tinnitus. It is a subjective condition. Mindfulness helped me a ton. I am a natural optimist (mostly).

Thanks for asking!
Any new reduction in tinnitus volume?

Thanks for asking!
Thanks for the update, this is great to hear. Can I also ask what brand of molded earplugs you use?

It is a subjective condition.
I hate this characterization. It is not externally measurable condition, and while some people can cope better, some can cope less, I am sure there is a level of this that would be too much for anyone.

Happy for you and envious as hell.

what brand of molded earplugs you use
I'm not sure about the brand. I got custom molded earplugs with musician's filters which are like ~25 dB from my audiologist after getting a hearing test completed a year ago at Jefferson hospital in Philly. It cost me $120 dollars. They are super-low profile and comfortable. I've worn them for hours on end without any ear fatigue. I carry them with me in a little pouch everywhere I go.
Any new reduction in tinnitus volume
My tinnitus went from a 6-7 during onset (May 2022) to a steady 1-2 by month 8.
I hate this characterization
I understand your perspective and what I mean is that there are many ways to get this condition and yes, how you react to it is subjective to the individual. That said, F*%k tinnitus!

No improvements since then?
Well, it is a chronic condition, right. I do not imagine it getting any better than a 1-2 on the annoyance scale. The "2" is only when it spikes for a couple of seconds randomly, which will occur a couple of times a week.

Anyways, odds are my left ear will be ringing till death do us part.

I'm not sure about the brand. I got custom molded earplugs with musician's filters which are like ~25 dB from my audiologist after getting a hearing test completed a year ago at Jefferson hospital in Philly. It cost me $120 dollars. They are super-low profile and comfortable. I've worn them for hours on end without any ear fatigue. I carry them with me in a little pouch everywhere I go.
Thanks, Camp. This is good to know. I thought the custom earplugs would be much more expensive.

Be careful with concerts. I had the same experience acquiring mild to moderate tinnitus when I was your age. It returned later in life and I always used earplugs. You've had trauma in your ears, and your chances of a re-occurrence as you age is always there. As my ENT told me, earplugs can only do so much. Loud sound can invade your ears outside your ear canals. So be careful.

Not trying to scare you, just warn you from experience. The good news is if you can protect your ears for the next 10 years or so, there will be treatments and likely even potential cures on the market.

Well, it is a chronic condition, right. I do not imagine it getting any better than a 1-2 on the annoyance scale. The "2" is only when it spikes for a couple of seconds randomly, which will occur a couple of times a week.

Anyways, odds are my left ear will be ringing till death do us part.
You are still within the 2 year threshold, so i imagine you could still get some improvement. I hope so at least.

Thank you and all the best.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now