2020 US Presidential Election

@Zugzug, @Daniel Lion, 57% of primary voters support Trump for 2024. The only other candidate in modern history to lose the primary after having this much support was Hillary Clinton in 2008. This puts Trump in a commanding position imo. Thoughts on this poll?

Trump 2024 Analysis
Hi Born To Slay,

I have been thinking about this question and wanted to get back to you ASAP, especially weighing in before the impeachment shit show.

Give me a day or two till I can get back to the computer. Did you check out the Lutz interview from PBS?

Talk to you soon.

PS. I think I found a young ethereal, intellectual and potential match for you, not sure if she is Bi, but I think she is your age and is a knock out. I'll try and get you an introduction if you like.

Fascinating stuff - check it out.

This guy has worked in the Republican Party for 3 decades and has an interesting and honest take on the Republican Party, the Capitol riot and President Trump.

@Lane @just1morething, all posters, if you get a chance.
He mentioned that Trump voters are not "typical" Republicans and I think everyone agrees on that.

Something else he said was that the "liberals used to be the party of the angry people and now it's the Trump supporters." This is how my mom (a lifelong and "typical" Republican) feels.

While she thinks the left doesn't do enough about the looters at the BLM protests, she sees that more of a fringe that the left tolerates too much. Meanwhile, she is angry at Trump for turning her friends and neighbors (she lives in a rural, very red area) into "angry conspiracy loons."

He mentioned that Trump voters are not "typical" Republicans and I think everyone agrees on that.

Something else he said was that the "liberals used to be the party of the angry people and now it's the Trump supporters." This is how my mom (a lifelong and "typical" Republican) feels.

While she thinks the left doesn't do enough about the looters at the BLM protests, she sees that more of a fringe that the left tolerates too much. Meanwhile, she is angry at Trump for turning her friends and neighbors (she lives in a rural, very red area) into "angry conspiracy loons."
I don't get why either. I get that Biden isn't their first choice, but he's not like super controversial. It's simply 4-8 years of not totally getting your way. It comes off pretty entitled.

At least when the left through a fit over Trump's win, there was real reason to believe that he would view his dissenters as enemies -- just like he ended up doing, actually.

OK, Trump is a difficult person and hurts people's feelings, in high places. We get it. Is that all you've got? Did he get us into a nuclear standoff with the USSR, like JFK did? Did he drop two atomic bombs on Japan? Did he get us into an unwinnable war in Southeast Asia, which took the lives of over 1,350,000 people, or the Iraq war? He did nothing on the level of these leaders. In light of this, why is he being called one of the worst, if not the worst, presidents in history?

OK, Trump is a difficult person and hurts people's feelings, in high places. We get it. Is that all you've got? Did he get us into a nuclear standoff with the USSR, like JFK did? Did he drop two atomic bombs on Japan? Did he get us into an unwinnable war in Southeast Asia, which took the lives of over 1,350,000 people, or the Iraq war? He did nothing on the level of these leaders. In light of this, why is he being called one of the worst, if not the worst, presidents in history?
I'll give you that Bush Jr was easily worse.

I always find that I underestimate how prone to misinformation mankind is.
Hi @Zugzug -- I share your sentiments. -- The following link takes you to an insightful and somewhat provocative 4-min. interview. I think the concerns she--the author of the book--talks about connect directly to many of the worst features of our current political climate.

The Age of Surveillance Capitalism

This is a link to an opinion piece in the NYT by the author of the book, Shoshanna Zuboff.

The Coup We Are Not Talking About
We can have democracy, or we can have a surveillance society, but we cannot have both.

I have spent exactly 42 years studying the rise of the digital as an economic force driving our transformation into an information civilization. Over the last two decades, I've observed the consequences of this surprising political-economic fraternity as those young companies morphed into surveillance empires powered by global architectures of behavioral monitoring, analysis, targeting and prediction that I have called surveillance capitalism.

On the strength of their surveillance capabilities and for the sake of their surveillance profits, the new empires engineered a fundamentally anti-democratic epistemic coup marked by unprecedented concentrations of knowledge about us and the unaccountable power that accrues to such knowledge.​

How to stop Russia from recruiting the next Trump

... "American Kompromat" by journalist Craig Unger — features the claims of Yuri Shvets, a former major in the Soviet spy service, who details the KGB's 40-year attempt to successfully hook the man [Trump] who would ultimately occupy the Oval Office...

... Unger writes that while there, Trump was surrounded by KGB operatives who skillfully stroked his high-maintenance ego, teased him with visions of a Trump property in Russia, and planted a suggestive seed that he should consider running for office.

"For the KGB it was a charm offensive, " Shvets told reporter David Smith in an article that appeared in The Guardian last week. "They had collected a lot of information on his personality, so they knew who he was personally. The feeling was that he was extremely vulnerable intellectually, and psychologically, and he was prone to flattery."​

Hi FGG,

I know it wasn't that revelatory, but still, interesting to hear somebody who is on the ground and has a good sense of conservative voters.

I thought what he said about the next impeachment trial was interesting.

I did not agree with him on a few important issues and thought it was a bit staged when he cried about his shattering of his illusion of a working democracy. Having said that, many people have been devastated by the post election antics leading up to and including the riot.

Hope your mom is good. This has been really hard on my folks.

Poor handling of virus cost Trump his reelection, campaign autopsy finds

Former president Donald Trump lost the 2020 election largely because of his handling of the coronavirus pandemic, according to a post-election autopsy completed by Trump campaign pollster Tony Fabrizio.

The 27-page document shows that voters in 10 key states rated the pandemic as their top voting issue, and President Biden won higher marks on the topic. The report also indicates that Trump lost ground among key demographic groups he needed.

The internal report cuts against Trump's claims that the election was stolen from him and that Biden could not have fairly beaten him — and mirrors what many Trump campaign officials said privately for months.

Fascinating stuff - check it out.

This guy has worked in the Republican Party for 3 decades and has an interesting and honest take on the Republican Party, the Capitol riot and President Trump.

@Lane @just1morething, all posters, if you get a chance.
That guy has a big time vendetta against Trump, who apparently embarrassed him on Air Force 1, so he says. How about the 11 hours of testimonies on election irregularities? Actually I don't want to rehash it. Biden is the President whether it was an honest election or not. Trump drew big crowds at his rallies, Biden was lucky to draw flies.

Senate narrowly votes to advance Biden's $1.9 trillion COVID-19 aid package

Senate Democrats are moving President Joe Biden's $1.9 trillion coronavirus relief proposal to the next stage after agreeing to a process that doesn't require any support from Republicans, for now.

Democrats in the upper chamber voted 50-49 Tuesday, strictly along party lines, to allow an expedited passage process to begin in the House and Senate.

Due to the Democrats' new majority in the chamber, the type of legislation passed Tuesday can advance without facing a filibuster.

Does this mean there's hope?

Sean Hannity is the face of the post-Trump identity crisis at Fox News

... On Tuesday, Fox announced that it finished its 19th consecutive year as the No. 1 cable news network. But in January, Fox reported monthly ratings that fell behind both of its main cable news competitors, CNN and MSNBC, for the first time in 20 years. Even Fox's prime-time opinion juggernaut of Hannity, Ingraham and Tucker Carlson had a smaller combined audience than their CNN competitors did last month.

And, unlike its rivals, Fox News had a worse January than it did a year ago. While CNN was up 128 percent in total viewers in prime time for the month, and MSNBC was up 53 percent, Fox was down 13 percent compared with a year earlier...
Biden is the President whether it was an honest election or not. Trump drew big crowds at his rallies, Biden was lucky to draw flies.
Do you suppose a simple and logical explanation is that that Democrats try to avoid super-spreading events, and Trump supporters don't?

... On Tuesday, Fox announced that it finished its 19th consecutive year as the No. 1 cable news network. But in January, Fox reported monthly ratings that fell behind both of its main cable news competitors, CNN and MSNBC, for the first time in 20 years. Even Fox's prime-time opinion juggernaut of Hannity, Ingraham and Tucker Carlson had a smaller combined audience than their CNN competitors did last month.

And, unlike its rivals, Fox News had a worse January than it did a year ago. While CNN was up 128 percent in total viewers in prime time for the month, and MSNBC was up 53 percent, Fox was down 13 percent compared with a year earlier...

Do you suppose a simple and logical explanation is that that Democrats try to avoid super-spreading events, and Trump supporters don't?
Trump fans hate Fox now for Chris Wallace and for calling Arizona on election night for Biden.

They moved to Newsmaxx and OANN. Newsmaxx is on their shitlist after this recent interview though:

Where the anchors admitted there was no proof of voter fraud.

So I guess it's just social media, YouTubers and OANN left.

Why did Biden have rallies at all then?

Do you have any evidence at all that Trump supporters comprised of a disproportionate amount of infected/positive covid patients or that they were filling these hospitals that everyone told us about?

Don't worry, I am not resuming the topic. Maybe just1morething agrees and wishes to elaborate or continue that angle. Anyone can argue that point, it doesn't have to be me.

Take care.

Perhaps a little more hope...? Kinda shows what Republican politicians really think about Trumpism when they can vote behind closed doors.

Cheney holds on to House GOP leadership position amid furor over impeachment vote

Liz Cheney, the third-highest-ranking Republican in the House, held on to her title as House GOP conference chair during a secret ballot held on Wednesday. -- Three sources told NBC News the secret ballot among among Republican House members was 145-61...

... Cheney, a frequent critic of Trump and his rhetoric, said at the time, "There has never been a greater betrayal by a president of the United States of his office and his oath to the Constitution. I will vote to impeach the President."

The lopsided vote to keep Cheney in leadership, despite her vote to impeach Trump, signals a hidden disenchantment with the former president in the House GOP ranks. The impeachment vote was public, meaning lawmakers would be held accountable by their party's voters for their position. But the Cheney vote was a secret ballot, freeing lawmakers to vote their preference without fear of repercussion....​

That guy has a big time vendetta against Trump, who apparently embarrassed him on Air Force 1, so he says. How about the 11 hours of testimonies on election irregularities? Actually I don't want to rehash it. Biden is the President whether it was an honest election or not. Trump drew big crowds at his rallies, Biden was lucky to draw flies.
Oh man, I am sorry. I didn't mean to ruffle your feathers. The guy actually didn't speak disparagingly of Trump, it was a more a conversation about changes in the Republican Party. Doesn't matter. Don't take this stuff so seriously if you can, it's good to step away when stressed. Imagine in 1963 people freaking about JFK being shot and now that's a distant memory or unknown to the younger generation. It's not fun witnessing our nation cleavage and in so much hurt... it is what it is.

Anyways, I hope you're good. You mentioned you like old Columbo reruns, I am guilty of being a Conan O'Brien devotee and sometimes check out his old shows. We went to the same school and the Boston Irish wit and his quirky self deprecating humor is something I grew up with.

I watched the 1980 Lake Placid USA hockey the other day and broke down crying, remember that?

Take care just1morething.

Maybe somewhat, but Biden was in his basement most of the time. Some of the blue states had as bad or worse infestations of the virus despite them being stricter on wearing face masks. It was an election year and I suppose Trump didn't want the economy in lockdown if possible. He said the cure can't be worse than the problem.

According to mainstream media (mainly left wing) Trump was way behind in the polls so he had to have rallies to have a chance. Anyway we got vaccines now, so hopefully we're on our way to the end of COVID-19 this year.

Trump fans hate Fox now for Chris Wallace and for calling Arizona on election night for Biden.

They moved to Newsmaxx and OANN. Newsmaxx is on their shitlist after this recent interview though:

Newsmaxx had to stop the interview. They basically kicked off my pillow dude because they are facing litigation if they lie now. Everybody is shutting up and retracting themselves publicly now, albeit quiet. Even Cruz was admitting he knew it was over a few days after the election. Way too little too late, so many millions bought into the lies that they were fed, impossible to undo that.

Way too little too late, so many millions bought into the lies that they were fed, impossible to undo that.
Prominent Senators said there was fraud. One of them wanted to repeal Biden's reinstatement of taxpayer funded abortions. Do you really think someone with those kind of ethics would lie? What are you smoking my friend? Once the state's certify, it's very hard to overturn the results, regardless if there was fraud. You've seen the early morning Biden spikes in 4 swing states in the early morning hours of November 4th. A lot of Trump supporters voted by mail too you know because of the pandemic.

Advocating for Sanctity of Life | Senator Rand Paul

I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution.

Prominent Senators said there was fraud. One of them wanted to repeal Biden's reinstatement of taxpayer funded abortions. Do you really think someone with those kind of ethics would lie? What are you smoking my friend? Once the state's certify, it's very hard to overturn the results, regardless if there was fraud. You've seen the early morning Biden spikes in 4 swing states in the early morning hours of November 4th. A lot of Trump supporters voted by mail too you know because of the pandemic.

I am 100% pro-life. I believe life begins at conception and that abortion takes the life of an innocent human being. It is the duty of our government to protect this life as a right guaranteed under the Constitution.
This is probably beyond the scope of this thread but the "life begins at conception", (when the embryos is just a few cells) argument is exactly why there are fights to restrict access to Plan B, a drug that could significantly reduce actual abortions (even in rape cases) in many cases.

If this idea were coded into law, IVF fertility treatments would have to be outlawed as there are extra embryos produced in the process and IUDs would as well (prevents the egg from attaching after fertilization).

The kicker is even with natural conception 33%-50% of all fertilized eggs fail to implant. That means that God himself must have designed a system where the act of trying to conceive results in the loss of life at conception nearly half the time.

What are the kind of things they do believe in?

Knowing a lot of them keep it to themselves in real life, but when it comes to online comment sections, then they dominate it with pure non-sense stuff about QAnon. They spam bullshit conspiracy theories like the great-whatever the fuck it is called and say Trump is saving the world.

I keep hearing people say that these accounts aren't serious and are just kids trolling looking for a reaction, however I met people that would be how your mom described them (angry conspiracy loons). I mean, I met flat earthers before who say climate change is a hoax, but I just never lived in an area where they're common and very open about their beliefs.

So I'm wondering, when they're in a environment they're comfortable with expressing their conspiracy theories, what kind of crazy shit do they believe in?

I wonder if the fans of NewsMaxx here (who keep telling us to watch them all the time) would boycott them now, or at the very least stop telling me to watch them.

I would laugh if OANN followed the same route.

What are the kind of things they do believe in?

Knowing a lot of them keep it to themselves in real life, but when it comes to online comment sections, then they dominate it with pure non-sense stuff about QAnon. They spam bullshit conspiracy theories like the great-whatever the fuck it is called and say Trump is saving the world.

I keep hearing people say that these accounts aren't serious and are just kids trolling looking for a reaction, however I met people that would be how your mom described them (angry conspiracy loons). I mean, I met flat earthers before who say climate change is a hoax, but I just never lived in an area where they're common and very open about their beliefs.

So I'm wondering, when they're in a environment they're comfortable with expressing their conspiracy theories, what kind of crazy shit do they believe in?
My mom is 10/10 introverted. She could live 300 miles from the nearest neighbor and be fine so if someone starts talking nonsense she just leaves and doesn't get all the details.

But the neighbor she has has complained to me about the most (that she used to bake things for and got along with previously) repeatedly says to her that God ordained Trump to be president therefore it has to be fraud that he lost because "God would only move people's hearts towards truth in the voting booth" or something like that.

The thing that gets her the most (because she has genetic heart condition that puts her at risk) is the anti markers though, which she said are all the "Trump loons". She avoids them but that's what really bothers her above everything else because it potentially affects her personally.

Fox is being sued for billions for blatantly and this is key knowingly false statements about the election and voting machines which resulted in smartmatic losing contracts and death threats against employees. The evidence is really damning. Check out this Twitter thread, it explains the case really well:

Screenshot 2021-02-05 at 2.31.16.png

No worries buddy, I won't try and convince you of all that jazz, and no, I haven't been smoking but miss tobacco so much. Mixed with weed is nice too!

Take care J1mt. Rand Paul will likely be President one day... that's when I start smoking again.
Peace Out

Fox is being sued for billions for blatantly and this is key knowingly false statements about the election and voting machines which resulted in smartmatic losing contracts and death threats against employees. The evidence is really damning. Check out this Twitter thread, it explains the case really well:

View attachment 43179
Texas has three times rejected use of ballot counting software from the company Dominion Voting Systems (DVS), according to a report from the Secretary of State's (SOS) office dated January of this year.

The report of review for the latest software, "Democracy Suite 5.5-A," by Deputy Secretary of State Jose Esparza states, "Specifically, the examiner reports raise concerns about whether the Democracy Suite 5.5-A system is suitable for its intended purpose; operates efficiently and accurately; and is safe from fraudulent or unauthorized manipulation."

Texas Rejected Use of Dominion Voting System Software Due to Efficiency Issues

Texas has three times rejected use of ballot counting software from the company Dominion Voting Systems (DVS), according to a report from the Secretary of State's (SOS) office dated January of this year.

The report of review for the latest software, "Democracy Suite 5.5-A," by Deputy Secretary of State Jose Esparza states, "Specifically, the examiner reports raise concerns about whether the Democracy Suite 5.5-A system is suitable for its intended purpose; operates efficiently and accurately; and is safe from fraudulent or unauthorized manipulation."

Texas Rejected Use of Dominion Voting System Software Due to Efficiency Issues
You didn't read the link, did you?

So far, Joe Biden has done alright as President for now. A lot of spending, but probably needed to be done.

Republicans have a long war if they want to regain majority in the US Senate and US House of Representatives in 2022.

If Republicans want to win in the 2022 elections, the Republican Senators and House of Representatives that have said utter trash about certain things or supported the US Capitol attack need to resign.

That is the only way for Republicans to move on and revitalise the party. Until you get rid of these Senators and House of Representatives no one will be voting for them.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now