8 Long Years With Pulsatile Tinnitus

Discussion in 'Support' started by mynamewastaken, Feb 25, 2014.

1. kdckid

kdckid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      Hey all,
      I'm 19 and have been experiencing unilateral pulsatile tinnitus for over a month now and it's driving me absolutely crazy. I saw an ENT and got a CT scan done with contrast. The doctor said I was all fine and healthy and there is nothing he can do...is there anything I can do???

2. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Hi, @kdckid,

I'm so sorry you're experiencing pulsatile tinnitus. I know what you're going through, because I have unilateral pulsatile tinnitus, too, along with regular tinnitus. There are so many possible causes for PT, and you were wise to go to your ENT to be checked out, just to rule out any serious problems. Do you have any idea what might have caused it to begin? Any illnesses leading up to the start of the PT, or any injuries to the ear or to the head? Do you also have regular tinnitus, and if so, for how long?

Yes, there are some things you can do. If the PT is really bothering you, you could go to another type of doctor for a second opinion. A neurotologist or neurologist might be more knowledgeable about the causes of pulsatile tinnitus, and might suggest another test, such as an MRI and MRA with contrast, or an MRV. In cases that warrant it, a doctor might prescribe a cerebral angiogram. Although it does come with some risks, it is considered the "gold standard" of tests to diagnose any serious problems that could be causing the PT.

The tests I've had so far include a CT scan, MRI/MRA, and Doppler of the carotid arteries. I've been to several neurotologists, and none were able to find anything. I've had PT for over five years now, and am living with it. At first, it was horrible, and I couldn't sleep, couldn't concentrate, and couldn't do much of anything. But now, it has kind of settled down, and I am finding it easier to cope. I keep myself busy all the time, so that I don't think about it so much during the day. At night, I take magnesium chloride tablets about an hour before bedtime, and they calm me and help me sleep.

I hope some of this information is helpful to you. You're welcome to PM me at any time, to discuss it, or just for moral support!! I'll be interested to hear how you are doing.

Best wishes,
      Karen

3. kdckid

kdckid Member

Tinnitus Since:
      09/2016
      I only have the pulsatile. I called a different doctor today to get a second opinion and am going in the next two weeks. I have no idea what caused it, it suddenly started in September...

4. Karen
      Talkative

Karen Manager Staff Benefactor Hall of Fame

Tinnitus Since:
      05/2010
      Cause of Tinnitus:
      First time: Noise 2nd Time: Ototoxic drug
      Good for you! I'm glad you're going to get a second opinion. Since yours just started, it's possible that it could end up going away, or getting calmer, on its own.

Please update us after you see the second doctor, and good luck!

5. lindsasaurus

lindsasaurus Member

Tinnitus Since:
      Dec 2015
      Do you have an update Mynamewastaken?? Did it work?