• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Acoustic Trauma from a Concert — Ear Fullness Triggered by Sound?

My hearing is a bit more balanced now, but I still have a feeling of fullness in both ears. Sometimes I can relieve it slightly. It feels as if something is tightening around the eardrum.

The audiogram doesn't show any significant dips, so I hope the pressure will ease over time. As for the tinnitus, it's hard to say if it's the same as before, given the sensations I'm experiencing today.
OK, but is the fullness you're experiencing a new setback? I remember you mentioned in another thread that the fullness had disappeared for you before, or am I mistaken?

I'm also curious—if someone has no hearing loss, no hidden hearing loss, and only hyperacusis (with tinnitus) as a result of an acoustic trauma, could the cause just be a mild cochlear inflammation? A more significant inflammation would likely have caused damaged hair cells and, as a result, hearing loss.

Hyperacusis alone can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including muffled hearing, ear fullness, and, of course, its hallmark—hypersensitivity to high-frequency sounds. For example, I hear birds chirping high in the air and cars braking ten times louder than a person speaking on the other side of the road.

I'm now 9 weeks past my second acoustic trauma. These are tough times, but I never lose my positivity. Life is still beautiful, even with this devastating condition that can give you dark thoughts and cause isolation from reality. It's as if you've entered another universe, moving through the streets in a bubble.

@billie48 shared one of the most inspiring success stories. If you haven't read it yet, you should. He never gave up hope, and as he said, "by the grace of God," he returned to normality—or, let's say, reality—after a year.

I hope I can say the same someday. I can say that my faith in God is strong, and it helps me keep going.

OK, but is the fullness you're experiencing a new setback? I remember you mentioned in another thread that the fullness had disappeared for you before, or am I mistaken?

I'm also curious—if someone has no hearing loss, no hidden hearing loss, and only hyperacusis (with tinnitus) as a result of an acoustic trauma, could the cause just be a mild cochlear inflammation? A more significant inflammation would likely have caused damaged hair cells and, as a result, hearing loss.

Hyperacusis alone can cause a wide variety of symptoms, including muffled hearing, ear fullness, and, of course, its hallmark—hypersensitivity to high-frequency sounds. For example, I hear birds chirping high in the air and cars braking ten times louder than a person speaking on the other side of the road.

I'm now 9 weeks past my second acoustic trauma. These are tough times, but I never lose my positivity. Life is still beautiful, even with this devastating condition that can give you dark thoughts and cause isolation from reality. It's as if you've entered another universe, moving through the streets in a bubble.

@billie48 shared one of the most inspiring success stories. If you haven't read it yet, you should. He never gave up hope, and as he said, "by the grace of God," he returned to normality—or, let's say, reality—after a year.

I hope I can say the same someday. I can say that my faith in God is strong, and it helps me keep going.
Yes, I'm currently experiencing a new setback with this ear fullness.

The last major setback was in 2014, and it took a long time to return to normal levels—over 8 months.

I hope it improves again, even though I'm now 50 years old. I'm afraid, but I'm trying to stay positive.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now