• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Acoustic Trauma from Unexpected AR-15 Gunfire — Tinnitus, Ear Fullness, Distortion, & Hyperacusis

samatx

Author
Apr 7, 2022
Tinnitus Since
04/2022
Cause of Tinnitus
Gun Shot
Hi all. As of writing this I am horrified for my future but it feels like the people around me don't recognize how vulnerable of a place I am in. I have already struggled with chronic health conditions and depression/anxiety for years, but only as of the last couple of months I've finally gotten to a good place. Great job I love, incredible partner, living in my favorite city on earth and doing the things I love.

On April 1, I went to a ranch where my Dad and brother were staying for a hunt. They are avid hunters, but I am not - I just went to spend time with family after a long two years of not seeing them due to distance and COVID-19. I always use hearing protection, and was sure to bring it in case of gunfire. But at one point we were walking outside, and someone to my right unexpectedly saw a critter of some sort in the woods and thought it necessary enough to fire their AR-15 (I know - why does anyone even have those anyway) right next to my ear. I was able to block my right ear with my finger but as I was holding something in my left I wasn't able to protect my left ear.

This resulted in immediate acoustic trauma - ringing, fullness, pressure, and temporary hearing loss - in my left ear. I knew it was bad but had no idea how bad it would get. Almost week out, I now have loud ringing 24/7, intermittent fullness that worsens with sound exposure, distortion (high pitched tones are suddenly popping out of things that used to sound totally normal), and hyperacusis (everything sounds like the volume is cranked up). Not to mention the panic and delirium. I feel like my life has been taken from me in an instant. I can't eat and can already feel my relationship with my partner struggling because I need so much support and it's compromising our healthy boundaries.

I know it's naive to simply ask for affirmation that it's going to go away and get better because it might not. But how do I keep from giving up. I already crawled up from the brink of suicide and now I feel closer to it than ever. I have a few Valium pills from previous panic episodes, and they do help the anxiety, but I can't live on them as I know benzo withdrawal is its own animal. I am lost for words and am just trying to see a path forward for myself.

Hello, I'm sorry this happened to you.

I've read on here a quite a few success stories from acoustic trauma caused by gunfire. It does get better. Just continue to try and stay positive and protect your ears. Stay away from earbuds or headphones. Try everything you can to get good sleep.

I hope for your quick recovery.

Hi man. Shitty. Sorry this moron did this to you.

I have taken some comfort in knowing how many musicians have had this and still went on to deal with it. There are plenty of YouTube of people that have been on the brink but learned to accept some of it and treat it a bit with pink noise. It also seems to usually get better over time if your smart about it.

I think maybe on option might be to get passionate about some visual art, writing, poetry or other things. It seems hopeless now but you need some time, you can really get better over time. Get some good ear plugs, try to not isolate yourself, get out and do as much has you can even if you have to skip loud stuff for a while.

The list of popular musicians that have this is amazing. It is very common.

These forums aren't always the best place as severe hyperacusis is pretty rare statistically, but of course some bad cases are out there posting, while the majority are not on here sharing their improvements.

Many people that are disabled compensate in some way and get good at something. Try that for now, and maybe when this gets better you will have a new skill/career you didn't know was in you.

You can still enjoy a walk in nature, your partner, all sorts of stuff. People with chronic pain are everywhere and there are people dying all around us of cancer or whatever, so you can have a bit of perspective. We can also consider this an annoyance no matter how intense it is, we still have lots left and there is always hope that any day now they will have a treatment, because why not?

Hi @samatx, and welcome to the forum.

I understand how you feel but don't despair because noise-induced tinnitus usually improves with time. You are in the very early stages. Please click on the links below and read my posts: New to Tinnitus, What to Do? Tinnitus, A Personal View. If you are able to print them please do so and refer to them often. This way you will absorb and retain the information better than reading on a screen.

I suggest that you do not listen to audio through any type of headphones even at low volume. This includes earbuds, AirPods and headsets, as there's a risk of making the tinnitus worse.

Tinnitus can make a person feel stressed in the early stages so talk to your family doctor about this. Try to avoid being in a quiet room and surroundings during the day and especially at night as this can make the brain focus more on the tinnitus. It is a good idea to use low level sound enrichment, more about this is explained in the links below.

All the best,
Michael.

New to Tinnitus, What to Do? | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum
Tinnitus, A Personal View | Tinnitus Talk Support Forum

Although it is a little over a week, you may still be in the time period for steroids. You also have hearing loss, so that kind of indicates the use of steroids. Ask your ENT or doctor asap what they think and if they can prescribe it. It is one of the few things that can help hearing loss and maybe your tinnitus too. Beware the side effects of prednisone can be hard to handle, especially when you are pretty stressed out. Make sure to keep this in mind if you take it.

What other chronic conditions do you have? How old are you? Do you have the tinnitus in 1 or 2 ears?

I would suggest that you isolate yourself (other than medical appointments) for a month, stay away from noise and sounds and give your ears a chance to heal. My advice is to refuse all tests that involve pumping noise or sounds into your ears, like ENTs often want to do. Additional trauma (even if minor like from everyday activities) can either make things worse or prevent healing. You know what caused the problem so there is no need for an MRI or other tests that check for tumors. Also, no TV, no music, no machines, no stores. Get some reading material and just chill. If you need to take time off from work to do that, then do so. After a time, then start to get back into normal life, but make liberal use of hearing protection.

I would also get in touch with an audiologist that specializes in tinnitus and has experience with hyperacusis. Do it now since appointments can be booked months ahead.

It won't be quick or easy, but things will most likely improve a lot over time, so hang on to that.

Hi all - update after the weekend. Good news and bad news.

The bad first - turns out the relationship strain I mentioned actually existed because my partner was cheating on me, lying about it, and upon confronting her left me after three years of an incredible relationship. So that is a whole different issue unrelated to the acoustic trauma but it is more to grieve and my mental health has dipped even lower than before.

Now the good - the tinnitus loudness is noticeably lower and hyperacusis improved (but not gone). Whereas at the beginning of last week, even showers were unbearable noise-wise, I can now take them without discomfort and listen to music through speakers at a low volume. Some speaking voices are still too loud as well as clanking silverware, etc, but I have more confidence that it will continue to improve. I've also noticed that my anxiety about sounds being too loud is EXTREMELY tied to my experience of them. When I tense my facial muscles and mind in expectation of noise being too loud it immediately creates discomfort and my experience of the sound is louder than if I don't. Spending less time on these forums and working with an audiologist that specializes in tinnitus and hyperacusis - listening to her advice rather than that of those online - has helped considerably.

It has been 9 days since the gun shot, so still very early. I feel positive that if this much improvement occurred over one week (even with all the life stress which is probably making it worse), I can still recover over time.

What other chronic conditions do you have? How old are you? Do you have the tinnitus in 1 or 2 ears?
Still only 25! I was able to protect my right ear so no ringing there, the tinnitus is only in the left ear. The sensitivity to noise and aural fullness are in both ears though.

Hi all. As of writing this I am horrified for my future but it feels like the people around me don't recognize how vulnerable of a place I am in. I have already struggled with chronic health conditions and depression/anxiety for years, but only as of the last couple of months I've finally gotten to a good place. Great job I love, incredible partner, living in my favorite city on earth and doing the things I love.

On April 1, I went to a ranch where my Dad and brother were staying for a hunt. They are avid hunters, but I am not - I just went to spend time with family after a long two years of not seeing them due to distance and COVID-19. I always use hearing protection, and was sure to bring it in case of gunfire. But at one point we were walking outside, and someone to my right unexpectedly saw a critter of some sort in the woods and thought it necessary enough to fire their AR-15 (I know - why does anyone even have those anyway) right next to my ear. I was able to block my right ear with my finger but as I was holding something in my left I wasn't able to protect my left ear.

This resulted in immediate acoustic trauma - ringing, fullness, pressure, and temporary hearing loss - in my left ear. I knew it was bad but had no idea how bad it would get. Almost week out, I now have loud ringing 24/7, intermittent fullness that worsens with sound exposure, distortion (high pitched tones are suddenly popping out of things that used to sound totally normal), and hyperacusis (everything sounds like the volume is cranked up). Not to mention the panic and delirium. I feel like my life has been taken from me in an instant. I can't eat and can already feel my relationship with my partner struggling because I need so much support and it's compromising our healthy boundaries.

I know it's naive to simply ask for affirmation that it's going to go away and get better because it might not. But how do I keep from giving up. I already crawled up from the brink of suicide and now I feel closer to it than ever. I have a few Valium pills from previous panic episodes, and they do help the anxiety, but I can't live on them as I know benzo withdrawal is its own animal. I am lost for words and am just trying to see a path forward for myself.
Try to get a doctor prescription for Prednisone ASAP. It might help with your noise trauma. It is not too late...

Still only 25! I was able to protect my right ear so no ringing there, the tinnitus is only in the left ear. The sensitivity to noise and aural fullness are in both ears though.
Glad to hear. You'll probably be normal and never back here again lol.

Gunshot trauma always resolves unless you're an idiot rocking out to full auto magnum shotgun blasts naked ears.

Steroids are kinda on the fence with this stuff. A single and tapered course would be appropriate. No more.

Hi all - update on my hyperacusis and tinnitus after almost 4 months.

Months one and two were horrifyingly bad. I couldn't leave my house for the majority of that time. However, I did make steady (albeit slow) progress, and was able to go to places like restaurants with earplugs by the end of the second month. I even went to a house party (not too loud) around the end of month two and an outdoor concert, both with earplugs of course. I worked with Dr. Tracey Holcolm at Treble Health throughout this process. Though my symptoms were very bad, I did feel that eventually I would mostly recover. Unfortunately, around that two month mark I had a significant worsening of symptoms, as I got COVID-19 and a subsequent ear infection. This increased my tinnitus, added static tones, worsened my ear pressure significantly, and worst of all, caused daily ear pain that was exacerbated by noise. Pain included aching, burning, stabbing, itching, and occasionally shooting pain that would radiate down my jaw. It took a course of amoxicillin and a month and a half of waiting, staying inside, etc. to heal.

LUCKILY, since I recovered from COVID-19, my symptoms have steadily decreased. My tinnitus is now very manageable, only increasing to a 4 or 5 in my worst moments. I would say 90% of the time it isn't noticeable, though if I go into a room with no white noise it is still pretty pronounced. I keep noise on pretty much 24/7 in my apartment. Distortions are also completely gone.

And best of all, my hyperacusis symptoms have reduced to the point that I can live a fairly normal life. I still have a bit of loudness hyperacusis but no more pain hyperacusis, at least living the quiet life that I now live. And my aural pressure is greatly reduced. I no longer wear ear plugs at home but bring them if I go out to a restaurant or bar. Still not going to things like theaters or concerts - I am just happy to live the life I have now without pain and discomfort and don't want to risk compromising that. No headphones either. But I do listen to music at regular volumes in the car and over speakers all the time!

I'm sure with time, things will only improve as long as I continue to be cautious with my noise exposure. Thank you all for your support, I hope some of you are able to find some comfort in this update even if I'm not totally out of the woods.

Hi all - update on my hyperacusis and tinnitus after almost 4 months.

Months one and two were horrifyingly bad. I couldn't leave my house for the majority of that time. However, I did make steady (albeit slow) progress, and was able to go to places like restaurants with earplugs by the end of the second month. I even went to a house party (not too loud) around the end of month two and an outdoor concert, both with earplugs of course. I worked with Dr. Tracey Holcolm at Treble Health throughout this process. Though my symptoms were very bad, I did feel that eventually I would mostly recover. Unfortunately, around that two month mark I had a significant worsening of symptoms, as I got COVID-19 and a subsequent ear infection. This increased my tinnitus, added static tones, worsened my ear pressure significantly, and worst of all, caused daily ear pain that was exacerbated by noise. Pain included aching, burning, stabbing, itching, and occasionally shooting pain that would radiate down my jaw. It took a course of amoxicillin and a month and a half of waiting, staying inside, etc. to heal.

LUCKILY, since I recovered from COVID-19, my symptoms have steadily decreased. My tinnitus is now very manageable, only increasing to a 4 or 5 in my worst moments. I would say 90% of the time it isn't noticeable, though if I go into a room with no white noise it is still pretty pronounced. I keep noise on pretty much 24/7 in my apartment. Distortions are also completely gone.

And best of all, my hyperacusis symptoms have reduced to the point that I can live a fairly normal life. I still have a bit of loudness hyperacusis but no more pain hyperacusis, at least living the quiet life that I now live. And my aural pressure is greatly reduced. I no longer wear ear plugs at home but bring them if I go out to a restaurant or bar. Still not going to things like theaters or concerts - I am just happy to live the life I have now without pain and discomfort and don't want to risk compromising that. No headphones either. But I do listen to music at regular volumes in the car and over speakers all the time!

I'm sure with time, things will only improve as long as I continue to be cautious with my noise exposure. Thank you all for your support, I hope some of you are able to find some comfort in this update even if I'm not totally out of the woods.
Any updates?

Hi everyone, I wanted to give an update now 15 months post the acoustic trauma that started my journey with tinnitus and hyperacusis. I had hoped that one day I'd be able to share a "success story" and I think in some ways I can do that, though these conditions are much more nuanced than success or failure. They will change the way you live, and your approach to the world, and in many ways I'll never be the same person I was 15 months ago.

First, a bit of a summary. Beginning of last April, I was exposed to the sound of AR-15 gunfire without hearing protection while on a hunting trip with my Dad. The blast came unexpectedly when we were walking to the blind so I wasn't prepared with my earplugs at the time. I immediately developed deafness in both ears, which resolved after a few hours but was replaced with a loud tinnitus. Over the coming days, my noise tolerance plummeted and I also developed terrible distortions along with the multi toned tinnitus and burning pain in my ears. At the worst points of the acute stage, I was unable to tolerate people speaking at low volumes near me. Any white noise - AC, wind, fans - produced horrible distortions along with the loudness that made life unbearable. My ears burned like there was acid being poured into them when exposed to noise, along with constant aching and extreme pressure. For around 2 months, I was stuck in my room with minimal human contact wearing foam earplugs to stop the pain.

I started my healing journey by contacting Dr. Tracy Holcomb at Treble Health to set up some audiology appointments. She was instrumental in helping me recover, even if it was only due to having someone in my life that understood what I was going through and encouraged me each week even if progress was slow. In my opinion, having support is an essential first step in this journey with tinnitus, and if you can't get it from the people around you, turning to a professional could be a good option. She also explained noise therapy, which for me involved playing nature sounds at a low volume from a speaker, starting with only a few minutes a day and increasing my exposure slowly over time. Overall, I do think that in my case, noise exposure was important to my recovery, but it was essential that I took it at my own pace and let my ears rest when they needed it. I also got some custom earplugs made with 9, 15, and 25 dB attenuators so that once I was ready to begin going out again I could be prepared.

Over time, I was able to slowly see friends again. Then try going to quiet restaurants with my earplugs in, or going to the park. During this time I also became an avid biker as it was one of the only ways I could get out of the house. I rode on a nature trail with 33 dB foam earplugs in and over earmuffs on top of those 5-6 days a week. I feel that this was also essential in supporting my healing. After a few months, my distortions had mostly faded away, I no longer felt burning pain most days, the pressure had decreased, and my tinnitus was much more manageable. At one point a few months in, I had to put my recovery journey on something of a hold to take care of my mother back home in Illinois before she ultimately passed. Though it was a difficult month, I believe that the stress of that event actually helped my ears overall, as it shifted my focus away from the tinnitus and hyperacusis somewhat and allowed my fight or flight response to calm. I was able to shift from foam earplugs to using the 25 and 15 dB attenuators, and continued to listen to nature sounds over a speaker if I could (to this day I still don't touch headphones or in-ear devices).

Between my acoustic trauma in April 2022 and October 2022, I went from completely room bound essentially to enjoying time with friends again, even seeing movies at the theater and going to loud bars with hearing protection. My tinnitus was very manageable and I only felt pressure/pain if I overdid it. Unfortunately, I experienced a significant setback in October when I attended a wedding for a friend and they had all of the speakers set to what seemed like an uncanny volume. Even other people in the crowd were noticeably reacting to the volume when the officiant spoke. I didn't have earplugs in at the time as to that point, everything had been very quiet. But my ears were holding up well, so I *stupidly* thought I could handle it. I went through the rest of the night, including the reception with a band and the afterparty with friends, without my plugs. My ears felt great. Until I laid down in bed that night in a quiet room. That's when the tinnitus hit - multiple tones I had never heard before and dramatically increased volume. Over the next two weeks, it all came back. Horrible increased tinnitus, worsened ear aching and pressure, return of loudness hyperacusis, worse distortions than I had had even in the wake of my initial trauma. I went back to isolation and didn't know if I would make it out this time.

My second recovery journey post setback has not been nearly as linear as the first. I have had many smaller setbacks in the last 7 months, including COVID-19, a sinus infection, and an MRI (I was having nerve pain and weakness and needed to be tested for MS), all of which caused a worsening of my symptoms. There were times when I thought that the distortions and tinnitus would be with me forever this time around. Luckily, once again, I made progress. Now 15 months out, I still wear earplugs much of the day, though I often use only the 9 dB attenuators. I can again go to restaurants and bars, though I have not yet returned to louder activities like movie theaters or my beloved concerts, which I'm not sure I'll ever be able to attend again (I was a concert/event photographer prior to this injury so much has shifted in my professional life due to it). Honestly though, at this point I'm just thankful to be able to watch movies at home with my partner without being in pain. To get a meal with friends and not hear horrible distortions. I still hear my tinnitus, every day, all day, but I have largely re-habituated to the new baseline. I am not recovered, and I'm not sure I ever will be, but I am returning to a joyful life with my new limits in place. And I believe that there is further healing in store for me in the future.

I'm sure there are infinite details that I missed, but I wanted to re-affirm to everyone here that you CAN recover significantly from tinnitus and hyperacusis, including hyperacusis with pain. The most important thing in my opinion is that you listen to your body - do not push your ears past their comfort level - and find ways to support yourself emotionally, even when it feels like you aren't making any progress at all. I truly believe that time and positivity CAN make a difference in these conditions, even if ultimately not everyone makes the same recovery.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.

Feel free to ask any questions if you have them.
Sounds like a success story from my situation, of course all of this is subjective!

I've had tinnitus for 8 years and I suppose I should be thankful this is my first setback, stupidly raised tinnitus volume, multiple tones that some come and go while others have stayed. It has been like this for the last two months now. I think it started due to sinus inflammation but can't be certain. A month in I had an ear infection in the left ear for two weeks. Straight after that one 'cleared,' I've had an infection in the right ear for 2 weeks. This tinnitus malarkey is tiring.

Your story may not seem like success to you, but if I can get to the stage to being able to watch movies with my partner again, I'd consider it a success.

Thank you for coming back with the update, I hope you see even more progress in the future!

Thanks for the update. The recurring pattern of overconfidence and setbacks...

Hi @samatx,

Thanks for sharing your story & recovery with us so far! I've been dealing with loudness & pain hyperacusis, as well as reactive tinnitus, for over 7 months now, & admittedly it's been a real battle. I do have some questions for you if you wouldn't mind answering...

- When you initially started with sound therapy, did you listen through foam earplugs & then progress to the varying levels of musician's earplugs before you were able to listen without any protection? Or did you do this without using earplugs from the get-go?

Also, did you listen even if your ears were burning? I can't tolerate any artificial audio yet, as fullness starts building almost immediately & then burning starts to set in.

- Do you currently use earplugs indoors at all? Or do you only use them when going out?

- What was your experience like with the MRI, & how many months into your recovery journey were you at when you had the procedure? Did you locate a quiet MRI machine? I too am experiencing symptoms that I should have an MRI for, but am terribly worried about making my hyperacusis a lot worse, so haven't jumped on it.

- When you were ill (e.g., sinus infection), what meds did you use & what was your experience of them? Do you feel they made your tinnitus and/or hyperacusis worse?

- During your recovery journey, were you ever exposed to a fire alarm in your apartment while you weren't wearing ear plugs? If so, what was your experience of this like? I too live in an apartment & am terrified of the alarm going off!

I sincerely hope your recovery continues to trend in a positive direction :)

Sounds like a success story from my situation, of course all of this is subjective!

I've had tinnitus for 8 years and I suppose I should be thankful this is my first setback, stupidly raised tinnitus volume, multiple tones that some come and go while others have stayed. It has been like this for the last two months now. I think it started due to sinus inflammation but can't be certain. A month in I had an ear infection in the left ear for two weeks. Straight after that one 'cleared,' I've had an infection in the right ear for 2 weeks. This tinnitus malarkey is tiring.

Your story may not seem like success to you, but if I can get to the stage to being able to watch movies with my partner again, I'd consider it a success.

Thank you for coming back with the update, I hope you see even more progress in the future!
I'm sorry to hear about your setback, I know how difficult they can be, especially when you are in the acute phase and don't know if recovery can happen at all. Wishing you all the best in your continued recovery!
Thanks for the update. The recurring pattern of overconfidence and setbacks...
The crazy thing is, no matter how many times I read not to let it happen to me, I still managed to fall into the same pattern. I think it's just human nature to allow yourself to let your guard down when you start to feel safe. I mean, a few drinks in at a wedding surrounded by people you love, feeling good, having a great time? Perfect recipe for allowing yourself to feel a bit more safe than you should. Unfortunately it's something I had to learn by experience. Definitely won't be attending any events without my earplugs on hand in the future, regardless of how good my ears are feeling.
Hi @samatx,

Thanks for sharing your story & recovery with us so far! I've been dealing with loudness & pain hyperacusis, as well as reactive tinnitus, for over 7 months now, & admittedly it's been a real battle. I do have some questions for you if you wouldn't mind answering...

- When you initially started with sound therapy, did you listen through foam earplugs & then progress to the varying levels of musician's earplugs before you were able to listen without any protection? Or did you do this without using earplugs from the get-go?

Also, did you listen even if your ears were burning? I can't tolerate any artificial audio yet, as fullness starts building almost immediately & then burning starts to set in.

- Do you currently use earplugs indoors at all? Or do you only use them when going out?

- What was your experience like with the MRI, & how many months into your recovery journey were you at when you had the procedure? Did you locate a quiet MRI machine? I too am experiencing symptoms that I should have an MRI for, but am terribly worried about making my hyperacusis a lot worse, so haven't jumped on it.

- When you were ill (e.g., sinus infection), what meds did you use & what was your experience of them? Do you feel they made your tinnitus and/or hyperacusis worse?

- During your recovery journey, were you ever exposed to a fire alarm in your apartment while you weren't wearing ear plugs? If so, what was your experience of this like? I too live in an apartment & am terrified of the alarm going off!

I sincerely hope your recovery continues to trend in a positive direction :)
Sure, happy to answer to the best of my ability.

1. In the initial months following my acoustic trauma, artificial audio was a huge issue for me as well. What I learned during that time was that not all audio sources are created equal. Trying to listen to audio at even low levels from my phone or laptop was absolutely nauseating at first due to the pain and loudness, and was not possible for me. Even small speakers were too much. But using a large speaker with a less "tinny" quality felt softer on my ears. Additionally, not all sounds were possible for me to listen to comfortably, I had to go through a number of different sounds by trial and error to find ones that I could tolerate. So generally, my process for sound therapy involved playing tolerable sounds for me from Spotify (most frequently some soft bird chirping or streams flowing - white/brown/pink noise triggered my reactive t too severely at first) at a low level on a speaker with the least tinny sound quality I could find (I use a JBL Charge 4, but there are tons of options, that's just what I had already). I often did do this wearing my plugs, which at first were Eargasms from Amazon and then later my customs, but if my ears were feeling better I would try a bit at a time without them. What I did NOT do was listen through burning pain. If my ears were actively burning, I stopped the therapy and gave them time and silence to recover. I continued this process slowly increasing the time I listened to audio and increasing the volume according to comfort and had extremely gradual progress. I'm talking, not noticeable day to day, but maybe after 2-3 weeks noticing a bit of improvement.

2. Yes, I'll sometimes use my 9 dB plugs indoors still, though I wouldn't say I always need to. For me, one of my focuses is reducing anxiety and the fight or flight response around sound. So if a sound is triggering that for me, I'll just throw in my plugs. I don't beat myself up around using them, I just allow myself to if I need to and try not to wear them otherwise. When I go out, I will wear my plugs according to the amount of noise in the environment.

3. The MRI. I did worry a ton about getting it done. I called around and searched for a "quiet MRI" machine but everyone talked to me like I was crazy. Ultimately, unless you live somewhere with a ton of options, it's unlikely that you'll be able to find one. By all means look, but for me it was difficult. I ended up having the MRI in a regular 3 Tesla machine, which was very loud. It was only of the brain, so I would say it lasted 15 minutes tops. I would not sit in an MRI for 30-45 minutes personally, that would have been too much. I wore 33 dB foam plugs plus the over ears they provided. I felt ok immediately following the MRI, but that night I did experience a marked increase in my tinnitus which continued for another month or so. So yes, it made my symptoms worse. And no, it didn't ultimately show anything. But it didn't make them permanently worse for me, even in the loudest possible machine. I don't want to provide any advice on the subject, as everyone's needs are different - this was just my experience with it.

4. I have taken Amoxicillin with no issues post tinnitus/hyperacusis. Weirdly however, I found that I developed a new tinnitus tone and a permanent increase in tinnitus volume while on Augmentin. Those are the only antibiotics I've tried. I will say, sinus infections/COVID-19 alone did also increase my tinnitus, so its hard to say what I can attribute to the medications.

5. Fire alarm, yes, multiple times. I always plugged with my fingers as quickly as possible. Never noticed a setback or permanent change in my tinnitus or hyperacusis from them though.

I hope these answers are somewhat valuable for you!

Thanks for sharing those details @samatx! That's reassuring to hear that your ears survived fire alarms. Were these smoke detector alarms (the kind that you can turn off on your own oftentimes) or building-wide alarms (the type that tend to continue for a while)?

Thanks again!

I still hear my tinnitus, every day, all day, but I have largely re-habituated to the new baseline.
Thanks for sharing your story! If you can hear your tinnitus all day, wouldn't that mean that you haven't habituated? You said you worked with an audiologist, for them habituation means no emotional reaction to when you hear the noise? What if it interferes with your concentration?

Thanks for sharing those details @samatx! That's reassuring to hear that your ears survived fire alarms. Were these smoke detector alarms (the kind that you can turn off on your own oftentimes) or building-wide alarms (the type that tend to continue for a while)?

Thanks again!
Hmm, I would say I have experienced both. But the important thing is whichever one it is, make sure you put in your earplugs as quickly as possible to limit exposure. I feel pretty confident that extended exposure to fire alarms without earplugs would have definitely caused at least a small setback, if not worse.
Thanks for sharing your story! If you can hear your tinnitus all day, wouldn't that mean that you haven't habituated? You said you worked with an audiologist, for them habituation means no emotional reaction to when you hear the noise? What if it interferes with your concentration?
Hmm, I mean I guess. I'm sure different people have different ideas of what habituation means. When I said that I have mostly habituated to the sound, I just meant that the sound no long causes as much distress or distracts me most of the time. When I am busy doing things, concentrating on something etc. the sound just blends with all the other background noises. I don't have anxiety about it like I used to. Can still hear the sound though.

Hi all, I am unfortunately back with a new update and find myself genuinely baffled at the state my ears have reached.

Since my last post, I have continued to cycle between periods of relative normalcy and 1-2 week long spikes where I have to dial everything back. However, I had been able to largely avoid major setbacks.

That being said, over the last two weeks, my ears have worsened in something of a puzzling way. The strange thing is, this setback feels very different to previous ones. Typically during a setback/tinnitus spike, I experience a marked increase in tinnitus and sensitivity that dies down over about a week, with a clear noise trigger.

This time around, rather than having a single noise trigger, I experienced multiple small ones over the course of a couple of weeks. For example, I was exposed to the fire alarm in my apartment for a few beeps before being able to plug my ears, then a few days later dropped a water filter on the ground at it made a very loud banging noise. I also drove through a car wash without my plugs on hand and it was significantly louder than expected.

None of these noises in themselves caused significant pain or distress, but I felt a slight increase in sensitivity after each until eventually my ears reached their current state.

This time, though my tinnitus has remained strangely low, my sensitivity has increased in a very physical way. I am not experiencing a marked increase in loudness hyperacusis, like usual, but my ears are feeling significantly more brittle/fatigued. I wouldn't say I'm experiencing pain per say, but I'm definitely feeling an aching/worn down sensation in my ears accompanied by face and jaw discomfort/tightness. It feels like the muscles in my ears are tightened, I assume this is related to TTTS.

The other difference I've experienced with this setback is that my anxiety levels are SIGNIFICANTLY higher. Perhaps due to the physical symptoms, I've been more afraid of the development of worsened noxacusis, which I know firsthand can be severely disabling (though not nearly to the degree that others have experienced). However, I'm also nervous that my emotional response might be contributing to the severity of my sensitivity as well.

To rest or to push through? That is the question.

I generally always lean rest with a gradual reintegration process but unfortunately this year that might mean spending another Thanksgiving alone and having to tell my partner and her family that I can't come (her family has NINE dogs and they love to yell while watching football on the TV with the volume maxed out. lovely people but such a loud and unpredictable environment). What a bitch this condition is. Hoping after a few weeks the sensitivity and tightness will die back down. It always has in the past.

That being said, I'm generally feeling pretty depressed at my level of progress. I've gotten so close to 85-90% healed multiple times, just to have a setback and have to work my way back over a couple of weeks/months. Praying that 2024 brings some SUSTAINED progress for me. Not sure what it will take to get there but if anyone has advice on breaking that final ceiling of recovery please feel free to respond! Also feel free to reach out if anyone else is feeling extra down/alone during the holidays, I know how absolutely shit that feeling is.

Thanks for another update. I'm so sorry for you.

Again, to think, one stupid shot took you out, i.e. set on this path of misery. It should be nothing, right?

I was a little bit around guns in my childhood going shooting or hunting with my father. Not a whole lot, but I'd guess I had a shotgun or a rifle fired next me (or I fired it) like 20-30 times overall (over multiple instances, not one time). Maybe more, I don't remember, I was not that much into it. But I even once accidentally fired a rifle inside our house! No tinnitus ever then, or any other time firing guns, even for a second, until my acoustic trauma early this year. My father hunted his whole life and I never saw him use hearing protection or heard him ever complain of any hearing related issues (neither my mother remembers any of that).

So I keep wondering, why all the people I have met here, why I never met any of you earlier in real life... is it so rare? What gives? What is that special "trigger"? I met some folks later, a few with bothersome tinnitus allegedly, but they seem to be doing alright.

In my case, my theory is that I was still recovering from a cold/sinus infection (probably not COVID-19, tested negative), which made me more susceptible to the damage. But I can't know for sure.

Did you have anything going on at the time of gun incident? Maybe you got something after traveling to your folks' place (flight?), etc, not even being aware of it. Or maybe it is just the "accumulation" of damage, you're ok, ok, ok, ... until you are not. It's hard to believe it's that.

To rest or to push through? That is the question.
Reading your previous posts, I see that you have been making progress, then at some point you seem to have a setback which has happened more than once. This up and down yo-yo effect isn't good for someone that has noise-induced tinnitus. There could be one or more reasons for this and therefore, I will only make suggestions purely intended for guidance for you to think about.

Noise-induced tinnitus with or without hyperacusis will usually improve with time, this can take up to 18 months, sometimes a little longer. The good news is, the improvement can take place with or without seeing an audiologist for specialist treatment. It all depends how severe the condition is for the individual and the impact it has on their mental and emotional wellbeing. Please keep in mind that no two people will experience noise-induced tinnitus the same, although they will share some similarities.

One of the main reasons a person goes back and forth during the habituation process, is the tendency to think they are cured and nothing can go wrong which is a false belief. They may want to return to their old lifestyle and listen to audio through headphones at low volume, or go to places where loud music is played, thinking the wearing of noise-reducing earplugs will make it completely safe which is not necessarily the case - if external sound is loud enough, it will pass through the head and be transferred to the inner ear by bone conduction and could spike the tinnitus causing a setback during the habituation process or make the tinnitus worse!

Some people overprotect their ears using noise-reducing earplugs resulting in lowering the loudness threshold of the auditory system and thus, making their ears more sensitive to sound. This can make hyperacusis worse over time. I have covered this in more detail in my thread: Hyperacusis, As I See It.

One of the best ways to treat noise-induced tinnitus is with self-help, using low-level sound enrichment during the day and especially at night by placing a sound machine at the bedside. Please go to my started threads and read the posts: The Habituation Process, How to Habituate to Tinnitus. If you are feeling stressed then talk to your GP/PCP as it needs to be managed. Stress can make tinnitus worse and tinnitus makes stress worse, it can become a vicious cycle if it's not kept under control.

Go back to basics and start using low-level sound enrichment during the day and at night. Try not to overuse hearing protection, and if you have been listening to audio through any type of headphones, I advise that you stop doing so.

Give it time and hopefully you will start to feel better.

Michael

Hi all, just updating this thread to let you know that I will be giving my best effort at recovering utilizing the DNRS program over the coming months. This is a program that has been used by some others here on Tinnitus Talk with great success (@Marin is the main member that comes to mind), and it is similar to strategies used by others that I have encountered.

Essentially, the idea of DNRS is utilizing neuroplasticity to rewire the body's limbic response and reduce central sensitization. I have come to the conclusion based on many, many hours of reading along with my own personal experience that hyperacusis is in many cases (perhaps not all) a product of central sensitization. This is not to say that it is all in our heads, I have suffered far too much very real pain and sensitivity to believe this. It is, however, the belief that the cause of this pain is not sound itself, but the brain's activation of the nervous system in response to sound. By rewiring the limbic system of the brain, the idea is that the nervous system can calm and stop sending pain signals to the body in response to sound exposure.

Every case of significant healing that I have seen on Tinnitus Talk and elsewhere has consisted of some degree of gentle graded exposure alongside positive neural reframing. I do believe that in some instances the ears are simply too damaged to heal right away and need time and rest, but I also know that I have personally felt this way about my own ears before seeing significant improvement over months following. So, I am choosing to believe, despite experiencing hyperacusis with pain, reactive tinnitus, dysacusis, and more that I can recover.

During my time in this program, I will be stepping away from Tinnitus Talk in order to keep my focus on positive steps in my recovery. However, I will absolutely return periodically to update you in the case that I gain any valuable insights from this experience.

So far, I have finished all of the video modules of the program, which took about a week, but already I can say that the core principles are extremely relatable to me and my experience with tinnitus/hyperacusis. I genuinely feel that the practices explained in the program can and will be a key in my long term recovery process and I am excited to dig into the daily practices.

Until next time, I hope that you all take care and don't give up hope. I have been so close to doing so many times since this journey began 18 months ago. But always I have persevered and I know the strength required to do so is immense. I believe that there is a great life out there for all of us, and that it is truly attainable, even if incredibly difficult to reach. I hope that some day soon I will reach that for myself. And I hope that for all of you as well. Sending you all my love.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now