AM-101 TACTT1 Results Released

Sorry to hear this. I was hoping you'd have great news to share. So it dosent work then :-(

From what Ive heard an increase in the first couple of weeks is normal, partially because your ear is stuffed with gel and it takes time for it to absorb. What we dont know though is whether it works for chronic sufferers or not. James is an interesting example, because he has had it for a year and is considered chronic I think.

When did you receive the injections? Are you still getting them? The increase seems to be normal

The last injection was just yesterday and yeah, i guess it's normal, everyone says it increases so i'm not worried at all.

This morning the hearing is a little better but the ringing is the same.

My middle ear is so stuffed with this gel that some of it came out from the eardrum while inserting it. I guess my tinnitus is chronic yeah, the thing is i had 2 trauma to my left ear 2 years apart, first trauma i didn't have tinnitus after it.

Sorry to hear this. I was hoping you'd have great news to share. So it dosent work then :-(

A lot of people have reported that they get much worse (higher tinnitus, decreased hearing, fullnes etc) after the injection, before they get better. And we also don't know if James has gotten the real thing or the placebo so let's just be patient.

The last injection was just yesterday and yeah, i guess it's normal, everyone says it increases so i'm not worried at all.

My middle ear is so stuffed with this gel that some of it came out from the eardrum while inserting it. I guess my tinnitus is chronic yeah, the thing is i had 2 trauma to my left ear 2 years apart, first trauma i didn't have tinnitus after it.

do you mind sharing with us your secret on how to traumatize one ear only? :)

do you mind sharing with us your secret on how to traumatize one ear only? :)

first time i was standing like 5cm next to a PA that made a feedback loop (larsen) and i was standing sideways to it. that was painfully loud... and the 2nd time same thing, i was tuning the equaliser on an old amp, standing sideways and someone plugged in a microKORG synth (brilliant synth by the way) and that made a very very strange loud noise...

Well, for any of you who were wondering, I just applied and was turned down for the following reasons:

1) Idiopathic causes are not allowed in the study.
2) Evidently, the US studies are still limited to <= 3 month onset.

Took 47 minutes to get a reply, so they must be in high gear!

A little disappointing, but at least this stops me from having to withdraw from the plasticity study I'm waiting to start. I still have high hopes for the chiropractic work I've been receiving.

Well, for any of you who were wondering, I just applied and was turned down for the following reasons:

1) Idiopathic causes are not allowed in the study.
2) Evidently, the US studies are still limited to <= 3 month onset.

Took 47 minutes to get a reply, so they must be in high gear!

A little disappointing, but at least this stops me from having to withdraw from the plasticity study I'm waiting to start. I still have high hopes for the chiropractic work I've been receiving.

That's too bad. When you say idiopathic, you're not sure what caused it? How is anyone really sure? I'm not sure what caused mine, but I'm guessing it was years of listening to fairly loud headphones. But I don't know that. My hearing test came out okay, I think, but I couldn't really understand my Chinese audiologist's explanation at all as to my score. Literally didn't follow a word she said. Which is not good, I need to get a 2nd opinion on that.

So they're only looking for people with distinct, more or less direct causes, like a gunshot or a severe ear infection? Also, is it only limited to 'intrusive' cases?

Mine may have been a head injury -- but I can't actually remember if the head injury was before or after the tinnitus.
It may have been a neck injury -- but I can't actually remember if the neck injury was before or after the tinnitus.
It may have been years of moderate volume talk radio -- that, at least, was definitely before the tinnitus.

It may have been the first time Elsa sings, "Let it go!" in Frozen. Unfortunately, I'm perfectly serious about that. That was the weekend before my symptoms started up and I distinctly remember jerking my head up when she hit the high note. If I knew for sure, maybe I could get Disney to pony up for the distress!

But yeah, idiopathic. Auris wants a definite traumatic event for the trial. Reviewer was very polite and hoped I found help somewhere. I bear no ill will. Nobody said "intrusive", though. I'd say that's totally subjective.

@James White How are you hanging in there buddy? Any developments to report?

@James White How are you hanging in there buddy? Any developments to report?

Thanks for pinging me @Hudson
Well, general health wise, pretty good, just fell off my BMX an hour ago and my hands hurt lol

Ear wise, tinnitus is still pretty louder than usual but it's the same sound/frequency, ear still crackling, i guess this is due to the fluid in the middle ear... i'm going back on wednesday for a checkup. haven't washed my hair for 7 days because of the risk of having water in my eardrum...

haven't washed my hair for 7 days because of the risk of having water in my eardrum...

images.jpg

Well, general health wise, pretty good, just fell off my BMX an hour ago and my hands hurt lol

Ear wise, tinnitus is still pretty louder than usual but it's the same sound/frequency, ear still crackling, i guess this is due to the fluid in the middle ear... i'm going back on wednesday for a checkup. haven't washed my hair for 7 days because of the risk of having water in my eardrum...

Didn't they provide you with those rubber Auris earplugs to wear in the shower? I would imagine that those are sufficient. Your ear drums have probably closed up too... the vast majority ~95% of peoples' ear drums close up after about 5 days.

When is it crackling? When you fake a yawn? I have this crackling and I've had it for a year. Maybe if it goes away, my T will decrease a little? I'm afraid I have mucous stuck in my Eustachian tubes, and that it will never go away.. :/

I have this crackling and I've had it for a year. Maybe if it goes away, my T will decrease a little? I'm afraid I have mucous stuck in my Eustachian tubes, and that it will never go away.. :/
The crackling will never go away, it's just your drum tensing/loosening as the pressure in your middle ear changes. If you Eustachian tunes were blocked, you wouldn't hear that crackle as the middle ear couldn't depressurize and the drum would stay sucked inward.

The crackling will never go away, it's just your drum tensing/loosening as the pressure in your middle ear changes. If you Eustachian tunes were blocked, you wouldn't hear that crackle as the middle ear couldn't depressurize and the drum would stay sucked inward.

What do you mean it will never go away? My ears have been crackling for about a year now, and I only got my T a little over a month ago. The sort of crackling you get when you descend on the airplane. Is there something about T that causes permanent ear crackling? Because that I don't get.

No it's not like that at all. It's like there's glue in there, I can feel it and it is not connected to my eardrum at all

@Erlend most likely its just the way your body is. Im pretty sure that if you start thinking about any body part you will find abnormalities. Probably it does not have an effect on your tinnitus or anything else, esp. if youve had it for years. Dont worry.

What do you mean it will never go away? My ears have been crackling for about a year now, and I only got my T a little over a month ago. The sort of crackling you get when you descend on the airplane. Is there something about T that causes permanent ear crackling? Because that I don't get.
My inner ear crackles by moving my jaw, yawning or swallowing, it's natural. You probably haven't noticed before you became obsessive about your hearing like the rest of us.

Hey everyone, update I'm at about two weeks ear feels good. I'm having the quietest t day I have ever had. I hope it's not just wishful thinking. One thing I want to add I am habituating and as far that goes I get better weekly so that could be playing a role as well.

Hey everyone, update I'm at about two weeks ear feels good. I'm having the quietest t day I have ever had. I hope it's not just wishful thinking. One thing I want to add I am habituating and as far that goes I get better weekly so that could be playing a role as well.

Good point. Some of the improvement could be habituation. I take it that in these studies the presumption in judging efficacy is that habituation could occur, to a relatively equal degree, in all study participants. So when the investigators look at the results data, if those receiving the drug show statistically significant improvement over those receiving placebo, the compound is deemed effective. Habituation could obviously be affected if each participant knew whether they were receiving placebo or AM-101.

My inner ear crackles by moving my jaw, yawning or swallowing, it's natural. You probably haven't noticed before you became obsessive about your hearing like the rest of us.

Yeah, but mine started doing it more and more in the last year, with almost every swallow. And I noticed it then, like I was coming down from a mountain highway. It seemed abnormal to me. But I certainly agree that I never thought much too about it other than that, given how harmless it seems.

My ears started to make crackling sounds around the time my tinnitus set in three years ago. Head/neck movements as well as swallowing trigger the crackles. On bad days, my ears crackle every few seconds. On my quiet days, this phenomenon occurs much less frequently. My theory is that there is some underlying cause that produces both the tinnitus and the crackling. But who knows?

-Golly

Great news! I'm sure you are habituating, but your noise is also reduced--creating a virtuous cycle of healing!:)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now