AM-101 TACTT1 Results Released

Looks like Auris Medical is going to the Nasdaq Stock exchange:

- Auris Medical Holding files for a $86 million IPO
Most interesting indeed. I already invested in stem cell company which has grown 164% in the last 12 months. Novel medicine seems the place to be in nowadays. If there were at least one real patient we knew about, that has gotten excellent results with AM101, this would have it's own topic. Many of us hang here almost everyday for newest information about clinical trial patients, so why not getting payed to do so ;)

no matter T is in ear or brain,from current experience '3 month window' seems to be a borderline of recovery hope right? T within 3months range is easy to be cured or imporved,by am101, HBOT,streiod injection,etc. T over 3 months is much more difficult to be improved.

Where have you heard that HBOT, Steriod injection can cure ? Going over the HBOT thread it does not seem to be of much help. I have recently made my tinnitus worse a month ago and wonder if I can do anything.

AM-101 was never billed as a cure. It's billed as a treatment. Since tinnitus is a subjective condition, if they can show statistically significant subjective improvement vs placebo for AM-101, that is a huge step forward in my opinion.

Quote from the evaluation of the Phase II Placebo Controlled Study:

"Results: The study overall failed to demonstrate a treatment benefit based on the change in MML* ..."

If a study does not reduce the MML, then it is not effective. MML is an objective measure, after all. In my opinion, at least - but apparently also in the opinion of a senior physician of the University Hospital Of Leipzig who said he would not even consider off-label use of AM101, because the results are "not good enough" to justify such a procedure. Meaning: even if Auris Medical would release the drug for off-label purposes, he would not be willing to perform the medical intervention.

My own assessment of the results is that:

1) The results are perhaps not realistic because it is difficult to reliably diagnose tinnitus patients (= cause and onset of tinnitus; basically some patients can/will lie - and get away with it).
2) The study considers both unilateral and bilateral tinnitus patients (but only unilateral interventions were performed). If bilateral procedures were done (where required), the results might look different.

The above is of course my own personal opinion. And I am not a doctor - so my opinion could be wrong. (On the other hand, it could also be right...).

I will be leaving this thread now as I have no further comments to make about AM101.

(I have documented the above information with Markku).

MML* = Minimum masking level.

Phase I: safety
Phase II: efficacy (usually double blind - if possible).
Phase III: same as phase II but with a larger group of participants

Given that the drug is now in phase III, there isn't too much to worry about. In my opinion.

(And as I have said several times before in some of my earlier posts: if you think safety is only a concern with clinical trials, then think again; people die all the time and/or suffer side-effects from established medical procedures and drugs. From time-to-time, I will read in the news that a certain stem cell treatment has caused the death of a patient. Big News! What people forget is that patients die many, many more times from medical practices which are based on established procedures. But because it is stem cells - something new and "hot topic" - it gets all the attention; never mind all the other people who die constantly. That's minor footnote. Apparently...)

Take care.
Phase 3 is also different to Phase 1,2 in that they administer 3 injections, instead of 1. That was the results that came out of 1,2. So they put have it into 3.

Phase 3 is also different to Phase 1,2 in that they administer 3 injections, instead of 1. That was the results that came out of 1,2. So they put have it into 3.

Quote from the study of Phase II:

"Interventions: Three intratympanic injections of AM-101 (0.27 or 0.81 mg/ml) or placebo over 3 consecutive days."

I therefore disagree with your observation (sorry to be a pain, my friend - but facts are important... :)). The "only" thing that the phase III trial will change is that the study is performed on a larger group (and possibly using bilateral interventions; not 100% sure, however).

As I said, I will leaving this thread now. This is my very last message.

Take care.

I will not participate in the 2nd injection because i don't want to.
If you don't mind me asking, why are you not getting the 2nd injection? I don't mean to pry but we could all benefit from knowing, seeing as some of us are considering it. Did you receive the placebo first time round maybe? Is that why it did not work perhaps? It was told that they give you the real drug the 2nd time around. Would you not be willing to try that, if you know you will get the real drug? Or were the side affects so bad that you would prefer not to take part. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Quote from the study of Phase II:

"Interventions: Three intratympanic injections of AM-101 (0.27 or 0.81 mg/ml) or placebo over 3 consecutive days."

I therefore disagree with your observation (sorry to be a pain, my friend - but facts are important... :)). The "only" thing that the phase III trial will change is that the study is performed on a larger group (and possibly using bilateral interventions; not 100% sure, however).

As I said, I will leaving this thread now. This is my very last message.

Take care.
I stand corrected. Thanks ATEOS.

AM-101 was never billed as a cure. It's billed as a treatment. Since tinnitus is a subjective condition, if they can show statistically significant subjective improvement vs placebo for AM-101, that is a huge step forward in my opinion. Quieter, less intrusive tinnitus elicits often times much less of the emotional and psychological response which causes people to suffer. Would it be cool if it made some peoples' tinnitus more or less go away? Yeah. Is it reasonable to expect that? No. There are very few cures in the world, but tons of treatments. That's just what this is, is a treatment.

As several other posters have noted, AM-101 appears to be shaping up to be an underwhelming treatment. I can envision a downside to AM-101's entrance into the marketplace. Let's assume AM-101 passes all of the necessary regulatory, investor, and internal hurdles. When a distressed patient newly afflicted with tinnitus consults with an ENT and is prescribed this med, I picture several scenarios.

Certainly, a placebo effect is one potential outcome. Others undoubtedly will be satisfied with the physiological benefits this drug provides. However, for many individuals, another outcome is quite plausible. We all know the overarching expectation in Western medicine: we get sick, we go to a health care provider, we leave with some type of treatment course/ option (meds, surgery, etc.). Somebody does something tangible to help us get better. Having a pharmacological compound injected into one's ear drum would be exactly this -- somebody is doing something about the ringing and that fits this Western medicine narrative. Again, yes, some patients will experience a favorable response to this compound.

Other patients, experiencing no or only slight/ moderate relief, might actually suffer from higher levels of anxiety absent any med administration. This anxiety could stem from the realization the only medication currently approved specifically for tinnitus does not work for them. This realization could be emotionally devastating as expectations for an effective treatment are crushed. It would be a twin blow. First, these patients must deal with all of the emotional/ cognitive distress that comes with tinnitus -- for some guilt, for practically all, a struggle to understand the cause/ precipitating factor(s), the why now, the why me, etc. Then, these patients must struggle with the "bad luck" of not responding (or not responding all that well) to an FDA approved treatment. Expectations are a powerful thing. Double whammy.

In retrospect, the best thing that happened to me was to hear the truth from my ENT. It forced me to accept my tinnitus. I believe this acceptance has played a positive role in my habituation. He was empathetic, but incredibly realistic. Yes, this same ENT armed with AM-101 in the future could provide his patients with a starkly realistic picture of the drug prior to administration. However, I suspect many patients would not let this information dampen their expectations. I believe AM-101's approval will raise expectations exponentially for many new tinnitus patients. Likely, they will not be versed in tinnitus research and will not have read support board threads on AM-101 that detail research subjects' experiences. Similar to most who have come before them, these patients will visit an ENT with some sense of hope. This hope for many will be bolstered by the prospect of being treated with an FDA-approved drug indicated for tinnitus.

Furthermore, it is hardly a new observation that many tinnitus patients become obsessed chasing a cure. Approving a lukewarm medication for tinnitus, in my opinion, could prolong this chase for many new patients. This clearly could prove to be counter-productive.

There is no doubt some patients will find some level of improvement from AM-101 should it be approved. I am not arguing AM-101 should be scrapped. Also, I am in no way against companies/ research efforts investigating tinnitus treatments. I wholly support these efforts. And while I believe many basic questions surrounding the pathophysiology of tinnitus need to be answered before more effective treatments can be developed, I do recognize there are meds (particularly psych meds) which provide benefit to patients for reasons not fully understood. Forging ahead with potential treatments in the face of unanswered questions is not a bad thing.

However, I seriously question the net benefit AM-101 will bring to the tinnitus community should it be approved.... especially to its newest members.

As several other posters have noted, AM-101 appears to be shaping up to be an underwhelming treatment. I can envision a downside to AM-101's entrance into the marketplace. Let's assume AM-101 passes all of the necessary regulatory, investor, and internal hurdles. When a distressed patient newly afflicted with tinnitus consults with an ENT and is prescribed this med, I picture several scenarios.

Certainly, a placebo effect is one potential outcome. Others undoubtedly will be satisfied with the physiological benefits this drug provides. However, for many individuals, another outcome is quite plausible. We all know the overarching expectation in Western medicine: we get sick, we go to a health care provider, we leave with some type of treatment course/ option (meds, surgery, etc.). Somebody does something tangible to help us get better. Having a pharmacological compound injected into one's ear drum would be exactly this -- somebody is doing something about the ringing and that fits this Western medicine narrative. Again, yes, some patients will experience a favorable response to this compound.

Other patients, experiencing no or only slight/ moderate relief, might actually suffer from higher levels of anxiety absent any med administration. This anxiety could stem from the realization the only medication currently approved specifically for tinnitus does not work for them. This realization could be emotionally devastating as expectations for an effective treatment are crushed. It would be a twin blow. First, these patients must deal with all of the emotional/ cognitive distress that comes with tinnitus -- for some guilt, for practically all, a struggle to understand the cause/ precipitating factor(s), the why now, the why me, etc. Then, these patients must struggle with the "bad luck" of not responding (or not responding all that well) to an FDA approved treatment. Expectations are a powerful thing. Double whammy.

In retrospect, the best thing that happened to me was to hear the truth from my ENT. It forced me to accept my tinnitus. I believe this acceptance has played a positive role in my habituation. He was empathetic, but incredibly realistic. Yes, this same ENT armed with AM-101 in the future could provide his patients with a starkly realistic picture of the drug prior to administration. However, I suspect many patients would not let this information dampen their expectations. I believe AM-101's approval will raise expectations exponentially for many new tinnitus patients. Likely, they will not be versed in tinnitus research and will not have read support board threads on AM-101 that detail research subjects' experiences. Similar to most who have come before them, these patients will visit an ENT with some sense of hope. This hope for many will be bolstered by the prospect of being treated with an FDA-approved drug indicated for tinnitus.

Furthermore, it is hardly a new observation that many tinnitus patients become obsessed chasing a cure. Approving a lukewarm medication for tinnitus, in my opinion, could prolong this chase for many new patients. This clearly could prove to be counter-productive.

There is no doubt some patients will find some level of improvement from AM-101 should it be approved. I am not arguing AM-101 should be scrapped. Also, I am in no way against companies/ research efforts investigating tinnitus treatments. I wholly support these efforts. And while I believe many basic questions surrounding the pathophysiology of tinnitus need to be answered before more effective treatments can be developed, I do recognize there are meds (particularly psych meds) which provide benefit to patients for reasons not fully understood. Forging ahead with potential treatments in the face of unanswered questions is not a bad thing.

However, I seriously question the net benefit AM-101 will bring to the tinnitus community should it be approved.... especially to its newest members.
A very wise and thoughtful post from @Sleepwalking I feel. In the early days of tinnitus I think the only thing that kept me going was hope that the physicality of it could change. I honestly think at that point, had I felt there was no hope I would have checked out of this mortal coil (sorry to be a drama queen).
With any trauma there are documented psychological stages (denial, anger, acceptance etc) and the order of those occurring is not chronologically set, as analysts used to think. I think I attached my 'hope' to what was said to me so many times, that, over time, my brain would 'switch off' from tinnitus. That hasn't happened to me yet but maybe it will. But, if AM101 drug is the 'hope' that keeps someone going for a few weeks, if it works then great, if not then other survival methods kick in. Such as, I thought this would be the end of me , then ...ok , it doesn't have to be the end but I'm only hanging around so as not to hurt the people who love me .... through to , well occasionally I'm still glad to be alive and and a few things have actually made me smile / brought me joy .... and then, I'm taking a day at a time but I want to be here for now. And that, quite frankly, is as far as I've got. But if ANY drug treatment passes the authority's approval processes, then even if it has only a small chance of helping an individual, I think the opportunity should be embraced by all parties, albeit the expectations of vulnerable people need to be managed carefully.
Wishing health and peace to all ...

I agree with some of your points, but I don't think that a treatment which has little or no harmful or uncomfortable side effects and has the potential to help people is a bad thing. If it gets approved and it is used in clinical practice, I think it will help many newbie sufferers a lot more than you think.

Subjective tinnitus, and all the suffering that it potentially entails, has always been a difficult nut to crack. If the compound/procedure is shown to statistically reduce the subjective experience of tinnitus suffering over placebo, then I think it has great merit. It may not cure someone's tinnitus for example, but it may greatly reduce it to the point where it is no where near as intrusive. I think it goes without saying that generally, tinnitus which is not as loud or perceived as being as loud is less intrusive. The louder tinnitus is, or we perceive it to be, the more likely it is to be intrusive and to require more effort and a longer period of time to adjust to it (if you're a person who is prone to suffering from tinnitus).

I think any treatment is going to be better than being told "go home there is nothing you can do about it." So what if our model of medicine in the west is to have a course of action, and treatment that potentially includes procedures and medication? Since a person with tinnitus is suffering, if they receive a treatment they may immediately feel better than otherwise being told to just deal with it.

I don't think people should expect a magical cure with AM-101. I do think it has the ability to reduce the tinnitus perception though, which is huge. It's a massive improvement over the days of everyone just accepting that nothing can be done about it.

When a person is suffering, the logical thing to do for that person is to alleviate or lessen the cause of that suffering. When that is not possible, alternative approaches such as changing the way we view that cause of suffering are warranted. Simply replaying the same mantra of tinnitus futility that we've all heard over the years is not advancing anybody's interest. Sure, someone may still be left with a little bit of tinnitus after a treatment regimen of AM-101. But we also might have lessened that to a good extent, which enables them to cope much, much better. That is worth an immeasurable amount to me.

Yeah, idk i feel better knowing im NOT the only one in world that isnt able to get rid of this. If this am101 works for some newbies and not others, i feel like thats a slap in the face and would cause more shame and anxiety on those that it doesn't help. At least now we all know we all can do one thing and one thing only, accept and live with it and come together and talk about it to make us feel better. But if am101 does "work" for some it would be like oh hey i have Bad T and am101 helped so much, then someone else has to listen to that and feel bad that it doesn't work for them :-/

If you don't mind me asking, why are you not getting the 2nd injection? I don't mean to pry but we could all benefit from knowing, seeing as some of us are considering it. Did you receive the placebo first time round maybe? Is that why it did not work perhaps? It was told that they give you the real drug the 2nd time around. Would you not be willing to try that, if you know you will get the real drug? Or were the side affects so bad that you would prefer not to take part. Thanks in advance for your reply.

There were no side effects. It's not that painful but i've just decided that being a guinea pig once is enough for me. I have nothing against this treatment, it's just that it's stressful for me and it takes a lot of time. I'll be waiting for phase3 results.

There were no side effects. It's not that painful but i've just decided that being a guinea pig once is enough for me. I have nothing against this treatment, it's just that it's stressful for me and it takes a lot of time. I'll be waiting for phase3 results.

But guinea pigs are cute !!!

guinea-pig-cute.jpg

Ok, thanks @James White for your response. Do you mind me asking... Do you know if you received the real drug or not?

Hi @James White. That is strange because they said that if you received the placebo in the first round, you definitely get the real drug in the second round. Each round is approximately 2 to 3 months. Was that not the case with you? There is a strong chance you received the placebo and that is why you did not respond well. Your input is greatly appreciated.

@SteveToHeal the trick is that you can participate in the 2nd round but you never know if you had placebo or the drug in the first round ! they will not tell you :)
Hi @James White. Yes, that is my understanding of it too. All the more reason to stay for the 2nd round but it is your decision and must be respected. All the best.

Hi all,

I have a question re the hypothetical treatment of AM101. The website says : "AM-101 contains Esketamine hydrochloride, an N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist..."

However, when I spoke to my audiologist yesterday, who attended the latest T conference in Berlin last month, her understanding is that AM101, intends to regenerate the damaged hair cell(s) structure, or rebuild the protein mesh that the hair cell structure is netted on.

I said that my understanding is that AM101 aims to inhibit over-excited neurons by inhibiting NMDA receptors, she explained that that is part of the physiology and not the structure.

I'm no doctor but are these two mutually inclusive? Does inhbiting NMDA receptors allow for the protein structures to rebuild in the damaged hair cell(s)?

~S

Hi all,

I have a question re the hypothetical treatment of AM101. The website says : "AM-101 contains Esketamine hydrochloride, an N-Methyl-D-Aspartate (NMDA) receptor antagonist..."

However, when I spoke to my audiologist yesterday, who attended the latest T conference in Berlin last month, her understanding is that AM101, intends to regenerate the damaged hair cell(s) structure, or rebuild the protein mesh that the hair cell structure is netted on.

I said that my understanding is that AM101 aims to inhibit over-excited neurons by inhibiting NMDA receptors, she explained that that is part of the physiology and not the structure.

I'm no doctor but are these two mutually inclusive? Does inhbiting NMDA receptors allow for the protein structures to rebuild in the damaged hair cell(s)?

~S

Your audiologist is probably thinking of AM111 (and not AM101). My guess.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but my request for information is going unanswered by everyone I've asked.

Is there any documentation or anything that states the side effects are temporary / transitory?

While the T in my head is super crappy and causing depression/anxiety, the permanent loss of more hearing or louder tinnitus would make things much worse.

I understand there are risks with everything, but there are people on here saying the side effects are temporary or transitory, but no one has backed that up with any data.

I've contacted one of the test sites and asked the same question, haven't heard back from them either.

Does anyone know?

It's fine if no one knows, but it's irresponsible to state your opinion as fact when it comes to other people's health.

I apologize for sounding like a broken record, but my request for information is going unanswered by everyone I've asked.

Is there any documentation or anything that states the side effects are temporary / transitory?

While the T in my head is super crappy and causing depression/anxiety, the permanent loss of more hearing or louder tinnitus would make things much worse.

I understand there are risks with everything, but there are people on here saying the side effects are temporary or transitory, but no one has backed that up with any data.

I've contacted one of the test sites and asked the same question, haven't heard back from them either.

Does anyone know?

It's fine if no one knows, but it's irresponsible to state your opinion as fact when it comes to other people's health.
I'm not sure if there is anything else but this available:

http://journals.lww.com/otology-neu...d_Safety_of_AM_101_in_the_Treatment_of.4.aspx

"A small transitory hearing deterioration was observed from baseline to Day 7 for the placebo and low-dose groups presumably related to the tympanotomy procedure; by Day 30, this small deterioration was fully reversed.

Occurrence of clinically relevant hearing deterioration at Day 30 was observed in 1% (placebo), 4% (low dose), and 3% (high dose) of patients; overall visits, the frequency was 12%, 5%, and 8%. There was no statistically significant difference between treatment groups. The frequency of clinically relevant hearing deterioration in the treated ear differed from the untreated contralateral ear on Day 7 but not on Day 30 or 90.

Treatment-emergent adverse events were reported by similar proportions of patients across the treatment groups with no apparent clinically relevant differences in frequency, intensity, or relationship (Table 6). Local events accounted for greater than 50% of reported AEs and related mostly to anticipated transient changes in tinnitus perception and hearing after the tympanotomy. In 93% of cases, the eardrum was already fully cicatrized at Day 7. For 1 patient in the placebo group, the paracentesis was still open at Day 90; however, the patient was asymptomatic and declined a restorative intervention."

90 days to participate in the study or trial.

Thanks Ray, I thought it was being tested and hopefully marketed for people newly diagnosed T.

So if AM-101 is a successful treatment it does not matter how long a person has had T for it to be a treatment?

I am in two years with T. I thought either way the trials went I was out of luck because of the length of time I have had T.

Thanks Ray, I thought it was being tested and hopefully marketed for people newly diagnosed T.

So if AM-101 is a successful treatment it does not matter how long a person has had T for it to be a treatment?

I am in two years with T. I thought either way the trials went I was out of luck because of the length of time I have had T.
In Germany they are doing trials on people up to 12 months with T .as for right now nobody knows if that its going to work only on ppl with 90 days since onset or more .

In Germany they are doing trials on people up to 12 months with T .as for right now nobody knows if that its going to work only on ppl with 90 days since onset or more .

Thank you the info Ray. I'll Keep an eye out for developments regarding the testing.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now