• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Anybody Else Whose Tinnitus Was Caused by Someone Else?

Alue

Author
Hall of Fame
Jan 4, 2016
Tinnitus Since
01/2016
Cause of Tinnitus
Acoustic Trauma
I've talked with a couple of people whose tinnitus was caused by someone else's actions.

Was your tinnitus caused by someone else? Was it intentional or accidental? How severe is it? How do you move on when you know your quality of life has been seriously altered by someone else, and you are constantly reminded of it every waking moment?

A loud band made my tinnitus a lot worse, but my wife and friends were with me at the show and didn't have serious problems as a result.

Blaming other people is pointless. I lost years to drugs I shouldn't have been prescribed in the first place, but, again, blaming other people is pointless.

Life is, what it is, right now, in this moment. All I strive for is to accept the current moment as it passes.

I was hit during pickup basketball game and the person who did it doesnt know how badly injured I am. I think it was an accident and I don't blame him. If anything, it's hard knowing that all I would have had to do to not have this problem is not join the game that day.

Mine was caused by the failure of doctors to identify that I was allergic to a drug they prescribed for me, despite showing symptoms that although rare, are listed as possibilities. I repeatedly asked if that could be the source of it starting and was repeatedly told no and that I could not come off it, otherwise serious health problems would result.

In the end, I was the one that made the call and switched to something else - something that my local doctors do not and will not support, so I am totally on my own. In the hands of the professionals, I genuinely believe I would be deaf by now. It is only since stopping it that I have seen improvements in my hearing, but it is incredibly slow.

More than anything, I feel huge regret that I didn't trust my own instincts and stop as soon as problems started, rather than carry on, based on the advice of others - had I done so, I very much doubt I would be where I am today and would never have even found this forum. I had my suspicions that it was the cause, but allowed others to persuade me otherwise.

Long term, I probably have been far less trusting of others and moreover, I have almost no faith left in medical professionals.

A loud band made my tinnitus a lot worse, but my wife and friends were with me at the show and didn't have serious problems as a result.

Blaming other people is pointless. I lost years to drugs I shouldn't have been prescribed in the first place, but, again, blaming other people is pointless.

Life is, what it is, right now, in this moment. All I strive for is to accept the current moment as it passes.

Blaming a loud band isn't what I'm talking about here, you could leave or wear earplugs. If someone discharges a loud noise right next to your ear without warning, that's a little different than being at a concert.

Sure the result may be the same, but it's like being in an accident and getting injured because you weren't wearing your seatbelt vs getting hit by a drunk driver even though you did everything right and drove safely.

Yes, my worsened tinnitus was caused by someone else. I am struggling to forgive them and honestly don't want to. They should pay for what they did, but they are not, I am.

Yep. I was at a club with my friend's girlfriend. I couldn't hear what they were trying to say to me because it was already loud in there, and mouthed I couldn't hear them. So they went up to my ear and yelled what they wanted to say.

Sure she's a dickhead, but when people are drunk they do stupid things, not thinking anything bad would happen.

Needless to say, my partying days are over.

I'm sadly going through quite a bad noxacusis setback after a neighbour randomly put their music system up full blast for a couple of minutes last Sunday morning. This same neighbour is aware their music carries throughout the building as we started with polite letters then complained to the building management. It filled the bedroom of loud music so all the avoiding loud areas/passing on social events is for nothing. I wish they could experience what their mindless actions have caused me.

Wim Hof, cult leader from YouTube and his breathing exercises gave me (and thousands of others) permanent tinnitus. I can't even look at his smiling face when his videos sometimes pop on my YouTube wall. He literally ruined my life.

Oh wow. I posted this nine years ago. I'm still suffering from hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus.

Even though it's gotten worse several times, I've habituated to the tinnitus, but the hyperacusis has had such a significant impact on my life. It's depressing looking back at all the years I've wasted in isolation.

Oh wow. I posted this nine years ago. I'm still suffering from hyperacusis and reactive tinnitus.

Even though it's gotten worse several times, I've habituated to the tinnitus, but the hyperacusis has had such a significant impact on my life. It's depressing looking back at all the years I've wasted in isolation.
Retigabine did eliminate the reactivity and hyperacusis for you when you were on it, correct? Did it not give you any permanent improvements at all? Have you worsened after stopping it due to other reasons?

Mine was caused by a doctor who prescribed me Azithromycin haphazardly, only to have the test result showing no infection. I left a "1-star" rating on his clinic in Google Maps.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now