• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Autifony Therapeutics Phase II Study for AUT00063, for the Treatment of Hearing Loss and Tinnitus

I'm sorry but this is going to take some time, I think @attheedgeofscience will know exactly where this information about there research would be located.

But for sure you have only got to look at the trial period for this drug, it will be a 4 week course of 4 pills once daily with food.....http://www.autifony.com/autifony-tinnitus-quiet-study.asp.

Unfortunately that's all I can offer you at this point in time till I can find where I read about their research.

who are behind autifony ?

Autifony was founded in 2011, as a spinout from GSK. It attracted a £10 million Series A funding round from SV Life Sciences and Imperial Innovations, which both invested £5 million in the company. GSK is a founder shareholder in the company. A second close of the Series A round in 2013 led to Pfizer Ventures and the International Biotechnology Trust becoming shareholders and brought the total raised to £15.75m.

This might help.

upload_2015-1-11_11-48-1.png

Sorry, I thought if anyone else knew it would be you.;)

I am quite positive that I read a web page outlining their research and it was mentioned, as part of the research, that a follow up test was done and the mice or rats were still Tinnitus free 6 months after the initial dosing!

The research would have been a bit half arsed if they hadn't re tested after a certain time?

I attended my screening interview for the Autifony Trial this morning. I had expected that I might be ruled out for either of two reasons: 1) Insufficient Hearing Loss. 2) Recent use of anti-depressants. In fact, neither of those two things seemed to concern the trial doctor very much. They performed a blood pressure test and they found that my blood pressure was quite high. They discussed amongst themselves whether I should be excluded due to high blood pressure but (luckily) they reached the conclusion that high blood pressure was not sufficient grounds for exclusion. They performed a reasonably thorough examination of my general health. Surprisingly, my hearing was just about the only thing that they did not test. Eventually, they told me that I have been accepted on to the trial but this is conditional upon the results of various tests which were performed during the examination (blood and urine analysis etc). They basically want to be sure that I do not have any other health problems which may affect my ability to participate in the trial.

I was given the impression that the requirement for hearing loss is not so inflexible as we had assumed. Too much hearing loss would make someone ineligible to participate but it does not seem that too little hearing loss would be a basis for exclusion. Also use of anti-depressants would not automatically make someone ineligible to participate. It would be at the discretion of the doctor in charge of the trial. I stopped taking Prozac just before Christmas but the doctor implied that even if I was still taking it, I would not necessarily have been excluded because of that.

Finally, I asked about confidentiality. Specifically, I asked whether I would be permitted to discuss the effects of the trial drug on this forum. I was told that it will be OK to discuss the effects of the drug on here but obviously I will not know whether I am being given the actual drug or the placebo. Perhaps we should start an AUT00063 User Experiences thread on the Treatments section of the forum. What do the moderators think?

I attended my screening interview for the Autifony Trial this morning. I had expected that I might be ruled out for either of two reasons: 1) Insufficient Hearing Loss. 2) Recent use of anti-depressants. In fact, neither of those two things seemed to concern the trial doctor very much. They performed a blood pressure test and they found that my blood pressure was quite high. They discussed amongst themselves whether I should be excluded due to high blood pressure but (luckily) they reached the conclusion that high blood pressure was not sufficient grounds for exclusion. They performed a reasonably thorough examination of my general health. Surprisingly, my hearing was just about the only thing that they did not test. Eventually, they told me that I have been accepted on to the trial but this is conditional upon the results of various tests which were performed during the examination (blood and urine analysis etc). They basically want to be sure that I do not have any other health problems which may affect my ability to participate in the trial.

I was given the impression that the requirement for hearing loss is not so inflexible as we had assumed. Too much hearing loss would make someone ineligible to participate but it does not seem that too little hearing loss would be a basis for exclusion. Also use of anti-depressants would not automatically make someone ineligible to participate. It would be at the discretion of the doctor in charge of the trial. I stopped taking Prozac just before Christmas but the doctor implied that even if I was still taking it, I would not necessarily have been excluded because of that.

Finally, I asked about confidentiality. Specifically, I asked whether I would be permitted to discuss the effects of the trial drug on this forum. I was told that it will be OK to discuss the effects of the drug on here but obviously I will not know whether I am being given the actual drug or the placebo. Perhaps we should start an AUT00063 User Experiences thread on the Treatments section of the forum. What do the moderators think?
Well that's very interesting. Do you have any hearing loss at all? Maybe a recent audiogram?

@tomm - I 've had my hearing tested a couple of times within the last year and I have been told that it is within the boundaries of what is considered normal for my age (I am 50). There is some mild hearing loss at the higher frequencies (particularly in the right ear) but no significant hearing loss in the mid-range frequencies.

@PhilB - Congrats - that's awesome! Thanks for the update. I'm so happy that we now have a few TT members who have been accepted to the trial. Praying that you, @Shaun, and @2131e (if she is accepted) are lucky enough to get the real drug and that you will experience relief.

Anyway, this is very exciting news and hopefully it is just the beginning.

If everything goes well, 2015 could be the year that someone on this very thread finally writes the words we all want to hear, "It works...the noise is gone!" And if not gone, then at least significantly reduced.

@PhilB If everything goes well, 2015 could be the year that someone on this very thread finally writes the words we all want to hear, "It works...the noise is gone!" And if not gone, then at least significantly reduced.

I certainly hope so - as do all of us here.

I wonder how long it will take to get some results off this.....

I'm so happy that we now have a few TT members who have been accepted to the trial. Praying that you, @Shaun, and @2131e (if she is accepted) are lucky enough to get the real drug and that you will experience relief.
Thanks @RoadToSilence - Incidentally, I also asked at what point the participants will find out if they have been given the real drug or the placebo. And I asked what would happen in the event of the drug showing impressive results for those who are given the real drug. Would the placebo group be offered the chance to try the real drug after the trial is over? The doctor said that the results would have to be conclusive (i.e. showing strong evidence that the drug does actually work) and it would then be at the discretion of those who are administering the trial to decide whether to give out AUT00063 to the placebo group. So she was basically non-committal on that point. I guess she did not want to promise anything that she may not be able to deliver.

Thanks @RoadToSilence - Incidentally, I also asked at what point the participants will find out if they have been given the real drug or the placebo. And I asked what would happen in the event of the drug showing impressive results for those who are given the real drug. Would the placebo group be offered the chance to try the real drug after the trial is over? The doctor said that the results would have to be conclusive (i.e. showing strong evidence that the drug does actually work) and it would then be at the discretion of those who are administering the trial to decide whether to give out AUT00063 to the placebo group. So she was basically non-committal on that point. I guess she did not want to promise anything that she may not be able to deliver.

That's interesting @PhilB - the people I spoke to said the placebo group wouldn't get anything. Maybe you spoke to someone nicer :)

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now