• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Chit Chat and All That...

Careful around me though, I might baby rage on impulse while gaming. Be sure to wear your ear defenders when this happens, my friends:

BFEDD6E0-DC22-4305-BB8C-9F1578B3F215.gif

Jk, I don't rage anymore!

Btw, I never get notified when someone tags my name, anyone know why?

Careful around me though, I might baby rage on impulse while gaming. Be sure to wear your ear defenders when this happens, my friends:

View attachment 49292
No judgement @ZFire. We've all been there.

I used to throw my game cartridges at the wall in frustration when I was a teenager... looking back I guess it was kind of clever, as it meant the game would never be able to screw me over again; because, you know, broken.

And a friend of mine used to tear up the piece carpet he was sitting on. So there was like a bald patch in front of his TV where he used to game, which was pretty cool.

Also, I'm absolutely convinced some card games online are using metrics to manipulate the odds in my opponents favour, sometimes, just because I'm so good...

conspiracy.gif

exit.PNG

I've been using weights the whole time I've had severe tinnitus @Exit.

But I didn't start going to the gym until 2018 (or around then), so I never used "heavy weights". I used to do home workouts on an exercise mat and then use low dumbbell weights on my arms.

Now I go to the gym and I use heavy weights but only on the machines, which isn't the same as lifting free weights by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd say it's natural, when lifting weights of any type or just doing something strenuous that mimics the activity, that it would increase your tinnitus by a lot when you do it, and then elevates the tinnitus for a few hours after, also.

I mean, I notice my tinnitus is louder when I get home, but I've become accustomed to the pattern of it always going down later, so don't get concerned about it.

Also I wear foam earplugs all the time, so when amateur b@st@rds who don't know how to ease the weights down gently, turn up, the noise of them slamming back down isn't an issue.

But I used to go running in the park near me, way before I started trying to build muscle. And this was maybe a couple of months after I developed severe tinnitus; so I'd recommend anyone wanting to get fit to start with this activity if they can (that's assuming they don't have severe reactive tinnitus or bad knees etc.).

And... clown avatar? Do you mean @Emperor-Drax?

Joining Exit's Fat camp involves signing a document where free will, free choice of food and communication with outside world is not allowed!

Still interested? :)

Where do I sign up!?

I've seen a photo of @Exit's body, and - damn! Those abs!

Now this is what I want to ask you @Exit. I saw that photo also, and your abdominal muscles were extremely toned.

How the f*ck did you achieve this?

What was your regimen?

I have no trouble building muscle on my arms, shoulders, chest etc. But I've never been able to get that 8 pack sh*t.

At this moment in time, I'm tempted to sign up to @Exit's fat camp also, just for the abs.

View attachment 49292

Jk, I don't rage anymore!

Btw, I never get notified when someone tags my name, anyone know why?
Drove sick sister home and went slow down a curb so she didn't throw up...

THEN

Someone honked like an idiot straight in my butt!

I was so angry I broke out a sweat and started stink in just 1 minute...

You got some balls honking someone driving around with earmuffs!

I actually drive around with a big wrench JUST in case there's road rage potential!

View attachment 49295

I've been using weights the whole time I've had severe tinnitus @Exit.

But I didn't start going to the gym until 2018 (or around then), so I never used "heavy weights". I used to do home workouts on an exercise mat and then use low dumbbell weights on my arms.

Now I go to the gym and I use heavy weights but only on the machines, which isn't the same as lifting free weights by any stretch of the imagination.

I'd say it's natural, when lifting weights of any type or just doing something strenuous that mimics the activity, that it would increase your tinnitus by a lot when you do it, and then elevates the tinnitus for a few hours after, also.

I mean, I notice my tinnitus is louder when I get home, but I've become accustomed to the pattern of it always going down later, so don't get concerned about it.

Also I wear foam earplugs all the time, so when amateur b@st@rds who don't know how to ease the weights down gently, turn up, the noise of them slamming back down isn't an issue.

But I used to go running in the park near me, way before I started trying to build muscle. And this was maybe a couple of months after I developed severe tinnitus; so I'd recommend anyone wanting to get fit to start with this activity if they can (that's assuming they don't have severe reactive tinnitus or bad knees etc.).

And... clown avatar? Do you mean @Emperor-Drax?

Now this is what I want to ask you @Exit. I saw that photo also, and your abdominal muscles were extremely toned.

What was your regimen?

I have no trouble building muscle on my arms, shoulders, chest etc. But I've never been able to get that 8 pack sh*t.

At this moment in time, I'm tempted to sign up to @Exit's fat camp also, just for the abs.
Okay so, weightlifting isn't the Cure then :p

Yup scary clown Emperor :)

You should have seen my abs 10 years ago when I had ZERO body fat :D

The clue is to stop eating! :)

Or perhaps kiss my butt?

They say Crohn's not contagious butt you never know :D

With free weights, I'm a proponent of using low weights, but a much higher rep count. Builds muscle endurance and tones the body well enough to showcase a nice physique. If you're looking to get stronger or body build, heavier weights will help, although I prefer mastering body weight exercises to built strength. I used to do 100 pull-ups 3x per week, 50 L-sit chin ups 2x per week, 100 pushups + squats everyday.
View attachment 49295

What was your regimen?

I'm the same, no matter how hard I try, I could muster only a slight visibility of abs. Diet, ab training exercises... nothing works for me. I'm pretty much sure getting a 6-pack largely depends on one's genetics.

I used to do 100 pull-ups 3x per week, 50 L-sit chin ups 2x per week, 100 pushups + squats everyday.
RR.gif

With free weights, I'm a proponent of using low weights, but a much higher rep count. Builds muscle endurance and tones the body well enough to showcase a nice physique. If you're looking to get stronger or body build, heavier weights will help, although I prefer mastering body weight exercises to built strength.
Appreciate the information @ZFire. I know you know what you're talking about from some of your photos.

I'll be honest, what you've set above is a high bar to reach, and I seem to remember you saying you were working out 5 days a week pre-tinnitus; but you got the results, so I guess I got no other choice but to push for the burn.

I don't see myself ever using "heavy free weights" though, because I've suffered debilitating sciatica several times in my life now, and so have an acquired fear of landing myself with a permanent injury that prevents me from regular exercise. The times I haven't been able to go to the gym for weeks, just for cardio even, have almost killed me mentally, and I find my severe anxiety starts slowly creeping in after a time.
I'm the same, no matter how hard I try, I could muster only a slight visibility of abs. Diet, ab training exercises... nothing works for me. I'm pretty much sure getting a 6-pack largely depends on one's genetics.
Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the genetics thing. However I'm not giving up just yet. If I ever get the money I want to try EMSculpt. Plus I'm trying to rehabilitate a chronic foot injury I've had for the last year at the moment, so I can start running again (which, with planking etc. is fantastic for the abs).

With free weights, I'm a proponent of using low weights, but a much higher rep count. Builds muscle endurance and tones the body well enough to showcase a nice physique. If you're looking to get stronger or body build, heavier weights will help, although I prefer mastering body weight exercises to built strength. I used to do 100 pull-ups 3x per week, 50 L-sit chin ups 2x per week, 100 pushups + squats everyday.

Lot of folks are also on gear lol especially if big and lean. What's that saying?

Big/lean/natural, you can only pick 2 lol.

View attachment 49310

Appreciate the information @ZFire. I know you know what you're talking about from some of your photos.

I'll be honest, what you've set above is a high bar to reach, and I seem to remember you saying you were working out 5 days a week pre-tinnitus; but you got the results, so I guess I got no other choice but to push for the burn.

I don't see myself ever using "heavy free weights" though, because I've suffered debilitating sciatica several times in my life now, and so have an acquired fear of landing myself with a permanent injury that prevents me from regular exercise. The times I haven't been able to go to the gym for weeks, just for cardio even, have almost killed me mentally, and I find my severe anxiety starts slowly creeping in after a time.

Yeah, I'm inclined to agree with the genetics thing. However I'm not giving up just yet. If I ever get the money I want to try EMSculpt. Plus I'm trying to rehabilitate a chronic foot injury I've had for the last year at the moment, so I can start running again (which, with planking etc. is fantastic for the abs).
Why is starvation out of the picture? :)

Agree with heavy lifting...

I remember one of the biggest dudes, he didn't touch them either after serious back injury from lifting too heavy. And you get hernia plus probably more tinnitus :D

Anyways the dude looked like the big guy in "The Green Mile."

Very kind and social :)

Lots of people steer clear of a guy looking like that, even gym rats.

I was his little friend :D

We need face pics of @Exit and @Damocles stat.
Nah, we really don't.

To be honest, no offense to @Exit, but I really couldn't care less what he looks like.

In fact, seeing an actual picture of him (and not just his torso) would ruin my mental image of him as some kind of cartoon character.

As for me. Well, I extend the same offer to you @Wrfortiscue as I have done to @aura. Except I can't make an 8 hour flight over to the US with my ETD (I'd be taking a big enough risk of my ears exploding, as it is, flying 3 hours to Constanța), so you'll have to come over and see me buddy.

First thing we're doing when you arrive is frying you up a breakfast of coagulated pig's blood (aka. Black Pudding) and then I guess it's off to meet @Steph1710 and @UKBloke for that inevitable orgy...

(Just realised @UKBloke wasn't here when these were being discussed, and didn't realise they were kind of an expected thing... Sorry mate, I don't make the rules.).

That's actually a very interesting topic.

I was tempted to make a joke about it but I guess I will be serious this time :)

I think that everybody already knows why (over) exposing yourself or your family members on social media isn't a good thing and I won't get into that many details, but some aspects are worth to be mentioned.

First of all, this is a public posting place. That means that everything you do or say here can and will be used against you. :)

People are reaching this kind of support forums because they want to meet people that are going through the same things as they are. Especially us, tinnitus/hyperacusis sufferers. Not many of us out there, in the real world. And way too far away from each other.

We come here, we read stories, we ask for advice, we finally get to know people that really understand the hell we are going through. And, as @Steph1710 once said, seeing a face next to the story makes it more human. We need that a lot.

But is posting photos/personal information about yourself a good thing? I don't really think so, unless you are ready to show the entire world how vulnerable you are and to take full responsibility for all your actions here, for what you say and what you do.

Imagine for example being an important,well known person in your community and suicidal in the same time. Would you like everybody else to know that? Maybe you're at that point where it really doesn't matter anymore for you, but your close ones may be affected by this.

Because yes, as unfair as it may seem, people are extremely judgemental. It may seem rainbow and unicorns here, people saying nice things to each other and everyone being part of this big happy family but things are not really like that.

Posting private information and photos when you are a (cute) girl is even worse. That is basically just uploading free "material" for all the lurkers around :) I won't get into details, but we have to keep in mind the fact that this is a public place and you can expect well... strange specimens being around.

So yeah, giving personal information about you makes it feel more real but in the same time exposes you and it forces you to take responsibility for all your actions. I am ready to do that but I can understand why many people here don't.

And that's because they either don't want to risk showing their vulnerable side to others, or simply because they are not who they pretend to be here (and by that I'm not necessary saying that there's something shady about them). The truth is you never know who hides behind that screen.

There are people that you realise you don't really know after a lifetime, so I'm not even start talking about what might happen in these kinds of places.

So... do we really need to see photos of @Damocles or @Exit?

No, I don't think so.

It would have happened up to this point if they really wanted to.

Is it because they don't want to expose too much of their personal lives or because they're not who they pretend to be? Could be any of these two variants. But it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I have a mental image of them, almost cartoonish in @Exit's case :) and it's ok for me to keep it that way.

We're here to seek help, to offer help, to make good jokes or maybe not so good jokes, to laugh, to forget for a moment about our problems.

As long as we keep it civil and don't cross some lines/offend someone in the process, that's just fine by me.

@Steph1710, how's it going?
Hey @Exit! :)

I'm doing okayish. Tinnitus was nice and quiet this morning. However, my mother-in-law's phone alarm went off next to me - and it was loud, loud! And now my right ear has felt incredibly sore with burning sensation for the past three hours, so... :(

It pissed me off because I have told her time and time again about my ears, yet she still had her alarm on full volume next to me. Rob and I are moving back into the van in the next couple of months. I'm buying coconut plates and cutlery so I can protect my ears. And plastic cups. I'm sound proofing everything.

Oh, and I'm still ill, but not as bad as I was.

Back in 2015 I lived in a college dorm, all the bedrooms were double so I had my own roommate. We kinda became quite good friends and got along quite well, but sometimes he had this (passive? not sure he did not do that on purpose) "ability" of taunting me... I usually ended up being pissed off at him. One night (3 am or so) we were playing League of Legends together, but in two separate rooms; he did one of his circus that pissed me off so much (I was a very impulsive person back in those days) that I locked him outside the room for a good 15 minutes. He started screaming, waking up the whole floor. When I opened the door I gave him a push and the laptop he was holding with one hand slipped on the ground and broke. So I had to pay 200+ euros to repair the damage. Plus I was scolded by the director of the dorm (who, by the way, is a catholic priest) because they (over)heard us yelling blasphemies.

That's actually a very interesting topic.

I was tempted to make a joke about it but I guess I will be serious this time :)

I think that everybody already knows why (over) exposing yourself or your family members on social media isn't a good thing and I won't get into that many details, but some aspects are worth to be mentioned.

First of all, this is a public posting place. That means that everything you do or say here can and will be used against you. :)

People are reaching this kind of support forums because they want to meet people that are going through the same things as they are. Especially us, tinnitus/hyperacusis sufferers. Not many of us out there, in the real world. And way too far away from each other.

We come here, we read stories, we ask for advice, we finally get to know people that really understand the hell we are going through. And, as @Steph1710 once said, seeing a face next to the story makes it more human. We need that a lot.

But is posting photos/personal information about yourself a good thing? I don't really think so, unless you are ready to show the entire world how vulnerable you are and to take full responsibility for all your actions here, for what you say and what you do.

Imagine for example being an important,well known person in your community and suicidal in the same time. Would you like everybody else to know that? Maybe you're at that point where it really doesn't matter anymore for you, but your close ones may be affected by this.

Because yes, as unfair as it may seem, people are extremely judgemental. It may seem rainbow and unicorns here, people saying nice things to each other and everyone being part of this big happy family but things are not really like that.

Posting private information and photos when you are a (cute) girl is even worse. That is basically just uploading free "material" for all the lurkers around :) I won't get into details, but we have to keep in mind the fact that this is a public place and you can expect well... strange specimens being around.

So yeah, giving personal information about you makes it feel more real but in the same time exposes you and it forces you to take responsibility for all your actions. I am ready to do that but I can understand why many people here don't.

And that's because they either don't want to risk showing their vulnerable side to others, or simply because they are not who they pretend to be here (and by that I'm not necessary saying that there's something shady about them). The truth is you never know who hides behind that screen.

There are people that you realise you don't really know after a lifetime, so I'm not even start talking about what might happen in these kinds of places.

So... do we really need to see photos of @Damocles or @Exit?

No, I don't think so.

It would have happened up to this point if they really wanted to.

Is it because they don't want to expose too much of their personal lives or because they're not who they pretend to be? Could be any of these two variants. But it doesn't really matter.

Yes, I have a mental image of them, almost cartoonish in @Exit's case :) and it's ok for me to keep it that way.

We're here to seek help, to offer help, to make good jokes or maybe not so good jokes, to laugh, to forget for a moment about our problems.

As long as we keep it civil and don't cross some lines/offend someone in the process, that's just fine by me.
Hit the nail right on the head there, A.

When I first logged on to the Internet back in 1995, people's attitude to privacy was such that the assumption was it was only basement dwellers using computers to connect to the 'net. Jump forward a couple of generations and the advent of social media seems to have swung the pendulum entirely in the opposite direction. It's been quite interesting watching that change play out in real time.

Andy Warhol once said that everyone would be world-famous for fifteen minutes. I think social media became the platform to prove him right. Regardless, I think it's one thing for 'healthy' people to participate in that open-face online persona thing, but as you quite rightly suggest, there may be ramifications in the real world for people like us who by clinical definition are often in vulnerable and quite fragile positions.

I wouldn't be happy, for example, if my mum were to visit here and tie some of my posts to a picture of me. You see, although I do share tinnitus stuff with her (she has severe tinnitus too) I know deep in my heart that she would find some of my writing too upsetting. And I don't want to be responsible for that so I shield her from it. Even Mrs. UKB, who's well aware that I post here, doesn't actually know my username!

I'm amazed that @Steph1710 managed to get me to show my own face on here for a brief moment. But she is a very cool cat, and to be fair, I'm not impartial to a good 'dare' :)

Nah, we really don't.

To be honest, no offense to @Exit, but I really couldn't care less what he looks like.

In fact, seeing an actual picture of him (and not just his torso) would ruin my mental image of him as some kind of cartoon character.

As for me. Well, I extend the same offer to you @Wrfortiscue as I have done to @aura. Except I can't make an 8 hour flight over to the US with my ETD (I'd be taking a big enough risk of my ears exploding, as it is, flying 3 hours to Constanța), so you'll have to come over and see me buddy.

First thing we're doing when you arrive is frying you up a breakfast of coagulated pig's blood (aka. Black Pudding) and then I guess it's off to meet @Steph1710 and @UKBloke for that inevitable orgy...

(Just realised @UKBloke wasn't here when these were being discussed, and didn't realise they were kind of an expected thing... Sorry mate, I don't make the rules.).
I'm just messing around bud :cat:

Hey @Exit! :)

I'm doing okayish. Tinnitus was nice and quiet this morning. However, my mother-in-law's phone alarm went off next to me - and it was loud, loud! And now my right ear has felt incredibly sore with burning sensation for the past three hours, so... :(

It pissed me off because I have told her time and time again about my ears, yet she still had her alarm on full volume next to me. Rob and I are moving back into the van in the next couple of months. I'm buying coconut plates and cutlery so I can protect my ears. And plastic cups. I'm sound proofing everything.

Oh, and I'm still ill, but not as bad as I was.
Nice that you're better overall :)

It's heartbreaking/insulting when people close to you aren't considerate...

Well as they say revenge is best served cold! I'm thinking hot chili pepper powder in her diapers in about 20 years time!

I prefer coconut bikinis btw :cool:

Posting private information and photos when you are a (cute) girl is even worse. That is basically just uploading free "material" for all the lurkers around :)
@aura, I'm deeply offended by this discrimination! What about all those cute boys and middle aged (hot) men around the block!??

If @Damocles and I were to give up our face on the internet we would be harassed by a constant stream of men and women trying to get a piece of our ass!

Besides... I'm okay with being a cartoon in your mind :cool:

95A8C4C9-FFC3-4F9B-B402-395151520F0A.jpeg

And THIS is what happens when a bloke gives in to group pressure and post his face in here! :eek:

2B9E0645-E4E7-4CD1-A711-ADBDFDE2D741.jpeg

Poor bugger...

Lot of folks are also on gear lol especially if big and lean. What's that saying?

Big/lean/natural, you can only pick 2 lol.
Exactly, There's a lot of fake "natties" out there in the fitness industry. There was an article I read recently about how steroids/PEDs are so rampant among fitness "influencers". They will keep that a secret while claiming their gains come strictly from workouts and diet plans. It's a ploy to get people to buy their bogus fitness programs with the absurd claims that one can get shredded in a span of 1 month. These clowns are also selling their own BS supplements too. In reality, it's super hard to maintain those extreme standards, it's a like a job in and of itself and can take years to achieve when starting off. That's where steroids come into play.

This puts forth unrealistic and unhealthy expectations for their followers the same way photoshopped beauty influencers do as well.
'll be honest, what you've set above is a high bar to reach, and I seem to remember you saying you were working out 5 days a week pre-tinnitus; but you got the results, so I guess I got no other choice but to push for the burn
Indeed. Find what works best for you and increase the intensity of it in increments. It took me a long time to find out which diet and workout regimes worked best. 3 and half years of dedication to get me in the best shape I could possibly be. After that it just becomes maintenance and you can lessen the amount of workout days by a bit.
The times I haven't been able to go to the gym for weeks, just for cardio even, have almost killed me mentally, and I find my severe anxiety starts slowly creeping in after a time
Likewise. Keeping my mental health under control was one of my main motivations for working out in the first place. Cardio and weight training helps big time in that regard especially anxiety. Jogging 30 minutes a day is crucial for me.

Yup we have built them up so much that they will never show it now lol.
True!

Btw some woman on Happn said hello yesterday and after I responded hello back, she managed today to write Yolo bro :D

She's clueless what my life's like :D But she had a good point...

My lot used to boil black pudding. Imagine that :hungry:
Did you ever see this @UKBloke?

Starting to wonder if you and @Stacken77 might be distantly related...

Any family in Sweden?
I'm just messing around bud :cat:
Well I wasn't... at least not about the visit or the black pudding breakfast. (Orgies in reality, are not my cup of tea).

But I'm genuinely hoping I'll get to meet you sometime @Wrfortiscue (along with everyone else). Although, I respect that like me, you may have limitations where flying is concerned. In my case it's because of my Eustachian Tube Dysfunction, and my left ears inability to equalize pressure effectively.

For you it might be more to do with the fact that your tinnitus is quite reactive and unstable at the moment; so maybe in a couple of years when it's more settled you'll be able to make the journey and come visit your UK compatriots. :huganimation:

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now