Resource icon

Commercial Lidocaine Patch as a Treatment for Ear-ringing

I've just reread the entire thread and didn't see any mention of somatosensory tinnitus being reduced by using Lidocaine patches. There was a question from @Ear Drummer above regarding this topic.

Do you think these patches could help people like me who have noise-induced tinnitus along with severe somatosensory tinnitus?

In my case, the tinnitus is reactive due to dysfunctions in the TMJ, the sternocleidomastoid muscles, and tension in the occipital muscles (back of the neck).

Has anyone experienced improvement in their somatosensory reactive tinnitus with Lidocaine patches?

If not, I'm considering giving it a try.

@Ear Drummer, the amount is so small that it's insignificant. There are small amounts of Arsenic in Nutmeg. You get it...
Thanks for replying. Of course, I understand, I would just prefer to limit the amount of damaging chemicals entering my body. Is there any reason why the lidocaine only patches I linked wouldn't work? Do all the additional ingredients make the lidocaine more effective?
I've just reread the entire thread and didn't see any mention of somatosensory tinnitus being reduced by using Lidocaine patches. There was a question from @Ear Drummer above regarding this topic.

Do you think these patches could help people like me who have noise-induced tinnitus along with severe somatosensory tinnitus?

In my case, the tinnitus is reactive due to dysfunctions in the TMJ, the sternocleidomastoid muscles, and tension in the occipital muscles (back of the neck).

Has anyone experienced improvement in their somatosensory reactive tinnitus with Lidocaine patches?

If not, I'm considering giving it a try.
Hi @Josh59, I have similar noise-induced tinnitus and somatosensory tinnitus. I also suffer from TMJ and Bruxism. Similarly, I'm going to give it a try anyway as some relief is better than none and these patches aren't that expensive. Just hoping that it doesn't make anything worse. I hope you find some relief when you do try them.

I have noise-induced somatosensory reactive tinnitus. Neck and jaw movements increase my tinnitus, and this has become more noticeable over the years. Initially, only moving my neck to the right made it worse, but now moving my head to the left does as well.

I'm currently using Lidocaine ointment again, but I've also ordered these patches (delivery expected on 10/8). I'll report back here once I've tried them.

@Cmspgran, I'm having another bash at this to ensure that the effects I experienced weren't just due to daily variations, as my tinnitus has become unpredictable again. I'm fairly confident the treatment is effective, so I plan to continue for 7 days on an 18/6 schedule.

I was initially cautious about systemic serum levels accumulating, but I found a study that showed negligible accumulation after three weeks in diabetic patients. In that study, participants wore several full-sized, 5% patches at once.

If this proves effective, it will bring enormous relief and offer a better way to cope than relying on daily Clonazepam or experimenting with more challenging options like Trobalt.

Maybe, over time, this will help stabilize these hyperactive nerves!

The back of my neck! I must've said this about 100 times in this thread! 🤣

Good for you, @Nick47.

Update on the Salonpas brand: it numbs the neck more effectively than Aspercreme, but it doesn't seem to have as much of an effect on the tinnitus. Go figure...

Update on the Salonpas brand: it numbs the neck more effectively than Aspercreme, but it doesn't seem to have as much of an effect on the tinnitus. Go figure...
@Cmspgran, how many days have you worn it, and for how many hours each day? Have you noticed any effects?

Sorry @ErikaS. I'm using Aspercreme, and its effects typically wear off about 12 to 24 hours after stopping.

The impact on reactivity becomes particularly noticeable after 3 to 5 days of use.
Thank you for the feedback, @Nick47. When you first applied the patch to the back of your neck, did you notice any increase in volume or disturbance within the first day or two, before experiencing any improvement around 3-5 days later? I'd like to hear from you as well, @Cmspgran, if you don't mind sharing.

I've tried this twice by cutting the Aspercreme patch in half and placing one half on the back of my neck. It might have been a coincidence, but I felt like my tinnitus volume increased within 2-3 hours after applying the half patch.

I've tried this twice by cutting the Aspercreme patch in half and placing one half on the back of my neck. It might have been a coincidence, but I felt like my tinnitus volume increased within 2-3 hours after applying the half patch
@ErikaS, my tinnitus volume fluctuates wildly, so I didn't panic—I knew I had to give it at least a week. In the first few days, I noticed some fluctuations: it would get louder, then less loud. After five days, it was consistently lower for three days in a row and less reactive.

Any treatment takes days or even weeks to show an effect. A few hours of change is inconsequential, really.

@Cmspgran, how many days have you worn it, and for how many hours each day? Have you noticed any effects?
I wore it for three days, about 8 hours a day, and noticed some improvement. However, it wasn't as effective as Aspercreme, which, as you know, I was wearing 24/7 for days on end.

The strangest thing is that the Salonpas completely numbs my neck, while Aspercreme didn't numb it at all. Yet, Aspercreme seemed to work better. Maybe it's not a fair comparison, considering the difference in wearing time, but you'd think that the pad numbing your neck the most would be the one with the greater effect, right?

On another note, I just went to the dentist today and was told I need to have a filling replaced. Now, I'm worried that the noise from the drill and suction tube might set me back to square one.
Thank you for the feedback, @Nick47. When you first applied the patch to the back of your neck, did you notice any increase in volume or disturbance within the first day or two, before experiencing any improvement around 3-5 days later? I'd like to hear from you as well, @Cmspgran, if you don't mind sharing.

I've tried this twice by cutting the Aspercreme patch in half and placing one half on the back of my neck. It might have been a coincidence, but I felt like my tinnitus volume increased within 2-3 hours after applying the half patch.
I didn't notice a significant increase in my tinnitus, Erika. However, as @Nick47 mentioned, it can be so variable and reactive from day to day that it's hard to pinpoint exactly what's affecting it. Similar to Nick's experience, after wearing it non-stop, 24/7, for several days, I started to see a noticeable positive effect. Unfortunately, that improvement disappeared as soon as I stopped using it.

about 8 hours a day, and noticed some improvement.
@Cmspgran, well, that's why I don't advise using it 24/7 for weeks on end. However, I think you may have gone too far in the other direction. I'm currently on day 2.

I'm not a fan of dentist appointments, especially with hyperacusis. Plus, as a private patient, it's quite expensive. And yes, I'd say that about 24 hours after stopping treatment, things return to their usual unpleasant state.

Thank you so much for your feedback, @Nick47 and @Cmspgran. I'm going to give it another try tonight after my appointment with the PM&R doctor I just started seeing. A little over a week ago, he injected Lidocaine into the back of my neck at the base of the skull, in the trapezius muscles, and along both sides of my jawline. I didn't notice any changes, but it was the first time, and I felt like the amount of Lidocaine was quite small. I think I'll need to ask him to increase the dose and consider getting it done three or more times a week to see any potential effects.

This next part might really show my desperation, but when I purchased the Lidocaine patches, I also picked up the roll-on Lidocaine. My thought process was to use a Q-tip to apply a small amount of the roll-on Lidocaine, then gently rub it inside my ear canals since my history shows I have very sensitive nerves there. Crazy? Dangerous? Creative? Who knows. In any case, I'll start with consistent use of the Lidocaine patch on my neck, following the same timing that @Nick47 uses, and I'll report back on any results.

My thought process was to use a Q-tip to apply a small amount of the roll-on Lidocaine, then gently rub it inside my ear canals since my history shows I have very sensitive nerves there. Crazy? Dangerous? Creative? Who knows.
@ErikaS, I can't advise you on that specifically. I tend to look at studies and case reports for evidence of effectiveness.

There are only a few treatments with substantial evidence or numerous case reports, such as Cochlear Implants, Clonazepam, Alprazolam, Cyclobenzaprine, Carbamazepine (for those who respond to 50% lidocaine), Nortriptyline, Acamprosate, and CBT. That's about it!

Topiramate has one odd study, and Lamotrigine has about half a dozen case reports.

Everything else is still in the experimental phase.

I finally listened to the Dirk De Ridder podcast today. Thanks, @Hazel, for letting it run on and for asking such a broad range of questions. I noticed your question, @Nick47, about the patches—thanks for asking that! It seems he wasn't really in favor of long-term use due to potential habituation to the pads and the risk of rebound effects if discontinued. It was still interesting to hear his thoughts on that, as well as on other treatments.

It seems he wasn't really in favor of long-term use due to potential habituation to the pads and the risk of rebound effects if discontinued. It was still interesting to hear his thoughts on that, as well as on other treatments.
Hey @Cmspgran, I listened, though I remember it caused me some mild pain and TTS. Not a good day. At first, he seemed surprised and curious; it was clear he hadn't seen the study. After that, I wasn't quite sure what he was saying about it. There's no habituation to lidocaine, just as there's no habituation to paracetamol. Like you mentioned, when you stop treatment, the effects wear off. It doesn't act like benzodiazepines or opioids, where downregulation of receptors leads to habituation.

If the pads work, you could try using them for a few weeks, then take a week off. This also gives the skin a chance to breathe.

There are people with chronic sciatica who use the 5% pads over extended periods.

@Nick47, I remember you said you cut the Aspercreme patches into quarters. Do you do the same, @Cmspgran? I cut it in half. However, it was a little difficult to keep in place on the neck due to its size.
I cut it in half. Using just a quarter didn't have any effect. To keep it in place, you'll need to cover it with cheap white medical tape.

remember you said you cut the Aspercreme patches into quarters.
I tried using a quarter of a patch, but it had minimal effect. I've gone back to using half a patch. I hadn't fully appreciated the positive impact it was having until I decided not to apply one this morning. By the afternoon, the baseline volume and reactivity had returned to pre-patch levels.

I've applied 9 (half) patches now. So far no effect. 11 left.

After how many days did you all start noticing the effects?
@Fields, do you have sound-reactive tinnitus? I noticed a slight effect after 3 to 5 days. I wore it for 18 hours a day for the first couple of days before gradually tapering it down.

I don't want to alarm anyone, but I was curious about Lidocaine as a potential treatment, so I read this study on transdermal Lidocaine for chronic subjective tinnitus. I'll admit I didn't read it thoroughly, but according to the study, lidocaine administration might actually worsen tinnitus:
The risks associated with IV lidocaine administration include arrhythmia, paresthesia, disequilibrium, and worsening of tinnitus. These side effects are attributed to the rapid absorption and rapid escalation of plasma concentrations during infusion.
In the conclusion, it states:
Despite this result, only a small subset of patients chose to continue therapy due to known side effects of therapy, cost of therapy, or unmet expectations.
You might want to be cautious if you're using Lidocaine patches for self-medication.

I haven't tested the patches long enough or consistently enough to reach a definitive conclusion, but the two times I've used them, I definitely noticed some relief, and my tinnitus seemed quieter. Even though the tinnitus fluctuates regularly, the relief felt more significant than the usual quieter or less noticeable fluctuations.

As others have mentioned, the tinnitus did seem to return a bit more noticeably after the first use, but then it seemed to return to baseline. I'm trying not to use the patches too often, as I don't want to become reliant on them or risk any negative outcomes that others have experienced. However, I'm glad there's something that provides relief when needed.

If these patches can help, I wonder if there might be a more long-term treatment option that doesn't involve lidocaine or any potential side effects.

I bought the non-Aspercreme brand I linked earlier in the thread. I cut the patches into quarters, as they're twice as long as the Aspercreme brand patches (but only half as wide or tall). I wore one for at least 12 hours the first time and then only a few hours the second time before it fell off.

4% Lidocaine Maximum Strength Pain Relief Kinesiology Tape — Relieves Back Pain, Joints and Muscle Pains — Superior Sticking, Aluminum-Free Water Resistant, and USA Made — 2" x 10" Strips

I really hope that others might also find relief with such a simple and affordable treatment, and I am sorry to those who don't feel it helps.

You might want to be cautious if you're using Lidocaine patches for self-medication.
Living involves risks, and the biggest issue in this forum seems to be paranoia. Participants had to purchase their own patches, which were at 5% strength. This was a major reason many discontinued, along with concerns about appearance and skin irritation.

If you look at the graph, you'll see that the couple who experienced the worst outcomes had only about a 5-point increase in their TFI scores. An increase of less than 13 is generally considered insignificant.

Are you avoiding trying Auricle because some reported worsening tinnitus?
I haven't tested the patches long enough or consistently enough to reach a definitive conclusion, but the two times I've used them, I definitely noticed some relief, and my tinnitus seemed quieter. Even though the tinnitus fluctuates regularly, the relief felt more significant than the usual quieter or less noticeable fluctuations.

As others have mentioned, the tinnitus did seem to return a bit more noticeably after the first use, but then it seemed to return to baseline. I'm trying not to use the patches too often, as I don't want to become reliant on them or risk any negative outcomes that others have experienced. However, I'm glad there's something that provides relief when needed.

If these patches can help, I wonder if there might be a more long-term treatment option that doesn't involve lidocaine or any potential side effects.

I bought the non-Aspercreme brand I linked earlier in the thread. I cut the patches into quarters, as they're twice as long as the Aspercreme brand patches (but only half as wide or tall). I wore one for at least 12 hours the first time and then only a few hours the second time before it fell off.

4% Lidocaine Maximum Strength Pain Relief Kinesiology Tape — Relieves Back Pain, Joints and Muscle Pains — Superior Sticking, Aluminum-Free Water Resistant, and USA Made — 2" x 10" Strips

I really hope that others might also find relief with such a simple and affordable treatment, and I am sorry to those who don't feel it helps.
I'm glad you've found them effective! A week or two is really needed; otherwise, you'll never know if they work. The study duration was three months. Yes, the symptoms may return, but they're not worse. It just feels that way after experiencing some relief. You'll need surgical tape to keep them in place.

Here's a shot in the dark, @Nick47: What are your thoughts about applying them to my cheek at the TMJ location (specifically, the joint)? I'm wondering if it might help with the reactivity I'm experiencing, which seems to stem from that area. Or should we focus on the DCN area, since that's where the processing occurs?

Here's a shot in the dark, @Nick47: What are your thoughts about applying them to my cheek at the TMJ location (specifically, the joint)? I'm wondering if it might help with the reactivity I'm experiencing, which seems to stem from that area. Or should we focus on the DCN area, since that's where the processing occurs?
@ccm302, experiment with it. It's only because others have tried that we realized this patch can help some people with tinnitus. That's also how we discovered Retigabine—through citizen science.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now