Custom Earplugs (ACS, Elacin, Etymotic, Westone, etc.)

Yo @Snake, sorry to hear this my friend.

I had to wear my ACS moulds with PRO20 filters for 12 hours last Saturday at a family event, and I had absolutely no problem with the minor occlusion effect they generated. In short, it was thanks to them I was able to enjoy the whole day (as opposed to just enduring it).

Though I suppose we're all going to perceive different levels of occlusion, due to our own varying degrees of hyperacusis.

Just two questions:

1) Have you worn them outside yet? If so, for how long?

2) How do you find the occlusion effect using them, in comparison to using foam earplugs?
The occlusion effect for me is off the charts, I can hear even my arm moving, my whole body moving, every step, really I can't even walk.

In foam earplugs the occlusion is WAAAAAAAAAY lower, like day and night. For me in foam earplugs the problem is that I can't hear people, occlusion effect is acceptable there (well walking is still boomy but I don't hear my whole body moving...). Here it's astronomically higher.

Can't go with the the ACS moulds outside as I can't even walk.

Did they mess something with my molds or what? I just want something like foam earplugs but with less protection / isolation so I can still hear people, nothing more :(

The occlusion effect for me is off the charts, I can hear even my arm moving, my whole body moving, every step, really I can't even walk.

In foam earplugs the occlusion is WAAAAAAAAAY lower, like day and night. For me in foam earplugs the problem is that I can't hear people, occlusion effect is acceptable there (well walking is still boomy but I don't hear my whole body moving...). Here it's astronomically higher.

Can't go with the the ACS moulds outside as I can't even walk.

Did they mess something with my molds or what? I just want something like foam earplugs but with less protection / isolation so I can still hear people, nothing more :(
Sounds like your molds are not deep enough.

It could be a defect in your molds or it could be your impressions were not taken deep enough.

Contact ACS and discuss your options. In the US, they give you something like 60 days from receipt to make any changes free of charge. I don't know their policy elsewhere.

Sounds like your molds are not deep enough.

It could be a defect in your molds or it could be your impressions were not taken deep enough.

Contact ACS and discuss your options. In the US, they give you something like 60 days from receipt to make any changes free of charge. I don't know their policy elsewhere.
I think this is a good hypothesis and suggestion from @kingsfan.

The only way we're going to be any the wiser on what's happened here, is by you getting a second pair of moulds and earplugs produced.

In foam earplugs the occlusion is WAAAAAAAAAY lower, like day and night.
I'd say this further supports what @kingsfan has said, as you're not experiencing such severe occlusion in foam plugs; which suggests your unique experience is not down to your hyperacusis.
Just think of this as a minor setback. Similar things have happened to me before with custom moulds, that have made me want to give up entirely. But by contacting ACS (or any other brand for that matter) you can usually get these mishaps sorted. These are custom providers after all, remember, so they can always modify specifications to meet your needs.

At what noise level do you guys put in your custom earplugs?

I find wearing them at lower levels means my tinnitus sometimes spikes due to occlusion when talking a lot.

So the custom plugs I got from 1of1 Custom (PRO 26) are causing me too much bothersome occlusion and ear pressure issues after extended use. I'm wondering why these problems are occurring... I'm thinking it's either the moldings weren't properly done during the impressions or the ends of the earplugs don't go deep enough to create a tight seal. The ends of my earplugs appear too short if I'm being honest, but I'm not an expert on custom earplugs. So I don't know.

One interesting thing I noticed though is that when I try to push the PRO 26s further into my ears after they're already inserted, the occlusion significantly decreases, and it feels far more comfortable to talk with the earplugs in.

I submitted a remake request for my earplugs with deeper inserts and this is the message I got from their lab:
His molds are made with the maximum aval. impression depth that we can offer at this time w/o new impressions. Unfortunately to improve upon canal depth we will need better impressions with a deeper, more full canal profile.

We are happy to do a one time remake per your request and will do our best to get these deeper however please know that a deeper canal may cause more pressure or discomfort. If that is the case, we will not remake these further without a small labor fee as this does go beyond our standard modeling practices.
Looks like I need to redo the impressions, but now I'm being told that making deeper earplugs might cause more pressure and discomfort. I'm not buying it. I noticed the deeper I insert an earplug (especially foam), the feeling of occlusions is significantly reduced.

Wondering if anyone has ever had custom earplugs with deeper ends? Have there been any issues?

So the custom plugs I got from 1of1 Custom (PRO 26) are causing me too much bothersome occlusion and ear pressure issues after extended use. I'm wondering why these problems are occurring... I'm thinking it's either the moldings weren't properly done during the impressions or the ends of the earplugs don't go deep enough to create a tight seal.
In my mind the logic goes the other way around: the increase in occlusion effect and pressure is positively correlated with how tight a seal they create: the tighter the seal, the less noise can go through and escape to the "outside world", the higher the feeling of occlusion and pressure.

Custom moldings are designed to create a tight seal (that's why they get your imprint so it fits "like a glove"). Yours could be doing "too good of a job".

So the custom plugs I got from 1of1 Custom (PRO 26) are causing me too much bothersome occlusion and ear pressure issues after extended use. I'm wondering why these problems are occurring... I'm thinking it's either the moldings weren't properly done during the impressions or the ends of the earplugs don't go deep enough to create a tight seal. The ends of my earplugs appear too short if I'm being honest, but I'm not an expert on custom earplugs. So I don't know.

One interesting thing I noticed though is that when I try to push the PRO 26s further into my ears after they're already inserted, the occlusion significantly decreases, and it feels far more comfortable to talk with the earplugs in.

I submitted a remake request for my earplugs with deeper inserts and this is the message I got from their lab:

Looks like I need to redo the impressions, but now I'm being told that making deeper earplugs might cause more pressure and discomfort. I'm not buying it. I noticed the deeper I insert an earplug (especially foam), the feeling of occlusions is significantly reduced.

Wondering if anyone has ever had custom earplugs with deeper ends? Have there been any issues?
The ear pressure is how I know I have a good seal. I think that is just the nature of silicone earplugs. I think maybe when you are pressing them in, you are losing seal and allowing sound to escape, hence less occlusion.

Can you post a photo of your molds?

In my mind the logic goes the other way around: the increase in occlusion effect and pressure is positively correlated with how tight a seal they create: the tighter the seal, the less noise can go through and escape to the "outside world", the higher the feeling of occlusion and pressure.

Custom moldings are designed to create a tight seal (that's why they get your imprint so it fits "like a glove"). Yours could be doing "too good of a job".
Thanks for your input. If that's the case, I guess deeper molds won't make much of a difference then with the occlusion effect. I should point that I suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I have trouble equalizing pressure and constant crackling sounds when swallowing. Would that also present an issue in relation to the occlusion effect?

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to the occlusion effect than others. I just wish it were kept to a minimal. It's annoying having to hear loud booms go off with each footstep I take.
Can you post a photo of your molds?
Let me know what you think. I appreciate your advice. Do you think I should still proceed with remaking deeper molds?

63495A48-2D55-4FFC-879B-7A13314E4A4C.jpeg

BAB9886E-783A-4DBB-99C7-50E9A6436E7C.jpeg

34E85684-6233-4FA9-853C-D903219613DC.jpeg

Thanks for your input. If that's the case, I guess deeper molds won't make much of a difference then with the occlusion effect. I should point that I suffer from Eustachian Tube Dysfunction. I have trouble equalizing pressure and constant crackling sounds when swallowing. Would that also present an issue in relation to the occlusion effect?

Maybe I'm just more sensitive to the occlusion effect than others. I just wish it were kept to a minimal. It's annoying having to hear loud booms go off with each footstep I take.

Let me know what you think. I appreciate your advice. Do you think I should still proceed with remaking deeper molds?

View attachment 55767

View attachment 55768

View attachment 55763
They look like they are a decent length. There's really no harm in having them redone. It seems like a lot of people have them tweaked. I probably would have as well, but I procrastinated since they don't make it easy to contact someone right away.

They look like they are a decent length. There's really no harm in having them redone. It seems like a lot of people have them tweaked. I probably would have as well, but I procrastinated since they don't make it easy to contact someone right away.
So I just received my remade PRO26 customs. The ends are more deeper, especially on the red dotted plug. I also added grips this time around. I haven't tested it out yet.

IMG_3359.jpeg

I need to remove my 26 dB filter on my previous plugs. I was wondering if you have any tips and suggestions on how to remove the filters and set them back in? I've actually never done it before despite having multiple interchangeable filters in the past.

I need to remove my 26 dB filter on my previous plugs. I was wondering if you have any tips and suggestions on how to remove the filters and set them back in? I've actually never done it before despite having multiple interchangeable filters in the past.
Just kind of pinch the top of the plug down towards itself and the filter will pop out.

To put in, set the filter on a table with the inside facing up. Then push the earplug down onto it.

I was able to improve the sealing of my custom earplugs with this product.

It's expensive for a tiny tube, but did reduce the occlusion effect a small but noticeable amount and also makes the plugs much easier to get in and out.

Just kind of pinch the top of the plug down towards itself and the filter will pop out.

To put in, set the filter on a table with the inside facing up. Then push the earplug down onto it.
Success. You're an expert at giving helpful and detailed instructions just so you know.

Much appreciated.

Success. You're an expert at giving helpful and detailed instructions just so you know.

Much appreciated.
Hey, thanks. I've always felt I have a difficult time expressing my thoughts, so that's a major compliment.

It's expensive for a tiny tube, but did reduce the occlusion effect a small but noticeable amount and also makes the plugs much easier to get in and out.
I've used that stuff. It does work well, but I didn't like the residue it left in my ears and on my plugs. It was difficult to clean off. That's mainly why I choose Oto-ease.

Should the cream be used on both the inside of your ear canal and the earplugs?

Should the cream be used on both the inside of your ear canal and the earplugs?
I just put a few dabs on the earplug. It doesn't need much, and no need to put it in your ear. However, as @kingsfan says above, it does leave residue that needs to be wiped off so I'm going to try the other product he recommends and see how it compares.

Weird.

I've been testing my recently remade 1of1 custom earplugs over the past few days, and my initial impressions were promising – at least so I thought. There was minimal occlusion effect to my surprise, but it didn't take long to realize that the noise reduction was significantly weaker for some odd reason. It turns out that my left plug is fitting improperly. It's too loose and easily wiggles out, making it hard to get a good seal. I'm thinking they must had made a mistake in designing the mold.

But here's the strange part, I went back to my original 1of1 custom earplugs to compare and that left plug was also loose all of a sudden. Wtf... not sure what the heck is going on here. How can my original left plug be loose now? This can't be a faulty earplug design, can it? Did the shape of ear canal change all of a sudden?

I'm feeling disappointed once again. I honestly want to give up. I think I'll try doing new ear impressions taken by a qualified audiologist instead of a representative working for a company. Tell them about my issues.

My next choices will either be Phonak or Sensaphonics. Anyone have any experiences with those brands?

Weird.

I've been testing my recently remade 1of1 custom earplugs over the past few days, and my initial impressions were promising – at least so I thought. There was minimal occlusion effect to my surprise, but it didn't take long to realize that the noise reduction was significantly weaker for some odd reason. It turns out that my left plug is fitting improperly. It's too loose and easily wiggles out, making it hard to get a good seal. I'm thinking they must had made a mistake in designing the mold.

But here's the strange part, I went back to my original 1of1 custom earplugs to compare and that left plug was also loose all of a sudden. Wtf... not sure what the heck is going on here. How can my original left plug be loose now? This can't be a faulty earplug design, can it? Did the shape of ear canal change all of a sudden?

I'm feeling disappointed once again. I honestly want to give up. I think I'll try doing new ear impressions taken by a qualified audiologist instead of a representative working for a company. Tell them about my issues.

My next choices will either be Phonak or Sensaphonics. Anyone have any experiences with those brands?
Mine don't seal when my ears are dry. If you aren't doing so already, try using one of the 2 products we have mentioned here. Also make sure the plugs are clean. They pick up little hairs and fuzz easily.

Mine don't seal when my ears are dry. If you aren't doing so already, try using one of the 2 products we have mentioned here. Also make sure the plugs are clean. They pick up little hairs and fuzz easily.
Thanks, will try. Waiting for the Oto-Ease to be delivered. Honestly, I'm just feeling defeated with these plugs. They're causing intense ear pressure and ETD problems afterwards. Foam might be uncomfortable, but it has never caused these problems for me.

I'm going to see an audiologist, explain them my situation and show them my plugs. Hopefully they can figure something out for me. I've been eyeing Phonak as my next brand of choice.

This one is particular:

157259C4-9FA2-457B-BE08-9EA7803C3870.jpeg

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing custom fit earplugs to better protect my ears.

1. After consulting with my audiologist and learning about the Westone options they work with, I am between two models: the musician's earplugs they currently call DefendEar Concert (Style 49) and the TRU Custom. How has been your experience with those? How do they compare?

2. The audiologist said the musician's earplugs (DefendEar Concert) costs about $360 a pair and the TRU Custom about $300 a pair (I am in the US, so US dollars). Is this about right? It sounded significantly more expensive than mentions I found in online forums from one or two years ago.

Thanks for your help!

Hi all,

I am considering purchasing custom fit earplugs to better protect my ears.

1. After consulting with my audiologist and learning about the Westone options they work with, I am between two models: the musician's earplugs they currently call DefendEar Concert (Style 49) and the TRU Custom. How has been your experience with those? How do they compare?

2. The audiologist said the musician's earplugs (DefendEar Concert) costs about $360 a pair and the TRU Custom about $300 a pair (I am in the US, so US dollars). Is this about right? It sounded significantly more expensive than mentions I found in online forums from one or two years ago.

Thanks for your help!
The only difference between the two are the brand of filters that fit them. The DefendEar fits Etymotic brand filters while the Tru Customs use Westone's own filters.

Cosmetically, the DefendEars' filters protrude from the body of the earplugs while the Tru Customs are flush.

Looking at the attenuation charts of the filters, it seems that the Etymotic filters attenuate frequencies above 2 kHz more while the Tru Customs attenuate more lower frequencies. The Tru Customs do take a nice cut out of 2 kHz frequencies though but less at 4 kHz.

I would probably prefer the sound of Etymotic filters just from looking at the charts, but I wouldn't like that they protrude. I've heard accounts of people losing the filters while wearing them.

Etymotic (DefendEar)
IMG_2898.jpeg

Westone Tru Custom
IMG_2897.png

IMG_2896.png

I seem to be having difficulties with my ACS earplugs as well. I've got the PRO17. I just feel like they are uncomfortable. They refused a refit and said that the moulds done at Boots was the deepest - which again I also agree with because she asked if that felt deep enough. They just feel taxing on the ears, give me pressure problems and earache in general. I have to hold with finger in the left ear's mould to reduce occlusion.

The seal product you mentioned is not available in the UK or at least I cannot find it.

I don't know the next steps. Really annoyed as I need some earplugs to work for me.

I seem to be having difficulties with my ACS earplugs as well. I've got the PRO17. I just feel like they are uncomfortable. They refused a refit and said that the moulds done at Boots was the deepest - which again I also agree with because she asked if that felt deep enough. They just feel taxing on the ears, give me pressure problems and earache in general. I have to hold with finger in the left ear's mould to reduce occlusion.

The seal product you mentioned is not available in the UK or at least I cannot find it.

I don't know the next steps. Really annoyed as I need some earplugs to work for me.
I experience most of the same issues you have with your custom earplugs, except I don't get earaches with mine.

Although, I should mention that I always end up with excruciating aching pains after using foam earplugs after extended use (over 1 hour). It's probably because when they expand deep inside my narrow ear canals, it becomes really uncomfortable due to improper size. Literally one of the worst pains I've experienced to the point where my jaw starts to hurt. If you're dealing with earaches, it could be that your moulds weren't fitted properly.

If you are having occlusion, then you definitely have a seal.

I'm at a loss for what could make they uncomfortable for you except the molds being wrong. They should match your ear canals perfectly and thus exert no pressure against them.

Are you getting a suction effect that is causing the pressure? The suction is usually how I know I've got a good seal, but too much can cause some discomfort.

If you are having occlusion, then you definitely have a seal.

I'm at a loss for what could make they uncomfortable for you except the molds being wrong. They should match your ear canals perfectly and thus exert no pressure against them.

Are you getting a suction effect that is causing the pressure? The suction is usually how I know I've got a good seal, but too much can cause some discomfort.
OK, so I've given the earplugs another shot today. I'm not getting pressure or any sort pain. But I am getting irritation in my ear canals with them being in. It's almost like my ears don't like anything in there. Still torn between these and foam earplugs.

What is the attenuation like on the PRO26 ? I read that PRO27 filters are not universal fits so looking to get PRO26.

Do you get irritation in the ear canals from using the earplugs?

Oto-Ease has somewhat helped in reducing the discomfort and pain I get from foam earplugs (aching pains after extended use). It delays the aching pain and takes more longer for it to set in. I can go an hour and a half now without experiencing intense pain. Some minor success there.

It's unreal how painful foam earplugs can get for me. Trying to take foam earplugs out after 1 hour of use is such an agonizing unbearable task. Can anyone to relate to this madness?

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now