Don't See the Point Anymore to Staying

I want to believe you, I really do. But can you please point to some study that says this? Because everything I read and my first doctor told me otherwise. I just need some facts. If you find proof of this I would be very happy and it would probably end my worrying. But please can you provide proof of this?

http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/releases/305802.php?tw

Do you have problem hearing what other people say because of the noises around? If not, your brain should be able to recover fully.

I went to a doctor, who told me nothing could be done and I could see an ENT to get hearing test done but that is about it. Well, turns out they could have helped me but now its too late (with prednison).
Steroids - oral, IV, or intratympanic - may have an impact during the window of opportunity (which is about 48 hours about an auditory insult). Here is one study (which also documents the rapid decrease in recovery during that window of opportunity of 48 hours - it really does matter to get to the ER quickly):

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18463885

Can I ask about this? My doctor also said that hearing loss isn't considered permanent until 6 months and he has seen cases where if its mild hearing lose, the person can recover some/most/all over those months. Is this true? How is this true when first doctor I saw said hearing loss is permanent? I'm so confused who is telling the truth.
There are specific processes which occur in the inner ear after an auditory insult - they are accounted for by Auris Medical here:
While sensorineural hearing loss in the chronic stage is irreversible, all or part of it may recover in the acute stage thanks to cochlear repair mechanisms. The more severe the acute hearing loss is, the less likely spontaneous recovery becomes and the higher the risk for permanent damage and loss is. Usually, hearing recovery is most pronounced in the hours and days following the onset of acute hearing loss and tapering off over 4 to 5 weeks. In human beings, loss of cochlear hair cells or neurons is irreversible.
Source: http://aurismedical.com/inner-ear-disorders/hearing-loss

It is therefore - in my opinion - unlikely that patients will "suddenly" see recovery leading up to the six month mark. Like tinnitus, hearing loss is "surprisingly permanent" (in my own words).

Your best bet is - probably - to enroll with the AM-101 study (which I think you have done already). Hopefully you will get a good result with that (tinnitus-wise). After that you could contemplate doing a course of LLLT for your hearing loss - I have posted audiograms of that for the same reason:
I am slightly surprised it bothers you that much as it is "only" unilateral (and mild). But it is what it is.

I had a digestive issue that is incurable and required me to take pills for rest of my life (no, don't claim you have other options, I dont. Trust me, I have looked into this far longer than I need to discuss here).
I have no clue what digestive issues you have (since you don't mention them). Auto-immune disorders of the digestive system are one possibility. You mention you have done everything already (or words to that effect). Stem cell treatments are - however - still in their infancy and only just now being explored for various medical disorders. I was myself the first known case - in the world - to be treated for a specific autoimmune disorder of the eye (with 100% success). In fact, I have proved - in humans - what researchers are only now beginning to prove in animals. Stem cell therapy is excellent (only downside - currently - is the cost involved).

Lastly, the sub-standard knowledge displayed by certain members within this thread is disturbing.

attheedgeofscience
04/FEB/2016.

P.S. You may not consider yourself lucky, but, there are many people in your shoes who would happily trade places for a chance to enroll with the AM-101 study....

Again now I'm still lost. Many are saying one thing and limking to back up and then @attheedgeofscience says another.

So essentially who is right? I really have zero hope of regaining hearing according to edge? Or others linking to articles saying I do?

Seriously I did everything to protect my ears over the years, even wore earplugs during the time I lost my hearing, I'm done trying. This is just worthless...if I have no hope of getting my hearing back.

@attheedgeofscience, can I ask if LLLT would regain all my hearing? How long would it take? Can I ask what device I should buy to accomplish this? I read the thread but really can't conclude how to answer those questions. I can't go to germany to see the person out there unfortunately though who does the laser treatment.

@attheedgeofscience, can I ask if LLLT would regain all my hearing? How long would it take? Can I ask what device I should buy to accomplish this? I read the thread but really can't conclude how to answer those questions. I can't go to germany to see the person out there unfortunately though who does the laser treatment.
I haven't seen your audiograms. But I seem to recall you mentioning a loss of 40db at some frequency of yours. I gained 25db at 8 kHz during a 2 month period (could probably be achieved quicker by clinic grade therapy alone for say 3 weeks).
Can I ask what device I should buy to accomplish this?
I have shared my story. And the reasons behind it. There are plenty of people on this board who would like to see LLLT not succeed. Indeed, LLLT does lack a proper study for both hearing loss and tinnitus - tinnitus being the harder malady to prove efficacy of in a clinical setting.

However, my audiograms are genuine and authentic - which is relevant for those contemplating therapy for hearing loss alone. That is as much as I can say.

Good luck.

Can I suggest going to a place that gives a free hearing test and a trial with money back guarantee for hearing aids? Maybe get hearing aids with maskers if you need them? If the ringing goes away with just the hearing aids themselves, perhaps you could go to Costco which has very reasonable prices for aids or call around and see if you can't find a good deal. Many prices with other places are negotiable.

@jdjd09

http://www.hear-it.org/loud-music-damages-nerves-brain

"Scientists found that myelin loss, as a result of noise exposure, re-grows in time, meaning hearing can recover.

The work is part of ongoing research into the effects of loud noises on the cochlea nucleus, a brainstem region that receives sound signals from the inner ear. Based on these results, scientists may be able to develop a future treatment method."

I can't handle the hearing loss or other issues anymore. I can't wait for the trials to get real drug. I can't handle any of this anymore. I have ruined my life. The noise is so loud and the hearing/listening to music is ruined with the offset in hearing volumes between the ears.

I seriously can't live like this anymore at all. FOR PEOPLE WHO ONLY HAVE THE NOISE, TRUST ME I HAD THE NOISE BEFORE TOO. But the hearing loss in one ear changes everything, period.

Seriously, I almost ended it tonight. I can't take this. I had it before and got over it. This is a different thing, especially with the hearing loss. I can't take this.............and I can't touch anti-depressants/anti-anxiety because of AM-101. Help?

Seriously, I almost ended it tonight. I can't take this. I had it before and got over it. This is a different thing, especially with the hearing loss. I can't take this.............and I can't touch anti-depressants/anti-anxiety because of AM-101. Help?

It's going to get better! You have to be patient. You JUST did the injections. You can get hearing back, and it can go away! Why don't you try the chat? Talk to other members here, it did me so much good just to have a chat with some of the members.

@AlexSongitus, you got the proper treatment of prednisone when you got hearing loss. I didn't. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but after a month of still having hearing loss many say its gone at that point. I can't get over that and the ringing. If I got the proper treatment then yes, I would move on and have hope. I didn't get that though.

@AlexSongitus, you got the proper treatment of prednisone when you got hearing loss. I didn't. I'm not trying to be a jerk, but after a month of still having hearing loss many say its gone at that point. I can't get over that and the ringing. If I got the proper treatment then yes, I would move on and have hope. I didn't get that though.

No not necessarily! I was probably supposed to increase my dosage, like some people said, and I didn't! I just kept trying different things and by the time I found that out it has already been 2 weeks and now I am in the tapering off period! Last night I tried an antibiotic after yesterday my T was back full time. That seemed to have had a positive effect as well and today I have been the best I have since I started. It can come and go, you can try different things, it can have multiple causes, and multiple types of treatments, but one thing I can tell you is that it CAN GET BETTER!!!

Look I know you are part of the trial, but if it's so bad, I know even they wouldn't want you to suffer if you feel like you really need something to cope because of your emotional reactions to this. That doesn't sound right to me. Perhaps you can talk to some other members that are part of the AM-101 trials and see if there is something you can do to cope in the mean time, without messing that up.

So, I am 27 and had everything going for me. I was working a finance job, that I hated, but learned a lot about finance. I was doing Computer Science studies outside work. I was planning on quitting my job in a year finally and finishing my degree full time. Except I had a few issues. I had a digestive issue that is incurable and required me to take pills for rest of my life (no, don't claim you have other options, I dont. Trust me, I have looked into this far longer than I need to discuss here).

Then, I got a noisy neighbor last month. Well, luckily I was moving this month and have moved. But, to drown him out I put earplugs in a played loud headphone music. Well, this has now lead to me losing hearing and getting the ringing.

I went to a doctor, who told me nothing could be done and I could see an ENT to get hearing test done but that is about it. Well, turns out they could have helped me but now its too late (with prednison).

Well, got my hearing test done now 5 weeks later, and I have lost hearing. 40db at 8khz and 30db at 6 and 4khz in one ear. Other ear is fine.

Well, long of the short, don't see the point anymore. I had physical issues before this happened, but at least I had my mental ability.

Now, I can't even have that. I can't do my job, I can't study, I can't really sleep, and can't function. I'm probably going to lose my job soon because I'm not being productive.

Anyhow, I semi have lost the will or need to live anymore. I had my physical abilities taken away from me 3 years ago with the digestive issue. Now, I have taken the last asset I had, which was my brain.

I looked up hearing loss and cognitive ability and found that it does affect peoples intelligence. and cognition. It can effect how people learn and higher order functions as the brain adapts to the hearing loss. Also, dementia seems to set in sooner too.

Overall, I see no point to this suffering anymore. I had issues before this, but I really think this is the last straw.

If all I had was the ringing in my ear, then I would try to continue. However, the hearing loss is the last straw for me I feel.

I don't think I can continue like this. Don't know much else to say about this. If someone wants to chime in if you have HEARING LOSS measured and TINNITUS, I will hear some out. But, overall, I don't think this life is worth it anymore. It's sad to say that, but I think it is true.
Hey buddy, I'd like to just say that there is hope out there for correcting your hearing issue. The hard part is just dealing with it now and keeping your sanity in check until down the line a treatment is developed to help those with hearing loss and even tinnitus. Fortunately, our brain is plastic and can adapt to the damage related to your hearing. It's not going to be a comfortable change either and unfortunately, I can't say how well your brain can keep healthy down the line in your life because hearing loss has been linked to dementia, alzheimers, etc....

BUT, let me say that this is not the end for you and don't make this the end for you and I mean it from my heart. Make this a starting point of a slow but major change in your life. I mean realistically losing your hearing changes your brain so you're going to perceive life much differently, but make your own conscious changes in your life to adapt to having hearing loss and tinnitus. There are many ways to achieve a better and happier life and it just requires adding in certain tasks, requires a few things, and also may not be easy.

Life is not all glitz and glam. Life is sometimes what you have to make of it. There are millions of people out in this world that were born with or developed severe conditions not allowing them to enjoy themselves like a normal human being should be able to do. But they accept what they have and make the best of it. Things could be far off worse for you. You could of been in a car accident a day ago where you were paralyzed from the waist up and would probably have to live that way for the rest of your life. You of lost your arms or legs or developed some kind of disease that involved excruciating pain every second of the day. Now I'm not saying damaging your hearing is not an excruciating experience or easy to deal with, but really as of this moment you are able to function still and go about your day without needing guided assistance or any kind of help with performing simple tasks so be thankful for that.

Now these next things I'm about to mention unfortunately need assistance from a relatively green piece of paper that's called "cash" and will help you be able to be involved with these things.

1) Change your diet. Eat healthy starting now. Eating healthy is one of the best ways to not only lose weight but makes it possible for your body/brain to function at its tip top shape because of all the essential vitamins, minerals, amino acids, etc that it's being provided. I'm being serious about this one because over time it will benefit you greatly.

2) Exercise. Running each day or even getting a gym membership and lifting weights is one of the best ways to not only stay in shape but to FEEL GOOD AFTER. This will be a great way to keep your mind off of your hearing issues and to just take the edge off it. Just make sure you protect your hearing if you're working out inside a loud gym.

3) Start taking supplements. If needed I can list off the supplements and herbs I take to not only help my cognitive abilities but to feel better throughout the week. Taking vitamins and herbs can back up a healthy diet and help replenish the body even more if you are stressed out or exercising much more. Having a hearing issue will cause your body and brain to have to work much harder and this is much needed in your situation.

4) Be more social and try to get out more. Doing so can help take your mind off your issues hopefully and give you a new meaning to get through your day. If you like coffee, meet up with a friend and get some together. Start meeting new people. If you don't have a girlfriend, try and go out and meet women. Just work your hardest to not let this hearing problem end your life.

Now again, things will not be easy for a while in your life and trust me, I can associate what you're going through with what happened to my hearing. I literally lost my ability to hear music in the quality I did before. Scientifically speaking, I don't have the appropriate hearing functions anymore to do so. Music was my life growing up, my passion, something I was around everyday. It's gone now. My life has COMPLETELY changed. 100%. I've done everything I can to get my life back to what is was before but there is no physical way to do so until a treatment is made. It's affected my memory, my cognition, my enjoyment of life....at 21 years old.......but you know what the things is? Get over feeling sorry for yourself and make a change now. You will have to push harder in life from now on but there are changes you can make to help yourself feel better UNTIL a treatment/cure is developed to help your hearing loss/tinnitus. I can flat out say that there are companies out there working on developing a cure so there is strong hope for the future of hearing ailments. It's really all about dealing with the now and doing the best you can to keep going.

Death is not an option. You were put on this planet for a reason and killing yourself is not going to make anything better no matter how terrible you feel. There are people out there who care for you. Hopefully you had a good enough childhood to realize that. Believe me from everything that has happened over the past 5 months for me, I've wanted to kill myself too. But every time I move closer to wanting to I think about the people who are around me and love me. It's hard for me to love myself anymore especially when I don't feel happy most of the time and can't enjoy doing things I used to love with all my heart. But take this opportunity to maybe try something new in your life. If you've ever had a dream you wanted to fulfill growing up and never had the chance to, do it now. Create a new path in your life. The brain is an amazing 0rgan and what you do in your life shapes that blubbery pink thing and makes you who you are.

Make a change now. It's really not going to be easy honestly. I truthfully still struggle everyday and I think I'm going to need to start taking antidepressants to help me, but just keep pushing no matter how down you feel. There are many other options in this life that can bring you up (other than drugs lol) and your brain will adapt to what your hearing is over time.

If you need some extra hope I can link you to as many articles/documents/websites that are progressing in hearing loss damage and research. Just please don't hurt yourself. I mean really many people I know don't even understand what has happened to my hearing, how my life has completely changed, and how much I miss being able to hear music and enjoy the way I did before. I feel very alone at times but you know what? You just have to keep moving. Keep yourself occupied because one day we will have a treatment for hearing loss.

@jdjd09
You know what? let's crank up the intensity of what you fear in the form of a hypothetical:
What if you were totally deaf in that ear and had a colostomy bag? Is life not worth living? Why? (I pretty much described one of my dad's friends)
I Protest the presuppositions, upon which your reasoning and mania are clearly and completely based!

So, I am 27 and had everything going for me. I was working a finance job, that I hated, but learned a lot about finance. I was doing Computer Science studies outside work. I was planning on quitting my job in a year finally and finishing my degree full time. Except I had a few issues. I had a digestive issue that is incurable and required me to take pills for rest of my life (no, don't claim you have other options, I dont. Trust me, I have looked into this far longer than I need to discuss here).

Then, I got a noisy neighbor last month. Well, luckily I was moving this month and have moved. But, to drown him out I put earplugs in a played loud headphone music. Well, this has now lead to me losing hearing and getting the ringing.

Well, got my hearing test done now 5 weeks later, and I have lost hearing. 40db at 8khz and 30db at 6 and 4khz in one ear. Other ear is fine.

Well, long of the short, don't see the point anymore. I had physical issues before this happened, but at least I had my mental ability.

Now, I can't even have that. I can't do my job, I can't study, I can't really sleep, and can't function. I'm probably going to lose my job soon because I'm not being productive.

Anyhow, I semi have lost the will or need to live anymore. I had my physical abilities taken away from me 3 years ago with the digestive issue. Now, I have taken the last asset I had, which was my brain.

I looked up hearing loss and cognitive ability and found that it does affect peoples intelligence. and cognition. It can effect how people learn and higher order functions as the brain adapts to the hearing loss. Also, dementia seems to set in sooner too.

Overall, I see no point to this suffering anymore. I had issues before this, but I really think this is the last straw.

If all I had was the ringing in my ear, then I would try to continue. However, the hearing loss is the last straw for me I feel.

I don't think I can continue like this. Don't know much else to say about this. If someone wants to chime in if you have HEARING LOSS measured and TINNITUS, I will hear some out. But, overall, I don't think this life is worth it anymore. It's sad to say that, but I think it is true.

Sorry to hear you're having such a terrible time with life.

You're only 27, and you have a lot of life ahead of you probably, regardless of that digestive issue. Trust me when I say that I've felt very similar before, emotionally. I used to have very terrible anxiety issues about my eyesight, hearing, and what was going on with my heart. I only took one medication when it was really, really bad for about three months. That medication taught me that things are 'okay', and that I'm not dying. Let me tell you, though, besides that, I've come to realize that these types of medications are things doctors will try and reel you in on forever.

There's so many things you can do to alleviate anxiety, stress, and depression that don't involve medications, it's ridiculous. In the modern world, however, this fact is overwritten in most peoples' brains from their doctor claiming it's never curable, or that pills are the only sure way to fix it. So they just live out their lives taking a drug that's, 99% of the time, not even necessary, just riding that infamous train so many people ride on.

I'd suggest just not entirely trusting when a doctor says that medication is the only solvent for your issue. Pharmaceutical companies want money, and they get a lot of money, lots of it. This is in part due to what I said about doctors telling you what you were told, as well as people not taking care of themselves at all, then taking medications until they die from a disease (most of the time).

I would also advise against reading simple articles online and taking one or two peoples' words for a specific issue like this. Like someone else said, you're essentially just digging yourself into a deeper and deeper hole doing this. I would at most, read studies that have been done on your issue, and checking who carried them out.

I'm not saying not to trust doctors, but the world is based around making money, and that dictates how public facilities like most hospitals operate. The world is like, in this weird riptide where the government seems to be holding off realizing what's actually going on, just so they can make as much money as possible before stuff seriously goes wrong because of it.

I know friends that got CS degrees by the way, and are making quite a nice salary, so if you do follow through with that, you will be living comfortably.

You need to start viewing life as an opportunity, and not allowing a doctor, and some online findings dictate if you're going to end your life or not. Start eating more plentiful foods if you aren't already. I'm serious, I can't recommend this enough if you're feeling like crap mentally. I stopped eating most processed things, cut out junk food, stopped drinking soda-pop for the most part, and just smartened up. I did this in succession with walking everyday and eventually running/hiking. Years later, I feel way, _way_ better than I used to. I look back and think that if I chose to end my life over something like that, it'd of been an indefinite waste.

Just take everything step-by-step. The world is your oyster, no matter what anyone says about it, period.

Hey,

It will get better - just give it time. If you're struggling, go see a doctor and get some anti-anxiety medication. It really helps when it first starts and it's a shock to the brain.

It's hard to believe it will get better but it will. Have a read of some of the success stories.

Stay positive, find support where you can. Big hugs.

@jdjd09,
Will you be fitted with a duel purpose hearing aid with masked setting or a hearing aid you can stream natural sounds too ? ...
Don't give up hope. ....lots of love glynis

I have ruined my life. The noise is so loud and the hearing/listening to music is ruined with the offset in hearing volumes between the ears.
You have not ruined your life. The brain has a strange way of compensating for these kind of things; it just takes time. Speaking as someone with NO hearing on one side, I can tell you it does not bother me. Sure it would be nice if I had perfect hearing, but it does not bother me on a day to day basis. I live a good, happy life. What will happen to you is after several months, you will not even be able to tell the difference. It will seem like your hearing is has always been the way it is now and you won't notice any offset.

-Mike

Hi, sorry that you are having such a bad time, I'm quite new myself, I have had sudden deafness and T with H since beginning of December.
I also had other health problems and on meds and didn't know where to turn until I found this forum, there are lots of good people on here who have good advice for you.
I felt the way you do now, so have many others, it's a tragic reaction to what we experience, BUT you really will feel better with time, read some success stories and you will see that your life will become happy again.
I can assure you that you will feel differently in time, do take advice about medication and support from people on this forum who have been in the same place that you are now.
Big hugs xxxxxxx
Charron, I should have read you're post earlier. I pretty much said the same as you......

@gary it doesn't matter, what's important is to let newbies know that we all feel this way, it does get better, I'm 2 months in and have more good days than bad BUT I will never forget my first month and the people here who helped me through,.
It's been the hardest thing I have ever faced, and I have led a very full life, it's a shame more people don't know about this problem xxxx

Charron, you correct on all counts. When people ask me what kind of ear problem and I tell them tinnitus, they will say Oh yeah Tendinitis (inflammation of a tendon) my so and so has that, but it does not bother their ear/ears.

You are living up to you're Mood!!

My friend has had no hearing on his left ear since birth .
He´s a DJ and a huge music lover.

I know a girl who works as a manager for a beachside bar and was born without a right ear. She's a very happy chick and luckily has no T. She said to me, "if I had what you had, it would drive me crazy !"

I Joked and said, "It would be a short trip!" };-)

Thanks for all your replies. I'll be honest I don't know if I will even be alive in a few months. I can't see myself living with this hearing loss. I protected my ears endlessly and made one mistake and now have hearing loss in one ear. I can't see how I can afford hearing aid right now in 20s and can't believe I would need to wear one now either.

I had hope of hearing loss cure in 10 years with novartis and genvec, but it looks like they may have stopped doing research and haulted the study. So what, is that the end thrn.? They are just going to stop the study?

I truly have no hope or will to live anymore. I had to drop out of my classes and also am possibly going to lose my finance job here soon too.

Overall my life is over and its sad that one little mistake cause d this. And all the doctors had to do was help me and didn't. I'm pretty much close to the end here, its really sad.

I protected my ears endlessly and made one mistake and now have hearing loss in one ear.
@jdjd09 Exactly my situation. Except someone else caused my hearing loss, associated tinnitus and hyperacusis. Try to forget what happened. Regret can be a powerful destructor.
I had hope of hearing loss cure in 10 years with novartis and genvec, but it looks like they may have stopped doing research and haulted the study. So what, is that the end thrn.? They are just going to stop the study?
This is only one company. It is not certain at all they will not continue. Actually I think they will continue. Than there are other companies working on future therapies. Did you have a read through this thread: https://www.tinnitustalk.com/threads/inner-ear-hair-cell-regeneration-—-maybe-we-can-know-more.3131/
After my NIHL my world collapsed. Sometimes I still feel very down, but I get energy to go on from the notion that hearing restoration seems to get momentum and companies are interested in investing (and already have invested) in this field of medicine. Just look at what universities like Stanford and Harvard, to name just a few, are doing. How about hearing health foundation and action on hearing loss. There is much out there to focus on if you feel there is no hope for a future cure.

Thanks for all your replies. I'll be honest I don't know if I will even be alive in a few months. I can't see myself living with this hearing loss. I protected my ears endlessly and made one mistake and now have hearing loss in one ear. I can't see how I can afford hearing aid right now in 20s and can't believe I would need to wear one now either.

I truly have no hope or will to live anymore. I had to drop out of my classes and also am possibly going to lose my finance job here soon too.

Overall my life is over and its sad that one little mistake cause d this. And all the doctors had to do was help me and didn't. I'm pretty much close to the end here, its really sad.
I recommend taking benzodiazepines until an SSRI starts working. You aren't thinking straight at all. You are overvaluing perfect hearing. You still have a good ear, and can still hear enough to do your work and go to school. Besides by the time you are 50 you can have nano-bots repair your hearing or something.

@jdjd09 ,
Try to stay positive that life will get better and you might get a hearing aid in the future.
I know its frustrating having hearing loss and tinnitus but life isn't all doom and gloom.
Try to focus on the positives in life and know your an important caring person loved by family and even us guys on here.
Dont put yourself down and work hard to regain any lost confidence.
Life can be tough in this rat race and dealing with health issues .
I have struggling days and today is one of them waking up to being sick and dizzy and blasting ears.
I have my hearing aids in and know as my extra meds kick in through the day I will pick up a bit.

I hate to think you feel the way you do as not having a hearing aid to help you.

please try not blame yourself about having tinnitus and hearing loss as there are lots of causes and some no control over like the flu.

Stay positive and we are all here for you...lots of love glynis

Just a quick add, I got mine in 2012. Hearing loss both sides at 4,6 and 8 khz. T only on one side.
Skip all thats has happened to me since but in 2015 my test showed my hearing had improved. I did'nt get details, did'nt care as it was not my main issue.
I never got a thing done and no prednisalone so there is hope.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now