• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

The lady running the study who called me said it's injected through the ear drum, and it's something they do all the time for other things and that it's safe. It certainly made me more intrigued than prior.
Intratympanic injections are nothing new to the medical field. Just imagine if this stuff does help with tinnitus? They weren't looking at it before, but maybe something in phase 1 made them want to look into it further. The whole medical community has pretty much all agreed on the idea that hearing regeneration would help.

Intratympanic injections are nothing new to the medical field. Just imagine if this stuff does help with tinnitus? They weren't looking at it before, but maybe something in phase 1 made them want to look into it further. The whole medical community has pretty much all agreed on the idea that hearing regeneration would help.
No man. Tinnitus has been on their minds. There is an ancient Reddit thread where there is a person under the name of "The Leviathan" that was taking flak for expressing his opinion that hair cell regeneration could help with tinnitus. The flak was very similar to the kind of small minded nay-sayer stuff we see here on this site regarding potential treatments. "The Leviathan" claimed to have been a member of the lab that discovered this and is very likely to be William McLean. This was all well before phase 1.

What's really funny is that I don't even think that's true in my case.

Audion REGAIN has almost completed phase 2 and they have secured finances. They are a phase ahead of Frequency Therapeutics. I don't get the hype around FX-322.
Where can I find an article or link that the 'REGAIN' project has almost completed the phase 2 study?

Especially here, now that there's an anecdote floating around about a guy having his tinnitus improve after being in the trial.
Where can I find a link to the anecdote?

Thank you both for letting me know. :)

The thing about intratympanic injections is that, yes, they do it all the time, but not one intratympanic delivered drug is approved for any condition. It's all off-label use of dexamethasone used for acoustic trauma, Meniere's disease and sudden hearing loss because there isn't really anything else. And yes, concentrations of dexamethasone in inner ear perilymph is higher than if taken orally, but it's still a very tiny amount. I just don't know where Frequency Therapeutics gets the confidence from with regards to intratympanic injections.

No man. Tinnitus has been on their minds. There is an ancient Reddit thread where there is a person under the name of "The Leviathan" that was taking flak for expressing his opinion that hair cell regeneration could help with tinnitus. The flak was very similar to the kind of small minded nay-sayer stuff we see here on this site regarding potential treatments. "The Leviathan" claimed to have been a member of the lab that discovered this and is very likely to be William McLean. This was all well before phase 1.

What's really funny is that I don't even think that's true in my case.
The premise in the message of that guy is based on the statement that many patients with tinnitus improve when they have a hearing aid because "it increases the sound input".

I personally do not agree with this statement. I think many hearing aid patients "improve" or think they improve their tinnitus symptom simply because the noise they hear from outside increases, and that masks their tinnitus sound. But tinnitus sound does not decrease in volume from having a hearing aid on.

I am sorry for my bad English.

I have been reading this thread, but I would like to know if there is really any "proof" that these types of treatments, -the Regain thing, FX-322, the Hough Ear Institute's pill - will help with tinnitus or if these are just our assumptions.

I have been reading this thread, but I would like to know if there is really any "proof" that these types of treatments, -the Regain thing, FX-322, the Hough Ear Institute's pill - will help with tinnitus or if these are just our assumptions.
There will be double blinded placebo control data available from the current FX-322 trial in about a year regarding whether or not this helps with tinnitus. This is all very new, so there is no direct data to support it yet.

The premise in the message of that guy is based on the statement that many patients with tinnitus improve when they have a hearing aid because "it increases the sound input".

I personally do not agree with this statement. I think many hearing aid patients "improve" or think they improve their tinnitus symptom simply because the noise they hear from outside increases, and that masks their tinnitus sound. But tinnitus sound does not decrease in volume from having a hearing aid on.

Also you may want to look into residual inhibition and reconsider your assumptions.

I am not saying you are wrong, but residual inhibition, to me at least, suggests that there is more than just masking at play here...

Frequency Therapeutics may be backtracking a little bit. On Slide 11: "FX-322 designed to enable hearing in higher frequency ranges critical for understanding speech".

Slide 22 & 23 provide a diagram that illustrates FX-322 has highest concentrations just past 4000 Hz.

Hough directly states it helps tinnitus greatly - how they know this, I don't know.

It's certainly interesting that we have 3 or 4 companies coming to the table, testing essentially the "same" therapy. There must be something to it, because among the 4 of them there's probably hundreds of millions being thrown at this.

I think many hearing aid patients "improve" or think they improve their tinnitus symptom simply because the noise they hear from outside increases, and that masks their tinnitus sound. But tinnitus sound does not decrease in volume from having a hearing aid on.
The problem with hearing aids is that they don´t cover high frequencies, where tinnitus is usually located.

Frequency Therapeutics may be backtracking a little bit. On Slide 11: "FX-322 designed to enable hearing in higher frequency ranges critical for understanding speech".

Slide 22 & 23 provide a diagram that illustrates FX-322 has highest concentrations just past 4000 Hz.
That's actually still considered in the range for "high frequency hearing loss." The diagram shows it tapering off distal to 4000 Hz but didn't imply these were the highest frequencies. It only makes sense that the higher the frequency, the more drug exposure because it's closer to the point of entry.

That's actually still considered in the range for "high frequency hearing loss." The diagram shows it tapering off distal to 4000 Hz but didn't imply these were the highest frequencies. It only makes sense that the higher the frequency, the more drug exposure because it's closer to the point of entry.
I guess I had higher hopes this could help people with hearing loss lower than 4000 Hz.

The thing about intratympanic injections is that, yes, they do it all the time, but not one intratympanic delivered drug is approved for any condition. It's all off-label use of dexamethasone used for acoustic trauma, Meniere's disease and sudden hearing loss because there isn't really anything else. And yes, concentrations of dexamethasone in inner ear perilymph is higher than if taken orally, but it's still a very tiny amount. I just don't know where Frequency Therapeutics gets the confidence from with regards to intratympanic injections.
What are their options as of now with existing technology?

What are their options as of now with existing technology?
There aren't any other inner ear drug delivery methods that are approved (as far as I know). I think we'll get intracochlear injections first. That won't change much with regards to bioavailability in the apex of the cochlea, but you're at least certain that what you're injecting reaches the cochlea. Intratympanic injections are unpredictable in that regard. You never know how much permeates. With intracochlear injections you penetrate the round window membrane and then inject the drug.

And maybe there's also a way, like @JohnAdams has suggested before, to optimize intratympanic delivery.

Additionally, the RWM has shown to be highly sensitive to manipulation in an effort to increase the diffusion rate of substances. Mikulec et al. (2008) demonstrated that the RWM permeability can be increased through introducing dry suctioning near the membrane along with preservatives such as benzyl alcohols and increasing osmolality of the substance.

https://www.frontiersin.org/articles/10.3389/fncel.2019.00261/full

Frequency posted a detailed corporate presentation this morning:
https://investors.frequencytx.com/static-files/6d161090-16f5-49f4-9606-8caceb5a88a1
That's straight from their slides:

"Phase 1/2 results provided evidence of hearing restoration with favorable safety profile"

In fact the improvements are statistically significant and that's with a single low dose of the drug.

If anything, I am disapointed that there's been no mention of tinnitus in their slide.

Who else here is waiting to hear back from Frequency Therapeutics whether they qualify for the trial or not?
So far, all of us that reported hearing back were rejected. I do believe the odds are *someone* on here will be part of the trial. There is a NDA, though, so I'm not sure how much they can tell us, though. Also no way to know if they are placebo or not.

It's crazy to think someone could be regrowing their hair cells as I type this.

That's straight from their slides:

"Phase 1/2 results provided evidence of hearing restoration with favorable safety profile"

In fact the improvements are statistically significant and that's with a single low dose of the drug.

If anything, I am disapointed that there's been no mention of tinnitus in their slide.
Very interesting! Looks like they settled on this being only effective for 3500-16000 Hz. It even says FX-322 is "designed for higher frequencies". No it's not, it's a cope. That's a big chunk of hearing they are leaving out. That sucks...

I think some drug will still penetrate those areas. I have hopes this drug will extend further than the zone of high concentration but may need additional rounds.
We'll see after Phase 2 but I highly doubt it. Remember, there's not a lot of literature backing up the premise that intratympanic delivered drugs reach the apex. We probably need a better delivery method for that.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now