• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I submitted my audiograms. They said I didn't qualify, which is confusing because I have high frequency hearing loss. When I asked what the exclusion criteria was, they wouldn't tell me. Fuck them and their bullshit.

Should I try to get in the trial if I live in Miami, Florida and the closest location is Boca Raton? It's kind of a far drive.

Also do you guys think there's still some risk with multiple doses since they only tested one dose in phase 1?

I think that if anything we will have high frequency hearing loss treated at first. That's awesome because that's what's damaged when the ears are exposed to excessive noise.
Not really.

In theory, the damage matches the density of energy of the noise that gave you that damage. If you get hurt by a fog horn, you are likely to get losses in the low frequencies, not high.

That's why the "tell" for "too much music" is a notch around 4 kHz.

I submitted my audiograms. They said I didn't qualify, which is confusing because I have high frequency hearing loss. When I asked what the exclusion criteria was, they wouldn't tell me. Fuck them and their bullshit.
Do you have hearing loss in the range of 250 and 8000 Hz, between 25-70 dB?

My hearing loss occurs between 250 Hz and 1000 Hz. I've remained hopeful. I'm so sad knowing this may not even be an option for me.
The problem is not the drug but the delivery method. And that's easier to figure out than drugs to regrow hair cells. Should nanoparticles become an option we stand a good chance of reaching the lower frequencies.

I had to click the "funny" rating because the same thing happened to me. It's so annoying they won't even tell you the required loss. Like what are we going to do? Go bang on pots and pans and try to get that? What's the big secret here? Nobody can control their audiogram.

Very interesting! Looks like they settled on this being only effective for 3500-16000 Hz. It even says FX-322 is "designed for higher frequencies". No it's not, it's a cope. That's a big chunk of hearing they are leaving out. That sucks...
My biggest loss is 35 dB at 6000 Hz, and my main constant tone is 15000 Hz. I was still denied.

My biggest loss is 35 dB at 6000 Hz, and my main constant tone is 15000 Hz. I was still denied.
That's 10-15 dB from what's considered normal in one frequency. I can imagine Frequency is looking for patients that most represent their (intended) patient population; hearing loss across the board, with a downward slope in the high frequencies.

I think a lot of people are forgetting this is a hearing loss drug, not a tinnitus drug. Not saying people with 35 dB in one frequency won't be able to try it once it's released, but it's not the category Frequency needs to demonstrate right now this drug subsantially improves hearing loss in the frequencies ENTs/audiologists test (250-8000 Hz). They're only aiming for 96 people in Phase 2a so they need to make it count.

Should nanoparticles become an option we stand a good chance of reaching the lower frequencies.
I think the drug molecules they are using count as nano size.

Wouldn't 0.078 - 0.39 nM count?

"LY-411575 is a potent γ-secretase inhibitor with IC50 of 0.078 nM/0.082 nM (membrane/cell-based), and also inhibits Notch S3 cleavage with IC50 of 0.39 nM."

https://www.medchemexpress.com/ly-411575.html

upload_2019-11-1_13-41-29.png

Very interesting! Looks like they settled on this being only effective for 3500-16000 Hz. It even says FX-322 is "designed for higher frequencies". No it's not, it's a cope. That's a big chunk of hearing they are leaving out. That sucks...
It is interesting that they are stating right after their IPO that "FX-322 designed to enable hearing in higher frequencies". If they mean that it works for higher frequencies but not lower then it narrows down hugely the therapeutical range and market potential. I wonder if they disclosed that in the IPO prospectus. If not, you can ask if investors were misled.

My biggest dip is 55 dB at 1000 Hz and the gal said by the audiograms I sent them that this fits into what they are looking for, for the phase 2 trial. Hopefully I can get past the next round of testing.

Has anyone with normal hearing but believe they have high frequency hearing loss (or confirmed with an audiogram) reached out?
Even if you can't get an official extended audiogram this should give you an idea. There is a reproducible point where it goes from audible to immediately silent when I test with this and it corresponds to my steep slope on extended audiogram. May be harder to tell with more subtle loss though.

That's probably most of us. If fixing our high frequency hearing loss is all we need to stop the ringing, ohhhh baby...
Ohh baby yes please. All I have is high frequency hearing loss above 12 kHz (and matching high frequency tinnitus) and if fixing hearing stops tinnitus, I'll be set.

I can bet $10,000 that tinnitus is triggered by high frequency hearing loss, for me at least that definitely is the case.
I agree that can be a cause.

But what we don't know if fixing the high frequency hearing loss will fix the tinnitus--hard to prove (or disprove!) until we can actually fix the hearing loss.

By way of silly example, if I put you in a room with no oxygen and you die, you don't come back to life once I restore the oxygen.

I found this quote from the main Audion guy:

But Jan Rutten is adamant that he is far from declaring Audion anywhere close to a eureka moment just yet. "Before you hear me claim such a thing, I think it is really important to do the clinical research," he says. "I think the biggest disservice that we can do to the field is to project unrealistic expectations," he says. There's a lot of good scientists at a lot of different companies doing the work, and "hopefully we'll come up with something."​

I don't know if he was aiming this at Frequency Therapeutics but I think it applies to them. FX-322 may eventually be a working treatment (I hope so), but I do believe they declared their "eureka moment" much too soon.

But Jan Rutten is adamant that he is far from declaring Audion anywhere close to a eureka moment just yet. "Before you hear me claim such a thing, I think it is really important to do the clinical research," he says. "I think the biggest disservice that we can do to the field is to project unrealistic expectations," he says. There's a lot of good scientists at a lot of different companies doing the work, and "hopefully we'll come up with something."​

I don't know if he was aiming this at Frequency Therapeutics but I think it applies to them. FX-322 may eventually be a working treatment (I hope so), but I do believe they declared their "eureka moment" much too soon.
Interesting... thanks. Where did you find this quote?

Interesting article. Curious what this means for their Phase 2 results.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now