• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

They did word score, not speech in noise for phase 1. They added speech in noise as an additional measure in phase 2.
They did do speech in noise in phase 1. Page 28 of the corporate presentation shows FX-322 improved beyond placebo (20 words comprehended vs. ~2 words comprehended). This can't be a learning effect either, because of the multiple points at which they measured this variable.

https://investors.frequencytx.com/static-files/6d161090-16f5-49f4-9606-8caceb5a88a1
I seem to have stumbled onto this site at a very gripping and compelling time for inner ear problems.

The docs can now access the cochlea and they are trying to do a repair job by imitating nature.
If you think this is cool, you should check out the research on ATOH-1/ATOH-138 from Chen at Harvard.

They did do speech in noise in phase 1. Page 28 of the corporate presentation shows FX-322 improved beyond placebo (20 words comprehended vs. ~2 words comprehended). This can't be a learning effect either, because of the multiple points at which they measured this variable.
Just to be clear, the data shows that participant who received FX-322 produced a 20% improvement in word-in-noise score from their baseline test (prior to receiving the dose).

I wonder if they will share r-values for the P2A considering they'll have data points for different baselines and dosages?

When do you guys reckon Astellas will start clinical trials for FX-322? Do you think they will start clinical trials after the results for Phase 2a come out?

@FGG

Do you think there's a chance FX-322 can become available in 2021?
Based on the licensing agreements in their most recent 10-Q, 2024 is probably a realistic year for a release if there is a typical Phase 2B, Phase 3, and NDA submission.

@FGG

Do you think there's a chance FX-322 can become available in 2021?
There is a chance but not a huge one imo, unfortunately. They have expanded their trial and are still recruiting so I'm not even sure we will still get results end of this year (though we could) because they are monitoring people 5-6 months out. They would have to be fully recruited by March for this to happen and some new locations haven't even started recruiting yet. Even if they get Breakthrough status and skip phase 3, my guess is 2022 is the absolute earliest but it would be great to be wrong.

Based on the licensing agreements in their most recent 10-Q, 2024 is probably a realistic year for a release if there is a typical Phase 2B, Phase 3, and NDA submission.
Damn that sucks, but do you think there's a chance it gets released in 2021/2022?

@FGG

That sounds better than 2024. I would pay millions to get it today :)

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2020-02-19/baystate-business-politics-and-fish-radio

Bloomberg Radio, starts at 7:06, haven't gotten a chance to listen yet, will when I get home.
Just listened to it. Mostly David Lucchino hitting on the same talking points on the Phase 1/2 and Phase 2A. Expectations on "how soon a product will be available" was asked by the interviewer. Lucchino commented "next few years" but depends on FDA continued support and mentioned that Breakthrough Therapy designation is not yet granted.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/audio/2020-02-19/baystate-business-politics-and-fish-radio

Bloomberg Radio, starts at 7:06, haven't gotten a chance to listen yet, will when I get home.
Just listened. The only thing new is that they confirmed they will be trying to get Breakthrough Status with FDA so drug can be released in the next few years.

As an aside, Lucchino seems to exude non contrived motivation. He seems like the kind of person I would want to lead this effort. He sounded excited but not salesman like.

There is a chance but not a huge one imo, unfortunately. They have expanded their trial and are still recruiting so I'm not even sure we will still get results end of this year (though we could) because they are monitoring people 5-6 months out. They would have to be fully recruited by March for this to happen and some new locations haven't even started recruiting yet. Even if they get Breakthrough status and skip phase 3, my guess is 2022 is the absolute earliest but it would be great to be wrong.
The fact that they touched on our wild speculation is incredibly heartening to me. I have no idea how many hurdles they'd have to overcome if they were able to skip phase 3, but I'd guess that they'd mostly have to do with commercialization and distribution. With their robust financial backing, and assumed efficacy in dimensions previously unexamined (extended pure tone audiometry, larger dosing with possibly better delivery agent), I would suspect that phase 2 should produce better results than phase 1.

@lcj has expertise in this space. I know we're continuing to speculate, but what kind of timeline might we be looking at if granted "breakthrough therapy" status?

This just occurred to me after listening to that interview: I feel like they might be stressing clarity because then it is a completely unmet need, and therefore Breakthrough status is more likely. He made a specific point that hearing aids only help with loudness and not clarity. Therefore hearing aids can't be used to say there is a treatment already.

This just occurred to me after listening to that interview: I feel like they might be stressing clarity because then it is a completely unmet need, and therefore Breakthrough status is more likely. He made a specific point that hearing aids only help with loudness and not clarity. Therefore hearing aids can't be used to say there is a treatment already.
Good point. Hearing aids are basically amplification devices and many people complain about them having barely any effect on clarity.

Sometime in 2022? And then add in the time for the logistics of getting the network of ENTs throughout the country learned and all fired up in the new technique. The queue (line of people waiting) will not be short.

Now, I don't want to be a pucking frick, but I recall one of my first posts of how the advice back in the 90s was that it was highly desirable you don't have members of the tinnitus community running around "like a headless chicken." The advice was: Fine! Kind of choose your therapies. Best of luck, but with a laid back attitude and wait it out.

Just to give an optimistic note to it all: Two therapies that I did helped me cope. The first was TRT.
But just maybe four years back my tinnitus began to get worse. I tried the white noise machines again but this time they didn't work.

Last summer I did a course in mindfulness... You know, relaxation, breathing, heartbeat... and yes, try loving your self and the world a bit. Let me say it did help. So much awful stuff happening in the world today. The world probably was always like this but these days it gets served up to you by the internet/social media by zoom lense infra-red camera etc. etc. Little wonder that people can't get a decent night's sleep. I found that Mindfulness helps you deal with it. And a sound machine and a radio helps too. Instead of three hours sleep I have managed to get it back to five hours or so.

CHECK

and

*waits 7 months*

MATE.

https://investors.frequencytx.com/static-files/6d161090-16f5-49f4-9606-8caceb5a88a1

If you think this is cool, you should check out the research on ATOH-1/ATOH-138 from Chen at Harvard.
Can you send us a link about Chen's research?

And then add in the time for the logistics of getting the network of ENTs throughout the country learned and all fired up in the new technique.
Getting the word out to ENTs will be fairly easy. Some I have spoken to are already well aware of Frequency and Pipeline. And luckily the injection is intratympanic so nothing new needs to be learned from a procedural standpoint.

Frequency has been pretty quiet this week, even as their 4th quarter results are about to come in. I wonder if they plan to release them Friday evening. To me, that would signal that they don't really have much to report - since if they had something exciting to say, they'd want to say it near the beginning of the week.

I feel like it's going to be a really long 7-8 months. Thankfully the results of Audion's trial should provide some insight into how effect this type of treatment is, and those should be coming pretty soon.

Frequency has been pretty quiet this week, even as their 4th quarter results are about to come in. I wonder if they plan to release them Friday evening. To me, that would signal that they don't really have much to report - since if they had something exciting to say, they'd want to say it near the beginning of the week.

I feel like it's going to be a really long 7-8 months. Thankfully the results of Audion's trial should provide some insight into how effect this type of treatment is, and those should be coming pretty soon.
Audion uses transdifferiation of an already established support cell. I'm not sure if this will be as effective as developing a fully a hair cell from the start of division.

I'm thinking there will be some improvements with Audion but I'm a bit more skeptical that it will work quite as well. Just a gut feeling maybe heightened by all the shade Frequency throws Audion's approach.

Also, lackluster remarks by Audion's CEO vs Frequency I am sure shape my opinion. Then again, they were referring to hearing, not tinnitus. It's possible both will work as well for tinnitus.

Remember there was an article that stated that it will take a decade and the reason why they said that is because they didn't want to be sued.

If David said it will take a few years it could still be released quicker because he might not want to be sued.

There's really not a whole lot they can report at this time. They can't reveal any early outcomes from the Phase 2A trial, other than that they completed enrollment.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now