Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

This is fair and something I worry about.

However, this is why almost all of my focus has been on the pharmacokinetics study. I have many critical questions that I would ask them if I was in the room with them regarding their simulations using FluidSim v3.24. In my opinion, this is kind of everything since the medicine does induce PCA (proven). All of the unknowns pertain to the complicated physics within the cochlea and elimination rates.

The other big question is "does PCA really fix tinnitus, major hearing problems, and hyperacusis?" I think this question could lead to answering it with our hearts to some degree. I think most people agree that tinnitus is not "stuck in the brain," but that doesn't mean the story isn't more complicated. For example, maybe many brains need FX-322 to be far more effective than it actually is to greatly improve tinnitus. Maybe it's not "stuck in the brain" but requires a pretty long time for the brain to reconfigure to the improved healing signal. Maybe the "sweet spot" where FX-322 improves tinnitus the most is in a time frame that is beyond the study's timeline since tinnitus is only a secondary end point?

I do think we should be really cautious about expecting miraculously audiogram threshold shifts. The Phase 1/2 thresholds at 8 kHz were not statistically significant. While the EHF range is closer to the base (so much more likely to be improved by the drug), I think we should control our expectations for threshold shifts.
I think the timeframe complication is actually the likely truth, but that also means the data in the readout should be caveated against that - we might expect even further improvement as more time goes on.

I do think the dosage differential though in Phase 1 is something that hasn't been spoken about much on here. I can only assume Frequency Therapeutics have gone with the high dose for Phase 2 (0.2 ml), so perhaps this is also another reason to be hopeful with regards to data readout. Having said all this, I must wonder why Frequency Therapeutics wouldn't make the point that the 4 patients who saw a benefit at 8 kHz were also the ones who received a higher dose, unless of course that wasn't the case. If it was, that would seem like quite a glaring oversight to make.
Very true. My suspicion is the following regarding this issue. Of the four people with 8 kHz improvements, if even one of them received the lower dose, it no longer becomes noteworthy. Moreover, from reading the supplemental table S2 (attached), it looks like the RW niche status can vary quite a bit from person to person. Obviously, the patients in this study are different from the ones with the 8 kHz improvements, but maybe they were again being conservative since the main point was safety.

upload_2021-3-3_16-11-32.png

As for only 4/15 patients seeing improvement at 8 kHz, it is important to remember that 7 of those patients received the low volume dose, which was 0.05 ml. Unfortunately there's nothing to suggest whether those 4 patients were also the ones who received the high dose, but this is something that I'd definitely be curious to know.
Here's the thing... the 4/15 that saw the 8 kHz gain were also those responders that saw significant improvements in word score. (Subject 6 isn't shown in the new deck that saw an 8 kHz gain because they didn't come back for the long-term follow-up).

I'm actually wondering if it doesn't matter if they got the low or high dose; it's possible there was enough concentration of VPA & CHIR at that high range either way. If you look in the research paper, they note that everyone that could show significant improvement did show improvement. So, I find it hard to leave it to chance that the moderate+ group just happened to get the high dose, and the mild group just happened to get the low dose.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 4.10.14 PM.png

Yes, they can still push FX-322 to Phase 3 if it only shows EHF improvements. It would also show word score and words-in-noise improvements as well if that is the case. Also, the data from the two Phase 1B trials would also add to the data needed to advance the drug (assuming a similar Phase 1/2 outcome).
Dear @Diesel,
I think you said something important before.
b) I'm not sure if this is considered a reformulation. Considering FX-322 is two separate molecules, I don't know if if from an FDA standpoint it is considered a reformulation to dial either molecule's concentration/volume up or down per injection. Technically for the two Phase 1B programs, they could test a higher dose of FX-322, since they are new safety trials. At one point I saw them call those studies "FX-322.02" or something along those lines in a presentation; can't find it now.
When was the results of Phase 1/2 announced?

When did Phase 2A start?

When were the two new Phase 1Bs started?

Considering the period, it may not be possible to improve the gel, but I think it is possible to increase the concentration.

The volume of injections in Phase 1/2 was 0.05 ml and 0.2 ml.

It's the maximum, but... I think the concentration can be increased up to 4 times.

It is possible that they are increasing the concentration of FX-322 in the two ongoing Phase 1Bs.

If it gives better results at low frequencies, Phase 2A only needs to prove that multiple injections are effective.

I don't want to derail the thread but I see parallels between this talk of stock and discussions on Tesla forums. What tends to happen is people gravitate towards a company because they are working on something they may want for its own intrinsic value. Then they feel somehow compelled to buy stock in the company, to put their money where their mouth is, so to speak. But the moment they do that they are assuming conflict of interest. So before you know it Tesla fanbois are marginalizing reports of screens going blank, bumpers falling off, rear windows cracking, and even people dying with autopilot sending cars into gore-points.

So I guess it's sort of a pet-peeve of mine to see threads like these start to get dominated by what I would consider more investor discussions rather than tinnitus sufferer discussions. Sure, there is overlap, but anytime I know someone has stock, what they're saying is inherently biased, even more than tinnitus sufferers desperately seeking reason to hope.
I get what you're saying, though I'm not sure I'd apply it to this discussion. When Diesel posted his list of possible FX-322 outcomes, it seemed like most people thought the results would be one of his "meh" cases. People seemed pretty level headed and it seems like most people here have tempered their expectations.

And while it may be grating to some, stock price and the monkey business regarding it can give some interesting insight into what's going on within the company. For example, Otonomy's (OTIC) stock price sloped downward before its Otividiex results. It turns out a big investor was trying to get out. Whether they knew something or not, it's interesting that this happened. Additionally, the founder of Otonomy has started dumping his shares. What this means I don't know, and discussion of it is probably better suited for the Otonomy threads, but this kind of stock info gives interesting insight into the company.

When I look at investor boards, things are much different than this thread. People are much more irrational and some are talking about how this stock is going to 300 this year (or in one case, 1000). And those kinds of expectations worry me some, as I think most people aren't as informed as the people following this thread.

It is possible that they are increasing the concentration of FX-322 in the two ongoing Phase 1Bs.

If it gives better results at low frequencies, Phase 2A only needs to prove that multiple injections are effective.
This is very much a possibility that they raised the dosage/concentration for the newer Phase 1Bs. They technically had interim data from the Phase 2A in May of 2020, before the Phase 1Bs were started. Then, all they would need to do is apply multi-dosing to a Phase 2B/3 with the higher dose.

I can't find any evidence of the FDA allowing such a thing, so it's a complete guess...

This is very much a possibility that they raised the dosage/concentration for the newer Phase 1Bs. They technically had interim data from the Phase 2A in May of 2020, before the Phase 1Bs were started. Then, all they would need to do is apply multi-dosing to a Phase 2B/3 with the higher dose.

I can't find any evidence of the FDA allowing such a thing, so it's a complete guess...
I don't think they can reformulate mid trial (and change concentration) but they can change dosing amount and frequency.

I don't think they can reformulate mid trial (and change concentration) but they can change dosing amount and frequency.
So, to clarify, for the Phase 2A, we assume patients had been given the 0.2 ml dose. For the Phase 1Bs, it could have been increased to say, a 0.4 ml dose?

So, to clarify, for the Phase 2A, we assume patients had been given the 0.2 ml dose. For the Phase 1Bs, it could have been increased to say, a 0.4 ml dose?
Sorry, I meant to write that they can "change the dose by changing the frequency" not change "dosing amount and frequency."

As for only 4/15 patients seeing improvement at 8 kHz, it is important to remember that 7 of those patients received the low volume dose, which was 0.05 ml. Unfortunately there's nothing to suggest whether those 4 patients were also the ones who received the high dose, but this is something that I'd definitely be curious to know.
4/15 is not a good number, also even if 1 out the 4 had received the lower dose, I think it would suggest that the remaining 3 could have had other factors/reasons for their healing.

Here's the thing... the 4/15 that saw the 8 kHz gain were also those responders that saw significant improvements in word score. (Subject 6 isn't shown in the new deck that saw an 8 kHz gain because they didn't come back for the long-term follow-up).

I'm actually wondering if it doesn't matter if they got the low or high dose; it's possible there was enough concentration of VPA & CHIR at that high range either way. If you look in the research paper, they note that everyone that could show significant improvement did show improvement. So, I find it hard to leave it to chance that the moderate+ group just happened to get the high dose, and the mild group just happened to get the low dose.

View attachment 43588
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that everyone in the <= 90% WR score (i.e. 6 patients that could show significant improvement without the ceiling effect) showed at least some improvement, even if only 4 were statistically significant? BTW, from their recent presentation, here is a similar figure, but with Patient 6 data (but no follow up data).

Where did you read that the same 4 patients that were statistically significant in WR were statistically significant at 8 kHz? I'm reading "Human Hearing Assessments and Outcomes" in the paper and I don't see it... I mean, it's not surprising that they would coincide.

By the way, also interesting to note from the "Discussion" in the paper. They say that (by chance) there was an imbalance in baseline speech perception scores between the treated and placebo groups that required careful data interpretation to handle.

Interesting.

upload_2021-3-3_17-26-3.png

4/15 is not a good number, and even if 1 out the 4 had received the lower dose I think it would suggest that the remaining 3 could have had other factors/reasons for their healing process.
Well, first of all, it's really 4/6 because 9 treated patients were in the mild range -- so excluded because of the ceiling effect. Also, of the 4 placebo patients not in the mild range (<=90% baseline scores, so eligible), none saw statistically significant improvement.

Another point about the data if you look at the WR in Quiet figure (attached), the 4 circles to the left of 90% on the x-axis are the 4 placebos that I'm referring to. Notice that the dashed line represents a repeat performance on day 90 and that 2 are below and 2 are above. On the other hand, from the 6 FX-322 data points, all of them are above the dashed line so they all saw improvement. However, only 4 of them were statistically significant (i.e. above upper dotted curve, which represents the upper threshold of the 95% confidence interval).

I will say that the sample size is small, but for only n=23 sample size in the entire study, it's not bad.

EDIT: I may have misunderstood you. I think you were referring to the disappointment of only 4/15 improving at 8 kHz, which is different from the point I'm making. My point is still valid; I accept that a lack of improving on the audiogram is managing my expectations.

upload_2021-3-3_18-12-59.png

I believe those four were the only ones capable of achieving significant improvements.
Technically, I don't think there's a ceiling effect on the 8 kHz performance. I mean, I guess there sort of is one, but it's not as clear-cut as the "number correct out of 50" ceiling.

You are probably right that there's some complicated way to define like a quasi ceiling based on limitations on the human ear, but audiograms are inherently continuous measurements, whereas word scores are discrete.

Either way, if the audiogram scores were something to show off, Frequency Therapeutics probably would have done it.

Technically, I don't think there's a ceiling effect on the 8 kHz performance. I mean, I guess there sort of is one, but it's not as clear-cut as the "number correct out of 50" ceiling.

You are probably right that there's some complicated way to define like a quasi ceiling based on limitations on the human ear, but audiograms are inherently continuous measurements, whereas word scores are discrete.

Either way, if the audiogram scores were something to show off, Frequency Therapeutics probably would have done it.
Oh I agree, however my point was that it wasn't really a 4/15 improvement, it was a 4/4 improvement.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that everyone in the <= 90% WR score (i.e. 6 patients that could show significant improvement without the ceiling effect) showed at least some improvement, even if only 4 were statistically significant? BTW, from their recent presentation, here is a similar figure, but with Patient 6 data (but no follow up data).
YES. 6 Moderate+ patients got FX-322, all 6 showed the improvements they're sharing. Those are the 6 "responders" they refer to. The other 9 mild that got FX-322, the gains weren't significant enough to mention.
Where did you read that the same 4 patients that were statistically significant in WR were statistically significant at 8 kHz? I'm reading "Human Hearing Assessments and Outcomes" in the paper and I don't see it... I mean, it's not surprising that they would coincide.
The 4th 8 kHz patient (Subject 5) was at a 10 dB improvement, but returned to baseline by the 13-21 month follow-up. These 5 are a subset of the 6 moderate responders.

This is from the AAO-HNSF deck from 2020.

Screen Shot 2021-03-03 at 6.34.52 PM.png

I think a lot of people are overlooking this by saying, "4/15 looks bad"... but really it's 4/9, which still isn't significant, but may look way better in the Phase 2A.

BECAUSE:

They've said over and over that they specifically recruited participants that "look like the responders" so we might see a significant portion of the 74 showing word score gains. And, that 8 kHz improvement should be well more than 50% of them.
I would argue that there is. If a person has mild loss, they may have a pure tone threshold at 8 kHz of 20-30 dB. But someone at moderate + may be in the 50s or more. It's possible with one dose, it would be harder to detect an improvement from 20-30 dB -> 20-10 dB than 50 - 40 dB.

Also, it's not well known how many hair cells we have to lose to start going from 20 dB threshold to 50 dB. At 20 dB, you might have some worn cells, but not so much that PCA takes place. But at 50 dB, there could be some clearly dead / damaged cells that allow PCA to take place.

So listen, when I get a tinnitus spike I feel a sort of desperation lol, like I want to find myself in the US for the Phase 3 trials and whatnot.

But travelling across the world for a trial where I might get four doses of a placebo is a make it or break it situation.

What are the chances you get a placebo in the Phase 3 trials? What's in the placebo for that matter?

Knowing how sensitive I am to medication I don't want to risk some random substance that's not FX-322 in my ear.

So listen, when I get a tinnitus spike I feel a sort of desperation lol, like I want to find myself in the US for the Phase 3 trials and whatnot.

But travelling across the world for a trial where I might get four doses of a placebo is a make it or break it situation.

What are the chances you get a placebo in the Phase 3 trials? What's in the placebo for that matter?

Knowing how sensitive I am to medication I don't want to risk some random substance that's not FX-322 in my ear.
They haven't released the trial design or the locations for a Phase 3 yet.

Odds so far have been about 25% of getting a placebo. May be more or less for Phase 3.

The Phase 3 will be international, so you may not have to.

The placebo is probably the gel without any FX-322 mixed in.

I think a lot of people are overlooking this by saying, "4/15 looks bad"... but really it's 4/9, which still isn't significant, but may look way better in the Phase 2A.

BECAUSE:

They've said over and over that they specifically recruited participants that "look like the responders" so we might see a significant portion of the 74 showing word score gains. And, that 8 kHz improvement should be well more than 50% of them.
I think you mean 4/6, but I see your point. It's interesting to me that they are able to recruit people that look like the responders when the inclusion criteria is simply 26-70 dB PTA threshold. I think you've made this point a number of times, but it seems highly relevant which interval the 10+ dB @ 8 kHz responders achieved this in (e.g. 60 to 50 dB or 40 to 30 dB, etc.). If they are recruiting similar people, it would be nice to know where in that 26-70 dB inclusion criteria most people should sit.
I would argue that there is. If a person has mild loss, they may have a pure tone threshold at 8 kHz of 20-30 dB. But someone at moderate + may be in the 50s or more. It's possible with one dose, it would be harder to detect an improvement from 20-30 dB -> 20-10 dB than 50 - 40 dB.

Also, it's not well known how many hair cells we have to lose to start going from 20 dB threshold to 50 dB. At 20 dB, you might have some worn cells, but not so much that PCA takes place. But at 50 dB, there could be some clearly dead / damaged cells that allow PCA to take place.
I agree with the sentiment here. It makes sense to set up 20 dB as kind of like a floor. And much in the same way they chopped off scores within 10% of perfect on WR, they could chop off people who are within some percentage above 20 dB thresholds. This sort of makes sense because the WR tests decrease in volume throughout the test so this is somewhat similar to the idea of demanding people start at a certain PTA threshold.

I don't think the math is as pretty though. The fact that word scores are discrete numbers out of 50 makes it well-suited for the Binomial distribution test that Thornton and Raffin designed for repeat WR tests. I'm not sure how one would devise a perfect parallel to hearing thresholds. One may actually exist and I just don't know about it. There may be less of a need for this because the whole point of Thornton and Raffin's paper is that there's variability from repeating WR tests, even with hearing held constant. On the other hand, pure tones are more straightforward than words.

If they are recruiting similar people, it would be nice to know where in that 26-70 dB inclusion criteria most people should sit.
Carl LeBel mentioned that they will disclose the "additional filter" criteria that they used when the final data is released in Q2. We should get to see the "group average" baseline for word score types and audiogram as well as % improvement and nominal average improvement. So, hopefully it's a little revealing.

Carl LeBel mentioned that they will disclose the "additional filter" criteria that they used when the final data is released in Q2. We should get to see the "group average" baseline for word score types and audiogram as well as % improvement and nominal average improvement. So, hopefully it's a little revealing.
Ah, I didn't know that. That answers so many questions lol.

Ah, I didn't know that. That answers so many questions lol.
Yes. Indeed. The group data will be in the 90-day results also. So, seeing those average baselines and average improvements may help us get on a new cycle of debates on their secondary filtering criteria... should be a nice distraction for a couple months.

After a long study of this very interesting topic, I am now posting my detailed opinion here:

I have to tell you a point of view that almost everyone here does not like: I am becoming more and more certain that the FX-322 will not cure tinnitus.

Yes, I am a stock speculator. Since the year 2000. Ups and downs, at least at some point I got myself a security in the form of a property. I would prefer to be very poor and not have 24/7 tinnitus. I bet you, my tinnitus is more concise, more annoying than 90% here (better not bet with me, I'm a professional :).

It is only masked by shower noises, otherwise it whines all the time and I can't enjoy anything. And no, no TRT, nothing like that can help ignore the beeping. Or that my brain gets used to it and the tinnitus becomes a background noise. No it won't, I had a mild tinnitus for 10 years before that and it was always the same, equally irrelevant and equally disturbing in certain situations, without any adaptation in the brain.

Now to the facts.

4 patients had an improvement in word recognition in Phase 1. Does this really result in a market value of possibly billions of dollars for Frequency Therapeutics?

I live in the country where the billion-dollar fraud was only discovered years later, when it was much too late: Wirecard (yes, I'm sorry, I'm from Germany).

If I wanted to target billions of fraud myself and would like to fake it, it wouldn't be so difficult to find 4 people who pretend they don't understand anything in the first test and then recognize more words a few weeks later.

Is that based on a market value of billions of dollars?

What confirms to me that Phase 2 will not be successful is the Frequency Therapeutics Twitter message from February, where the company again pointed out the (small) success of Phase 1.

As a stock market expert, it seems like this to me: This is an insider move. You recognize that Phase 2 is ineffective, and so that you can still find inexperienced buyers, you send out a positive message so that you can still sell profitably. The stock is going steeply downhill. I estimate: another minus 25 percent in a week (yes you can quote me on March 11th).

I am sure. We will have our tinnitus continue to live with us. I personally have perhaps the best therapist in the world, who always encourages me not to lose my positive view of the overall situation and lets me find my own way out.

And what helps me personally is the irrepressible love of my girlfriend (no, not because of the money, she is relatively wealthy herself). I realized that she too had to receive more than I had since my tinnitus worsened.

Confirmation that I know my way around the stock exchange: I recognized it all and sold it at the maximum price, see attachment.

Stay strong! Please, please!

frequenzy 2.jpg

After a long study of this very interesting topic, I am now posting my detailed opinion here:

I have to tell you a point of view that almost everyone here does not like: I am becoming more and more certain that the FX-322 will not cure tinnitus.

Yes, I am a stock speculator. Since the year 2000. Ups and downs, at least at some point I got myself a security in the form of a property. I would prefer to be very poor and not have 24/7 tinnitus. I bet you, my tinnitus is more concise, more annoying than 90% here (better not bet with me, I'm a professional :).

It is only masked by shower noises, otherwise it whines all the time and I can't enjoy anything. And no, no TRT, nothing like that can help ignore the beeping. Or that my brain gets used to it and the tinnitus becomes a background noise. No it won't, I had a mild tinnitus for 10 years before that and it was always the same, equally irrelevant and equally disturbing in certain situations, without any adaptation in the brain.

Now to the facts.

4 patients had an improvement in word recognition in Phase 1. Does this really result in a market value of possibly billions of dollars for Frequency Therapeutics?

I live in the country where the billion-dollar fraud was only discovered years later, when it was much too late: Wirecard (yes, I'm sorry, I'm from Germany).

If I wanted to target billions of fraud myself and would like to fake it, it wouldn't be so difficult to find 4 people who pretend they don't understand anything in the first test and then recognize more words a few weeks later.

What confirms to me that Phase 2 will not be successful is the Frequency Therapeutics Twitter message from February, where the company again pointed out the (small) success of Phase 1.

As a stock market expert, it seems like this to me: This is an insider move. You recognize that Phase 2 is ineffective, and so that you can still find inexperienced buyers, you send out a positive message so that you can still sell profitably. The stock is going steeply downhill. I estimate: another minus 25 percent in a week (yes you can quote me on March 11th).

I am sure. We will have our tinnitus continue to live with us. I personally have perhaps the best therapist in the world, who always encourages me not to lose my positive view of the overall situation and lets me find my own way out.

And what helps me personally is the irrepressible love of my girlfriend (no, not because of the money, she is relatively wealthy herself). I realized that she too had to receive more than I had since my tinnitus worsened.

Confirmation that I know my way around the stock exchange: I recognized it all and sold it at the maximum price, see attachment.

View attachment 43594
Dude, what the hell.

First of all, no one here is saying FX-322 is a cure for tinnitus, it never was supposed to be one, it's a hearing loss treatment.

Second and no offense, you're a stock speculator, not a scientist. I'll take the word of dozens of Harvard bigshots and regenerative medicine pioneers working on this over your baseless speculation.

How would the 4 people know they got FX-322 or Placebo in a placebo-controlled experiment? If they faked the results, they'd also have to know they got the drug.

Now to the facts.

View attachment 43594
I just want to say that while I'm really impressed that you have a rich girlfriend and made money in stock, Frequency Therapeutics don't do their own recruiting so they wouldn't be able to have "plants."

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now