• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I had an Ultra High Frequency audiogram done and the results were more or less what I expected and also threw up a caveat I was hoping for. I'd like to share for analysis on one of the current theories (below).

@FGG @Diesel @Aaron91 @serendipity1996

This is an overview of my symptoms.

View attachment 43980

Standard audiogram is pretty normal to 8 kHz.

Extended audiogram reflects what I think is going on with my ears pretty accurately. An average of approx 10 dB lower for left ear across the range except for at 14 kHz. This 14 kHz left ear value is significant to me because the left ear tests were all dull in comparison to the right ear except for one range which I think was 14 kHz and was like a gun shot in my left ear at each volume increment (physically startling - this was the caveat I was hoping for, something going against the trend). I reckon this 14 kHz region is where my hyperacusis / noxacusis is.

View attachment 43978

I've got a few theories on it, this is the main one. It's apparent there is more ultra high frequency hearing loss in the left ear in general but if it was the 14 kHz range of tests for the left ear that was so much more startling (extra gain-like), it makes me think there's something different about the damage in this area and I wonder if this is something to do with increased ribbon count around this frequency (increasing the likelihood of type II action potential). I suppose it actually doesn't even matter where this startling frequency was, I'm just assuming it is 14 kHz as this is where the trend was bucked.

I unfortunately did not think to ask what that exact frequency was at the time and only thought of it after I'd started analyzing on the way home. I would put the frequency around 14 kHz though, up there but definitely not in the heights of the 16 kHz - 20 kHz range which were pretty obvious. I'm hopeful for FX-322 for noxacusis for this scenario to be able to restore these high frequency hair cells (apart from maybe one or two special factors).
My worst tinnitus is actually where my damage starts to drop to about 50 dB loss (12000 Hz), even though it gets much worse further up. I think there is something about the edge of normal that the brain has a harder time with personally. I also find testing that range a but uncomfortable (well now that I have noxacusis too, I would probably find it even worse...).

Most likely, but it could also be something more left field like plugging up the Eustachian tube so it doesn't open up and drain in response to the middle ear fluid pocket.

Part of me did the have the thought a while ago that maybe a possible reason multiple injections would get more penetrance is it increases the odds of at least one with less drainage. Just thinking out loud, though.
This is from the supplemental material of the Phase 1b paper. They also measured middle ear permeability -- actually, the main thing they looked for exclusively in the humans. I would think if there was an issue with gel drainage, they would have said so. You would understand this better than I would...

Another thought, though, is that their pharmacology study was performed on humans receiving cochlear implants (more invasive) so maybe it's different for people just receiving intratympanic injections?

Human Perilymph Collection

After exact supine positioning of the head of the patient, FX-322 was applied intratympanically so that a coverage of the round and oval window niche was achieved and allowed to contact for approximately 60 minutes. Within this time, a standard mastoidectomy and posterior tympanotomy were performed as follows: The postauricular region was infiltrated with xylocain and 1:100000 epinephrine for local pain control and hemostasis. Needle electrodes were placed in the main muscles innervated by the facial nerve, i.e. orbicularis oculi et oris, and were hooked to a monitor. Impedances were checked and the function of the monitor was confirmed by tapping the facial muscles.

Next, the patient was prepped and draped. A postauricular incision was made using a 12 blade. The plane of the temporalis muscle and fascia was identified and prepared towards the external auditory canal. A periosteal incision was made in the periosteum and fascia was elevated. The spine of Henle and the mastoid tip were identified. Under constant suction and irrigation, a cortical mastoidectomy was carried out. The tegmen, the sigmoid sinus, and the digastric ridge were identified. Next, the air cells along the bony external canal were removed and the horizontal semicircular canal was identified. Using a small diamond burr, the aditus ad antrum was carefully exposed until the incus was visible. The posterior tympanotomy was carefully opened after delineating the facial nerve and the chorda tympani. With this procedure, the round window as well as the stapes with its muscle and tendon were exposed. All remnants of FX-322 that was applied previously via an intratympanic approach were collected for analysis, and then removed by irrigation and suctioning. After carefully checking on the presence of a false membrane over the round window, this was carefully removed without opening or damaging the round window. Thereafter, the bony overhang was removed. Human perilymph was collected with a modified micro glass capillary prior to cochlear implantation as previously described (Schmitt et al., 2017).​

My worst tinnitus is actually where my damage starts to drop to about 50 dB loss (12000 Hz), even though it gets much worse further up. I think there is something about the edge of normal that the brain has a harder time with personally. I also find testing that range a but uncomfortable (well now that I have noxacusis too, I would probably find it even worse...).
I too suspect that edges (between good and bad) are where the brain has the most trouble compensating and/or predicting, more so if they are steep.

I had an Ultra High Frequency audiogram done and the results were more or less what I expected and also threw up a caveat I was hoping for. I'd like to share for analysis on one of the current theories (below).

@FGG @Diesel @Aaron91 @serendipity1996

This is an overview of my symptoms.

View attachment 43980

Standard audiogram is pretty normal to 8 kHz.

Extended audiogram reflects what I think is going on with my ears pretty accurately. An average of approx 10 dB lower for left ear across the range except for at 14 kHz. This 14 kHz left ear value is significant to me because the left ear tests were all dull in comparison to the right ear except for one range which I think was 14 kHz and was like a gun shot in my left ear at each volume increment (physically startling - this was the caveat I was hoping for, something going against the trend). I reckon this 14 kHz region is where my hyperacusis / noxacusis is.

View attachment 43978

I've got a few theories on it, this is the main one. It's apparent there is more ultra high frequency hearing loss in the left ear in general but if it was the 14 kHz range of tests for the left ear that was so much more startling (extra gain-like), it makes me think there's something different about the damage in this area and I wonder if this is something to do with increased ribbon count around this frequency (increasing the likelihood of type II action potential). I suppose it actually doesn't even matter where this startling frequency was, I'm just assuming it is 14 kHz as this is where the trend was bucked.

I unfortunately did not think to ask what that exact frequency was at the time and only thought of it after I'd started analyzing on the way home. I would put the frequency around 14 kHz though, up there but definitely not in the heights of the 16 kHz - 20 kHz range which were pretty obvious. I'm hopeful for FX-322 for noxacusis for this scenario to be able to restore these high frequency hair cells (apart from maybe one or two special factors).
Thank you for sharing your audiogram. I must say, your left ear audiogram from 8 kHz - 16 kHz looks almost EXACTLY like my right ear audiogram from my at-home test, except my hearing above 16 kHz is essentially flat instead of notched. Also of note, my right ear is the only ear with hyperacusis and noxacusis. Tinnitus is generally in that high frequency range where loss is present. Very telling.

Is it possible that your ears/brain was less caught by surprise at 16 kHz after already experiencing 14 kHz?
Good question @Zugzug, but no it wasn't like that because I was bracing myself before it began anyway (with the right ear) which was OK, more than tolerable before switching to the left and the first 5 or 6 frequencies in the left ear were comfortable enough and noticeably more dull than the right until that surprise frequency which was really startling, it basically did the same thing to me that clicking plates would do. Then for the final couple of left ear frequencies it went back to the same dull level.
I must say, your left ear audiogram from 8 kHz - 16 kHz looks almost EXACTLY like my right ear audiogram from my at-home test
Thanks @Diesel. Did you notice any startlingly loud frequencies in your at-home test?

We are exactly halfway through March (in the Eastern time zone). We made it this far, we can make it that far again.
A5EF0087-9F9A-457F-BA63-03D706CF6CAE.gif

We are exactly halfway through March (in the Eastern time zone). We made it this far, we can make it that far again.
Lol, according to my clock you posted that at 12:01 pm, which in terms of minutes is 22,321/44,640 = 50.0022% of the way through March. The second half should be easier.

Good question @Zugzug, but no it wasn't like that because I was bracing myself before it began anyway (with the right ear) which was OK, more than tolerable before switching to the left and the first 5 or 6 frequencies in the left ear were comfortable enough and noticeably more dull than the right until that surprise frequency which was really startling, it basically did the same thing to me that clicking plates would do. Then for the final couple of left ear frequencies it went back to the same dull level.

Thanks @Diesel. Did you notice any startlingly loud frequencies in your at-home test?
Not startlingly loud, but definitely "buzzy"/"distorted" like the cochlea/brain was trying to use whatever was left of the cells to get the signal. Maybe a little nerve aggravation at that level as well.

"Welcome to the Future of Hearing Healthcare Conference. Let's introduce our speaker from Frequency Therapeutics..."

giphy.gif?cid=ecf05e47tyg2jb3ihxtts1zyyftzvmsrblrh71eqeh3hh0bv&rid=giphy.gif

We're gonna have to meme our way to the results boys.

View attachment 43988
Yeah, I think after 500 pages of research debate we're allowed a few more memes for the next 18 hours in the interest of mental sanity and self-preservation lol.

@FGG they are presenting tomorrow at 1pm EST time. Conference starts at 10am.

business.jpg

Is it possible for them to release the results tomorrow at the conference?
Yes, they could do it in the morning before the conference. If the stock skyrockets from good results, flip to CNBC, they'll for sure try to get Lucchino on.

So it has to be tomorrow when the markets open, right? Before the conference, so everyone "attending" gets a chance to peruse it.
The great Tinnitus Talk hivemind believes this to the be case... but in reality... they could regurgitate some remix of the Phase 1/2 trial + the study in their 45 minute timeslot.

It could also be at month-end when they release earnings... nobody really knows, except that we're running out of days in March!

So it has to be tomorrow when the markets open, right? Before the conference, so everyone "attending" gets a chance to peruse it.
It would almost certainly be before the market opens i.e. within the next 12 hours or so. If not, Frequency Therapeutics will be giving a very boring presentation tomorrow.

Edit: Under normal circumstances I don't think they would announce while the market is open, but as I mentioned in my post a couple of pages earlier, given they have a conference tomorrow it is possible they could announce there as well.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now