• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I wish I could get to America for this lol. Half the hearing loss and regenerative companies popping up are in the US, one in Australia and maybe 3 I know of in Europe. Not sure about Russia though, maybe they have something cooking up behind closed doors, you know those Russians. Also unsure about Asia, I would think naturally Korea, China and Japan would form an almighty scientific East Asian trio of regenerative medicine research, the ear included.

I asked my audiologist if a treatment ever came out for tinnitus, would Kaiser offer it to their patients. She said yeah they were one of the first to receive COVID-19 vaccines and if it were FDA approved, why wouldn't they, but she doesn't think she'll ever see it in her career. She's in her late 30s to early 40s, has had tinnitus since high school from being in a band. She said she doesn't expect it to ever go away, she just manages it. My boyfriend said the same thing, he's had it for 17 years.

Part of that is also because most of them don't know anything at all about any new drug until the rep shows up, buys them a lunch meeting and goes over it right before drug launch and the "ask your doctor about..." commercials air.
I understand that but we are talking about a cure for hearing loss. It's kind of a big deal.

I understand that but we are talking about a cure for hearing loss. It's kind of a big deal.
Luxterna was a *huge* deal for congenital blindness and my neighbor's doctors didn't mention it (her daughter has Leber's Congenital Amaurosis) until after the drug came out. She is a nurse (in an unrelated specialty) and actually had to bring the info to them.

Big deal or not, a lot of people (even medical professionals) don't look for info if it doesn't affect them yet and only hear about it when it passively finds them. For the public, that's with the news (which happens when a PR department contacts them) and for medical professionals, it's when the drug reps come. It's completely false that something isn't a story until it's on the news.

FX-322 is certainly not going to cure hearing loss in the next 5-10 years, for many reasons. There's synapse damage, nerve damage, for one. Moreover, what about worn hair cells that haven't died and undergone apoptosis yet? The drug is activated for damaged cells too, but what if there's not enough damage to trigger PCA?

Then there's the main issue which is pushing the drug deeper.

I don't even think the first version of the drug will come close to ending hearing aids. I bet a lot of hearing aid users will get the injections and still use their hearing aids, just on softer settings. They will simply enjoy more natural sound quality.

I do agree with you though. The hype should still be greater.

FX-322 is certainly not going to cure hearing loss in the next 5-10 years, for many reasons. There's synapse damage, nerve damage, for one. Moreover, what about worn hair cells that haven't died and undergone apoptosis yet? The drug is activated for damaged cells too, but what if there's not enough damage to trigger PCA?

I don't even think the first version of the drug will come close to ending hearing aids. I bet a lot of hearing aid users will get the injections and still use their hearing aids, just on softer settings. They will simply enjoy more natural sound quality.

Agree, but it will probably help to know that when LeBel was asked about the damaged but not destroyed hair cell question on the Tinnitus Talk Podcast, he didn't seem to think that was a significant factor.

Is it just me or is their website down?

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210317-174000_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210317-174000_Chrome.jpg
    408.5 KB · Views: 71

On its own, probably not. However, if we all get lucky with this working and some of the other biotechs treatments work for the other stuff + advancements in other related areas., we might have a combination of treatments to bring a close to total relief within 5-10 years I think.

Big ifs but not totally unachievable. I'm just happy at least this is being seriously looked at now by multiple biotechs in multiple countries. The work Frequency are doing with regards to informing the public how hearing loss patients have their lives changed for the worst is commendable on its own.

Luxterna was a *huge* deal for congenital blindness and my neighbor's doctors didn't mention it (her daughter has Leber's Congenital Amaurosis) until after the drug came out. She is a nurse (in an unrelated specialty) and actually had to bring the info to them.

Big deal or not, a lot of people (even medical professionals) don't look for info if it doesn't affect them yet and only hear about it when it passively finds them. For the public, that's with the news (which happens when a PR department contacts them) and for medical professionals, it's when the drug reps come. It's completely false that something isn't a story until it's on the news.
Ya I think as a professional they should be aware of treatments and research, if not for anything else, to provide hope to their patients. I hate the ones who say "there will never be a cure", it is just as easy to say "I don't know" or "there is research aimed at curing it, we will have to wait and see".

For someone to say something is impossible is kind of cold.

I could prove Bobby's last post wrong in like two seconds but I'm sworn to secrecy!
Me too. Orc peons were used in the trial in order to boost the success rate of the drug. We already regenerate hair cells naturally, but I was told to play stupid during the baseline test.

On its own, probably not. However, if we all get lucky with this working and some of the other biotechs treatments work for the other stuff + advancements in other related areas., we might have a combination of treatments to bring a close to total relief within 5-10 years I think.

Big ifs but not totally unachievable. I'm just happy at least this is being seriously looked at now by multiple biotechs in multiple countries. The work Frequency are doing with regards to how hearing loss patients have their lives changed for the worst is commendable on its own.
Honestly, that's my motivation for following all of this. I'm in for a long haul. If the company is successful with FX-322, that makes them more likely to be successful with nerve regeneration. Otonomy gives me some hope for synapses. Hough Ear Institute is a little iffy, but with real promising science. Sound Pharmaceuticals' SPI-1005 seems really promising and with the added incentive of helping a global pandemic. Rinri Therapeutics seems like the real deal, but with a difficult project at hand.

Then you figure the FX-322 delivery is probably further along than we realize. Frequency Therapeutics is super professional and conservative with their claims.

Really, in 10 years, we could be looking at hair cells, synapses, nerves, inflammation, and noise trauma interventions all covered. Certainly, lots of action within 20 years.

Obviously, 20 years is a long way to wait. However, my hope is that as more drugs hit the market, the capacity to cope keeps improving.

FX-322 is certainly not going to cure hearing loss in the next 5-10 years, for many reasons.
Let's say that they do have some success in a few years, ear doctors and the system in Northern California, as being one of 11 megaregions in the US, won't be able to service. The University of San Francisco might. Nationally, New York University and Mass Eye and Ear, but how are they going to handle patient load.

Education to the fullest and considerable time will be needed for each patient.

I have read articles by medical researchers saying that they are fed up with doctors not being educated about procedures per physical tinnitus. I once posted a long blog from them. One of a 100 notations - very few doctors know how to use a stethoscope and perform such tests for pulsatile tinnitus. This does take examination time. You can't just MRI the entire body to check veins and arteries for disease, so doctors should use a stethoscope on the feet, then move up and more so for older patients.
Others have pointed this out, but it would likely be like LASIK eye surgery. Centers would pop up probably that only address regenerative treatments and could increase patient flow.
Special trained - this may be the best that we will get, other than from large medical universities.

Honestly, that's my motivation for following all of this. I'm in for a long haul. If the company is successful with FX-322, that makes them more likely to be successful with nerve regeneration. Otonomy gives me some hope for synapses. Hough Ear Institute is a little iffy, but with real promising science. Sound Pharmaceuticals' SPI-1005 seems really promising and with the added incentive of helping a global pandemic. Rinri Therapeutics seems like the real deal, but with a difficult project at hand.

Then you figure the FX-322 delivery is probably further along than we realize. Frequency Therapeutics is super professional and conservative with their claims.

Really, in 10 years, we could be looking at hair cells, synapses, nerves, inflammation, and noise trauma interventions all covered. Certainly, lots of action within 20 years.

Obviously, 20 years is a long way to wait. However, my hope is that as more drugs hit the market, the capacity to cope keeps improving.
Exactly, right now it's not an "if" situation. It's a "when"; we're on the waiting game now, with a huge payoff at the end of the line. Let's stay strong for as long as it takes.

I don't think audiologists are going to get trained to do IT injections. I think this would likely be referring to EHF audiograms, WIN testing etc personally which are not done very often currently because hearing aids don't address these things.
Pretty much every employer in the world will refer to new tasks and responsibilities as "opportunities" for the employee. They don't want to say "you will have to use a more advanced machine & headset and administer a more time-consuming test," so it would make sense if this is what they're talking about here.

Pretty much every employer in the world will refer to new tasks and responsibilities as "opportunities" for the employee. They don't want to say "you will have to use a more advanced machine & headset and administer a more time-consuming test," so it would make sense if this is what they're talking about here.
"Welcome to more work for the same salary..."

"Enjoy the satisfaction of making your boss even richer using these new skills...!"

The "opportunity" is really to help more patients unless they work on commission but yeah it's typical corporate phrasing.

Any chance we could get the Phase 2 90-day readout results this evening, post market? They're not going to release the Phase 2 results during market hours, are they?

It won't cure total deafness as they're many different causes... but what about noise-induced hearing loss and age-related hearing loss that accounts for 90%?

More arsed about it doing something for tinnitus. My hidden hearing loss is something I can live with.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now