• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

I think tinnitus trial data could be as unreliable as word scores were, unfortunately, since it's all patient reported.

But if you are talking about the anecdote posted here, assuming it's real, I think it's more likely the brain just takes time to reverse maladaptive plasticity.
I agree with this. I would have liked to know how FX-322 will work if the doses were monthly instead of weekly. At least if they continue with a single dosage they can run the trials quicker and release a new delivery method once the drug is out in the market.

That's not really what i was saying. Even if the IHC theory is correct, the drug probably doesn't hang around for months to grow OHCs later. You would have to re-dose (a month or few later). Unless all your IHCs were already normal (which you can't test for).

If that anecdote is correct, it's more likely reversing maladaptive plasticity, which takes time.
The positive anecdote had improved word scores as well.

@Gb3, did she also show improvements in the extended frequency tests where they test for sounds and not words?

I'm sorry, but I really don't see how this could have good results if they continue with the same delivery method to the cochlea.

Can you explain that to me please?
Sure. Per Frequency Therapeutics, multi dosing may have upset hair cell development ("you don't walk on a seeded lawn..." was their quote). All patients got 4 shots.

The other thing is the problem of faking low word scores for entry into Phase 2a, which Frequency Therapeutics' audiologist said is confirmed because the medical record averages do not match their baseline group averages. This should be *really* obvious if it occurred when it's unblinded though.

The severe group have bad hearing. They don't need to fake anything: neither the EHF to get a lower PTA or a word score.

I'm guessing they should have done monthly FX-322 injetions instead of weekly. We have no idea if the drug delivery method was the problem or the additional doses in quick succession. At least we know now that with the current method weekly doses kill the process so if it does come out, monthly doses will be a better option.
Honestly, we don't know that definitively, it just seems the most likely scenario.

Given the quotes earlier in this thread with McLean citing "12 days," and with results from Phase 1 showing improvements after just 14 days, I'm not really surprised that they tried weekly doses to accelerate the process. I am surprised, however, at how utterly ineffective it was, and that there was no fallback plan (e.g. varied injection schedules) in case the outcomes were as catastrophic as they turned out to be.

The other thing is the problem of faking low word scores for entry into Phase 2a, which Frequency Therapeutics' audiologist said is confirmed because the medical record averages do not match their baseline group averages. This should be *really* obvious if it occurred when it's unblinded though.
Where did you find this? Did the audiologist say this during the video conference? Did they really use language that strong like faking? Either way, I was wondering about the difference between baseline and screening.

I take this for now but is hard if they don't show real improvements. 85% to 100% of success.
I agree with this that 34% of patients improving 10% or more is not enough but we don't know how much the 66% of patients improved. Some of the patients in the 66% category may have been close to the 10% target. It would have been nice if they had reported how much those patients improved in the 66% category.

I don't understand why for several reasons that the treatment regimen consisted of using four weekly doses, instead of single-dose administrations which is now the plan.

One reason - flooding causing compression of water, sodium and potassium - some other questionable reasons also in article.

The cochlea is filled with a watery liquid, the endolymph,

Cochlea - Wikipedia

Where did you find this? Did the audiologist say this during the video conference? Did they really use language that strong like faking? Either way, I was wondering about the difference between baseline and screening.
He used the word unconscious bias but that's clearly the implication (that the scores were not genuine, he just phrased it nicely as not to insult the participants probably):

"Patients, our subjects, they desperately need hearing solutions," said Kevin Franck, Ph.D., senior vice president of strategic marketing and new product planning. "When we communicated there were entry criteria of a depressed word score, we may have induced an unconscious bias in subjects who wanted to get into the trial."​

Honestly, we don't know that definitively, it just seems the most likely scenario.

Given the quotes earlier in this thread with McLean citing "12 days," and with results from Phase 1 showing improvements after just 14 days, I'm not really surprised that they tried weekly doses to accelerate the process. I am surprised, however, at how utterly ineffective it was, and that there was no fallback plan (e.g. varied injection schedules) in case the outcomes were as catastrophic as they turned out to be.
Maybe they should have done both; have some participants get FX-322 weekly and some participants get FX-322 monthly.

52wg33.jpg

They really should have done 14 days but maybe their thought was quicker dosing might help it get further in negating the "stepping on seeded lawn" problem that they weren't aware of.

I'm so confused. How can someone have "stability" and lie about their screening scores to get in? Did they not include WR scores as a component of stability? Did they create a trail of lies (>=6 month session and screening)? This seems unlikely.

This is what the clinical trial inclusion criteria says

2. Established diagnosis of stable sensorineural hearing loss by standard audiometric measures for ≥ 6 months prior to the Screening visit (no changes in air conduction greater than 10 dB at a single frequency or greater than 5 dB at two contiguous frequencies from the prior audiogram to the Screening audiogram in the study ear).​

Also, if the baseline scores were higher than screening, doesn't that sort of mean that there was less placebo cheating? In other words, they may have exaggerated to get in, but felt safe once in to do the baseline and rest of the tests correctly?

I don't understand why for several reasons that the treatment regimen consisted of using four weekly doses, instead of single-dose administrations which is now the plan.

One reason - flooding causing compression of water, sodium and potassium - some other questionable reasons also in article.

The cochlea is filled with a watery liquid, the endolymph,

Cochlea - Wikipedia
Otonomy at least has a better drug delivery idea (slow extended release).

The severe group have bad hearing. They don't need to fake anything: neither the EHF to get a lower PTA or a word score.
I got it.

In the bad case scenario, where the severe group doesn't see improvements, would that mean that FX-322 doesn't work, what do you think? Or would it be a delivery method issue? How can we be sure what is the real issue?

Maybe they should have done both; have some participants get FX-322 weekly and some participants get FX-322 monthly.
Yeah. I don't think they made anyone aware of the pacing of the multiple injections. It's easy for me to look back in hindsight and say "oh shit, no, not that fast, no god please" but I wonder what my opinion would've been had we known beforehand. It's really odd that all schedules followed such a rapid pace though, for sure.
They really should have done 14 days but maybe their thought was quicker dosing might help it get further in negating the "stepping on seeded lawn" problem that they weren't aware of.
Hard to say I could follow their logic post-facto with these numbers on the board but yeah, who knows.

In the bad case scenario, where the severe group doesn't see improvements, would that mean that FX-322 doesn't work, what do you think? Or would it be a delivery method issue? How can we be sure what is the real issue?
As in nothing at all happens in any individual? Then yeah, I would say it doesn't work or the delivery method is just atrocious considering it works in explants.

We have two (at least in my opinion) credible anecdotes.
OK WOW, 2 anecdotes. :) :) I can find you 2 anecdotes of low-level lasers helping tinnitus too.

Anecdote:

1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person;
2. an account regarded as unreliable or hearsay.

Either way, it's not being trialed for tinnitus, so... tinnitus would just be an off label thing and so far it's not looking good for hearing loss with these fakes.

FX-322 was my only hope. I have waited over 2 years, tortured to no end by tinnitus, only to learn this drug doesn't do anything or work at all, with no proper candidate to alleviate my suffering anytime soon.

I will now start putting my things in order and put an end to my suffering. It is sad it has come to this but I can't live like this.

I have heard Pegasos does accept tinnitus sufferers as potential candidates.
I remember you from the scene, it's heartbreaking and scary how tinnitus can destroy healthy and smart brain. I have had tinnitus for 10 years. Last year it got so bad that it literally hurts. I can't say anything optimistic, FX-322 was my last hope. There's no hope now, we're going to die with tinnitus. It's not going anywhere. It's only going to get worse and worse, that's my experience. People who say it gets better ARE LYING.

Re the additional Phase 1b trials that were announced quite out of the blue if remember correctly - I wonder if these studies were made up quickly due to early indication that Phase 2a was not doing well and Frequency Therapeutics needed something to reinforce original trial results and keep an iron in the fire. I could be misinformed on this so shoot it down if need be.

@FGG, @Zugzug, I didn't know that WR was not an important factor in recruitment in Phase 1/2 and this has given me a bit of hope (how about the Phase 1b trials though?). The next Phase 1b studies will be really interesting, however, still not enough to prove anything even if results appear good unless I'm missing something.

I'm coming to the conclusion that worst case scenario is that the good WR result from the Phase 1/2 & 1b trial were fluke, or bias (which I have slightly more confidence that this is unlikely now), or best case scenario it works but can't be proven with audiogram because likely it is down to something like only IHC regenerate, or both IHC and OHC regenerate but only IHC regenerate functionally.

I need to be re-convinced again that FX-322 even works. Good results from the Phase 1b trials will go a way to doing that but not conclusively.

They should just say fuck it and run another Phase 1b study on the home-bound, bed-bound, pain-ridden, crippled tinnitus and noxacusis sufferers and see if we get our social lives, music, careers, family and friend connections, quality of life back.

OK WOW, 2 anecdotes. :) :) I can find you 2 anecdotes of low-level lasers helping tinnitus too.

Anecdote:

1. a short amusing or interesting story about a real incident or person;
2. an account regarded as unreliable or hearsay.

Either way, it's not being trialed for tinnitus, so... tinnitus would just be an off label thing and so far it's not looking good for hearing loss with these fakes.
You asked, I answered, you don't need to be a jerk; we're all in the same boat here.

I agree with your second statement, however, I believe in the PCA treatment. Science is trial and error. They aren't done.

You are right, I apologize. I guess I was egotistically thinking only about my own issue.

Let's hope it works for those conditions as well.
It's understandable. Maybe we can find out more in May whether there were any tinnitus improvements or not. I still have faith that this will be able to go to the pivotal phase early next year if the severe hearing loss trial shows substantial improvements. Maybe they can let us know out of the 34% of patients that showed 10% or more of word score improvement if any of them were considered to have severe hearing loss.

If the severe category shows no improvements, that means the drug only targets the high frequencies and they may need to develop a new delivery method or they may need additional doses spread out e.g., monthly.

This is my opinion suffering from tinnitus and 4khz deafness.
This is an opinion from the perspective that FX-322 is a drug for deafness.

It may be rough. When it comes to the situation so far... No matter how many injections with a small effect are given in succession, only a small effect can be obtained.

The solution is to make a drug that has a clear effect on the audiogram with a single injection, and then inject it multiple times at non-consecutive intervals, which makes sense.

A single injection was even a little effective. Therefore, there is no choice but to thoroughly improve the performance with a single injection. Difficult. But the only option is that way. After all, they have to rethink pharmaceuticals from scratch. Delivery, concentration, etc. Perhaps it was a recruitment of human resources for pharmaceuticals for that purpose.

I quoted from @Diesel before, there is no choice but to modify the drug in Phase 1b. Otherwise, it will not be a useful drug. If the 10 dB improvement so far is a fluke and that is not possible, then the drug is certainly dead.

In addition, Isn't it Phase 1 and Phase 2 that are undergoing trial and error regarding the number of doses and the amount of drug (in this case, the amount of molecules per dose)?

Something that needs to be said I think...

No-one in this group (including @nightowl) is responsible for the results of this trial. Frequency Therapeutics are responsible for the design of the trial and bear sole responsibility for its flaws. Whatever may have been said on social media should have been taken account of. They are also responsible for the hype that made people so keen to get on the trial in the first place. Them, not us.

Thanks for listening.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now