• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

What was the cause of your tinnitus? Any hearing loss?

I don't think "metallic sea shell sound" is very typical and I have read that as a description for tinnitus being caused by less common things like patent cochlear aqueduct, Perilymph Fistula, hydrops, etc. Did they rule those kinds of things out?
I have had occurrences of what @OptimusPrimed has described. Electrical chirps, tinny sounds, a tone that comes and goes. All from good old fashion noise exposure.

I have had occurrences of what @OptimusPrimed has described. Electrical chirps, tinny sounds, a tone that comes and goes. All from good old fashion noise exposure.
I have tinny sounds as well (in my case probably from my LF hearing loss). The "metallic sea shell" sound seems more unusual.

Makes me think of this video:

Meniere's symptoms can also be related to middle ear muscle dysfunction:

Middle Ear Muscle Dysfunction as the Cause of Meniere's Disease

So I wonder if that's part of where the "sea shell" distortions come from in your case too, @Diesel? Since you have a lot of middle ear symptoms.

It's obviously possible it's a less common presentation of the more typical cochlear injury, but just haven't noticed too many people using that description personally and it caught my eye.

They suggested they may do a more spread-out multi-dose study in the future.
My imagination is that if the new Phase 2 is successful and they identify a target population that will benefit from FX-322, Phase 3 will investigate the appropriate interval between multiple injections.

It is important to find an interval that does not adversely affect the outcome.

Also, whether the effect is accelerated or simply stacked, if the proper intervals have not been confirmed, even if FX-322 is put on the market, it can only be injected once (in extreme terms, once-in-a-lifetime ).

The merit of "not depleting supporting cells" is also lost.

My imagination is that if the new Phase 2 is successful and they identify a target population that will benefit from FX-322, Phase 3 will investigate the appropriate interval between multiple injections.

It is important to find an interval that does not adversely affect the outcome.

Also, whether the effect is accelerated or simply stacked, if the proper intervals have not been confirmed, even if FX-322 is put on the market, it can only be injected once (in extreme terms, once-in-a-lifetime ).

The merit of "not depleting supporting cells" is also lost.
If they do test out multi-dosing again, they should have it as a separate trial that does not delay the single-dosing trials. Let the single dose of FX-322 be approved and out in the market ASAP.

I'm still skimming through this topic. Not sure why any more. Kudos to the three main contributors that remain. I found a recent review of the general subject of hair cell regeneration that might be useful. The authors note that support cells near OHCs are less plastic than those near IHCs which would tie in with FGG's theory (this might already have been mentioned).

Transcription Factor Reprogramming in the Inner Ear: Turning on Cell Fate Switches to Regenerate Sensory Hair Cells
This article is specifically talking about plasticity towards transdifferentiation through things like ATOH1 overexpression (i.e. turning a support cell directly into a hair cell). This is more the Audion Therapeutics method than the Frequency Therapeutics method.

Really interesting that they pointed to doing this with fibroblasts too, though. That would eventually be helpful with cases of "flat epithelia".

What was the cause of your tinnitus? Any hearing loss?

I don't think "metallic sea shell sound" is very typical and I have read that as a description for tinnitus being caused by less common things like patent cochlear aqueduct, Perilymph Fistula, hydrops, etc. Did they rule those kinds of things out?
Shotgun with no earplugs. 2007. But I got a new tone two weeks ago after a loud work weekend.

Chronic pain sucks.

Just hoping maybe one day I'll have some relief.

I have tinny sounds as well (in my case probably from my LF hearing loss). The "metallic sea shell" sound seems more unusual.

Makes me think of this video:

Meniere's symptoms can also be related to middle ear muscle dysfunction:

Middle Ear Muscle Dysfunction as the Cause of Meniere's Disease

So I wonder if that's part of where the "sea shell" distortions come from in your case too, @Diesel? Since you have a lot of middle ear symptoms.

It's obviously possible it's a less common presentation of the more typical cochlear injury, but just haven't noticed too many people using that description personally and it caught my eye.
Interesting stuff. Definitely not to the level of the Meniere's Disease video. I have suspected Middle Ear Muscle Dysfunction may be playing a role, as those muscles can play a role is modifying how sound is transmitted from the eardrum to the cochlea. I have learned over time, that the "environment" or "state" of the middle ear, including the small air pocket and ability for air to pass out of the middle ear is important in transmitting sound effectively to the cochlea.

I guess to put it more technically, when things sound "tinny" to me, it's almost as if sound is passing through a "band pass" or "high pass filter" before reaching the ear. Or if an imaginary EQ existed; that certain frequencies were temporarily maxed out amongst an otherwise tuned EQ. It does seem to settle after a while, so I always attributed it to an effect of one of the "hyperacusis" symptoms where the brain is turning up / tuning specific IHC/OHC that aren't providing a signal within the expected range.

Shotgun with no earplugs. 2007. But I got a new tone two weeks ago after a loud work weekend.

Chronic pain sucks.

Blasts like from a shotgun can cause both secondary hydrops or a perilymph fistula. Look into both just to make sure you have ruled those in/out as a cause. It may not apply but it is something that you could be treating now and just not know it.

If they do test out multi-dosing again, they should have it as a separate trial that does not delay the single-dosing trials. Let the single dose of FX-322 be approved and out in the market ASAP.
For that purpose, I think that the multi-dosing trial will be conducted in parallel with Phase 2 or will be conducted after it is put on the market.

Chronic pain sucks.

Did you do a lot of shooting? I have major problems after exposure to 10 or 15 rounds from a small caliber handgun. Earplug didn't seal on the right side.

So for the low IQ individuals like myself (I've been away for weeks), do we still have any hope on FX-322?
Yes.

- Firm plans to move FX-322 to pivotal as a single-dose drug.
- Two remaining Phase 1B trials still active, may help to further identify specific population to help with single dose (some speculate it will be the severe trial that is most revealing).
- Lucchino mentioned additional Phase 1Bs planned for 2H/2021.

Yes.

- Firm plans to move FX-322 to pivotal as a single-dose drug.
- Two remaining Phase 1B trials still active, may help to further identify specific population to help with single dose (some speculate it will be the severe trial that is most revealing).
- Lucchino mentioned additional Phase 1Bs planned for 2H/2021.
I thought that the severe group would have fewer supporting cells so it would be less effective... I guess we will see.

So right now, with what we know, what is the best case scenario in a single injection scenario?

If you have almost perfect hearing with a slight loss of 0 dB to 10 dB at 8 kHz -> FX-322 might help

If you are able to hear, but have decreased word scores -> FX-322 might help

If you have hearing loss from 8 kHz to 16 kHz -> FX-322 might help

If you have super high frequency tinnitus from 8 kHz to 16 kHz -> FX-322 might help

Is there anything more we can hope for at this point?

Multiple injections spread out over months might provide additional gains in any of the items mentioned above.

Anyone feel free to correct me if I am wrong or if I missed something.

Anyone remember CGF166? Here are the results. They seem pretty similar to what we have now:

Pharma giant Novartis has suspended the clinical trials of the experimental treatment CGF166. One of the lead investigators, Columbia University's Dr. Lawrence Lustig, says, "We were not getting the results we'd hoped for."
Dr. Lustig also points out that, "A couple of patients did show noticeable improvements." Perhaps that's why the trials have been suspended but not cancelled.

I thought that the severe group would have fewer supporting cells so it would be less effective... I guess we will see.

So right now, with what we know, what is the best case scenario in a single injection scenario?

If you have almost perfect hearing with a slight loss of 0 dB to 10 dB at 8 kHz -> FX-322 might help

If you have super high frequency tinnitus from 8 kHz to 16 kHz -> FX-322 might help

Multiple injections spread out over months might provide additional gains in any of the items mentioned above.

Anyone remember CGF166? Here are the results. They seem pretty similar to what we have now:

Pharma giant Novartis has suspended the clinical trials of the experimental treatment CGF166. One of the lead investigators, Columbia University's Dr. Lawrence Lustig, says, "We were not getting the results we'd hoped for."
Dr. Lustig also points out that, "A couple of patients did show noticeable improvements." Perhaps that's why the trials have been suspended but not cancelled.
You don't start to lose support cells until the profound range per a researcher who is working on "flat epithelia" told me. It's the very last thing to go.

For FX-322, I don't think that will be a factor as long as profound patients are excluded.

The support cell problem is likely very relevant with CGF166, though. Their drug transduced support cells and not fibroblasts but many of their patients (if not most) were actually profound and probably had been long enough to deteriorate to the point of losing a significant amount of support cells. This is again a patient selection problem. Not to mention drilling into the cochlea causes inflammatory damage and their surgery is destructive (which is probably why they chose more profound patients in the first place).

I think this is a fair assessment assuming the product is approved.

Best case scenario to get FX-322 to approval is that it performs well on the common hearing assessments currently used in the clinic for a specific group that stands to show consistent improvement, reliably.

Based on what we know from the Phase 1/2, that's a patient group with moderate - moderately severe hearing loss. As for severe, there may be more missing support cells, but perhaps the hair cell situation is even worse, so triggering regeneration in even some of the remaining support cells may provide a measurable benefit.

I am all of those except for the word scores.

This is why I'm looking at this thread constantly.

Honestly my only problem seems to be tinnitus, I hear absolutely everything.

Sometimes I ask people to repeat themselves but that's it. I can even hear really well over long distances without shouting.

I wonder if FX-322 or OTO-313 would work on me?

I just hope they stick to their word in regards to their next trial starting in January/February. I would be devastated if that got pushed back to 2023.

I am hoping that when June rolls around, they not only release the results of the trials, but tell us when recruitment for the next trial will begin.

I just hope they stick to their word in regards to their next trial starting in January/February. I would be devastated if that got pushed back to 2023.

I am hoping that when June rolls around, they not only release the results of the trials, but tell us when recruitment for the next trial will begin.
Before Phase 2 dropped, like a week before, someone called them and they were told there were going to be trials this year.

Vaccine development is a long complex process. It usually takes 10 to 15 years. We did it in one. If there was an urgency and the world banded together, we could have something in a year, just like the COVID-19 vaccine we have now.

I disagree with some of the comments... Money makes the world go round. If I had a billion dollars under my management, and I was allowed to spend it, we'd have something in a year. I could run many trials simultaneously. I could hire scientists for $50k a year. I would collaborate with scientists across the world. I could put 20 scientists on each team, run 100 experiments at a time, each looking into every avenue of tinnitus and hearing loss.

I might not have a cure but I'd have something... and it probably wouldn't be FDA approved, but you could come to my house and get it.
Same... If only we were billionaires.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now