• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

If OTO-313 can quiet tinnitus then there's no chance that the patients it works in could have tinnitus originating in the auditory cortex or even the DCN because NONE of it would reach those areas via IT injection.
No, but the way I think it works is the same way research is trying to uncover. How damage to the cochlea ends up with malfunctioning in the brain, tinnitus.

The brain learns of the damage in the cochlea through electrical signals and neurotransmitters. If the message that something is wrong is blocked, the brain might stop the malfunctioning that leads to tinnitus. That's how I think these drugs work, and why I also hope hearing restoration through regrowing hair cells, synapses, or nerve preparation might also stop the tinnitus.

Here's the truth.

These types of drugs work. They restore hearing. FACT. Restoring hearing will alleviate tinnitus and hyperacusis PROBABLY FACT. They are also kinda dangerous because they are messing with cellular signalling pathways that can trigger tumors and other stuff. FACT. As long as they don't get into the blood stream then they are okay. FACT. That is why phase 1 was measuring blood plasma levels.

Here's the doom scenario, and I am speaking from experience. An ENT is doing this procedure, and sticks the needle in a little too far and instead of injecting the gel into the middle ear cavity, they inject it into the middle ear epithelium. That will introduce the drug I to the bloodstream. BAD. It can happen. One time Minbo Shim did that to me with PRP, and it hurt so bad that I was cussing him out. It was up there in the most painful things I ever experienced, but that was 1 out of > 100. AND it was PRP so it was okay.

I 100% believe this is a full blown cure for many of us, but success depends on the steady hand of the ENT/Otolaryngologist doing the procedure and it could be the difference between life and death. And it will not be a one time shot, this will undoubtedly require multiple injections.

Make no mistake, this is some high wire medical shit that will require the ENT to be perfect with their hands. Despite the awesomeness of this technology, the major risks might sink this. Hope not. :)
What would be all the consequences if FX-322 was injected into the epithelium by accident?

Her device is the original, Lenire is basically a knock off by a private Irish start up company.

In fact when I emailed her about it, she seemed pretty skeptical of it. She warned of clinical trials lacking placebo control.

So you haven't seen the interview Tinnitus Talk has with her or her ATA podcast interview? She's one of the world's leading tinnitus researchers. Possibly the lead one, actually.
I didn't realize it was a knock off of her device. I figured she was part of that.

I'd sure love to see more info on her device moving forward. Odd it's so behind Lenire in terms of being released and tested.

Hey, if people are really getting silence now due to Lenire's bimodal stimulation treatment then that's news to me - and that's awesome. But I haven't seen too many glowing reviews of it here.
You really can't compare Lenire to Dr. Shore's device. They are similar in that they are both bimodal stimulation devices but the key component of timings are majorly different. No one seems to be paying much attention to that. Compare the timings of Lenire to Dr. Shore's published research data and you will see why Lenire doesn't have much effect or even makes people's tinnitus worse.

Dr. Shore's device is going to blow Lenire out of the water.

No, but the way I think it works is the same way research is trying to uncover. How damage to the cochlea ends up with malfunctioning in the brain, tinnitus.

The brain learns of the damage in the cochlea through electrical signals and neurotransmitters. If the message that something is wrong is blocked, the brain might stop the malfunctioning that leads to tinnitus. That's how I think these drugs work, and why I also hope hearing restoration through regrowing hair cells, synapses, or nerve preparation might also stop the tinnitus.
I really hope so. If tinnitus is the phantom limb syndrome of damaged hair cells then restoring that lost hearing should fix the nerve synapses and lead to a downstream healing process where the brain picks up the restored input and through neuroplasticity eliminate tinnitus.

I didn't realize it was a knock off of her device. I figured she was part of that.

I'd sure love to see more info on her device moving forward. Odd it's so behind Lenire in terms of being released and tested.
In terms of being released, she aims for 2020 but makes no promises, ultimately it's up to the FDA.

She hopes to have the results of the ongoing study by halfway 2020, I'm praying for release shortly after.

Even then, I still don't understand how stress can cause tinnitus in people or how idiopathic tinnitus is a thing.
That's what I keep coming back to. If we have found THE mechanism then why would it happen in all these other situations?

Bottom line is we don't know until we know.

Saying tinnitus was cured in mice is like saying your great uncle's neighbor from another country won the lottery once. "Okay......cool story"

If tinnitus is in the brain, why does it get louder when I put my ear on the pillow, as it's a contact thing?? I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this while resting!

If tinnitus is in the brain, why does it get louder when I put my ear on the pillow, as it's a contact thing?? I'm sure I'm not the only one who experiences this while resting!
I have the same. I assume it's because I'm removing some masking. In my case this seems to only happen when i lay on my left ear though my tinnitus sounds bilateral. Does that mean I actually have unilateral tinnitus with poor localization because of my potential DCN damage? Who knows?

That's what I keep coming back to. If we have found THE mechanism then why would it happen in all these other situations?

Bottom line is we don't know until we know.

Saying tinnitus was cured in mice is like saying your great uncle's neighbor from another country won the lottery once. "Okay......cool story"
Probably because there are different etiologies behind tinnitus. But for many people tinnitus is caused by damage to the hair cells so surely fixing those broken hair cells should fix tinnitus caused by that etiology?

Etiologies... in my case, I'm pretty sure tinnitus was caused by years of taking a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug for my headaches. It must have damaged my hair cells! Now I'm desperate :cry:

Do you guys think FX-322 is safe? What if more injections like the four they are doing in the clinical trial is too much? What if that causes very sensitive hearing or the growth of a tumor or something crazy. I guess that's why it's a trial, just curious on your guys thoughts.

So if they screw up the intratympanic injection...what if it goes down the eustachian tube?
Well, most of it will flush down the Eustachian tubes so...... I dunno. If they screw up the injection, I honestly don't know.

The amounts of gamma secretase inhibitors they gave the rodents that caused tumors were very large compared to what's being injected so you'll probably be okay if it flushes down your tubes.

Well, most of it will flush down the Eustachian tubes so...... I dunno. If they screw up the injection, I honestly don't know.

The amounts of gamma secretase inhibitors they gave the rodents that caused tumors were very large compared to what's being injected so you'll probably be okay if it flushes down your tubes.
Would you do the phase 2 trial if you qualified? Not knowing the long or short term side effects?

If anyone here does get into the trial, please tell us. As this message board is completely anonymous, you don't have to worry about blowing your cover. I just would like to know if a member does get into the trial. I don't need to know specific details.

If anyone here does get into the trial, please tell us. As this message board is completely anonymous, you don't have to worry about blowing your cover. I just would like to know if a member does get into the trial. I don't need to know specific details.
Should I try to apply if I have to drive about 60 miles to get to the trial? I wish they were doing it in Miami, Florida.

Do you think it will help with tinnitus as well?
Of course I do.
They are testing it with a higher dose and tinnitus this time, and will reveal their results in about a year, so we shall see.

I can only judge this based on my own knowledge and the proof will come out, so we shall see.

If injected properly into the middle ear, yes. Eaten or injected into the blood? Cancer territory.
I've been following this thread for a while before commenting, but this question came to me when you mentioned the safety of ingesting it. Wouldn't the FX-322 draining down the Eustachian tube end up in the same place as if it were ingested? The Eustachian tube would drain into the throat.

Since you have had similar injections before, did you have to be concerned about spitting up/out anything that drained out of the Eustachian tube to avoid it being ingested? Thanks in advance for your reply.

But can't they compare it to a normal person's MRI? Yes, and they do.
That's what they do, that's how they know the sound is real, because it's handled through the auditory cortex and there are significant differences shown in tinnitus patients against control.
And yet the doctor in charge of my OTO-313 trial knows that tinnitus is in the brain.
It's not "in the brain", the brain just processes the extra signaling (the tinnitus sound) it perceives, hence why the brain activity is increased, if a sound is heard, obviously the auditory cortex and other correlated portions of the brain have to process it, that said, the sound itself (or rather the signals the brain perceives and transcribes as sound) originates elsewhere, more often than not, in the case of somatosensory, that would be in the cochlea.

That extra signaling can also be caused by a lack of nerve/synapses input, as the auditory cortex expects a feedback from the cochlea (the information in between the cochlea and the cochlea and the auditory cortex is bidirectional), this is likely why you may still perceive "sound" when the auditory nerve is cut/disconnected.

I've been following this thread for a while before commenting, but this question came to me when you mentioned the safety of ingesting it. Wouldn't the FX-322 draining down the Eustachian tube end up in the same place as if it were ingested? The Eustachian tube would drain into the throat.

Since you have had similar injections before, did you have to be concerned about spitting up/out anything that drained out of the Eustachian tube to avoid it being ingested? Thanks in advance for your reply.
I didn't just get PRP injected, some other stuff, and yes, I spit that up. I could taste and smell it when it came down my eustachian tubes.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now