• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

Frequency Therapeutics — Hearing Loss Regeneration

This latest run up is bananas. It's not clear at all what's driving it. Otonomy (OTIC) has also been climbing, but not as fast and they have trial data due this month.
Zack's just published "Find Strong Stocks with this New Analyst Screen". Frequency Therapeutics is mentioned. Reason they gave for run-up in last 30 days is because of increase of analysts from 2 to 3. I do agree with this as being one reason and will place this as reason 2.

The top reason is demographics, meaning many investors have association to sites like here and then past thoughts on to relatives and friends by word of mouth. I would say that at least 25% of volume is from this. Also many of the investment funds that are invested in FREQ are well known to invest in small volume companies where private investors have a special interest.

At the close of market today, the Ameritrade research team advised to reduce positions. I had posted to buy at 21, a month or so ago, but there may be some profit taking until we get closer to new data readouts.

Yes, noise affects support cells but it depends on the volume level/time of exposure.

It would be interesting to know how much noise affects it, if the cell would be still able to regrow or no.

I used to be on this thread a couple of years ago and they've always grown back slightly odd. That doesn't mean they aren't fully functional. Especially due to the progress we've seen time and time again in their clinical trial phases. If they are confident in the functionality and longevity of the hair cells, then we don't have a reason to question it.

Really most questions here have been asked and researched multiple times before. I take the fact that this thread is still going to be a healthy sign of optimism. They aren't marketing a word recognition drug, so it must mean they're seeing positive results in people's hearing as well.

Maybe it'd benefit us to look for evidence stating that hair cells shaped that way aren't functional.
On my good days, I don't think about such things as you mentioned above but on my bad days I do wonder. But I'm glad I have people here who keep telling us to hold onto hope. That's what I'm trying to do. No one understands how damaged ears damages life...

I found an interesting picture of a mouse's cochlea after FX-322 injection.

Here it is:

fx-322-cochlea-hair-cells.png

Hair cells created are in good shape in my opinion.

I was just wondering where that picture comes from. For OTO-616 Otonomy has released such pictures but Frequency Therapeutics did not so far as I recall. So it would be nice to have a source for that.
That picture is from a Russian doctor but I don't know where he got it.

So, it means the Phase 2A trial could be the final trial? Or will it be followed up by a Phase 2B?
I don't think so, that's too premature. But we don't know if the results of the Phase 2a are on another level and beyond what we thought. The important point is the low frequencies, mostly those which encompasses speech. If they can reach it, I think this drug has nothing more to prove.

This makes me wonder if CIs would actually help noxacusis in this case because they destroy the sensory cells where the electrodes are placed.
I've started reading a bit more into this, one thing really confuses me though. The cochlear implant seems to get inserted into the Scala Tympani (the lower tunnel) and not the Scala Media (the middle tunnel where the hair cells are). It seems like it would be difficult for the implant to damage the hair cells yet everything I find does say that it is very destructive to what's left. What it seems can happen though is that either the basilar membrane can tear or the implant can deviate into the Scala Media which would both cause damage to structures in the Scala Media.

I just wonder if under the scenario where it was properly inserted into the Scala Tympani with no other damage it would retain any natural hearing?

i1.png

I just wonder if under the scenario where it was properly inserted into the Scala Tympani with no other damage it would retain any natural hearing?
You may be right. From following a few discussions elsewhere, it seems that there's a significant difference between surgeons. Some are better than others at minimising damage to residual hearing when they do the procedure.

I've started reading a bit more into this, one thing really confuses me though. The cochlear implant seems to get inserted into the Scala Tympani (the lower tunnel) and not the Scala Media (the middle tunnel where the hair cells are). It seems like it would be difficult for the implant to damage the hair cells yet everything I find does say that it is very destructive to what's left. What it seems can happen though is that either the basilar membrane can tear or the implant can deviate into the Scala Media which would both cause damage to structures in the Scala Media.

View attachment 42191
From what I understand the insertion itself causes a lot of inflammation that can be more widely destructive to the cochlea.

Frequency Therapeutics to Host Investor Event on the Potential for Restorative Treatments for Acquired Sensorineural Hearing Loss

WOBURN, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: FREQ), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on harnessing the body's innate biology to repair or reverse damage caused by a broad range of degenerative diseases, today announced plans to host a virtual event and live Q&A session on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8:00 am ET.

Leading researchers and clinicians, along with Company executives, will discuss current interventions for the treatment of acquired sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), unmet medical needs for hearing loss patients and the potential of FX-322 to transform the current standard of care.

Presenters to include:
  • Robert S. Langer, Sc.D., Scientific Co-Founder; Member of Frequency's Board of Directors; David H. Koch Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  • Lawrence R. Lustig, M.D., Chair, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Columbia University
  • René H. Gifford, Ph.D., Professor, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Director, Cochlear Implant Program, Vanderbilt University
  • Frank Lin, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Cochlear Center for Hearing and Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Event Details:

To join the webcast and live Q&A on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. ET, please visit the "Investors & Media" section of the Frequency website at www.investors.frequencytx.com. A webcast replay will be archived on the Frequency Therapeutics website for up to 60 days following the event.

Frequency Therapeutics to Host Investor Event on the Potential for Restorative Treatments for Acquired Sensorineural Hearing Loss

WOBURN, Mass.--(BUSINESS WIRE)-- Frequency Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq: FREQ), a clinical-stage biotechnology company focused on harnessing the body's innate biology to repair or reverse damage caused by a broad range of degenerative diseases, today announced plans to host a virtual event and live Q&A session on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8:00 am ET.

Leading researchers and clinicians, along with Company executives, will discuss current interventions for the treatment of acquired sensorineural hearing loss (SNHL), unmet medical needs for hearing loss patients and the potential of FX-322 to transform the current standard of care.

Presenters to include:
  • Robert S. Langer, Sc.D., Scientific Co-Founder; Member of Frequency's Board of Directors; David H. Koch Institute Professor, Massachusetts Institute of Technology
  • Lawrence R. Lustig, M.D., Chair, Department of Otolaryngology – Head and Neck Surgery, Columbia University
  • René H. Gifford, Ph.D., Professor, Hearing and Speech Sciences, Director, Cochlear Implant Program, Vanderbilt University
  • Frank Lin, M.D., Ph.D., Director, Cochlear Center for Hearing and Public Health, Johns Hopkins Bloomberg School of Public Health
Event Details:

To join the webcast and live Q&A on Tuesday, January 19, 2021 at 8:00 a.m. ET, please visit the "Investors & Media" section of the Frequency website at www.investors.frequencytx.com. A webcast replay will be archived on the Frequency Therapeutics website for up to 60 days following the event.
It should be really interesting to hear Langer speak on this since he is one of the scientists who discovered this process.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now