• We have updated Tinnitus Talk.

If you come across any issues, please use our contact form to get in touch.

From Tinnitus Success Story to Square One After Playing Drums

Were you using earplugs when playing? I've been playing for over 25 years and never encountered any issues, even when playing with the loudest musicians, as long as I made sure I had mine in properly. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I'm grateful my parents recommended I start using ear protection when I began—otherwise, I'd probably be half-deaf by now.

It sounds like you're doing better, which is great to hear!

Were you using earplugs when playing? I've been playing for over 25 years and never encountered any issues, even when playing with the loudest musicians, as long as I made sure I had mine in properly. Maybe it doesn't make a difference, but I'm grateful my parents recommended I start using ear protection when I began—otherwise, I'd probably be half-deaf by now.

It sounds like you're doing better, which is great to hear!
Of course, being the idiot that I am, I wasn't prepared.

I never played in a band—just electronic drums at home with headphones, and not very often. Once, I went to a studio to play with friends without earplugs, and I had no problems.

The second time, I paid the price. It was specifically the cymbal in "Wake Me Up When September Ends" that did it. Ironically, it's not even a particularly loud song, but that cymbal in the chorus...

I even have a video of the moment I gave myself tinnitus. How fun!

I was doing better during the last week of August, but since September, I haven't been feeling as well. However, over the past few days, I'd say things are improving again.

Of course, being the idiot that I am, I wasn't prepared.

I never played in a band—just electronic drums at home with headphones, and not very often. Once, I went to a studio to play with friends without earplugs, and I had no problems.

The second time, I paid the price. It was specifically the cymbal in "Wake Me Up When September Ends" that did it. Ironically, it's not even a particularly loud song, but that cymbal in the chorus...

I even have a video of the moment I gave myself tinnitus. How fun!

I was doing better during the last week of August, but since September, I haven't been feeling as well. However, over the past few days, I'd say things are improving again.
Green Day definitely loves to lay on those crash cymbals! I'm glad to hear you're making progress.

Kai, I believe that's the first sign that you're beginning to heal! Most success stories start just like that around the 6-9 month mark, where people begin to notice their first improvements. Keep in mind that the fading process is gradual and subtle, so you may hardly notice it in the short term. Also, remember that healing isn't linear; you may still experience setbacks. However, those setbacks will be shorter, and the good days will become more frequent. I'm confident that six months from now, you'll be able to say you're feeling much better!
Hello @Furetto,

Thank you so much for your kind and supportive words. I don't know you well, or at all really, but from what I've seen on this forum, you are one of those rare people who are outgoing, positive, and supportive of others. You don't need to demean others to elevate yourself, and that's truly admirable. I've also encountered many other lovely and encouraging people here, like @Michael Leigh, @Luman, @Della, and @Hazel, to name just a few. My thanks go out to them as well!

No sooner had I written my post yesterday than the tinnitus started bothering me again, making me more aware of it, and it has persisted for the time being. On days like these, it feels as though the better days, where the intrusive noise was less noticeable and I could even block it out at times, were just a distant dream. Still, I hope, as you and @Luman have mentioned, that between the 7th and 12th month, significant or noticeable progress with habituation is often made. It would be such a relief if the setbacks became fewer and shorter. I'll keep you updated on how long this one lasts. Wishing you all the best, and let's definitely stay in touch!

P.S. For the past week and a half, I've been trying to be more consistent with proper sound enrichment (as I promised @Michael Leigh in a post). I make sure not to completely mask the ringing in my ears. It can be exhausting at times, but I believe it's helpful—or even necessary—for habituation. However, on really bad days, I can't help but mask the sound for hours, sometimes even longer, as it feels like a safe space for me, just as you mentioned before, @Furetto.

Hello @Furetto,

On days like these, it feels as though the better days, where the intrusive noise was less noticeable and I could even block it out at times, were just a distant dream. @Furetto.
Hey, remember that this is an experience we've all had—and you'll probably go through it again!

I recently went through a tough phase where I was so stressed that I asked my ENT for anti-anxiety medication. Thankfully, the past few days have been much better, and I feel like I'm really healing. That said, I'm prepared for a possible setback. I've even been sitting in a quiet room for a couple of hours, doing things without feeling the need to mask the tinnitus. Just a few days ago, I would've gone crazy if I didn't mask it. Maybe the tinnitus is quieter, maybe I'm habituating—or probably a combination of both.

Don't be too hard on yourself about trying to avoid masking all the time. I think a mix of total masking and noise below the masking level is the best approach. Tinnitus feeds on stress, and sometimes you just need to relax and get rid of that stress. Personally, I usually go for total masking in the evening, after BJJ, while enjoying a movie on the couch.

P.S. For some weird reason, both with my first bout of tinnitus and this time, I barely notice it when I take a hot bubble bath while scrolling on my phone or playing on my iPad. It always feels better afterward. Hot baths with entertainment seem to calm it down—give it a try!

Yes, that really gives me hope! It's great that you wrote or added this.

When you say that habituation has mostly worked for you, does that mean the ringing in your ears doesn't bother you most of the time? Or are you even able to block it out for hours or days, as many people describe?

In my case, it's been six months, and I'm still suffering a lot. However, the ringing in my ears hasn't been as bothersome lately, and I can partially block it out with the right (noisy) distractions. If you say it usually takes you about a year to habituate, then there's still hope for me (and many others).
I would only hear it when I went to bed for several years. Occasionally, I'd notice it here and there, but for the most part, it was a non-issue. I knew, though, that I couldn't afford to let it get worse. It took quite a while, and when I made it worse, it took even longer to improve. Eventually, it did go back to being a minor issue, but waiting for that felt like an eternity.

For me, full habituation happened when I stopped thinking about it. That's hard to do! I hear it more these days, but that's because I currently have a lot of spare time, which I'm grateful for. It's worth mentioning that habituation actually worked for me. It wasn't just some kind of denial; my brain truly tuned it out, even when I was listening to music or doing other activities.

I can't guarantee it will work for everyone, but it worked for me.

It took quite a while, and when I made it worse, it took even longer to improve. Eventually, it did go back to being a minor issue, but waiting for that felt like an eternity.
How long did it take for it to stop bothering you or for you to become habituated again? Did you do anything specific to help with this, or did you mainly focus on not thinking about it—and succeed?
For me, full habituation happened when I stopped thinking about it. That's hard to do!
It's really hard to stop thinking about it. Many guides—books, websites, and tinnitus counselors—advise you to distract yourself, to do something that captures your attention, and then the ringing in your ears should fade into the background or disappear altogether. For me, this still doesn't work most days, even after six months. My tinnitus isn't loud, but it's very intrusive. I probably still subconsciously give it too much importance, which makes me notice it almost all the time, no matter what I do.

Some say it's a matter of practice, that you should keep yourself busy with enjoyable or necessary activities—especially things unrelated to tinnitus. Over time, the brain is supposed to get better at shifting focus away from it. Can you confirm this, or do you have any tips on how you eventually managed to succeed?
I recently went through a tough phase where I was so stressed that I asked my ENT for anti-anxiety medication. Thankfully, the past few days have been much better, and I feel like I'm really healing. That said, I'm prepared for a possible setback. I've even been sitting in a quiet room for a couple of hours, doing things without feeling the need to mask the tinnitus. Just a few days ago, I would've gone crazy if I didn't mask it. Maybe the tinnitus is quieter, maybe I'm habituating—or probably a combination of both.
It's great that you've made such progress. I'm so happy for you!

I believe habituation and quieter tinnitus are two sides of the same coin. If you perceive the noise in your ears as quieter, your brain classifies it as less important and less threatening—which is exactly what habituation is!
Don't be too hard on yourself about trying to avoid masking all the time. I think a mix of total masking and noise below the masking level is the best approach. Tinnitus feeds on stress, and sometimes you just need to relax and get rid of that stress. Personally, I usually go for total masking in the evening, after BJJ, while enjoying a movie on the couch.
I think you're right—I'm too hard on myself, especially when it comes to trying to avoid masking as much as possible. Although, like you, masking often helps reduce my stress levels. However, I feel like I should be further along by now and able to manage without it. As a result, on bad days, both the tinnitus and the masking, which used to give me relief, end up frustrating me.

Deep down, I often think the same as you advise: I should use masking when I need it to get out of fight-or-flight mode and relax—regardless of what the tinnitus counselors say!

I think you're right—I'm too hard on myself, especially when it comes to trying to avoid masking as much as possible. Although, like you, masking often helps reduce my stress levels. However, I feel like I should be further along by now and able to manage without it. As a result, on bad days, both the tinnitus and the masking, which used to give me relief, end up frustrating me.

Deep down, I often think the same as you advise: I should use masking when I need it to get out of fight-or-flight mode and relax—regardless of what the tinnitus counselors say!
Maybe you're feeling anxious. You might want to consider taking Rivotril; it was a game changer for me.

Some say it's a matter of practice, that you should keep yourself busy with enjoyable or necessary activities—especially things unrelated to tinnitus. Over time, the brain is supposed to get better at shifting focus away from it. Can you confirm this, or do you have any tips on how you eventually managed to succeed?
Confirmed in my case.

Quick update, 2.5 months since onset:

I've been feeling much better since I started taking clonazepam (coincidence? Probably).

Last night, I went to sleep and literally forgot to play my cricket sounds—I slept all night in complete silence. Right now, I'm in a quiet room, and all I hear is an easily ignored faint hiss in the background.

My general mood has improved by +1000%!

Just a week ago, I was at a restaurant with my best friends, and all night I could hear the "eeee" sound over the crowd, which ruined my evening. All I could think about was when I could go home and put on the cricket sounds.

Now, I'm waiting until the 4-month mark, and if things stay like this, I'm going to write a success story and start an Italian YouTube channel about tinnitus (touch wood, fingers crossed).

If there's a setback, I'll be annoyed, but I know it's nothing out of the ordinary.

Quick update, 2.5 months since onset:

I've been feeling much better since I started taking clonazepam (coincidence? Probably).

Last night, I went to sleep and literally forgot to play my cricket sounds—I slept all night in complete silence. Right now, I'm in a quiet room, and all I hear is an easily ignored faint hiss in the background.

My general mood has improved by +1000%!

Just a week ago, I was at a restaurant with my best friends, and all night I could hear the "eeee" sound over the crowd, which ruined my evening. All I could think about was when I could go home and put on the cricket sounds.

Now, I'm waiting until the 4-month mark, and if things stay like this, I'm going to write a success story and start an Italian YouTube channel about tinnitus (touch wood, fingers crossed).

If there's a setback, I'll be annoyed, but I know it's nothing out of the ordinary.
Hello @Furetto,

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling much better and that you're about to write another success story!

I've had several really good days in a row, even a solid week, following my setback about a week ago. During that time, the tinnitus bothered me less, and I was able to block it out during daytime activities occasionally. I haven't needed masking for days, almost weeks—just some subtle sound enrichment playing in the background now and then. I was able to meditate without masking and actually enjoy it! I could read without masking and enjoy it! For the first time since I started suffering, I sat with my psychotherapist without having to play crickets, and it went smoothly! I felt so enthusiastic and thought, "Now it's really going uphill; habituation has kicked in or picked up speed!"

After even managing to sleep fully and coherently last night—a first in half a year—I thought today could be another good day. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I had another setback, which usually drags me back into a dark place filled with negative thoughts and feelings. Today, for the first time in almost two weeks, I needed masking all day just to keep from freaking out on the spot. It's incredibly frustrating that after seven months, this still brings me down so quickly. I'm immediately distressed instead of just annoyed and able to get through the day and function.

Hello @Furetto,

I'm glad to hear that you're feeling much better and that you're about to write another success story!

I've had several really good days in a row, even a solid week, following my setback about a week ago. During that time, the tinnitus bothered me less, and I was able to block it out during daytime activities occasionally. I haven't needed masking for days, almost weeks—just some subtle sound enrichment playing in the background now and then. I was able to meditate without masking and actually enjoy it! I could read without masking and enjoy it! For the first time since I started suffering, I sat with my psychotherapist without having to play crickets, and it went smoothly! I felt so enthusiastic and thought, "Now it's really going uphill; habituation has kicked in or picked up speed!"

After even managing to sleep fully and coherently last night—a first in half a year—I thought today could be another good day. Unfortunately, it wasn't. I had another setback, which usually drags me back into a dark place filled with negative thoughts and feelings. Today, for the first time in almost two weeks, I needed masking all day just to keep from freaking out on the spot. It's incredibly frustrating that after seven months, this still brings me down so quickly. I'm immediately distressed instead of just annoyed and able to get through the day and function.
I've had a similar experience, so my success story will have to wait a bit longer! :) In the past few days, it's been more intrusive and annoying. Yesterday, I was having dinner with friends and found it really hard to ignore all evening, even though the day before I managed to ignore it about 96% of the time. But as the experts on this forum often say, recovery isn't linear, so it's no big surprise, right?

From what I understand, the good days will continue to improve and last longer, just as you've recently experienced. Based on what you were writing a few weeks ago, it seems like you've made a significant improvement. The bad days will become less and less bothersome, so I'm sure you're on the right track, Kai! It seems like, for you, it wasn't just habituation; it was genuine healing with a noticeable reduction in volume.

Just hang in there during this slowdown, rely on our "cricket friends" to get you through, play some Baldur's Gate 3 like I do, and let's keep moving forward, my friend. By Christmas, we'll look back at September and see how much better we are compared to now.

Register

Register on Tinnitus Talk for free!

Register Now